Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2862586 - 06/24/17 02:21 PM What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self?
BigMoney Offline

Getting pretty deep with this question fellas. I'm a young guy myself at just 22. I'm curious as to what advice you would give yourself if you could go back in time. Can be music or non-music related

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcZ2NCZyxrBJYC5yufPaVAg

GP Island
#2862595 - 06/24/17 03:26 PM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: BigMoney]
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
As far as playing guitar, it would be, don't ever quit playing. I started playing at 12, took a year of lessons at 13, but at 17 I quit playing for 15 years. I didn't even have a guitar. Once in awhile I'd pick one up at a party and play and people would say I was pretty good. I started playing again at 32, shortly after the birth of my son and have been playing ever since. I now have a home recording studio and 6 guitars. Keeps me out of the bars.

#2862631 - 06/25/17 03:58 AM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: Delta]
whitefang Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
As for NON music related, I suppose I could fill THREE threads with that sort of stuff. So I'll just limit it to music.....

Get LESSONS. Mow lawns, shovel snow, scoop dog crap off people's yards, Spend each weekend searching for empties, ANYTHING short of peddling your adolescent ass for money, but use it for LESSONS!

Your buddies wanna got to the movies and ask you to go to?

Tell 'em "Have fun." and wave "bye-bye." Pocket that cash and get LESSONS.

Hey! Wouldn't you look SHARP in that cool looking SHIRT? So, LOOK like a bum and get LESSONS.

OK, you can spare a buck or two for gas in your '60 Ford Falcon, but spend the REST of your car wash pay for LESSONS. (Yes, a buck or two would suffice it was that long ago)

So, that FOX of a chick says she'd go out with you if you asked and you KNOW she's a "sure thing"? Well, don't be a FOOL. "Treat" yourself this one time. But then get BACK to scrimping scrounging for money for LESSONS! wink

Then you WON'T spend the next near 50 years regretting NOT doing that! wink
Whitefang

#2862653 - 06/25/17 06:38 AM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: whitefang]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Maine
1. I know you're hard up for cash right now but do not sell your 1961 Gibson Melody Maker for $100.
2. Once you don't sell your 1961 Gibson Melody Maker, keep playing and don't stop playing for over 30 years!

#2862657 - 06/25/17 06:44 AM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: bbqbob]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
"Even if you've got a bag of cash in one hand, a gun in the other, and a body at your feet, don't say a word until your lawyer gets there."

Oh, sorry, I thought we were talking about something else . . .

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2862701 - 06/25/17 10:54 AM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: Winston Psmith]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
"Follow me, I gots a surprise for ya ! grin

Oh, & practice sight-reading more."

#2862725 - 06/25/17 01:05 PM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
Learn your major and minor scales along with their corresponding Pentatonic blues scales...study a little theory, chord structures, and intervals as well...and get on the improvisational band wagon! cool

#2862747 - 06/25/17 02:39 PM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Keep taking piano lessons.

#2862752 - 06/25/17 03:00 PM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: Scott Fraser]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Quote:
I'm curious as to what advice you would give yourself if you could go back in time

Go to college/university and get a degree in computer sciences/programming. And then a job at Microsoft early on when they hit the scene.

#2862754 - 06/25/17 03:56 PM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: desertbluesman]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

In 1967: "I'll take the rest of those old, used Gibsons & Fenders you have taking up valuable space there."

#2862928 - 06/26/17 01:30 PM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Paul Scott Rock Offline

Loc: Ohio
Rely only on yourself. No one is going to help you . You may think getting in a band with these other player will help get me out make me a better player etc. That is bull.
Also be on the alert ,when a door opens , go through it.

I passed on a few opportunities I should have embraced.

Some things are going to happen. You play the hand your delt. I have no regrets .

#2863153 - 06/27/17 11:44 AM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: Paul Scott Rock]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
I stand by my previous advice, as it came from a lawyer, so . . .

However, as this thread relates to Music: I'd argue with Whitefang on one small point, which is, if you're saving that much money, get one really good Guitar, and hang onto it. You're going to need something to play during those lessons you've been saving for.

More general advice, not just for myself?

Take care of your ears, your hands, and most of all, your brain. Not a hardcore "Just Say No" rant here, more of a "Don't take foolish chances" suggestion from a lucky survivor. You'll also have a much better chance of finding, and staying with a good group, if you're not a waste case.

Find a teacher who will also listen to you, someone who lets you be yourself, and also helps you to challenge yourself.

Learn from everybody, especially Musicians who don't play the Guitar; they'll open your eyes, and ears, to new ideas, and different approaches.

Sit with your Guitar in your lap when you watch television or movies, and play along with the show themes, and the tunes in the commercials.

Don't settle, when you're looking for an instrument, especially if it's going to be your first, or your main instrument. If you're an Electric player, same advice goes for your first amp.

Don't be afraid to enjoy Music that isn't "cool", whatever that really means. If you enjoy it, and get something out of it, who cares what anyone else thinks?

Expand your horizons. Join a group that plays a form of Music you're not familiar with. I don't mean jump in over your head, but get out of your own bag. I joined a Bluegrass group in High School, and I am NOT a fan of Bluegrass, Folk, Country nor Blues, but it was something different to do.

To that end, if you can afford it, have at least one instrument that isn't a Guitar. The Electric Bass isn't much of a stretch, the Mandolin is a little more of a challenge, but something like a keyboard or wind instrument can really break you out of your established playing patterns. A keyboard is also a great learning & reference tool, even a cheesy electronic keyboard, and you can find those in yard sales and thrift stores.

If at any point, it stops being fun, just stop, and see where you are, and ask yourself why not? While I do believe that Music is for everyone, the life of a Musician, especially a professional Musician, is not. There will be times when it will be hard, but it should not become a hardship.

Edited by Winston Psmith (06/27/17 11:46 AM)

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2863288 - 06/28/17 05:25 AM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: Winston Psmith]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Good point, Winston, but I WAS generally speaking in the case of already HAVING a decent instrument. There's a lot of variables in it all.

And your one point, "Don't be afraid to enjoy music that isn't "cool".

GREAT advice. I'll add it to my list. I've always enjoyed a diverse range of music, but DID avoid others through a particular age period because I didn't want to appear NOT to be "cool". Thereby spending a lot of time "catching up" in later years and having a hard time doing so due to the difficulty in FINDING all that stuff after so long.
Whitefang

#2863419 - 06/28/17 12:27 PM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: whitefang]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Buy all those old Jazzmasters and Jaguars and Mosrites and Fender Bassman heads that litter the pawnshops here for $100 ea.

#2863429 - 06/28/17 01:12 PM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: p90jr]
splitting hare Offline
Gold Member

Loc: The 'Nooga
I am not much of an advice giver since different things work for different people. HOWEVER, I would offer this advice to my younger 17 year old self in regards to playing guitar and wanting to play music for a living (and to anyone else thinking about it) ... LEARN HOW TO SING! You may develop killer chops on guitar but if you can sing AND tear up the fret board, even better! Learn how to sing and when you do, sing OFTEN! You don't have to be the next Roger Daltrey or Ann Wilson, but if you can take the mic and sing lead as well as backup, your potential for success playing music full or part time increases greatly! Plus it just might help reduce the chances of having to rely on someone suffering from Lead Singer Disease to front your band! laugh

#2863442 - 06/28/17 01:41 PM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: splitting hare]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Hare, "whare" ya been ?

#2863467 - 06/28/17 02:40 PM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: d]
splitting hare Offline
Gold Member

Loc: The 'Nooga
Originally Posted By: d
Hare, "whare" ya been ?

grin

I pop in from time to time when I can find a free moment!

#2863577 - 06/29/17 05:18 AM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: splitting hare]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
When time-traveling, I always tell my younger self not to interact with my younger self, at any cost- again, and again, and again, and again...

Actually, seriously, I'm so pleased with the way my good decisions and my wrong turns have all dovetailed into my own personal style and sound and approach and techniques that I wouldn't change a thing in my past, as far as my guitar playing goes. Now, about money and some of the fantastic, even legendary guitars, amps, and pedals that have slipped in and out of my grasp over the many years- yeeeaahh, I'd have some serious discussion about all that...

Originally Posted By: splitting hare
Originally Posted By: d
Hare, "whare" ya been ?

grin

I pop in from time to time when I can find a free moment!

Glad of it! Good ta see ya here now 'n' then, my friend. wave

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2863896 - 07/01/17 05:03 AM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
MP Hall of Fame Member

CAEV, this sort of thing often pops up and when it's asked, "What would you change if you could go back in time?" Well, in NON musical terms, my answer usually is:

I wouldn't change a thing. I'm HAPPY with where I am now, and it's mostly due to WHO I'm with now, and if I go back and change ANYTHING, it might never have happened. Chance I wouldn't want to take. wink

But on the lighter side, a favorite bit from a JaY Leno "tonight" show monologue:

"A recent study shows that 86% of married men say that if they had to do it all over again, they'd marry the same woman. And THAT woman is SALMA HAYEK!" grin
Whitefang

#2865901 - 07/10/17 12:07 PM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: whitefang]
Ensenada Guide Offline

Loc: Baja Mexico Ensenada
stick with classical

#2865970 - 07/10/17 03:40 PM Re: What Advice Would You Give Your Younger Self? [Re: Ensenada Guide]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

What Willie Nelson would tell his younger self: "Shut up".

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose