Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2864011 - 07/02/17 07:24 AM Xennials to the rescue
JuJu Kwan Offline

Loc: Shenzhen, China
Could Xennials turn the guitar market around. Part GenX, part millennial, born between 1977 and 1983. This is purely my own thoughts, I have no evidence that this may happen.
Xennials families are starting to leave home and and they will have more time and money. Xennials who started playing guitar when they were young may reenter the market. there will be first time buyers, those who may have dreamed of being a rock star when the were in school but for some reason never had the opportunity. This may also purchase higher end guitars, searching fo that one they couldn't afford when they were young. Just something to think about.

GP Island
#2864025 - 07/02/17 08:51 AM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: JuJu Kwan]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: JuJu Kwan
Could Xennials turn the guitar market around. Part GenX, part millennial, born between 1977 and 1983. This is purely my own thoughts, I have no evidence that this may happen.
Xennials families are starting to leave home and and they will have more time and money. Xennials who started playing guitar when they were young may reenter the market. there will be first time buyers, those who may have dreamed of being a rock star when the were in school but for some reason never had the opportunity. This may also purchase higher end guitars, searching fo that one they couldn't afford when they were young. Just something to think about.

I would hope so- I would like that! That age-group would have seen some interesting times- in general, and in musical trends- during their formative years. And certainly some interesting trends and changes in guitars, amps, effects, and home recording technology! Some of those involved resurgences of older, "vintage" instruments and sounds.

Other than my having been born in 1966, some of that description seems to fit myself, as well, and I can relate.

I certainly had my never quite realized Rock Star dreams, hehhehh!

And I am entering a phase where- due to improvements in my financial situation- I may be able to buy some guitars similar to some of those that I've either once had and 'lost', or always wished I'd had.

While I've been playing for many years now, I'm always seeking to improve my skills (and I have plenty of room for improvement! crazy grin ) and expand my musical-style 'vocabulary' and attendant techniques, lately even more than ever.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2864028 - 07/02/17 09:17 AM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Paul Scott Rock Offline

Loc: Ohio
That's a really small window you created identified as gen X ?
I think the boomers get like 20 years . Then the X kids were born
Then you got your Y gens and most recently it's the millennials. I'd say there is definitely overlap and you always have your refuse to grow up generation us guitar players belong to.

So are the X gen kids gonna save the guitar ? I'd say they already did when Pearl jam started jumping up and down on Saturday night live. That's where the shoegazers came from too.

It's now in the millennials court. They all play the ukalele .

Millennials are all artists. They are going to blaze their own trail.But they sing songs about rainy nights and broken dreams just like everyone else. They like a oustic music because they are looking for something real .In a plastic precast world where it's all been done , they are doing something they want to at least be original.
I like thier songs.

Edited by Paul Scott Rock (07/02/17 09:18 AM)

#2864029 - 07/02/17 09:19 AM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I'm a Gen Xer. One of the things that defined us is the relatively small size of our group. Those that have followed us have been more like the Boomers.

And that translates into economic power: when only about 50% of Gen Y had entered the job/consumer market, they already had more purchasing power- and thus economic influence- than Gen X. So even a small percentage increase in guitar playing among those later generations could mean a big uptick in sales.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (07/02/17 09:22 AM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2864043 - 07/02/17 10:26 AM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
I'm a Gen Xer. One of the things that defined us is the relatively small size of our group. Those that have followed us have been more like the Boomers.

And that translates into economic power: when only about 50% of Gen Y had entered the job/consumer market, they already had more purchasing power- and thus economic influence- than Gen X. So even a small percentage increase in guitar playing among those later generations could mean a big uptick in sales.

Excellent points.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2864050 - 07/02/17 10:51 AM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
JuJu Kwan Offline

Maybe I should clarify xennial. I didn't make it up, someone else coined the phrase. It's the 6 overlaping years of gen x and melinneal or gen y. I prefere to use gen y. I fall in that same gap between gen y and gen z. I revered to us as the confused generation.
I was going to use gen y, but when I discovered xennial I could relate. As for it being a small group, true. The rest of gen y will eventually reach this age and continue the trend, I simply broke it down into smaller bits. It wasnt my intention to leave an intire generation out, although i can see that it may have appeared so.

Edited by JuJu Kwan (07/02/17 10:52 AM)

#2864061 - 07/02/17 12:42 PM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: JuJu Kwan]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
JuJu, if you add 30 years to 1977 and 1983 that would be 2007 to 2013. Wouldn't those xennials already have affected the market if they were buying a lot of guitars? I do hope they re-energize the guitar market and bring in some great new music too! cool

#2864064 - 07/02/17 01:04 PM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: JuJu Kwan]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
I must say this is the 1st time I've been stumped in a while.
Usually it's me confounding others here w/ my use of language.

To me, using the generational terms, in contrast to just categorizing by age, is a bit like those who refer to musical scale/mode concepts by nomenclature rather than the more direct method of scale degree...but what ya gonna do, call the terminology militia ?
grin

As far as the basic ideas JK outlined, I got nothing.
I'm still dredging through the backlog of so-far-not-very-helpful-info-pile-up I accumulated tryna verify that recent NYT "death of electric gtr" story.
[ http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads...ect#Post2862249 ]

I do wonder abt this, though...
Originally Posted By: JuJu Kwan / from a recent thread
I'm going to start a thread on millennials and guitar in a few days. Millennials (generation Y) are buying and playing guitars at a significantly lower rate than previous generations. Save any thoughts you may have for later.

There you say it's not working the way that here you suggest it might.
What changed yer thinking ?

#2864086 - 07/02/17 03:47 PM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
coffee

WIKI defines it thus:

GENERATION X: From 1961 to 1979

MILLENIALS: From 1980 to 1995

BABY BOOMERS have at least two categories. One is from the early '40's to about 1960, and the "post war" baby boomers, from 1946 to 1964.

I'm "post war" being born in '51. But I really don't think any of this matters in regards to guitar purchasing trends. It's more the MUSICAL TRENDS that attract eah successive generation that has the biggest impact I think. But TWO things each successive generation have in common(and there's many factors at play here) is that EACH generation has had the propensity to succumb to peer pressure, despite some efforts and minimal success in bucking that aspect each generation. And each generation seems to be MORE indulged by their previous generation parents than THAT generation was.

Plus, you can't ignore the aspect of ECONOMIC situations in each generation. Not everybody raised through the "Great Depression" had it rough, just many more than not. And many in my generation, born to "Depression era" parents were raised with varying standards concerning money and indulgence. Many of us had parents that gave us well detailed history lessons of what it wa like to "do without" if we asked for so much as a quarter for an afternoon at the movies. Others, whose "Depression era" parents wished BETTER lives for their children, were gladly indulged in so that they wouldn't suffer as Mom and Dad did.

I really didn't mean to go off on a social behavioral tangent here. It's just that I'm weary of those who make "studies" only examining a relatively small portion of ANY demographic and declaring their findings true of the ENTIRE demographic. And subsequently TOO many people using it as ammunition to support some not well thought out position. Though I'll further point out that NOBODY HERE has done so. But I'm a member of several other forums, and this sort of thing in regards to other matters has been discussed recently.

So, all this blah-blah simply boils down to my belief it isn't anything GENERATIONAL that affects the guitar market except perhaps, the MUSIC the younger "Generation whatever" prefers and tries to personally emulate. There are several in my family that are on he "cusp" of both "boomer" and GEN X, plus others "cusping" GEN X and MILLENNIAL. And many of THOSE grew up in times when most music they cared about cme out of DJ's turntables and "stage stalkers" wandering around chattering into microphones. Somehow, modern music will have to make a concerted effort to RETURN to largely guitar oriented music, BEYOND what seems to be small cults of "post-punk" and apocalyptic "death metal" offerings.

Thank y'all for your time,those who took it;
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (07/02/17 03:48 PM)

#2864178 - 07/03/17 06:56 AM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: d]
JuJu Kwan Offline

Originally Posted By: d
I must say this is the 1st time I've been stumped in a while.
Usually it's me confounding others here w/ my use of language.

