Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2865632 - 07/09/17 01:29 PM new gtr museum / whadda y' think ?
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Songbirds Gtr Museum, Chattanooga, Tenn, USA, Planet Earf = https://songbirdsguitars.com/

Features 500 instruments at a time on rotating display from a the collections of 5 wealthy collectors (abt 2000 insts total / valued @ $200 M).

Curator & CEO = Dave Davidson, who apparently is the primary contact for all 5 anonymous collectors.

snax

GP Island
#2865647 - 07/09/17 02:25 PM Re: new gtr museum / whadda y' think ? [Re: d]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
It would be a whole lot easier for a lot of people to visit if it were in New York, London, LA, Toronto, etc. but I wish them all the best.

#2865650 - 07/09/17 02:35 PM Re: new gtr museum / whadda y' think ? [Re: Scott Fraser]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
True dat, SF but here's what I wonder: why's the CEO/ curator = the same cat that connects alla the anonymaous collectors ?

#2865653 - 07/09/17 02:50 PM Re: new gtr museum / whadda y' think ? [Re: d]
whitefang Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Maybe he has a good rapport with them in other matters and they've come to trust him.

But that's just a guess. And actually, I think Chattanooga would be easier for folks from the mid and western states to get to than NYC. But also, one would think NASHVILLE would have been a more natural choice. But as far as I'M concerned, he could move the whole works down my basement ANYTIME! wink
Whitefang

#2865967 - 07/10/17 03:32 PM Re: new gtr museum / whadda y' think ? [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I visited the musical instrument museum in Scottsdale Az. (For a $20 entrance fee) It was mildly interesting. I did see Dick Dale's Fender Showman Amp head and cabinet, and some other famous folks instruments and a few other things. But the thing that interested me the most was; some guy playing the piano near the entrance of the museum. He was doing those honky tonk licks very well. I sat and watched/listened to him while the other folks I was with finished all the rooms. That keys guy was entertaining, and exceptionally good at it.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2866081 - 07/11/17 04:42 AM Re: new gtr museum / whadda y' think ? [Re: desertbluesman]
MP Hall of Fame Member

$20?

Heh....I can go into the Detroit Institute of Arts (since I'm a senior citizen) and view some of the finest art ever created, plus that iconic DIEGO RIVERA mural for only $6.50!

Must be a HUGE difference in overhead between the two.

If that piano player was playing on an HISTORICAL instrument, it would have been MORE interesting IMHO. wink
Whitefang

#2866272 - 07/12/17 05:24 AM Re: new gtr museum / whadda y' think ? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Short, impulse reaction- it seems fantastic, and I think I'd love to go there!

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
It would be a whole lot easier for a lot of people to visit if it were in New York, London, LA, Toronto, etc. but I wish them all the best.

Good call. Maybe they should have several branch locations, what with all of the items they have- and potential themed exhibits and events- which could be in rotation between them...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2866324 - 07/12/17 08:38 AM Re: new gtr museum / whadda y' think ? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
JuJu Kwan Offline

Loc: Shenzhen, China
If I ever return to the United States I would go. It's close to Louisville, and I want to go to the Louisville Slugger Museum.

#2866332 - 07/12/17 08:57 AM Re: new gtr museum / whadda y' think ? [Re: JuJu Kwan]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
Sounds interesting but I got to back up the Fang comment about price a bit high compared to other places I been. I have to admit it has been a while so maybe 20 bucks is the right price. Jim

#2866796 - 07/14/17 08:53 AM Re: new gtr museum / whadda y' think ? [Re: whitefang]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
I can go into the Detroit Institute of Arts (since I'm a senior citizen) and view some of the finest art ever created, plus that iconic DIEGO RIVERA mural for only $6.50!

Glad that you do this!! Art rocks!!!

#2866830 - 07/14/17 10:50 AM Re: new gtr museum / whadda y' think ? [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Not going to be making the trip any time soon. If I did make the trip, the $20bucks wouldn't break the bank and I'd probably check out all those axes! cool

#2866959 - 07/15/17 04:32 AM Re: new gtr museum / whadda y' think ? [Re: Larryz]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Since I won't be making ANY trips anytime soon, I don't care WHAT they charge for admission. The closest thing to a guitar museum I have access to is the nearest PAWN SHOP! wink
Whitefang

#2867038 - 07/15/17 09:37 AM Re: new gtr museum / whadda y' think ? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
The Pawn shop LOL! That's where I bought my Kawai made in Japan Stratlike copy back in '65 or so...paid the price of that museum admission $20bucks for it! cool

#2867627 - 07/18/17 09:42 AM Re: new gtr museum / whadda y' think ? [Re: Larryz]
splitting hare Offline
Gold Member

Loc: The 'Nooga
Sorry I am a little tardy to the thread here but I have been out of town and involved in other things over the past couple of weeks.

I am actually a bit embarrassed to say that despite this museum being in downtown Chattanooga and maybe 30 minutes from me, I have yet to visit it. shocked freak grin Make no mistake, I do intend to remedy this in the near future and I am very appreciative of the opportunity to do so and thank the organizers and operators of the museum for their efforts to have something so cool nearby! And the fact that they have musical performances there from time to time really sweetens the pot! So kudos to everyone involved to bring such a venue to our city! rawk rawk

That said, there is and always has been a part of me that does not want to look at a guitar behind glass, if you will. I want to pick it up, I want to play it, feel it, etc. Now of course I understand WHY they need to keep priceless instruments away from groping guitarists and the public in general. But having to stay behind a velvet rope or something kind of makes me a little less excited and not so much in a hurry to go view the exhibits there.

But when I do find the time to take a stroll down to the Choo Choo, I will be sure to report back here with my findings and a full review!

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose