Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2865367 - 07/08/17 08:40 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
Does the GS also have a way to go in and select velocity (hard, normal, soft) like most every other stage piano?

Yes, there are 9 selectable velocity curves.

Does the GS offer compression in the fx section?

Yes and no. Except for reverb/delay, it looks like there are no user-selectable effects on a given patch. Rather, effects have been pre-assigned to certain patches. So in this case, you can call up an Italian or German grand with compression, but there's no way to put compression on the Japanese, Austrian, or Berlin models, because patches with compression on those piano sounds don't exist. You can select a Wurli with compression, but not a Rhodes. You can have compression on your clav AD sound, but not AC, BC, or BD. Same idea with phaser, chorus, etc.... you get them by calling up sounds that have those effects pre-assigned, but as far as I can tell, you can not freely assign those effects to whatever sound you want.

And this one was a bit of a shocker... despite the CX3 engine, there appears to be no way to adjust the drawbar settings. No menu option, no CC control, and not even any sysex control. (So much for the Ocean Beach drawbars working.) In fact, there's no sysex for anything. So you're not going to see any deep editors, either. As the manual says, "the Grandstage does not support either transmitting or receiving system exclusive messages." (Well, except for five "universal" system exclusive messages... which always sounded like an oxymoron to me...) One possible saving grace here is that each program has 4 pre-selected editable parameters, customized to that particular program. It's possible that some of the organ patches have drawbar levels assigned to those parameters.

KC Island
#2865370 - 07/08/17 08:55 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: AnotherScott]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Definitely choices made here to not offer a Kronos at $2299.99 and also to have cross over, but not too much with the expected VOX which will obviously be much more capable in the CX3 area but likely watered down in the SGX area.

#2865374 - 07/08/17 09:17 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: drawback]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: drawback
Thanks guys. Different animal indeed.

One thing the MX88 has over the GS is that the sounds are full editable (via computer). GS is more a preset jockey's machine... though in reality, 99% of the MX owners probably use it the same way. ;-)

#2865448 - 07/08/17 01:51 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: burningbusch]
Ashville.Guru Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: India
Originally Posted By: burningbusch
VELOCITY BIAS does affect timbre but it does not kill expression.

In fact it might increase expression for some players. If you have a particularly heavy touch or your trying to play expressive piano parts on a light action keyboard, it is very easy to bang into the upper, bright sample layers (MIDI notes 100+). In this sense your range is limited. By setting a negative value, you are simply starting with a bit of a handicap, so while you can still hit those highest velocities/timbres it takes more effort and might be more expressive, again for certain players/situations.

We seem to be talking about different applications and contexts. You're referring to adapting to a keyboard with a lighter touch. I'm talking about the band mix drowning out the softer notes. Different problems, different remedial measures.

From the descriptions and videos, it looks like the Dynamics knob applies to the second scenario:

"Turning the dynamics knob toward the left provides a softer sound with a wider dynamic range in response to your keystrokes. This allows more sensitive expression since the sound responds directly to changes in your playing strength; ideal for piano solos or when playing accompaniment. Conversely, turning the dynamics knob toward the right provides louder sound relative to your playing strength, creating flatter dynamics. This is ideal when you want to play with a consistent touch so that your sound will stand out in the band or ensemble."

I'd say the Dynamics knob simply controls the Intensity parameter, not Bias. Ergo, timbre should be unaffected.

- Guru

P.S. The Bias parameter is perhaps another underrated innovation in the Kronos. I'm not aware of any equivalent in software. Still, it solves a very different problem from the Dynamics knob.

#2865508 - 07/08/17 06:16 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Ashville.Guru]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Knob to left:

Softer sound = overall decrease of piano volume sent to main outs. Softs, mediums, and louds are all decreased the same %, the equivalent of turning your master volume down.
Wider dynamic range = what does this imply? higher resolution in the velocity curve? Or that the resulting dB can go down to lower than when you have the knob at center?

Knob to Right:

"louder sound relative to your playing strength"
Does this mean lower values in the velocity curve have been limited at the bottom? Like it's not possible to play 0-50... Anything below 50 is a 51 and its there to 127 depending on the shape of curve?

The description isn't great. Trying to keep what it does a secret sauce?

#2865532 - 07/08/17 08:53 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
niacin Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: down under
I was looking forward to this, but then a new gig that required a few samples and loops pushed me towards a Kronos 73. I also have an SV-1. With that in mind:

The SV-1 has better EPs, the best available in hardware. They're an absolute joy to play. And you have the equivalent of a row of quality fx pedals with knobs for everything. The Kronos EPs are good, but they don't quite put that smile on my face. The Grandstage has the Kronos EP engine.

I have tweaked and now really like the new Kronos acoustic piano sample, way better than those in the SV-1, and I've found that I enjoy the RH3 action on the Kronos significantly more than that on the SV-1. I don't just mean the better velocity curves matching the acoustic piano samples, I mean the physicality of it. Presumably due to the aftertouch on the Kronos providing a slightly softer landing. The Grandstage has no aftertouch and will play like the SV-1, perhaps with better velocity mapping to the new acoustic piano samples.

The lack of tweaking for the CX-3 makes the organ as useful (or useless) as those on the SV-1.

The velocity/compression knob you guys are discussing appears to be something like that on Roland's VR-09, which seems to be a sort of combination compression/eq knob designed to make managing the sound in different acoustic environments more doable on the fly. I think it's great that companies like Korg and Roland are thinking about these sorts of gig-friendly extras.

The stand, on the other hand, is way oversized. 73/76 note boards are bought for small cars and smaller stage footprints. Not a fan. The SV-1 stand is much better.

With the caveat that I haven't played one, but am familiar with the SV-1 and the Kronos, from which come all the elements of the Grandstage (with the exception of the new combo organ engines), while I will look to try one in the store when it starts shipping, I'm glad I went for the Kronos 73.

#2865656 - 07/09/17 03:00 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: niacin]
analogman1 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
Still loving my SV1!
I honestly can't see the reason to keep upgrading. (Also can't afford it!)
If I invest in anything else, it will probably be either a real piano or console organ.

#2865688 - 07/09/17 05:20 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: analogman1]
Randelph Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
60 gigs of memory total? Pretty sweet. I suppose that's where Korg will make more money, as part of their expansion packs.

Seems incredibly limited that you can only do split and layer with one part of that being from the ensemble sounds.

Overly limited in terms of editing capability, surely they must have a iPad or computer editor in the works. 60 gigs of memory and such a small screen, it'd be ludicrous otherwise. Guess I'm used to my Nord Stage- of course it's practically half the price, but still, I guess I'm unreasonably expecting more hands on controls. With an editor that'd make all the difference with this board, you'd prepare in advance and load up that favorites bank.

Reminds me a bit of the Korg SP 280, the user interface is overly simplified. For all of its limitations, I found it a fun board to play. But yeah, it does seem like the SV-1 in its simplicity.

A shame they couldn't come in under 35-40 pounds, but I'm sure they tried, manufacturers have got to know by now how many buying decisions this influences.

Can't say this gives me GAS. As the NS3 becomes available, you could probably get a used NS2 88, possibly even the EX, for around the same price, which weighs a little less, is 6 part multi-timbral, and has lots of real time controllers. And, I already know I like the sounds on the Stage.

I suppose it was only a matter of time that we'd get brightly illuminated signage on boards meant for the stage. I suppose for many of us it seems like a point of ridicule, but they did make it something you could turn off, dim or display in different colors, and hey, whatever it takes to get the keyboardist noticed!

Randy
Various congas and djembes

#2865693 - 07/09/17 05:40 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Randelph]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yamaha had the white back light though the chrome Yamaha symbol on the CP1. Very understated.
Korg with the multi colors through the KORG logo... well, that surely says something about aesthetic differences between these companies.

#2865695 - 07/09/17 05:50 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Mitch Towne Offline
Gold Member

I couldnt disagree more with the idea that the SV-1 has better EPs than the Kronos. The SV-1 Rhodes sample sounds like it changes half way up the keyboard. I could never connect with it. The Kronos has the best workstation Rhodes in the business, I think. The "Herbie's Butterfly" patch alone blows away anything the SV1 can do.

