Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2865044 - 07/07/17 08:41 AM RINGO!
whitefang Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Yeah, I know there's a disdain by some of birthday threads, and that he's a drummer, but....

I think it's worth both acknowledging and wishing RINGO STARR a happy 77th birthday today! smile
Whitefang

GP Island
#2865066 - 07/07/17 09:41 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RINGO! rimshot

#2865084 - 07/07/17 10:11 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: Larryz]
yadayada Offline

Why?

What has Ringo Starr ever done of note apart from hit pieces of wood. The other Beatles were the talented ones, as with every drummer in history, he's got lucky by being accepted into the fold. McCartney's talent is only redeemed by the fact he could play a piano/keyboard as well, given the inherent ease of guitar playing and lack of musicianship required to do so. Even then the lyrics in Beatles songs never made any sense and the melody and chord progressions are as simple as you can be find.

Ringo's sole achievement is living as long as he has with the toll he put his body under in the 60s.

Edited by yadayada (07/07/17 10:11 AM)

#2865086 - 07/07/17 10:15 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
The only disdain is when they're irrelevant.

Ringo is sui generis relevant.
PLUS HE PLAYED GTR !
DIG !

AND HE PLAYED DRUMS
[how to play drums like Ringo]

why y'wanna play drms like Ringo

HE EVEN PLAYED KBOARDS !

He was also the only Beatle to have a successful acting career...
& unlike high-falutin' Johnny, Paulie & Georgie, he never forgot who he was...

In his memoir of working w/ The Beatles eng/prod Geoff Emerick said that RS was not just the most comfortable Beatle to be around but at the same time the only one that you never knew if he was smarter than you on a subject & was maybe having a laugh at yer expense.
laugh

#2865088 - 07/07/17 10:16 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: yadayada]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: yadayada
Why?

What has Ringo Starr ever done of note apart from hit pieces of wood. The other Beatles were the talented ones, as with every drummer in history, he's got lucky by being accepted into the fold. McCartney's talent is only redeemed by the fact he could play a piano/keyboard as well, given the inherent ease of guitar playing and lack of musicianship required to do so. Even then the lyrics in Beatles songs never made any sense and the melody and chord progressions are as simple as you can be find.

Ringo's sole achievement is living as long as he has with the toll he put his body under in the 60s.

You are an idiot, plain & simple(ton)
A review of yer posts here at MPLayer suggests you have no interest other than snarking at others.
Why you here ?

#2865100 - 07/07/17 10:33 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: d]
yadayada Offline

Originally Posted By: d
Why?

You are an idiot, plain & simple(ton)
A review of yer posts here at MPLayer suggests you have no interest other than snarking at others.
Why you here ?

I was reading the keyboard forum (where my interest lies) and decide to peak across here. I noticed you couldn't actually provide a counterpoint to any of my statements; something that seems common among guitar players.

#2865117 - 07/07/17 10:50 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: yadayada]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

You evidently didn't actually chk any of the vids I linked.
Even on the KC Forum yer a troll.

FWIW & BTW anyone checking "YadaYada"'s posts will find them mostly snark comments.
Trollery is not drollery.

#2865121 - 07/07/17 11:00 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: yadayada]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Why?

At the risk of wasting time on what was likely just trolling, I'll point out that if you're imagining anybody here to pile on & agree that Ringo is unimportant, that ain't gonna happen, since everybody I know on this forum has a deep enough understanding of basic musicality to see that each of your points is based on unawareness or ignorance of [A] pop music history, [B] the role of the drummer in pop music, [C] the Beatles canon, & [D] a close careful listening to Ringo's actual performances on those records. Go to school, learn about music, listen to a whole lot of music, play a lot of music with other people, then come back here with an opinion based on something meaningful, rather than ignorance.

#2865137 - 07/07/17 11:21 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: yadayada]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Why?

Why? Good question, why am I even responding? This is the very definition of a diatribe...somehow I knew you were into keyboards more than guitars LOL! The Beatles can well withstand your negative critique IMHO. crazy

#2865174 - 07/07/17 01:01 PM Re: RINGO! [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Happy Birthday Ringo, and many more happy and healthy ones as well.

#2865218 - 07/07/17 03:22 PM Re: RINGO! [Re: desertbluesman]
JuJu Kwan Offline

Loc: Shenzhen, China
Happy birthday Ringo.

#2865220 - 07/07/17 03:30 PM Re: RINGO! [Re: desertbluesman]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I can only add to the fray that if all it WAS is just hitting pieces of wood( and drum heads AREN'T made of wood BTW) then they wouldn't have felt the need or desire to dump Pete Best.

If Yada was ever in a band that went through a variety of different drummers in order to find one that fit their vibe the best, he probably wouldn't have made such asinine comments.

Something of note?

That RS was one of premier drummer BUDDY RICH'S favorite rock drummers is something.

And that many critics, professional and just general public, cite the work done on "A Day InThe Life" as drum work that was FAR AND ABOVE what was done on any rock recording up until that time is something else.

