Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2863974 - 07/01/17 04:51 PM OT: Worst traffic jam ever (for me)
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Absolutely the worst traffic jam I have ever been in on Interstate 5 near Magic Mountain north of LA area. 1 to 5 miles per hour for 8 miles when and if we were moving at all. My GPS said 8:26 PM arrival time, we got to the hotel at midnight. The GPS started to reroute me east of San Bernadino up thorough Palmdale and Lancaster Ca. And since it lies to me regularly I ignored it. This time it was right. I ao downloaded directions that way just in case, so I had them in print and on the traffic monitor on my GPS (I missed the indications that time, big time)...

Climbing up the hill we were stopped dead, I was sitting still in back of a tractor trailer and he started drifting backwards towards my car. I was leaning on the horn looking in my rear view mirror to see if I could back up, and one foot from the hood of my car he caught it. As he moved foreword, I quit that lane in a hurry and went into a lane with autos in front of me and stayed with the autos until we finally passed the trouble spot. Scary.

GP Island
#2864016 - 07/02/17 07:53 AM Re: OT: Worst traffic jam ever (for me) [Re: desertbluesman]
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
Welcome to L.A.!

#2864022 - 07/02/17 08:32 AM Re: OT: Worst traffic jam ever (for me) [Re: Delta]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
There's a been a brush fire in the Santa Clarita area the last few days. That might have added to the usual 4th of July get-out-of-town rush. Sounds like my drive to Santa Barbara on Father's Day. Two & a half hours late for a restaurant reservation with the family.

#2864031 - 07/02/17 09:21 AM Re: OT: Worst traffic jam ever (for me) [Re: desertbluesman]
Paul Scott Rock Offline

Loc: Ohio
What does this have to do with the guitar ?

#2864044 - 07/02/17 10:28 AM Re: OT: Worst traffic jam ever (for me) [Re: Paul Scott Rock]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Nothing. That's why DBM put "OT" in the subject header; "Off Topic". Sometimes we just get conversational & chatty here.

#2864051 - 07/02/17 10:55 AM Re: OT: Worst traffic jam ever (for me) [Re: Paul Scott Rock]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Hmmph !
Y'call that a traffic jam ?
Here, in ATL, where we have the worst traffic congestion in the USA, a couple months ago an entire section of interstate highway sys caught fire & melted during rush hour &, inexplicably, was not back in service for several (count 'em w/me ppl,...1...2...3... snax ...4...) 45 days.

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_85_bridge_collapse ]

Since, daily, 4M+ ppl drive in/out of ATL from the northern suburbs, 50% on that road, that, shall we sneer [ grin ], trumps yer Cali heartbreak.

Originally Posted By: Paul Scott Rock
What does this have to do with the guitar ?

It points up the essentiality of keeping a spare gtr in yer car at all times !

#2864057 - 07/02/17 12:30 PM Re: OT: Worst traffic jam ever (for me) [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
@ DBM, glad you made it up that hill and that big rig missed you! I'm glad you had to cancel coming by my place for a real jam (as opposed to a traffic jam) as there was quite a bit of heavy traffic on Saturday due to tons of people heading for Lake Tahoe to watch the fireworks, BBQ and camp in the cool weather up there this weekend! Sorry, we missed out on getting to meet you in person, but maybe next time!

@ Scott, +1 good answer...

@ D, +1 always packing an acoustic is a great way to pull of the road and enjoy a shade tree LOL!

cool

#2864437 - 07/04/17 09:52 PM Re: OT: Worst traffic jam ever (for me) [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
On my way back down towards home we took 99 for the first time in years from Stockton (Ca 4 freeway) to I-5 The worst parts of 99 are far easier to navigate than the best parts of I-5 I am a convert for the foreseeable future. Stress free, 6 lanes most of the way. Maybe I am amazed.

#2864530 - 07/05/17 08:09 AM Re: OT: Worst traffic jam ever (for me) [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
DBM, thanks for the good info on 99. I haven't been down 99 past Stockton (as I usually cut over to I-5 there) in a very long time... cool

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose