Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

I'm sitting in a Thai restaurant eating breakfast. Never been to this one before, and it's gooood.

But the owner is watching something online that seems to be a talent or variety show, but right now sounds disconcertingly like a Miku Stomp demo vid. I almost shot noodles out of my nose...

Haahh! :crazy::laugh::D:thu:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hugo- while there are a LOT of very worthy compressor pedals of a number of types out there, this EH Corset is SUPER CHEAP- I mean, the price is VERY low- a great deal, huh?

Now...

[font:Comic Sans MS]KEV WANT... !![/font]

Both the Belle Epoch Deluxe, and the Epoch Pre...

____ [video:youtube]

I would like to see a comparison of the EH Tone Corset* and their Soul Preacher, which wasn't released that long ago and got good reviews. I guess the main difference is the Blend knob on the Tone Corset.

*Yes, that is a great name

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I would like to see a comparison of the EH Tone Corset and their Soul Preacher, which wasn't released that long ago and got good reviews. I guess the main difference is the Blend knob on the Tone Corset.

I haven't used either of these pedals, but having a blend control, for parallel compression, makes a HUGE difference in clarity, & even more than the Attack parameter, IMO, helps preserve natural attacks. It gets you a lot closer to what a good studio compressor can do, as far as not emasculating the attack of the notes.

Scott Fraser

I would like to see a comparison of the EH Tone Corset and their Soul Preacher, which wasn't released that long ago and got good reviews. I guess the main difference is the Blend knob on the Tone Corset.

I haven't used either of these pedals, but having a blend control, for parallel compression, makes a HUGE difference in clarity, & even more than the Attack parameter, IMO, helps preserve natural attacks. It gets you a lot closer to what a good studio compressor can do, as far as not emasculating the attack of the notes.

Let's hope that it also loses a lot of the noise that the old EH compressssorrsss put out, too...

[font:Comic Sans MS]I was wondering how long it was going to take for that Belle Epoch box to show up here, hahahaha.

Anyway, this came out 3 months ago, but it just crossed my internet path today. Roots/rockabilly players take note![/font]

[video:youtube]

[font:Comic Sans MS]This is 9 months old, but I just came across it so here ya go.[/font]

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP_snu5Nfjo

[font:Comic Sans MS]This device probably should've gotten its own thread, but whatevs. My curiosity's definitely piqued.[/font]

[font:Comic Sans MS]I was wondering how long it was going to take for that Belle Epoch box to show up here, hahahaha.

Anyway, this came out 3 months ago, but it just crossed my internet path today. Roots/rockabilly players take note![/font]

Hey! I really like that Milkman Slapback & Boost pedal! That's sweet, and would be a really nice pedal for a small, simple, convenient yet versatile rig. I'd love to have one even if I wasn't going to use it all of the time- it'd be a good pedal to have on hand.

Sort of like the Nocturne Mystery Brain in basic concept...

________--- [video:youtube]

And just when everyone's plunked down their compressor budget on the EH Tone Corset, they come along and release the Platform compressor (and then some). And play some King Crimson licks with it to draw you in deeper.

So many pedals, so little money...

NEW band Old band

You'd love a VFE Bumblebee feeding your favorite overdrives, distortions, and tube-amps, especially with some judicious echo and/or reverb. The VFE White Horse optical compressor, too, as far as squeeze goes.

...I can haz Platform?

http://pre07.deviantart.net/6081/th/pre/f/2012/050/3/f/lucifero_lolcat_by_fraterorion-d4q5ol0.jpg

Watching this space:

http://www.godlyke.com/totally-wycked-audio-effects-pedals/hand-built/krytical-mass

(So new, there aren't even demo vids up yet.)

A taste of the pedal it was based on:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

...having a blend control, for parallel compression, makes a HUGE difference in clarity, & even more than the Attack parameter, IMO, helps preserve natural attacks. It gets you a lot closer to what a good studio compressor can do, as far as not emasculating the attack of the notes.

MUCH AGREED. (In as far as I can say without much experience with true "studio compressors".) While I've found that generally 'Ross'/'Orange Squeezer'/'Dynacomp' type pedal-compressors can be MAGICAL with a Telecaster or Stratocaster style axe with single-coil pickups, they don't work as well with Les Paul/Gibsoneque instruments with humbuckers (P-90's may or may not figure here). Featuresome optical compressor-pedals yield FAR better results for my Les Paul and its hot humbuckers!