I don't see, however, where the GS has the editing ability that the Kronos does. Am I missing something?

#2865697 - 07/09/17 06:05 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Mitch Towne]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No I don't think you're missing anything. The GS has SV-1 simplicity with the Kronos engines - you get the sounds with very limited editing beyond EQ and some FX parameters. That's why it's a grand less. Giggers no muss no fuss setup and play. If one needs the rest, you get the Kronos.

#2865698 - 07/09/17 06:08 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Randelph]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Randelph
60 gigs of memory total? Pretty sweet.
specs say 32. Still, nothing to sneeze at.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/grandstage/specifications.php

Overly limited in terms of editing capability, surely they must have a iPad or computer editor in the works.

I think they intend this to be for the preset jockeys, and they would suggest the Kronos for those who want to dig in. (Also, they specifically say it has no system exclusive implementation, I don't know that that makes it impossible to create an editor, but it at least means it's impossible for anyone other than Korg.)

gigs of memory and such a small screen, it'd be ludicrous otherwise.

Not really. It has the 500 sounds it has (and 64 favorite locations). The fact that some of the sounds use gobs of wave sample data (i.e. that it has multi-gigabyte pianos) doesn't make an editor more or less essential, there's not a correlation between size of the samples and need for an editor.

I guess I'm unreasonably expecting more hands on controls. With an editor that'd make all the difference with this board, you'd prepare in advance and load up that favorites bank.

Yeah, that's the Kronos approach. More uninviting then the GS in terms of hands-on control, but you prep in advance and load up your Set List slots.

But yeah, it does seem like the SV-1 in its simplicity.

I think that's the point of it. Though the SV1 does have an editor! Albeit not a particularly extensive one. But I think they are going for a board with the SV1's successful simplicity, addressing the SV1's most notable shortcomings. People didn't really complain that the SV1 didn't allow you to sufficiently edit the sounds, again we're talking about something more designed for preset jockeys. What people did complain about was having only 8 Favorite locations, not being able to split/layer, having an awkward shape to carry or stack, having lackluster acoustic piano sounds, no mod/pitch wheels... all addressed with the GS. Smooth sound transition is a nice addition, too. (Unfortunately, there is also some tradeoff, as the effects have been scaled back.)

A shame they couldn't come in under 35-40 pounds
Can't say this gives me GAS.

I'm with you on those. But I think the board will have a lot of appeal to a lot of people.

#2865699 - 07/09/17 06:27 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Yamaha had the white back light though the chrome Yamaha symbol on the CP1. Very understated.
Korg with the multi colors through the KORG logo... well, that surely says something about aesthetic differences between these companies.

All the world's a stage.

Busch.

#2865700 - 07/09/17 06:42 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: burningbusch]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: burningbusch
All the world's a stage.

I read that Jobs had wanted the Apple 180 degrees flipped from that, so it would be facing the "right" way when a user went over to it and opened it up, and it took a lot of persuasion from other design folk to convince him that it was more important that it look right when people saw it from the "outside."

#2865839 - 07/10/17 09:52 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: The Piano Man]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Where the wild things are
Originally Posted By: The Piano Man
Two zones and only basic splitting/layering. This rules it out for me. Even the £600 Casio PX360 allows four zones

Is this an expensive feature? So few boards seem to have it unless you are paying significant money

It's another "what were they thinking?" moment. It can't be expensive - the Alesis Quadrasynth/QS Series lets you Split/Layer all 16 channels.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2865852 - 07/10/17 10:04 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Synthaholic]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

In Korg's mind they just offered the Oasys/Kronos engines at a grand below a Kronos. It has to cost more than the SV-1 @ $1.5-$1.6k. And they think it's more in league with the RD-2000 and CP4. And in some ways they're right, and in others very wrong. But, that's what they did. Personally I think they should have offered the stand separate and the boards @ $1.9-$2.0k. But, that may be coming yet.

#2865858 - 07/10/17 10:19 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Personally I think they should have offered the stand separate and the boards @ $1.9-$2.0k. But, that may be coming yet.