And his general "cool" and likeable laid-back manner was infectuous too. Like I said elsewhere(in another forum) out of ALL of the Beatles, Ringo seemed like he'd be the most fun to hang out with. At least, that's what most the GUYS felt at the onset, when all the girlies were swooning over Paul and John.
Whitefang

#2865223 - 07/07/17 03:44 PM Re: RINGO! [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
I can only add to the fray that if all it WAS is just hitting pieces of wood( and drum heads AREN'T made of wood BTW) then they wouldn't have felt the need or desire to dump Pete Best.
Whitefang

At the time they dropped Pete Best, they were the biggest band in the UK. George Martin privately informed Brian Epstein that he would bring in a studio drummer for their first recording session because he didn't feel that Pete was up to snuff for pro recording. The Beatles could have picked any drummer in the UK at that point, & the guy they picked was the best guy around, Ringo. Not some bloke who just happened to already be in the band, they picked the best guy for the job, & they were not stupid.

#2865256 - 07/07/17 06:12 PM Re: RINGO! [Re: Scott Fraser]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Sounds OK to me.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes !!!
So can a auto Mechanic. " - Stokes Hunt

#2865315 - 07/08/17 03:53 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: CEB]
Sharkman Offline
Gold Member

What impressed me the most about Ringo's drumming is the fact that The Beatles never used a click track when they recorded any of their songs. They always relied upon Ringo's sense of rhythm, and judging by decades of success, I'd say his sense of rhythm was pretty good.

#2865358 - 07/08/17 08:04 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: Sharkman]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Sharkman
What impressed me the most about Ringo's drumming is the fact that The Beatles never used a click track when they recorded any of their songs. They always relied upon Ringo's sense of rhythm, and judging by decades of success, I'd say his sense of rhythm was pretty good.

Click tracks first started coming into use in the 80s disco phase, at a time when producers discovered that human drummers varied time & drum machines didn't.

#2865377 - 07/08/17 09:25 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Click tracks can come in handy for overdubbing when you don't have a drummer to lock in the timing on the 1st take... cool

#2865472 - 07/08/17 02:49 PM Re: RINGO! [Re: Larryz]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Wouldn't that depend on whether your in a group situation or solo? And if it's just you and your guitar, might it not also depend on your personal sense of timing? For instance....

Acoustic folk/blues artist Chris Smither usually performs accompanied by a rhytmic "foot stomp", both on live recordings and studio.

And I at first thought maybe a steady timed blinking LIGHT might work, but then some might find that MORE distracting.
Whitefang

#2865478 - 07/08/17 02:56 PM Re: RINGO! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Not really...when overdubbing it's about adding an instrument or instruments at a later date. The click track only sets the tempo so that all future instruments/vocals are in time. I have no problem with doing it without a click track and going back and playing with my self [no pun intended LOL!]. You don't hear the click on playback. A metronome will do just fine too...although I never use one! cool

#2866079 - 07/11/17 04:22 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: Larryz]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Since this WAS originally a birthday thread, we'll switch gears here long enough to mention today is singer/songwriter and guitarist SUZANNE VEGA's 58th birthday.
Whitefang

#2866134 - 07/11/17 08:38 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RICHIE SAMBORA! cool

#2866201 - 07/11/17 02:29 PM Re: RINGO! [Re: Larryz]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, him too. smile (my "source" didn't mention him).

Whitefang

#2866319 - 07/12/17 08:27 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
The few songs that Ringo has had on his own have been exactly what pop should be-simple but catchy melodies that get stuck in your ear and won`t go away. That and the fact that `less is more` is a good thing among rhythm sections-I thought most music people knew that-and Ringo is aces in my guest list.
Happy birthday Mr. Starr.

And a happy one to Suzanne Vega, I`ve always loved her songs, and `Book of Dreams` is also the first time I heard her guest vocalist, Shawn Colvin.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2866962 - 07/15/17 04:42 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: skipclone 1]
MP Hall of Fame Member

And now LINDA RONSTADT is 71!

Damn! Where does the time go?
Whitefang

#2867040 - 07/15/17 09:42 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINDA RONSTADT! I really loved that mariachi music! thu

Fang, maybe you should just have a birthday thread? As I think many people won't be seeing these types of wishes filed under Ringo...

#2867041 - 07/15/17 09:52 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Happy Birthday to all of them

#2867203 - 07/16/17 04:43 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: Larryz]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LINDA RONSTADT! I really loved that mariachi music! thu

Fang, maybe you should just have a birthday thread? As I think many people won't be seeing these types of wishes filed under Ringo...

I do believe I tried that before. It disappeared, but I'll try again. wink

+1 on Linda's Mariachi CD. You GOTTA know I've heard a lot of it in the last 30 years! wink And her's is top notch!
Whitefang

#2867211 - 07/16/17 06:20 AM Re: RINGO! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Worth another try, especially if there were people posting on the old one... thu

Edited by Larryz (07/16/17 06:35 AM)

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose