Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation

Thanks Arno, I got it to work, it is little more convoluted process for button controls than other VI's. The 'midi learn' feature in B-5 does not work for these controls, for example CC 101 or button 6 on my M Audio Axiom 2nd gen attempting to map to 'percussion on off'.

The way to get it to work in MainStage is to activate 'assign and map' in MainStage, then depress the button to be mapped on the controller - CC 101 in this case, and then click on the percussion 'on off' in B-5. Then deactivate 'Assign and Map' in MainStage.

I just checked and the midi learn feature in B-5 does work for rotary encoders and faders, for example rotary encoder CC75 to tube distortion.

I would recommend you test B-5 with MainStage, it is only $29 and is the host of choice for live performance on Mac's.

Using MS 3.3, B-5 v2.0.2

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't use the MIDI learn with the right click on a button, just use the MIDI panel and set the MIDI ccs there and it will all work fine, just find the element you want to map, then select it in the list, hit the midi learn button and move your CC (you can also set the value manually if you know it).

I'll check mainstage (i have it) but never tried the MIDI assignments in it.

www.acousticsamples.net

That was the first way I attempted to map it!! BTW I was referring above to the 'midi learn' button in 'midi prefs' not the right click 'automation' feature on the main screen.

Check out MainStage, the Workplace and screen controls, it is a much more powerful and different approach to other hosts and all midi is passed through to the VI's in each patch by default. Or not if the user so chooses, but that is not the case here.

Make sure you have MS 3.3 running on the latest version of Sierra, massive improvement in memory usage and you do not want to waste time chasing down clicks and pops that may occur with earlier versions. :)

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I just tested it, and in the Assignment & Mappings page, when going over any of the "channel 1" element, i was able to select MIDI thru -> Axiom 49 and then all MIDI CC values were sent to the plugin and i was able to map everything, including the buttons using the MIDI panel of the B-5.

www.acousticsamples.net

Well that confirms what I found, using MainStage's 'Assign and Map' function works for all Axiom controls with B-5.

So I guess if anyone has issues in MainStage using the midi learn or assignment features inside B-5 the simplest way to overcome these is to use the MainStage sequence suggested in my post above.

There must be something different in the way you and I have MainStage set up. By default the Concerts I use in MainStage pass midi through to all VI's, including UVI Workstation > B-5.

As noted above B-5 was working as intended with faders and rotary encoders, the only issue was with each of the buttons. And the buttons mapped to the other VI's in that Concert, also noted above, which wouldn't be the case if if midi pass through was blocked by MainStage.

The only other difference in our respective setups could be in UVI Workstation which has also been updated to 2.6.11, whereas I am on 2.6.10.

It would be good if UVI and AS could send an email to registered users letting users know a new version is available rather than relying on users to check this themselves from time to time.

Downloaded and installed UVI Workstation v2.6.11, now buttons map instantly using the 'midi learn' feature in B-5.

All good now.

That's odd... 2.6.11 should really not make a difference... But if it works, that's cool ;)

About the new version, we did not advertise it as it's still some kind of a test version to help some users on the Gearslutz forum, it looks like it works, but we're waiting for more testing to make it official. I'm sure you don't want to get notified everytime there is a very small fix that does not affect most systems, but only important ones.

www.acousticsamples.net

Yeah read the GS thread Arno.

B-5 is on the CPU intensive side but does not in my experience have any of effects discussed in that thread. I figured high CPU use was to be expected when running sample streaming and a highly detailed modelled Rotary simultaneously. I will test later and see if 2.0.2 seems any more CPU friendly in my setup.

But then again 128 samples is fine for live use for me.

All is well that ends well - the world's best B3 VI is back to being 100% glitch free.

Cheers

Mark

B-5 is on the CPU intensive side

Just downloaded latest upgrade (thanks to this thread), a little better but still too CPU intensive to use low latency as I'm used to do while recording, I still use VB3 just because it's easier on CPU even with 32 Lives.

• 2 weeks later...

Just set the UVI and B5 in Bidule to test it out.

Very pleased with its sound quality.

Attached controllers everywhere I needed and now have a better sounding Hammond for gigs where I can't drag along my usual hardware.

Really nice job on V2.

Going to test it out on Array in hopes it doesn't thin out like VSTis tend to do.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

• 3 months later...

I found the following message from Acoustic Samples in my inbox this morning:

The B-5 v2.2 is out!

We just released the Version 2.2 of the B-5 Organ, it has a few new features and optimizations that are listed below. If you already own it, the steps to get it are explained at the bottom of this email.

CPU optimization

When we released the version 2, the CPU took a hit because of the very detailed features we added (Leslie, tube saturation, loudness robbing, voltage stealing, etc...) These features are still here but we optimized every bit of them as much as we could and it is now even more efficient than the V1.

A new swell pedal model

We knew from the start that the swell pedal wasn't just a volume change, but our model was just a little off. So we went back and recorded a few things and now have a very precise behaviour that allows for the bass to stick even if the pedal is all the way down just like on real organs.

More precise Clicks

We changed the way the voices are handled which allows us to be much more precise in how the clicks are triggered and they are now more in sync with the tonewheel voices.

More precise Percussion

For the same reason as for the clicks, the percussions are now also more precise resulting in an overall more responsive instrument.