Give it time. There will be a price drop eventually. I am hoping for different color light inserts for the various holidays though. laugh

#2865919 - 07/10/17 01:03 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Synthaholic]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Synthaholic
It's another "what were they thinking?" moment. It can't be expensive - the Alesis Quadrasynth/QS Series lets you Split/Layer all 16 channels.

It's not always a cost thing. If you're trying to design a board for simple operation with immediate control and minimal menu diving, it may not be sensible to provide 16-zone splits/layers. (And they do have boards that provide that feature for those who need it... not just the more expensive Kronos, but also the less expensive Krome/Kross).

The other thing about "it can't be expensive, because this cheaper board does it" is that you also need to keep in mind the other things the board does that the cheaper board does not do. As I've said before, there are lots of features you can find in thousand dollar boards, but if you put them all into the same board, you don't have a thousand dollar board anymore

#2866386 - 07/12/17 11:54 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: zephonic]
Macsaint777 Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
Just preordered a Grandstage after sending back an RD-2000 for action issues, getting a replacement, and replacing that with a Nord Piano 3, which I just got replaced...So, TWO Roland RD-2000s, and now TWO Nord Piano 3s... My Triton Studio treated me well for 16 years...Grandstage here I come!

Cheers!

Ben

Edited by Macsaint777 (07/13/17 07:34 AM)

#2866396 - 07/12/17 12:25 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Macsaint777]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So I hear, saint. Sheesh, that's insane. I think you may have broken a record. You sure your UPS guy isn't to blame? wink

What did you think of the NP3 action when you played it? Or were they DOA?

Here's hoping your Grandstage arrived safely! Totally possible it might need a firmware update though, as I'm sure the RD-2000 needs as well.

#2866399 - 07/12/17 12:31 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Macsaint777]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Ben, I just saw your post and watched your video on the Nord forum. facepalm mad

Man, I feel bad for you having to go all through all of this. What a nightmare !! shocked

Welcome to "Quality Control" circa 2017. wink I played my $900 Yamaha P120 on hundreds of gigs between 2000 to 2008 without a second's problem with the action. Only in the last year did a few keys start sticking and Yamaha sent me a free replacement action.

I'd question if you'll be happy with the Korg pianos and action a year after you buy it but good luck.

Don't know where to tell you to turn ... idk Maybe the MP11 and just play your Nord pianos with that ? And use the CP4 for gigs only ?

#2866404 - 07/12/17 12:55 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Macsaint777]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: Macsaint777
Judt preordered a Grandstage after sending back an RD-2000 for action issues, getting a replacement, and replacing that with a Nord Piano 3, which I just got replaced...So, TWO Roland RD-2000s, and now TWO Nord Piano 3s... My Triton Studio treated me well for 16 years...Grandstage here I come!

Cheers!

Ben

Cool. I tried a RD-2000 the other day and hated the action.

Edited by Outkaster (07/12/17 12:57 PM)

noblevibes.com

#2866561 - 07/13/17 06:36 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Outkaster]
Macsaint777 Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I find it hard to believe you would hate the RD-2000 action! It is one of the best out there right now. Far better than the Nord Piano 3, the SV-1, or the CP-4 in my opinion. What did you dislike about it specifically?

Mine had some issues for sure, but these were issues physically that showed up over time, not apparent from the feel of the keys immediately.

#2866567 - 07/13/17 06:52 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Macsaint777]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Macsaint777
I find it hard to believe you would hate the RD-2000 action!

I was just glad to see it wasn't just me! Admittedly, I only had the opportunity to play it with the sound off, but I didn't like the feel of the action at all.

#2866578 - 07/13/17 08:19 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: AnotherScott]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've spent good time on the RD-2000 as well and am not raving about the action. It's slightly sluggish and takes a bit to get used to it. The older Kawai ES-100 felt this way to me as well the ES-110 does not - not sure what they changed. Apparently Yamaha addresses this on the folded compact action in the CP4 with a leaf spring under each key. Maybe acoustic actions that play well just have better physics on the return with all that weight from the hammer mechanism coming back to original position? Not every folded compact digital action is designed the same and it's tricky to get them to feel and play well.