To me, using the generational terms, in contrast to just categorizing by age, is a bit like those who refer to musical scale/mode concepts by nomenclature rather than the more direct method of scale degree...but what ya gonna do, call the terminology militia ?
grin

As far as the basic ideas JK outlined, I got nothing.
I'm still dredging through the backlog of so-far-not-very-helpful-info-pile-up I accumulated tryna verify that recent NYT "death of electric gtr" story.
[ http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads...ect#Post2862249 ]

I do wonder abt this, though...
Originally Posted By: JuJu Kwan / from a recent thread
I'm going to start a thread on millennials and guitar in a few days. Millennials (generation Y) are buying and playing guitars at a significantly lower rate than previous generations. Save any thoughts you may have for later.

There you say it's not working the way that here you suggest it might.
What changed yer thinking ?
I should have stayed with millennial(23 to 37) instead of confusing the issue with Xennial. I even confused myself. What changed my thinking? I couldn't find any numbers to prove millennials weren't buying guitars. Second, I was looking at them today and not what they may do in the future. Third, this group may be more active in the used market. I have no evidence for any of this, just my own thoughts

#2864181 - 07/03/17 07:15 AM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: JuJu Kwan]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

???
idk
---------------------------
[Later]

Oops, I now see that yer reply was somehow edited into the quote of my post.

Edited by d (07/03/17 03:39 PM)
Edit Reason: altered info

#2864217 - 07/03/17 11:14 AM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@ JuJu, I think I'm going to do my part and help out those guitar sales and buy one more guitar LOL! It will benefit mine and Fang's post war baby boomers stats (I was born in '50). It's a Gibson LP Tribute 2017 HP Gold Top... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HLPTR17SGCH
I need another guitar like I need a hole in the head, but this one harkens back to my pre-guitar days with 57 Humbuckers on board. This was my favorite era of music with Scotty Moore playing his big old gold top Gibson doing all those Elvis Golden Hits Volume 1 tunes! So, I'm still following those I looked up to much like Dylan and his Buddy Holly idol (who played a Strat). I have been sorry I sold my 72 Gibson LP Deluxe, so maybe this will heal my wounds a bit...

I appreciate your thoughts as we all come up with theories and ideas for discussion and I want to hear more from the younger members/players out here! thu

Edited by Larryz (07/03/17 09:29 PM)

#2864240 - 07/03/17 02:19 PM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
I'm no help, I just bought another used Guitar, although I guess I contributed to GC's bottom line that day, FWIW.

Perhaps more pertinent to this thread, my wife and I have 14 nieces and nephews, in the relevant age group(s), and fewer than half of them have any interest in playing or performing Music. Only one niece plays Guitar, largely to accompany her singing - yes, she's one of the young girls who took up Guitar under Taylor Swift's influence. Most of the others sing, but Pop Tunes, Standards, Show Tunes, if you've ever seen an episode of Glee, you get the idea. There's one nephew who plays the piano, all old Standards as instrumentals, tunes that are older than he is, much older in many cases.

No Rockers, no Bassists, no Drummers, no future Lead Guitarists, hell, not even a future David Lee Roth or Debbie Harry in the bunch.* Somehow, I feel like I've failed as their Uncle . . .

*(The in-laws probably couldn't handle a future Jello Biafra or Wendy O. Williams, but WTH? I'd help the kids wire dummy stacks to explode onstage.)

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2864290 - 07/03/17 07:54 PM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@Larry---

Good choice. But I say that only because I fell in love with goldtop LPs after seeing Joe Walsh play his with The James Gang all those times at the Grande back in '68-'69. smile

If you ever get TIRED of it, you know where to find me! wink
Whitefang

#2864306 - 07/03/17 09:35 PM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'll keep you posted if a deal comes together Fang! cool

#2864470 - 07/05/17 03:54 AM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I just hope that JuJu comes to understand that when some of us make some off-hand and good natured "millennial jokes" that it's all in a bit of fun and that we "oldsters" too, have had OUR share of razzing from the previous generation. I mean, EVERY successive generation gets some "nudge and wink" from the previous, and each generation traditionally passes it along. cool
Whitefang

#2864533 - 07/05/17 08:21 AM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I loved it when my kids started listening to my generation's music more than their own. Now my grandsons prefer Elvis believe it or not, at the ages of 8 and 9! And Granpa did not influence them in anyway! One sings Blue Suede Shoes and the other sings That's Alright Mama at our last Father's Day get together with Granpa on the acoustic backing them up. The exact same songs that Granpa loved when he was their age LOL!