Hammond SK and XK support

Thanks to the guys at UVI, we are now able to support the RPN and NRPN MIDI messages sent by the hammond XK and SK series. We asked a few of our users to help send some MIDI data and with their precious help (thanks again guys btw), we were able to pre-map all of these models. They can now be used without the use of third party MIDI softwares and everything will work straight out of the box (using the corresponding preset in the MIDI preferences).

A refined Pedalboard simulation

The pedalboard might not be used by all organ players, but the ones that do need it to be spot on! So we took another look at how it works and sounds and it is now almost indistinguishable from the real one.

Here is a quick video of our friend Phil Curry having some fun playing "Gospel Train" on his Hammond SK2.

[video:youtube]

If you already own the B-5, then this "update" is FREE, here are the steps to get it:

1- Log into your account and download the new file from the download page (the file B-5-Organ-v2.2-EDC.rar)

2- Update UVI Workstation or Falcon to the latest version.

If you don't already have it, the B-5 Organ V2 is still at the same price (99 / $109) and you can learn more about it and get it from here: www.acousticsamples.net/B5

More here:

B-5 Organ V2

Enjoy!

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Funny, I was just thinking about this yesterday and wondering how long it would take UVI to accommodate the cc mapping of the XK.series. Apparently this release has not only the hooks to do so but also the actual mappings supplied by some users.

This is now on my short list- as soon as I create a short list.

• 4 weeks later...

WOW - just WOW!!! This thing kicks butt. Kind of figured most of the subtleties from one clone to another were lost when running through real Leslies. But B5 is clearly several levels above the XK-3C; thicker warmer :blah::blah::blah: . I really like the key click and the vibrato/chorus. Won't comment on the various sim Amps and Leslies other than there are a ton of choices and lots of flexibility with each of the Leslies.

Best of all is the customer response to issues. I've had 2 bugs

resolved with new versions downloaded to my account within a day or so of reporting. And got one more confirmed and on the way.

Pretty damn fantastic all around!

Interesting. I spent so much time making 100(?) personal presets for each successive generation of Hammond clones that I haven't really put the time yet into trying to do the same with B-5 so that I can do a true shoot-out.

I despise every single one of the presets, but don't regret purchasing it as it clearly is the most full-featured and best-designed SOFTWARE clone since NI canceled B4 II.

I'll be curious to hear from people who have done direct comparisons of B-5 to Hammond clones, sans effects (no chorus/vibrato or Leslie), for custom sounds vs. presets.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 10 months later...

It's too bad no one ever corrected the original title of this thread, as it complicates finding it in a search.

I am hoping to do some more in-depth shoot-outs vs. actual organ hardware in the coming weeks.

Much to my surprise, the latest update to Arturia's own B-3 modeling engine actually sounds musical now, so I may have to pick three of my personal patches (in a wide range of parameters) for a three-way shoot-out at this point.

What surprised me most in the new Arturia update (just a few weeks back) is that the percussion sound now seems to me the most realistic of any of the emulations. But I wasn't comparing apples to apples.

The tricky part is going to be to do a realistic shoot-out for both the raw sounds and the downstream effect of applying Leslie, chorus, vibrato, etc. I don't know if I can afford that time, and the answer might be different for real-time playability and inspiration vs. re-rendering recorded MIDI from earlier sessions.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I'm still extremely happy with the sound of B5 played through real Leslie's. With the new version of UVI workstation I again investigated the audio pops that happen when the B5 GUI is open. Turns out the audio pops only occur in Reaper (and Cubase as I read on another forum) and not with the stand alone UVI application. Arno is aware of this but nothing he can do for these CPU heavy actions. Fortunately it does not happen when the GUI is closed and as I have it mapped perfectly to my XK-3c it's really not an issue. Would love to try Blue3 but B5 is the only B3 VST that maps to the XK-3C.

• 6 months later...

AcousticSamples has released version 2.5 of the B-5 Organ. More here:

We just released the Version 2.5 of the B-5 Organ, this new version contains a few internal fixes and optimizations, but more importantly, we added 2 new organ voicings.

Fixes

- There was in some very rare cases stuck tonewheels happening when using the preset keys, this should be fixed now.

- The percussion volume drop was happening on the non-percussion presets, it's not the case anymore.

- There are a few other internal fixes and improvements that were released since the V2 as silent updates, like the addition of a few organ controllers or the DI volume that you can mix with the microphones.

New organ models

Thanks to our friend Joe Doria, we were able to add a very good sounding A101 from 1963. And while we were at it, we decided to also add the organ we used for the videos, a chopped 1964 A102 bringing the B-5 to a total of 6 very distinct Organ models.

A101 and A102 organs are exactly the same as A100 models, only the type of wood (and the legs for the A101) changes. There are more audible changes between years that are mostly electronics and different adjustments to them which explains why these models all sound different.

Here is Joe testing different features of the B-5 Organ, and then another one with more serious playing mixed with drums!

If you already own the B-5, then this "update" is FREE, here are the steps to get it:

1- Log into your account and download the new file from the download page (the file B-5-Organ-v2.5-EDC.rar)

2- Update UVI Workstation or Falcon to the latest version (this is important).

If you don't already have it, the B-5 Organ V2 is still at the same price (99 / $109) and you can learn more about it and get it from here: www.acousticsamples.net/B5

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon