Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2859395 - 06/05/17 01:16 PM FS: Dingwall Afterburner I (5-string model) w/ Series Mode
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
After almost three years of thinking about it, I finally decided last night to part with my Dingwall Afterburner I 5-string bass guitar (passive, yet sounds active), with the fanned fret system and Bartolini pickups.

It has a four-way pickup switch, and emulates P-Bass, MM-Bass, J-Bass, and whatever comes to mind for Series Mode.

This was my primary bass for almost 15 years, but I gravitated towards classic Fender sounds a few years ago -- first time for me, as I did not start on Fender basses and had rarely played them until recently.

I have simply decided, after going over 100 or so of my songs yesterday, that I can achieve anything that I need to with a maple P-Bass, maple J-Bass, or 5-string Yamaha BB-Bass, and that I no longer want the more "modern" sounds for anything anymore.

It is quite easy to adjust to the fanned frets, and having two full octaves is a plus -- especially for jazz soloing. But I'm a strong believer in keeping only what you need, and focusing on a few things to excel at -- which I did for 15 years with this bass until finally finding the right Fender models to get me over my anti-legacy bias.

I do not yet know if I have a shipping box the right size for this, so am initially entertaining local-only, but if non-local, let me know anyway as it will force me to prioritize an attic sweep -- probably good to do this week as we've been lucky with moderate weather, but soon it will be too hot to go up there. :-)

Sorry that I don't yet have time to do a pricing canvas for what is reasonable, and don't take this rough guess as a promise by any means, but I'm thinking most likely these would range between an absolute minimum of $800 and maybe up to $1300 as they are around $2K new.

Comes with a TKL hard shell case (bought separately).

Although I think my signature says so, I am SF Bay Area, NCAL.

Edited by Mark Schmieder (06/05/17 01:17 PM)

BP Island
#2860444 - 06/10/17 05:25 PM Re: FS: Dingwall Afterburner I (5-string model) w/ Series Mode [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It is now finally posted locally on CL, for $1200 or best offer (I saw a few go for $1400 or so on Reverb). If no responses here or there over the next few days, it will go on auction instead, starting probably around $1K.

#2862611 - 06/24/17 06:31 PM Re: FS: Dingwall Afterburner I (5-string model) w/ Series Mode [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

SOLD for $1200 a few minutes ago on eBay. Only ten minutes after I posted id. :-)