Watching this space:

http://www.godlyke.com/totally-wycked-audio-effects-pedals/hand-built/krytical-mass

(So new, there aren't even demo vids up yet.)

Looks to be very promising! There is growing number of Totally Wycked Audio offerings that I'm increasingly interested in...

• 2 weeks later...

This is so cool on several levels:

Blend Friend: STUDENT-DESIGNED RESONANT FUZZ

It's a Tone Bender-style fuzz with a clean-blend and resonant filter...

I had the privilege of working with two interns - Sebastian & Reed - from Tacoma's School of the Arts during the 2016-17 school year. They spent the second half of the year developing their own, unique guitar pedal. Even though school is now out for the summer, these two have come in to the shop to finish what they started.

Out of the $129 price, VFE takes home roughly $4 in profit. The rest of the money goes towards paying the students who designed and built the pedals, as well as the prototyping & parts costs of the pedals themselves.

VFE Pedals stands behind the quality of their workmanship with our standard 1-year warranty.

I suspect that there could have been a lot more to demonstrate in this video here such as use of the clean blend, the resonant filter, and dynamic response ("clean-up"), but it gives a basic idea...

________ [video:youtube]

@Caevan - Resonant Filters can get wa-a-ay out there; my Subdecay Prometheus is a Resonant Filter effect. Depending on how its voiced, you may not be able to get classic Auto-Wah sounds out of it, but you can get some startling Filter swells, that rise up and expand like bubbles of swamp gas; really, that's the best comparison I could come up with, and when you hear the sound I'm talking about, you'll just nod and say, "Yeah, swamp gas."

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I'm all in favor of the idea, but . . .

I've been able to get 'warm' Guitar tones out of digital gear for years? It's just a matter of using your ears, and tweaking the sounds. The most "sterile" Amp sound I've ever heard came out of a Roland JC-120, which has all-Analog components.

Anyone checked out the EHX Analogizer? Similar idea, but a very different circuit.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

It looks like it's more about making an SS amp sound as good as a tube amp by using the new pedal with the new nano-circuit. I think there is very little to support the claim in the article, like blind testing the two amps with studio pros perhaps. Boss and Fender sounds like a good choice for their future production ideas. I will look forward to the reviews when they come out...it is interesting and I hope it is successful. I'm wondering why they didn't try building this circuitry into the guitars instead? :cool:
Take care, Larryz

@Larryz - It would help to be able to hear what it does, rather than reading about it. Boss & Fender already ventured into this territory, to a degree, when Boss issued pedal models of the Bassman and '63 Reverb. They got very good reviews when they came out, then, poof, they were gone?

I can see a big market for this circuit in consumer electronics, as the article suggests; they might even be able to make those digital assistants sound more, well, human.

@ Winston, +1 some audio samples and comparisons would be nice! There have been pedals by Fender and modeling amps/pedals by Boss, Line6, Fender, Tech21, etc., trying to get that warm tube sound and they do get close. This new circuit may have hit the target, but we haven't heard any samples yet LOL! The cost of maintaining a tube amp doesn't bother me. When gigging back in the day, you did have to check that the tubes were up in their sockets when traveling those back country roads. But, my old Twin Reverb held up extremely well. Weight would be a big consideration as most SS amps are lighter to pack around with just a pedal, than hauling that Twin all over hell and back LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I came across Idiot Box Effects on Prymaxe. I'm more amused by the names and graphics on the pedals than the effects themselves, though the Mad Doctor Stutter and Dimension X Delay sound kind of cool.

One of the more daring of us should do the Mystery Effect Pre-order just to see what box of weirdness they send you.

NEW band Old band

Agreed about their pedal graphics- some make me giggle. :laugh:

Been looking at their Static Fuzz for a while...

And the Dungeon Master ticks SOOOOO many boxes for me!

1) doomy fuzz? Check!

2) old TST-era D&D font for the name? Check!

3) Atari 2600 Adventure! dragon & sword graphics? Check!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/