#2866580 - 07/13/17 08:25 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Find to hard I would hate it? Why? It sucked ass. I didn't like the response and it didn't feel very real.

noblevibes.com

#2866583 - 07/13/17 08:29 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
10k Club

I've spent good time on the RD-2000 as well and am not raving about the action. It's slightly sluggish and takes a bit to get used to it. The older Kawai ES-100 felt this way to me as well the ES-110 does not - not sure what they changed.

The ES100 did feel a bit sluggish to me, the ES110 feels a bit "rubbery", I'd have to play them next to each other to be sure which I'd prefer, though my memory (which could be playing tricks) makes me think that the ES100 seemed to "connect" a bit better to its internal sound. (The ES100 also reminded me of the TP100, but of the newer "better" versions of the TP100 I've played. So, not great, but not terrible.) I do remember seeing some discussion of what they changed from the ES00 to ES110, but don't remember the detail... maybe something about being less solid and more hollow? Apparently something that allowed a very significant reduction in travel weight...

Apparently Yamaha addresses this on the folded compact action in the CP4 with a leaf spring under each key.

Korg RH3 does the same thing.

#2866928 - 07/14/17 07:31 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Randelph]
LarsHarner Offline

60 gigs of memory total? Pretty sweet. I suppose that's where Korg will make more money, as part of their expansion packs.

Seems incredibly limited that you can only do split and layer with one part of that being from the ensemble sounds.

Overly limited in terms of editing capability, surely they must have a iPad or computer editor in the works. 60 gigs of memory and such a small screen, it'd be ludicrous otherwise. Guess I'm used to my Nord Stage- of course it's practically half the price, but still, I guess I'm unreasonably expecting more hands on controls. With an editor that'd make all the difference with this board, you'd prepare in advance and load up that favorites bank.

Reminds me a bit of the Korg SP 280, the user interface is overly simplified. For all of its limitations, I found it a fun board to play. But yeah, it does seem like the SV-1 in its simplicity.

A shame they couldn't come in under 35-40 pounds, but I'm sure they tried, manufacturers have got to know by now how many buying decisions this influences.

Can't say this gives me GAS. As the NS3 becomes available, you could probably get a used NS2 88, possibly even the EX, for around the same price, which weighs a little less, is 6 part multi-timbral, and has lots of real time controllers. And, I already know I like the sounds on the Stage.

I suppose it was only a matter of time that we'd get brightly illuminated signage on boards meant for the stage. I suppose for many of us it seems like a point of ridicule, but they did make it something you could turn off, dim or display in different colors, and hey, whatever it takes to get the keyboardist noticed!

Randy

I agree with you on the weight- I actually have a SP280 as well and wish that were a little lighter as well. It is a good board to just dig into for playing rock/blues while my (slightly off topic) ES8 is more for practicing.

I am a huge Korg fan but in a way this is a Kronos "without the Kronos" in a way. Is it the same RH3 action as other boards?

I looked at the downloaded soundlist- so it seems it has mono and stereo versions of many of the AP's, and perhaps 40-50 different B3 sounds. This is good for those just using one speaker/monitor

However, perhaps the ES8 or FP90's are better deals as they have built in speakers for those who want those as well. Right now I use them on my ES8 along with the Electro Voice.

So for $1,500 more one gets a Kronos with actual drawbar controls for example, perhaps really only a $1,300 spread considering retailer discounts etc...

#2866929 - 07/14/17 07:45 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: LarsHarner]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah it's the same RH3. That's that with Korg.
Need to see how it feels either way - I haven't played the Kronos 88 much. Locally I see mainly the 61 on shop floors.

I like the ES8's action, much better than the ES100 or 110.

#2866931 - 07/14/17 07:52 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: LarsHarner]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: LarsHarner
So for $1,500 more one gets a Kronos with actual drawbar controls for example

Kronos is much more flexible in tons of ways, but pricier, and bigger/heavier... and philosophically, aimed at a different user, in that you also lose something in exchange for all its extra capabilities... you lose the emphasis on simplicity with all the direct/dedicated controls.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner