Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

HX3 MIDI expander module

TKN

It's easy to run dual.

I have dual expression pedals for swells too.

3rd Expression Pedal is Tube gain.

Sustain Pedal kicks on upper Vibrato, footswitch for Rotary speed.

Aftertouch for lower Vibrato.

Buttons for STOP, Perc, Rev 3, etc.

Since I'm into dirt and grind the HX-3 is actually more rewarding than the real hardware.

Tried Gas and Vent II, no need really.

Real Tubes from my Radial mixer grease things up even better.

HX-3 with UAD or Scope DSP interface is the juice for me.

4.25 is what I'm using.

Once I get it set I disconnect USB and that's that...

Can't really see any improvement.

For more high end percussion try Recapped.

I'm digging my Sugarloaf/ELP thunk...

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

I am too damned technically limited to record sound clips!! I have no recording devices.

Sorry.....

Mate Stubb etc. etc. - I got close. I used a Mojo to A/B into a mixer and dialed and dialed till I got something.

The Mojo still rules on all notes CV. HX3 gets most of it, but I have issues with the highest C in upper register. The HX3 in the midrange sounds pretty damned luscious though.

What are folks here with an HX3 or HX3-Drawbar Expander (DBe) using for 1/2 moon switches to control the rotary speed?

I got the HX3 DBe this past week (took advantage of the "trade-in" program from Diversi) and what a GREAT experience using the DBe provides over the HX3 plexi!!! Tom was a real pleasure to work with as well. He is an incredibly knowledgeable guy with tons of experience and some really great stories.

Thank you, Luis.

No one answered my question so I'll answer it myself!!! I bought the Ashby Solutions half-moon. In fact they now have a version of the half-moon that has dip switches that make it work with almost any organ clone out there.

My take on it is - I LOVE IT!!! Works great with the HX3 DBe. I use a Roland VR-700 as my controller for the HX3 and the half-moon attaches perfectly to the VR with the special 3M velcro they use to attach turnpike sensors to a car's windshield (it's a clear/white product that works a lot better than traditional velcro).

Replacing my HX3 Plexi with the DBe with now the Ashby half-moon is truly a game changer for me!

Hope this helps.

-------------------------------

HX3 Expander, Nord Stage EX, XM-2/XMc-2, VR-700, VR-09, 1954 C2 (22H), 1971 C3 (122/710), GSI VB3, GSI Burn

can that power amp be bought separate ?

I´m curious who´s selling Tornado products in germany and if there is a service center available.

The 115 w/ separate tubeamp sounds great !

A.C.

the Tornado is directly distributed by the italian manufacturer:

http://www.organmusiccenter.com/

(dellamattiasilvio@yahoo.it)

the separate tube amp is a 147/122 replica with some modifications, don't know if he is selling it separately

:cheers:

Regarding my HX3 vs. Crumar Mojo shootout.....

IMO.... the HX3 leslie simulation wins. The sim on the HX3 alters the organ tone less than it does on the Mojo.

There is a nice clarity on the HX3 sim. It is so good that I actually am using it as a " go to " sound instead of CV. And I am a die hard CV guy.

The HX3 CV is doing pretty well for me too. Scanner Gear and Modulation settings are all the way up. I will give a more detailed report of my CV setting when I have the module in front of me. There are still settings that I don't have a clue what they mean.

For now the HX3 stays. There are a few notes that seem like they could be tamed down in the CV but only as few. One is the highest C.

In the scheme of things, none of these clones are perfect. They all react differently to different speakers.

The HX3 has a nice clarity thing going for it. This is way better than the unit I had two years ago, which I sold immediately.

Speaker selection makes an enormous difference. I am using a 12'' JBL D 140 pair, full range - no need for a horn driver or crossover.

In the CV shootout, I probably still prefer the Mojo overall, with one exception.

When I use slow decay, 3rd harmonic I get some rather loud percussion tones in the upper octave of the Mojo.

This does not happen with the HX3. The percussion tapers more gradually on the HX3.

I know the "mojority" ( typo...deciding to keep it) of players like fast decay... not me. Except when the sim is on and am using no CV.

Perhaps some of the Mojo samples do not have these louder percussion overtones on 3rd slow decay... but most of the phones and speakers I have tried have it. I remember the Nord C2D did this too.

The HX3 seems to have a more correct percussion taper in the top octave.