We have to do everything we can to keep the younger generations coming to our old fart music and keep passing it along IMHO. cool

#2864564 - 07/05/17 11:02 AM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: Larryz
We have to do everything we can to keep the younger generations coming to our old fart music and keep passing it along IMHO. cool

I've tried. One thing my wife and I did was to give them mix CD's on their birthdays, of what we were listening to at that age. We also made mixes from the years they were born. I got two of the kids (one niece, one nephew) their first Electric solidbodies, when they took a brief interest. Still, in the end, not a Rocker among them . . . idk

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2864584 - 07/05/17 11:46 AM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Don't give up hope, WPS!

Even though neither is a musician, my maternal aunt's 2 oldest sons didn't get into rock until their late teens/early 20s.

#2864656 - 07/05/17 03:36 PM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
I just hope that JuJu comes to understand that when some of us make some off-hand and good natured "millennial jokes" that it's all in a bit of fun and that we "oldsters" too, have had OUR share of razzing from the previous generation. I mean, EVERY successive generation gets some "nudge and wink" from the previous, and each generation traditionally passes it along.

Some would consider it a tip that maybe such "good-natured jokes" aren't seen that way by all & perhaps should be abandoned in favor of inclusiveness.
Life's abt evolving.

#2864661 - 07/05/17 04:07 PM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: d]
JuJu Kwan Offline

Went to Tom Lee Music in Hong Kong on Sunday. They were very busy, mostly under 30. Lot of people trying out guitars. This 1 of 17 Tom Lee stores in Hong Kong, that would be like 17 GCs in NYC. I gave a Ibanez a try but my boyfriend reminded me we just bought a house, so no more guitars for me for a long time

Edited by JuJu Kwan (07/05/17 04:13 PM)

#2864680 - 07/05/17 05:02 PM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: JuJu Kwan]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

FWIW, here's a quote I found from here at the Gtr Forum.
Dated from the year 2000.
Originally Posted By: JP_dup5
I remember when we were gigging in the early 80s everyone was talking about how the guitar was dead, but we kept gigging, and kept drawing crowds. EVH brought a new era to the guitar, and rekindled interest for a whole generation of kids. I personally was too old and set in my ways to learn his style of tapping, but I watched a lot of younger players learn it.
You haven't lived until you hear a tapping solo to "Lady in Red".
My 11 year old son is dead into the guitar & with mentors like SRV and KWS, what goes around, comes around.
JP

#2864741 - 07/06/17 05:02 AM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

2000? Well that 11 year old is pushing 30 and now I'm wondering how he's doing.

So, the guitar was "dead" in the early 80's? AGAIN? Didn't it die in the early '60's? And again in the later '70's when DISCO reared it's ugly head? And even NOW, it's dying YET AGAIN!

Guitars sound like what CHIEF DAN GEORGE said about the white man in LITTLE BIG MAN---

"...there's no getting rid of them." wink
Whitefang

#2864914 - 07/06/17 10:54 PM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Congrats on buying the new house JuJu! Guitars can wait... twothumbs

#2864919 - 07/06/17 11:37 PM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Agreed!

#2864950 - 07/07/17 04:25 AM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I agree too, but there's this to consider also.....

I probably had the same thing in the back of my mind when I bought MY first house in '73. But it was 30 YEARS until I bought another guitar! shocked
Whitefang

#2865108 - 07/07/17 10:38 AM Re: Xennials to the rescue [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Edited by d (07/08/17 06:40 AM)
Edit Reason: .

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose