Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2865444 - 07/08/17 01:09 PM Best Environment to play in?
BigMoney Offline

I think hollow stairways really nice. It creates a beautiful natural reverb. What do you guys think?

Could be concerts too. I'm thinking of acoustic guitar by itself.

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcZ2NCZyxrBJYC5yufPaVAg

GP Island
#2865451 - 07/08/17 02:08 PM Re: Best Environment to play in? [Re: BigMoney]
Justus A. Picker Offline
Platinum Member

My family room has nice acoustics. It has 70's style wood paneled walls that have seem to give off a nice, mellow reverb. For a more ambient, church-like reverb I like to play in an old stone building in a local park called Squires Castle https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=...&ajaxhist=0. It's like a whisper chamber, sound just seems to come from everywhere. Great for getting the stereotypical classical in a chamber hall sound.

Still, my favorite place for solo fingerpicking is outside at night, after the sidewalks are rolled up, with no sound except the crackling of a fire and my guitar. You really can't beat that.

#2865462 - 07/08/17 02:32 PM Re: Best Environment to play in? [Re: Justus A. Picker]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
+1 Justus, singing and playing around the campfire is the way to go for me! cool

#2865467 - 07/08/17 02:42 PM Re: Best Environment to play in? [Re: Justus A. Picker]
whitefang Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Sounds nice, but I have no idea where you're located. But I'd caution that here in MI, where spring and summer are often high on humidity, playing and practicing(in my experience here) outdoors and by a fire might not be too good for the instrument, and nights of particularily high humidity have a tendency to dull the tone a bit. And since I don't have a firepit in my backyard(and city ordinances are limiting) I sometimes used to settle for relaxing on my front porch swing with axe in hand.

I read many years ago that Simon and Garfunkel in their pre fame days, used to like rehearsing in those old tiled restrooms in old buildings on their college campus due to their reverbaration qualities.

To be more concise, I'd say anywhere you're comfortable is a good playing environment. wink
Whitefang

#2865471 - 07/08/17 02:48 PM Re: Best Environment to play in? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
We don't have the humidity problems out here in California. I've played around beach camp fire parties and up here in the mountains for several decades. I think the night air, campfire smoke, etc., just make my guitars sound better. Or, maybe it's just the wine LOL! Speaking of wine, the best acoustics for your acoustic, are found at the wineries in their cellars! cool

Edited by Larryz (07/08/17 02:49 PM)

#2865484 - 07/08/17 03:06 PM Re: Best Environment to play in? [Re: whitefang]
Justus A. Picker Offline
Platinum Member

Whitefang, I'm not that far from you. Cleveland, Ohio. We get the same smothering humidity you guys do. Same bitter cold in the winter as well. I don't get close enough to the fire for it to have any detrimental effect on my guitar. I am careful with them (humidify in the winter, etc.) but don't baby them. You're right, if it is really humid the tone suffers, but it's just so peaceful....

#2865547 - 07/09/17 03:23 AM Re: Best Environment to play in? [Re: Justus A. Picker]
whitefang Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Sho' 'nuff. But I do recall one night at my brother in law's place in Gladwin('bout halfway up the state) that the night was so sultry the sound seemed to not get further than a foot from my guitar! No matter HOW hard I strummed. wink
Whitefang

#2865613 - 07/09/17 11:14 AM Re: Best Environment to play in? [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Yeah, a stairway's a classic echo-chamber...but not likely a pace where many will hear you.

Perhaps there's a way to recreate that in a performance environment.
Could be a great "intimacy" section of a show/vid---the guitarist walks out a door, settles into their fave comfy spot & starts playing & singing a heartrendingly personal song, evidently unaware of the 1000s sitting beyond the stage lights.

love

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose