Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acousticsamples B-0 Organ for UVI Workstation

Yeah, I finally broke down and bought this...sounds too good to pass up. I have installed it, but haven't played a note yet.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was using the other way of loading presets, which only changes drawbars. I missed the previous page of this post due to ignoring it on account of the topic title not seeming relevant to me. Thanks for clearing up that it WAS briefly called "B-0" -- I thought someone had simply revived a zombie thread for a dead product.

Tonight I bought UVI Rotary finally, as I stupidly forgot to apply a soon-to-expire credit when doing another super-late-night purchase the night before for the iZotope RX6 Advanced update. I already own PSP L'otary, but my impression so far is that this one is a bit better for organ while PSP's is perhaps better for guitar.

It will be interesting to compare the UVI impulses to the ones used in the B-5 update. No energy for that; I'm only still up because the VSL Synchron Percussion download and install is requiring frequent intervention due to its size.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The C2D will work perfectly ;) and is 100% compatible, the demos were made with it (just select the nord C1/C2 mapping)...

When I select the Nord Stage midi template, nothing happens and the program does not respond to midi input (other than note on messages) unless I midi map each controller. This makes it a bit cumbersome since I have to midi map every instance of B-5 in each existing Digital Performer project. For new DP projects, I can create a template and work around it that way...

Am I doing something wrong?

aL

PS. I am really enjoying B-5 V2!!!

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

I just want to chime in on this thread to thank Acoustic Samples for making this update free. I wish all vendors were as good to their customers. It sounds killer. I love the Jim Alfredson and Steve Nathan presets as well, great job all around.
"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

What do you grizzled vets think about the B5 scanner vibrato? I listened to most of the online demos and I didn't hear 888000000, scanner vibrato on C3, Leslie slow or off, and sustaining one note.

And sorry for the dumb question, but is there a trial demo version available?

What do you grizzled vets think about the B5 scanner vibrato? I listened to most of the online demos and I didn't hear 888000000, scanner vibrato on C3, Leslie slow or off, and sustaining one note.

Each model has its own scanner vibrato, and it sounds authentic for sure because it's sampled, so it's the real thing ;)

And no, sorry, there is no demo for it, just like for every sample based instrument products on the market.

www.acousticsamples.net

Yep, looking forward to doing that update when I get home tonight. They probably needed more testing time for Falcon than for UVI Workstation. I'd be surprised if UVI actually did the work itself earlier for the freebie than the not-free product. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Each model has its own scanner vibrato, and it sounds authentic for sure because it's sampled, so it's the real thing ;)

And no, sorry, there is no demo for it, just like for every sample based instrument products on the market.

Ok, could you point me to an example of what I was asking about? I do hear several examples of what sounds like scanner Vibrato (the "V" settings), but not scanner Chorus. Thanks.

I've noticed that when slowly triggering a note, there is one brief, higher-pitched tone played prior to the sound of all of the drawbars. It's not percussion...it just sounds like one of the higher drawbars is being triggered prior to the others. I didn't have a lot of time to play around with it, but it doesn't sound correct to me.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Kurzweil PC4, Roland Fantom-06, Casio PX-350M; 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

I've noticed that when slowly triggering a note, there is one brief, higher-pitched tone played prior to the sound of all of the drawbars. It's not percussion...it just sounds like one of the higher drawbars is being triggered prior to the others. I didn't have a lot of time to play around with it, but it doesn't sound correct to me.

I'm sure Acoustic Samples will respond, but I took that as the simulated key multi-contact system that a real tonewheel/drawbar organ has.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

I listened to most of the online demos and I didn't hear 888000000, scanner vibrato on C3, Leslie slow or off, and sustaining one note.

I too struggled to find this fundamental Hammond setting, and was unable to find a sound example of it! I bought B-5 regardless.

There is a lot of fun to be had with this simulation! I prefer a "brighter" sounding organ, and there are EQ tweaks avail in the speaker EQ section.

I think the Chorus/Vibrato "3" played without Leslie is fantastic...there is virtually nothing that separates it the real Hammonds I have known. When played through the Leslie simulation, it sounds a bit different to me. I get the impression there is possibly some amplitude vibrato as opposed to only pitch vibrato? Also, on a couple of chords I have played, there is the impression there is trilling going on. That is to say, possibly one note is at a different point in the vibrato C/V circuit?

Not sure if I am imagining it, and I have not exhausted all the different Rotary Cab simulations yet. There is a lot included!

C/V is the most important part of the Hammond sound for me, so I have to admit I am hard to please and, perhaps, overly focused on this point. All in all, very pleased with the purchase, and even more so with the update. It addresses some very key points.

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

ILC, your post is very helpful. Thank you. Since scanner C-3 sounds good without Leslie sim, maybe a different Leslie plugin would fix the slight phasing you're hearing with the B-5 Leslie sim. So cool that you're focused on C-3 chorus too. Minds in the same gutter...

Ok, could you point me to an example of what I was asking about? I do hear several examples of what sounds like scanner Vibrato (the "V" settings), but not scanner Chorus. Thanks.

I just created a quick mp3 of one note first normal then following the sequence: C1 V2 C2 V3 C3 and V1, then the same exact thing with a chord.

Vibrato test

www.acousticsamples.net

As Mighty Ferguson pointed out, this is a simulation of the key contacts. On a real organ, the quicker you press a key, the quicker all contacts are made (there are 9 under each key). But if you play very softly, you can actually get all frequencies to play one by one as each contact is made. We modeled that with velocity, so it's not entirely correct as velocity does not equal speed of key struck, but it's a good approximation.

www.acousticsamples.net

...this is a simulation of the key contacts.

Very cool! I had not yet played the B-5 softly but, now that I did, you can hear the initial different contact. For those who have played a real Hammond, you will know what it is!

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

Is there any way to turn off pitch bend recognition in the standalone version? My Impulse 61 is throwing out random pitch change info, even tho I've disconnected the pitch change wheel. I need a new controller, but right now this one works okay *IF* I can turn off pitch wheel recognition.

• 1 month later...

AcousticSamples has posted a new version of B-5 that is a bit easier on the CPU. The file is dated in late June.

I have been tracking organ parts at home in Cubase and rehearsing/performing with B-5 over the last few weeks, and it sounds/feels fantastic! I have been controlling it with both a Hamichord M-C3 and a Numa Organ 2. The preset MIDI maps for these controllers do require a bit of tweaking, but they are an excellent starting point. All of my presets use the C3 model that everyone seems to prefer, coupled with the 122B Leslie model on High quality.

What's your CPU/RAM and HD or SSD?

How low are you able to put the buffer and have it run reliably?

I'm on Win10 on a Dell laptop from 2012 - i7, 32GB RAM, and Intel SSD. I can run in Cantabile at 64 samples on my UR-44 with no issues. In Cubase, I usually bump up to 96 or 128 because I have other tracks running simultaneously.

I don't have any issues mapping B-5 V2 in MainStage 3.3.

What issues are you experiencing?

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Me either.

I'm a PC guy with no Mac/Mainstage experience, but is there a reason not to use the MIDI mapping within B-5 / UVI Workstation? It works great for me.

AcousticSamples has posted a new version of B-5 that is a bit easier on the CPU. The file is dated in late June.

I have been tracking organ parts at home in Cubase and rehearsing/performing with B-5 over the last few weeks, and it sounds/feels fantastic! I have been controlling it with both a Hamichord M-C3 and a Numa Organ 2. The preset MIDI maps for these controllers do require a bit of tweaking, but they are an excellent starting point. All of my presets use the C3 model that everyone seems to prefer, coupled with the 122B Leslie model on High quality.

I had no idea there was an update till I read this. Is there any information on what was updated. I also like the C3 but I use the LOG rotary, whatever that is. Very impressed with the version 2. Thought I would never turn away from VB3, but think this one will do it.

Me either.

I'm a PC guy with no Mac/Mainstage experience, but is there a reason not to use the MIDI mapping within B-5 / UVI Workstation? It works great for me.

No reason whatsoever if you are running UVI Workstation as a stand alone or in a host in Windows.

The work flow in MainStage is a little different in that you map your controller in the Workplace in MainStage, which gives an onscreen visualization of your controller, and then map these screen controls to each VI, like B-5,in MainStage.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

OK I spoke too soon re midi mapping. I am able to map faders and rotary controllers but not on-off buttons, which map to both VB3 and Vintage B3 OK.

Just logged in to my account and notice that the latest version of B-5 V2 is dated 3rd July 2017. Downloading now, will I install and see if that fixes the button mapping issue.

It will not fix anything regarding the mapping, but you might not be mapping it correctly.

Given the variety of Organ controllers, we have created a pretty complicated MIDI mapping system, so it's better to use it.

I don't know how Mainstage works, but i'm sure it lets MIDI CC through, so as long as the B-5 receives the CCs, you can use the MIDI panel and skip the Mainstage stuff.

www.acousticsamples.net