Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2864898 - 07/06/17 10:01 PM Korg Grandstage (Released)
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Intro Video

Six APs: Berlin, Heidelberg, Austria, Japan, as well as a newly sampled Italian grand piano, Upright.

"Responding to the requests of numerous professional players, the Grandstage also provides monaural piano sounds for all of these acoustic piano programs. These monaural piano sounds were voiced not from a mono mix of stereo samples but from monaurally recorded sources, and will shine clearly even within a band's mix."

Eight velocity layer clavs (all pickups), Looks like new Pianet sample as well.

Examples:
Main PIano
https://soundcloud.com/korg/dimensions?in=korg/sets/grandstage-sgx-2

German Grand (Mono)
https://soundcloud.com/korg/grand-island?in=korg/sets/grandstage-sgx-2

Italian Grand
https://soundcloud.com/korg/bedtime?in=korg/sets/grandstage-sgx-2

Upright
https://soundcloud.com/korg/blues-feelings?in=korg/sets/grandstage-sgx-2

All APs on Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/korg/sets/grandstage-sgx-2

Engines: SGX-2, Ep-1, CX3, Vox, Compact, AL-1, HD-1

Weight: 88: 44 lbs; 73: 37.5 lbs

Stand included

Price unknown

Owner's Manual
Sound Name List

Busch.

KC Island
#2864900 - 07/06/17 10:19 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: burningbusch]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Ah crap, price unknown. Soon enough I imagine.
Monaural versions of the pianos is great response to feedback.
73k version is interesting choice, gets weight down around a CP4.
It's going to have the RH3 in it. Please say the RH3 is not the end of Korg's efforts to make a great feeling and playing weighted action. Is "Premium" RH3 an adjective or a distinguishing version of the action?

#2864901 - 07/06/17 10:23 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

RH3, no aftertouch.

Busch.

#2864902 - 07/06/17 10:26 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: burningbusch]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I just caught that in the promo video... No AT is ok with me on the weighted hammer action. Can't wait for a shop to have one on the floor. As usual, I've had no trouble getting on the Roland RD-2000 or the Yamaha Montage 8. But I can't play a Kurzweil Forte or Nord Piano or Stage 3 anywhere nearby. Hopefully the Grandstage is as easy to find on the floor as the SV-1.

Busch, did I just read that the substantial and funky stand (and pedal) are included?
Ah f*ck. This is not going to be a trickle down Kronos to $1799 stage piano range.
Definitely over $2k.
Now, what if I don't want the stand?

#2864908 - 07/06/17 10:36 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

According to a post on FB the 88 = $2499.

Busch.

#2864917 - 07/06/17 11:29 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: burningbusch]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
So want to buy this!

If it sounds like the Krome or better, and its action is at least as good as or better than the NordPiano, this could be a painfully expensive year for me.

But since I'm working with my laptop now anyway, the sensible thing is to just get KeyScape and control that from the Nord.

Still, I want this...

Are the specs available yet?

Yup, they're here:

http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/grandstage/

Dimensions (W x D x H)
88-key: 1131 mm x 359 mm x 140 mm / 51.64" x 14.13" x 5.51" (excluding music stand)
73-key: 1099 mm x 359 mm x 140 mm / 43.27" x 14.13" x 5.51" (excluding music stand)

Weight
88-key: 20.0 kg / 44.09 lbs (excluding music stand)
73-key: 17.0 kg / 37.48 lbs (excluding music stand)

I think the width of the 88 is 1311 mm, not 1131.

Edited by zephonic (07/06/17 11:58 PM)

#2864920 - 07/06/17 11:41 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: zephonic]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

From the YT I feel justified in feeling fine never to own this instrument.

T

#2864925 - 07/06/17 11:58 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: zephonic]
Ashville.Guru Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: India
Kraft Music has the GrandStage on pre-order:

88: $2,499.99
73: $2,299.99

Two more videos:

- Guru

#2864926 - 07/07/17 12:02 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Theo Verelst]
ApprenticeGary Offline

Loc: Beijing
I played a kronos 2 88 and felt the action was very good. Far superior than sv1-88 which I owned. Very interested in the grandstage and curious if it has a fan inside like the kronos. Few seems to care about the fan noise, but it's really a dealbreaker for me.

#2864927 - 07/07/17 12:04 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: ApprenticeGary]
FunkKeyStuff Offline
Platinum Member

First mod most players will make: put some tape over that obnoxious glowing logo! Sheesh, what were they thinking?

Still, my interest is piqued. For years I was hoping for an SV-2, and this certainly seems to be it.

Edit: Just saw the in video that you can turn off the glowing logo. Whew!