This may open up a can of worms with Mojo people. On the default organ, it's definitely there.

Is this what some refer to as more " cut" in the top octave?

Speaker selection makes an enormous difference. I am using a 12'' JBL D 140 pair, full range - no need for a horn driver or crossover.

Hmmm ...

AFAIK from the past, a JBL D140 speaker is a 15" bass speaker while the D130 was a 15" fullrange and a D131 the 12" fullrange speaker.

There was also the "f" series found in Fender cabs and combo amps.

2 JBL D130f were in a single Dual Showman Reverb cab where the D140f was optional for the same cab.

2 JBL D131f replaced standard Jensen speakers in a Twin Reverb when ordered.

So, what do you really use now for the HX3 ?

A.C.

It's probably the JBL D131 I am using. It's the one with the 4'' inch voice coil - as I recall.

My mistake... I haven't had the box open in many years.

Also... I guess the Mojo sounds are not from a sample. I have been busted over this before.

Hopefully, my credibility is not shot over these details... I do know what tonewheel Hammonds sound like however. Generally there are not loud percussion overtones in the upper octaves.

It's probably the JBL D131 I am using. It's the one with the 4'' inch voice coil - as I recall.

Can also be a D120f which was a 12" especially designed for guitar amps.

IIRC, they all had 4" voice coils, but didn´t mean they were very reliable.

The power handling of the JBL D series speakers was insanely low compared to today´s speaker designs,- somewhere 25-50 watts,- frequency dependent.

My mistake... I haven't had the box open in many years.

Well, errors happen, but it´s in deed a biggie when you really use a bass speaker for the full range and don´t know since it will sound significantly different vs. using a wideband speaker.

Also... I guess the Mojo sounds are not from a sample. I have been busted over this before.

It´s physical modeling, so, depending on editing parameters available for the user, there´s nothing set in stone as it is w/ a "snapshot" what a sample really is.

I do know what tonewheel Hammonds sound like however. Generally there are not loud percussion overtones in the upper octaves.

I guess you know better than me.

According to the percussion overtones, I think it should be adjustable w/ physical modelling,- at least for the manufacturer and when using tools not being in reach for the user.

So, a firmware update might help.

A.C.

• 3 weeks later...

Does any body know or could any body make an educated guess weather the allen screws in the

front corners of the HX3 Expander Modual would work for mounting points for rackmounting.

The case looks extruded and there are no screws in the side to use.

oz7nJAU.jpg

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

I'd like to retro a 1U blank panel, cut, drill and attach on those

4 allen screws (get longer screws and even tap further if needed).

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Reporting back after testing out Neo Vent and Tall and Fat Pedal.

Bypassing HX-3 Rotary using Organ mono to Vent II was nice.

Bypassing Rotary to Tall and Fat then to Vent was also nice.

But nothing beats HX-3 out to Bellari RP562 w/ RCA NOS Tubes using HX-3 Sim.

Just one happy camper.

HX-3 is the best sounding, most customizable MIDI Clone I've played.

My preferences differ from most guys.

I want the 70s era sounds where the Cabinet and Doppler effect were a big part of the sound.

The RP562 is just the icing on the cake.

Which is dependent on what Tubes are used too.

All of the harshness of the HX-3 gets tamed down by real Tubes.

Love this Module.

My CV settings are doing well. I need to post these. I have it to the point that it compares well to both the Mojo and new Key B. I am just never near the module when I am posting.

When I use the leslie sim, the percussion response does seem to drop a bit into about the 4th octave ( 3rd harmonic).It of course disappears into the highest octave but I feel it could be stronger into the 4th octave.

For some reason it seems to perk up when the CV is on.

One of the big mistakes I may have made when I sent my first unit back was that I may not have been running the CV settings into mono ( Config A) . That took care of a lot of problems, though I had to mess with the CV settings quite a bit.

Playback source is everything as far as getting a good CV response goes. I have some headphones and speakers that nail it, but it can get very screwed up with speakers/ headphones with too much high frequency detail.

I played the Key B about a week ago and actually missed some aspects of what the HX3 can do. And the Mojo I was demoing is gone.

The HX3 leslie sim is phenomenal.... right in there with the Key B at this time.

If you can find one on the used market ( as I did ), these things are a bargain!

If you bug me enough I will bring my HX3 to the computer lab I use and post my CV settings. As I recall, scanner gears and C3 modulation are all the way up. Those are the two most important settings from what I can tell.

I'll be running the BPedals out to a new Roland SE-02 ext. input when it shows up in August.

Been using BPedals out into the Radial Space Heater for Fat ass 808 style sounds lately too.

This underground Kendrick Lamar style sound is so Compton.

My son sends the tracks to his bros and they all want to know what Bass sound is being used.

Hell HX-3 might be showing up in hip hop tracks once they figure out what's used.

By that time they'll hear the BPedals through the SE-02 then be tripping on what that is...

HX-3 has so many hidden talents in it.

Inquiring minds figure tangs out....

For inquiring minds....

The important CV parameters that I found are

Scanner Gears - set to 97 out of 100

Line box mix - set to 100 out of 200

C3 modulation... all the way up, 200 out of 200.

These got me in the ball park of the CV on the Key B Legend sample ( or model ) #3. I A/B ed the HX3 and the Legend , and the Legend is a bit smoother on the last 3 or 4 notes in the upper octave.

Other than that the HX3 CV holds its own in every way. And possibly has a bit more clarity and presence.

For non inquiring minds... I don't know what to say . I did an extensive quest for an updated clonewheel sound and at this time the HX3 is working for me.

Yes I do know what real CV sounds like.

The nice thing about the HX3 is that I can pair it with a keybed I don't have to fight. Currently I am playing presets with one upper drawbar adjustment that I use with the dial.

I play of 888000000 and 808000000 presets primarily, so it's do- able.

I think the HX3 could benefit from a slight revision of some upper octave notes, but a lot depends on the playback source regarding how those upper notes respond. Through the right phones those upper notes sound pretty usable, but the "throb " and speed could be a bit smoother.

Use 4-7 for slower ramp up on the Horn.

I always like Dark Side of the Moon and the Pusher by Steppenwolf ratios and ramps.

80 for balance.

60 for spread on recordings.

Live I like 30 as it sounds more centered..

An how do you set the throb? I tend to turn it down under 100, because it sounds a little bit artificial to me with less distance.

Nord Stage 2 76, Nord Electro 5D 73, Rhodes Mk2 73, Sequential Prophet 10 Rev4, Akai Miniak Synth, Roland JC 120

Full tilt on throb for me.

Just because it sounds better on a Spacestation with a Sub.

But my whole mix outs come from a Bellari RP562 Tube Exciter.

L/R to space station Sub out to B1200D.

It's the only vintage tube device with a sub out.

Really warms things up and takes away the brittleness the Spacestation tends to get.

Today I try the HX-3 out to a Radial Space Heater Tube Mixer, to the Lester K.

So that will require even more tweaks.

I can run Rotary L/R with Stop on.

Or Organ/BPedal out.

Whichever sounds the best I keep.

If Lester K sucks, my kid gets the Pedal.

For 150 bucks it was worth a shot...

Lordy Lord, everything changed, everything must change.

I've spent a fortune trying to get 147 tones and the HX-3 gets close but the cleaner sound then suffers as I had to really EQ with a 3 band parametric.

Lester K is here to stay.

I had to redo the HX-3 everywhere but it was worth it.

All I needed was an 800 boost of 8db and I got exactly what I've been looking for.

I heard a demo with clean VMK then Lester K and it sounded nice.

VMK Clean sounded weak compared to Organ out on HX-3.

Figured HX-3 would sound better.

It kicks serious Kansas/Uriah Heep Ass.

You want top shelf rock quality, don't bother with Vent, HX-3, Strymon or Tall & Fat, this is the Pedal you want.

What a steal for 150.....

Hardware - Great posts - I'm taking notes and I guess I'll need to check out that Lester K sometime! I've been really digging my HX3/ UHL these days. I hear you on the NOS tubes - I run my HX3 into an Effectrode Blackbird tube preamp with some old stock organ tubes (Amperex 12au7 and RCA black plate 12at7 are my favorite pair so far in the overdrive channel and I have a nice warm Raytheon 12au7 in the clean channel). Still using the original Ventilator and I dial in a little drive from there as well - but I also just added the B1200D to my rig and that's bringing back the low end I had lost with just the SSV3. And now the Spacestation sounds clearer with the filtered signal and has more headroom.

Good times! :cool:

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT