Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

• 1 month later...

Hi friends!

I'm new in this forum, but a VR-09 user for a few months.

Just a funny question... (I don't know if it has been discussed before...)

which drum kit is assigned to each rhythm pattern in the VR-09?

It may seem a strange question but here's my case:

1st. - I've conected my VR-09 to my computer via USB.

2nd. - On my notation software I've selected the new "USB Audio Device" (of course it's the VR-09) as the default MIDI Output.

3rd. - Now I'm going to writte some rhythms and drums music, so I've set the MIDI channel to 10 BUT NOTHING MORE, so the MIDI data I'll send to the VR-09 will be played in channel 10 (drums) with the last settings used or with the default settings...

I've noticed that when any Rhythm pattern IS PLAYED BEFORE I send the MIDI data, the drumkit used for the channel 10 is different... and I mean REALLY different!!

As far as I know in GM1 the drumkits had less sounds than GM2 kits -usually from C2 to C7, more or less-, but sending MIDI data in this way I get sounds that I can't find anywhere: it goes up to C10 and I've found really cool sounds like snare or cymbal "buzz rolls", single claps or even real voice samples (depending on which rhythm pattern has been played before... I've tested it with "Swing 1", "Swing 2" and "Swing 3")...

I tried to set the GM2 kits on the notation software (MSB:120, LSB:0, Patch:1/9/17/25/26/33/41/49/57, according to the MIDI implementation of the VR-09) and when I do this I can't find those "Strange" drum sounds...

I've also tried connecting a MIDI controller (88 Keys) to the VR-09 for plaing a Drum Kit with a larger keyboard, in order to test the notes outside the key range of the VR-09 (61 Keys). Nothing, the usual Drum Kits don't play those sounds.

so here's my questions: How can I access this drumkits? Where and/or what they are? and of course, How can I assign those drumits to my MIDI Channel 10?

Thanks a lot for the patience, I know it was a very large post...

I hope someone could help me.

Lloyd.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey guys I bought a VR-09 the other day and so far I'm mostly pleased but I had a question about the registrations. When I make a registration that's split I can't seem to change any settings like the drawbars on the prgan...It just dawned on me that I thought I read that the efx are only supported on the lower split and the organ is in the upper. Does this sound about right? Thanks

One thing I couldn't seem to find on the VR-09... is there any way to switch to organ and instantly (or with some additional button press) have the organ sound exactly reflect the live positions of the drawbars? (Sorry if it's been asked before, no time to read this entire thread. ;-) )

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

No. It's ridiculous. My organ preset is now set to all zeroes, so at least I am reminded by the lack of sound to move each drawbar. *sigh*

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

• 1 month later...

Somebody did a factory reset on your board. Find them, and kill them.

Wes

Somebody did a factory reset on your board. Find them, and kill them.

Wes

Ummmm...maybe just send them to bed without supper instead? :rimshot:

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

I don't see how. The factory data is not a default state, it needs to be actively loaded into the working memory.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow - amazing to see 300+ posts on this keyboard. I am awaiting mine - it is arriving tomorrow! A little background - I am a video producer who also produces music for video, and also a weekend warrior keyboardist. I have been playing since the 80's.

The reason I bought the VR-09 is, first and foremost, because of it's portability. Our band is going to Europe for a few weeks to play, and I desperately needed a very lightweight keyboard with battery power, just covering basic gigging sounds - organ, piano, and a few synth and brass sounds. Also, I wanted a keyboard that if it got damaged I wouldn't feel like I lost a fortune. I also play beach gigs, and wanted something very light and simple yet comprehensive that I could cart to the beach - and yet not have to worry about power, or lugging some anchor with me. And while quality of sounds is important, for me the portability and power is really the defining factor - the fact that this keyboard has some great sounds and drawbars is just icing, really!

I've checked out the YouTube videos online, and at least to me, the organ sounds are excellent for the price. Sure, you could spend 2-3K on a Nord, or Hammond, but again, that's not what I'm trying to achieve with this board - I want something super light, portable, battery powered, and easy for guest jammers to use as well as myself. This nails all of those needs in one really inexpensive package.

For those trying to achieve the perfect Hammond B3 or Transistor organ sound, I humbly state that you're probably barking up the wrong tree complaining about a keyboard that costs less than 1K. Having said that, the Roland does those sounds in a very practical way, one that would certainly suffice for most weekend warrior gigs. If you are that concerned about authenticity, you are going to have to go with a real Leslie and an organ priced waaaay above this. The simple beauty of this board lies in it's cost, weight, simplicity of use, and good quality sounds for 99% of the tunes you're going to squeak out of it in a rock or pop band scenario.

I think that Roland has proven themselves with their choice to make this keyboard. It does what it sets out to do, and would be at home with anyone needing a lightweight portable board. Discriminating pros could easily add this to their rig for a great second or third keyboard to add extra layers or textures, or to have the drawbar organ capability when needed. At the price, it's almost disposable, so why not?

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

-Carl Sagan

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Robert A.'s VR09 YT channel. It's amazing what he he is able to do with the VR09. He really is master of this little board. Lots of hints and tipps how to put it through it's paces:

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Loving this keyboard. One thing that I miss, however, is a mellotron string patch. Has anyone gotten close to that by modifying one of the string patches? I'm using hybrid strings right now but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. My old JV-1010 did a pretty good job of it...

EDIT: I see that this has been discussed earlier in this same thread. I'm going to try some of the suggestions mentioned there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Anyone had the courage to try a Midi Solutions Event processor plus to program the VR09 sliders and buttons to send midi CC?

BTW, It's possible also to use it to improve the Expression pedal response curve?, so you can use any pedal to send a more standard curve,cause that's one of the biggest issues of the VR-09 ( besides the lack of midi CC)

Thanks a lot,

What pedal are you using with the VR09? I found I had to tweak the adapter for the FC7 in order to get something I considered usable.

Hi Guys,Anyone had the courage to try a Midi Solutions Event processor plus to program the VR09 sliders and buttons to send midi CC?

I don't have a VR-09, but I just happened to be looking at this thread as I've casually considered getting one for a lightweight rehearsal board. I use a MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus to change the sysex generated from the drawbars on my VR-700, so I would think it would work similarly with a VR-09.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

I use a MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus to change the sysex generated from the drawbars on my VR-700, so I would think it would work similarly with a VR-09.

Mighty , Do you mind sharing the recipe to configure the EPP, so I can get an idea how to adapt it to the VR-09?

TIA!!!!

mobi, re-build your FC7 adapter so that you put 47K resistors in parallel with each side of the pot. The VR09 will respond a LOT better IMO.

Wes

Mighty , Do you mind sharing the recipe to configure the EPP, so I can get an idea how to adapt it to the VR-09?

Don't mind at all, let me dig up the configure file and see how it looks. I haven't messed with it for 2+ years. Please remind me with a PM if I haven't gotten back you soon.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

mobi, re-build your FC7 adapter so that you put 47K resistors in parallel with each side of the pot

My adapter is a plain one, no resistors, let me see if I get it, you mean putting a 47k resistor to the tip and other to the ring par of the adapter ?

Thanks a lot!!!

I couldn't remember the pinout, but I found an old post of mine. Yay!

I have since learned that the Ashby cable is just a naive wire re-arranger.

Follow up: The VR-09 works well with the Yamaha FC-7 as such:

1 - create a pigtail to invert tip and ring

2 - wire a 47K resistor between tip and sleeve

3 - wire a 47K resistor between tip and ring

4 - select expression curve #4

You will get adjustment along the entire length of the pedal, with correct minimum and maximum volume, and a solidly usable section in the middle. The resistor both adjust the maximum volume point (around 22-23K FWIW) and make the pot effectively more logarithmic.

I have no idea if this is what's inside the Ashby cable or not. Tip and ring are per the plug that enters the VR09.

Wes

• 1 month later...

I noticed one major online retailer has dropped their VR09 price to $799. Am I correct that original street price was $999, then dropped to $899 after a few years, and now $799?

I don't really need one of these but it is getting harder to resist! Early pages of this thread talk about the value proposition of getting this board for half the price of a Nord or Hammond SK. Now, the price is about a third!