#2864929 - 07/07/17 12:46 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: FunkKeyStuff]
FunkKeyStuff Offline
Platinum Member

Next question: instead of splitting the board, can you MIDI in an external keyboard and play a second sound from it, i.e. Wurli locally and Clav from the external board? If so, and if it's as good as it seems like it may be, there's a good chance one of these and the forthcoming Legend Solo could keep me happy for a long time.

#2864930 - 07/07/17 12:59 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: FunkKeyStuff]
marczellm Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Budapest, Hungary
I was hoping for at least 3 zones and (at least limited) sound editing, like in the Roland RD series or Nord Stage. I'd want to customize drawbar settings for example.
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G

#2864935 - 07/07/17 01:29 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: marczellm]
Dockeys Offline

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Doesn't appear to have changed much from the prototype model earlier this year. Not a huge fan of the brushed finished but I like the logo. Overall I think it looks really nice. It seems to be leaning more towards a beefier SV1 than the Kronos. Granted elements of the Kronos have been borrowed. That stand looks pretty solid, though the extendable arms on either side look weird pointing up when you're in the seated position and playing. Still it looks like it's built to be expanded if you wanted to have another keys or two own top or a laptop? I wonder can you programme any of the presets outside of just adding effects like reverb/chorus etc?

I'm in the market for something new soon. I may be swayed by the 73 note especially for the weight factor. Then again I cold get the full 88 note CP4 for similar weight. Will hopefully get to demo these next to each other soon. Thanks for the update.

#2864936 - 07/07/17 01:30 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Dockeys]
Dockeys Offline

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
and ElmerJFudd they mention that the stand comes with the keyboard along with a newly designed sustain pedal, not only in the video but it's also mentioned in the specs page. Gotta hold them to that!

#2864938 - 07/07/17 01:53 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Dockeys]
Nadroj Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Single split and layer capability...Seems to be targeting the Electro 5. Looking forward to trying one out.

#2864940 - 07/07/17 02:23 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Nadroj]
The Piano Man Offline

Two zones and only basic splitting/layering. This rules it out for me. Even the £600 Casio PX360 allows four zones

Is this an expensive feature? So few boards seem to have it unless you are paying significant money
Rehearsals: Casio PX360

#2864960 - 07/07/17 05:26 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: ApprenticeGary]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Originally Posted By: ApprenticeGary
I Few seems to care about the fan noise, but it's really a dealbreaker for me.

I like having noise from fans. I say bring on the fan noise. It shows they are interested wink

#2864962 - 07/07/17 05:39 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: GregC]
George88 Offline
Gold Member

While I have eagerly been awaiting this arrival, I am disappointed at the lack of available distortion effects.

#2864969 - 07/07/17 05:57 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: George88]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Originally Posted By: George88
While I have eagerly been awaiting this arrival, I am disappointed at the lack of available distortion effects.

I tend to agree, from a Kronos perspective. I feel the Fx are somewhat limited.

#2864987 - 07/07/17 06:51 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: FunkKeyStuff]
Beethree Offline
Platinum Member

I like it. I am very happy with my Forte, but if I was in the market this would jump right up there.

The stand is a very cool feature!!!
Got rid of the annoying and too tall curved top from the SV-1
Look forward to trying the mono pianos.
Since it has the CX-3 engine, I am guessing you can edit the drawbar settings. Maybe in real time with a drawbar module? I did not watch every second of all 3 videos.

#2865008 - 07/07/17 07:38 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Ashville.Guru]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Ashville.Guru
88: $2,499.99
73: $2,299.99

A bit better than I'd predicted in the original thread on this, where I said "I would not be surprised to see it priced more like, say,$2400- $2500 for the 73 and a couple of hundred more for the 88"

Originally Posted By: Dockeys
Overall I think it looks really nice. It seems to be leaning more towards a beefier SV1 than the Kronos. Granted elements of the Kronos have been borrowed.

Yeah, seems like an SV1 aesthetics/interface applied to basically Kronos-derived sound engines. I could see this being a very desirable package, despite the loss of some things that made the SV1 special in its own way.

Originally Posted By: The Piano Man
Two zones and only basic splitting/layering. This rules it out for me. Even the £600 Casio PX360 allows four zones

Is this an expensive feature? So few boards seem to have it unless you are paying significant money

It's not just about cost, it's about interface/ergonomics and target audience. Some boards are about being able to do zillions of things, others do fewer things but aim to do those things with greater simplicity. Like the difference between a Kronos and a Nord Stage. So, keeping in mind that Korg already makes a keyboard that has almost all the same sonic capabilities as the Grandstage but is also much more flexible (Kronos), the idea here would seem to be to create a board that does the key bread-and-butter stuff in a simpler, more direct approach. They still have the Kronos for people who need more flexibility. At least it's a big step up from the SV1 in terms of split/layer. And you know, as much as everyone was looking forward to getting splits and layers on the Nord Electro, you also see people say they miss some of the old simplicity!

Originally Posted By: Beethree
Since it has the CX-3 engine, I am guessing you can edit the drawbar settings. Maybe in real time with a drawbar module? I did not watch every second of all 3 videos.

I haven't seen it all either. Ocean Beach's drawbars supported Kronos, so I would not be surprised if it worked with this. It likely may includes Kronos' ability to directly support USB controllers too, but a complication may remain in that Kronos CX3 drawbars respond to sysex rather than MIDI CC.

#2865011 - 07/07/17 07:45 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: AnotherScott]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Nice worth checking out.

noblevibes.com

#2865035 - 07/07/17 08:34 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Outkaster]
Rusty Mike Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Central NJ
I certainly see this as an upgrade to the SV-1. Certainly more functionality/capability/content but still retains the simplicity. The variety of AP's is nice as well.

Not a fan of the stand. I play sitting down and the extended vertical chrome risers look kind of silly to me. Leave the stand out of the box and take $200 off the price.

Doesn't matter anyway. I'm not buying one. But it's a nice upgrade for the Korg fans.

#2865037 - 07/07/17 08:36 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Rusty Mike]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

Looks very interesting!! I'm not really in the market, but good on Korg for bringing competition to Nord and the like.

Cheers Mike

#2865047 - 07/07/17 08:50 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: Rusty Mike]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Rusty Mike

Not a fan of the stand. I play sitting down and the extended vertical chrome risers look kind of silly to me. Leave the stand out of the box and take $200 off the price.

I totally concur. That stand does not look very gig friendly in terms of setup.

As for the rest, very cool board.

#2865051 - 07/07/17 09:08 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: EscapeRocks]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Owner's Manual, Sound List and MIDI Guide available here: http://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/751/

Editing of program looks to be very basic with a max of four parameters. The 64 Favorites can be saved/loaded from USB Flash.

Busch.

Edited by burningbusch (07/07/17 10:40 AM)
Edit Reason: corrections

#2865056 - 07/07/17 09:23 AM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: burningbusch]
_Maximus_ Offline

Loc: Guatemala
I like it, the more crowded the stage piano scene gets the better for us, defently a different interpretation of a stage piano than the other competitors, the package including the stand and pedal is a nice touching hope they sell an extra tier for a top board, the glowing logo defently is a sign of the times, you can probably turn it off via software, all and it seems like a well sorted package. Is the ridged texture brushed metal or wood veneer, I dig it

#2865147 - 07/07/17 12:08 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: _Maximus_]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
D8mn. I hope the Grandstage does not have the FTEC (finger-to-ear connection) of the SV-1. grin

If the Grandstage has the best of the SV-1 and Kronos, I might feel a fire sale brewing. laugh cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2865156 - 07/07/17 12:28 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: ProfD]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's priced hot for a two split/layer stage piano, but it's priced right for a Kronos LE. I'm studying the manual now to see how editable and feature-full the Grandstage really is.

I'm confounded by this decision to bundle the stand. Unless they think if they get this stand into people's hands they'll want to fill it with more Korg synths... maybe this orange VOX organ is coming which is usually also hanging on this stand at the trade shows?

#2865169 - 07/07/17 12:51 PM Re: Korg Grandstage (Released) [Re: ElmerJFudd]
bob_sd Offline

Loc: CA
Still looks like a prototype to me - not very pretty. Yeah, that part is important to me - I'm still in love with the curves on the SV1! They really took a step backward re effects. No independent distortion? No independent chorus?

But there is plenty to like- looking through the patch list available online, korg has thoughtfully incorporated access to certain modulators (like lfos) and effects (like chorus) that are not accessible from the front panel - and attached them to control surfaces on a per patch basis. (Control surfaces including pitch/mod wheels, pedals, two switches) doesnt look like any of these are assignable but rather hard wired (maybe an editor in the future?) This is definitely a "player's" instrument/rompler.

I also noticed that patches that incorporate delay utilize the mod wheel to set the depth, whereas the pot on front panel determines speed. Lots of thought put into this and it will satisfy a bunch of users. Others have compared it to the electro series, however I personally think this is "almost" in a separate category given it has pitch/mod wheels. Awesome!

Re drawbars- we can hold out hope that a third party solution would provide this, but I don't see it at least with the current firmware.

Just wish it looked better. Too many corners, not enough curves. And the stand? I sure hope the keyboard will be available without it. The stand looks like a tricked out medical walker.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner