Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2862294 - 06/22/17 06:59 PM GAS decision problem - need outside opinions
Chewbubba Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Arkansas
So, I've been playing for ... *does math* 29-ish years.

After my first couple of years I saw Victor Wooten and I dreamed of having a Fodera. Yes, I know having a Fodera won't make me play like Wooten (pretty sure he's not even human). But that flame maple top with the gold hardware was just gorgeous.

Anyhoo, I'm in a place where I might be able to get one. But I'm torn, because I know they are just silly-overpriced, and I would also love to have a nice Fender Jazz.

For that matter, I need new gear. My amp is a solid state Peavey from 1990, and is pretty much shot. I have an ART effects rack... also pretty much shot.

I can't afford it all.

Shout out your own opinions - whatever they may be. Hopefully they may help me clarify what I really want.

BP Island
#2862327 - 06/23/17 04:47 AM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: Chewbubba]
lug Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: League City,TX,UNITED STATES
In your situation....Amp, definitely Amp.
I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

#2862375 - 06/23/17 08:27 AM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: lug]
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ithaca, NY
Agree...amp first. I'm a big fan of using PA gear for bass. Boutique amps and speakers boast about how they have such a flat frequency response just like...like...good PA gear, but cheaper than boutique bass gear. Pre-amp of your choice to put the appropriate dirt back in.

#2862469 - 06/23/17 05:51 PM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: Paul K]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I started leaving my amp at home a long time ago. I use the SansAmp programmable bass driver DI and run through a powered wedge (QSC K10).

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2862471 - 06/23/17 06:15 PM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: J. Dan]
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: VA
Since I'm a practical and budget conscious family man, +1 on the SansAmp DI if you play through a PA already.

You want a Jazz, you want a Gold Fodera with matching hardware, why not buy or build a J-Bass with gold hardware, it's gotta be less expensive.

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

#2862523 - 06/24/17 05:26 AM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: Bottom End]
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Connecticut
Generally speaking, a good amp will make an average bass sound better. A crappy amp will make a good bass sound bad.

Buy the amp -- lots of great choices, make sure you get PLENTY of power, great stuff on the used market. Then start saving for the Fodera.

#2862965 - 06/26/17 04:07 PM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: jcadmus]
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Belgium
As someone who spent years using a debatable-quality amp and a very nice MIA Fender Jazz, I can say that having invested in a great cab (Barefaced) and a very nice amp (Orange Bass Terror 500) I am very happy I finally took the plunge and invested in the amp-side of things.

Yes, it is less fun. I use neither the head nor the cab frequently, since I practice through headphones. Would love a Warwick (a real one) or a Mayones fretless. But I am so incredibly happy to have put the money towards the amp and cab - it really DOES make a world of difference.

Shame no one will ever get to hear it, cos I always pick bands that go nowhere fast grin

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

#2863743 - 06/29/17 06:27 PM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
Basshappi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Tucson,AZ
Amp.

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

#2864091 - 07/02/17 04:20 PM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: Basshappi]
Chewbubba Offline
Gold Member

Update:
Yesterday I picked up a sansAmp NYC stompbox, since the majority of what I do is at church, just plugged into the system.
However, I do have a big show in early November (we've already started rehearsals :-/) and I think you guys are right - I need an amp.
I've been "Freddy Freeloader" when it comes to gear... yeah, I'm that guy...

Anyway, does GK still make quality amps?

Oooh, on a somewhat separate-but-related topic, what can I do with the old combo amp. It works, but just not well.
The old ART Nightbass effects unit (and foot controller)... it also works, but not well... I don't know what to do with those things either.

#2864104 - 07/02/17 06:21 PM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: Chewbubba]
jeremy c Offline
10k Club

Loc: Berkeley,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: Chewbubba

Anyway, does GK still make quality amps?

yes

#2864212 - 07/03/17 10:18 AM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: Chewbubba]
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Update:
Oooh, on a somewhat separate-but-related topic, what can I do with the old combo amp. It works, but just not well.
The old ART Nightbass effects unit (and foot controller)... it also works, but not well... I don't know what to do with those things either.

Put them on The eBay or The Craigslist.

#2866359 - 07/12/17 10:28 AM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: jcadmus]
SteveC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Grand Forks, North Dakota
Get an amp.

#2867351 - 07/17/17 03:36 AM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: SteveC]
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
Fender put GK out of business but he's up & running again under his own name of Genzler and they are as good or better.

G.

#2867369 - 07/17/17 06:33 AM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: Chewbubba]
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Update:

The old ART Nightbass effects unit (and foot controller)...

Wow! That was a totally over-the-top piece of gear when it came out. Sure you don't want to just clean it up and keep it around?

#2877238 - 09/05/17 12:36 PM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: Paul K]
zeronyne Moderator Offline
I still exist
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Chicago/NW Indiana
Did you actually have an opportunity to get your hands on the Fodera?

#2878385 - 09/11/17 08:36 AM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: zeronyne]
Chewbubba Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: zeronyne
Did you actually have an opportunity to get your hands on the Fodera?

No. The GAS has passed. Lol. I really like the bass I have, I decided I'm not going to drop that amount of dough on a bass. Especially since I'm not getting any younger (pushing 50 already).

Originally Posted By: Paul K
Wow! That was a totally over-the-top piece of gear when it came out. Sure you don't want to just clean it up and keep it around?

The low-Z jacks are all loose and buzz and I can't get it all the way apart to try to resolder them. The are attached directly to one of the circuit boards.

On a side note, I might be getting an amp and cabinet Wednesday. Any amps/cab I should AVOID?

#2878910 - 09/13/17 11:44 AM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: Chewbubba]
Chewbubba Offline
Gold Member

Too late. I found a Markbass 800w class D amp and a Markbass 4 x 10 cabinet in my trunk. ;-) Sounded killer at the store. Can't wait for my neighbor's complaints.
One question - would it be smart or dumb to stick casters on the cabinet? Or should I just buy a dolly (heavy stuff + my back = a couple weeks of suffering). [Edit: Nevermind - that cab is SOOOOO light... not an issue)

#2879194 - 09/14/17 11:00 AM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: Chewbubba]
jcadmus Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Get casters or a dolly anyway -- you'll be surprised how heavy a light cab will get if you have to schlep it too far.

Nice rig -- I've really liked all the Markbass stuff I've played and heard.

#2879249 - 09/14/17 01:03 PM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: jcadmus]
DJR_Bos Offline

Nice. I have the 300/500 watt option with two 1X12 cabs. Crazy loud even with one cab running and really, really light. That thing is going to peel some paint. Enjoy.

#2879391 - 09/15/17 06:24 AM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: DJR_Bos]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Congrats, Chewbubba. But would you mind turning it up a notch or two? I can't quite hear you over here in Maryland.

#2879482 - 09/15/17 12:39 PM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: Danzilla]
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Dolly. Casters don't travel well on bumpity paths.

I said buy a dolly. Casters don't travel well on bumpity paths

#2880036 - 09/18/17 12:44 PM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: Paul K]
Chewbubba Offline
Gold Member

Yeah, this weekend was the first time hauling that thing around. While I could carry it one-handed, over a long distance I was wishing for wheels or a dolly.
I think dolly might be the way to go - I have to hop a curb every weekend.

And yes, that thing is flipping loud! Love it!

What do you guys do about rain?

#2880089 - 09/18/17 06:25 PM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: Chewbubba]
jeremy c Offline
10k Club

Loc: Berkeley,CA,UNITED STATES
I have covers on all my speaker cabinets. My bass head is in a case.

#2880159 - 09/19/17 06:04 AM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: jeremy c]
Chewbubba Offline
Gold Member

Okay. I found "ears" to mount the head in my rack (there will be plenty of room after I pull that ART Nightbass unit out of there), as well as a cover for the cabinet.

Thanks for all of your help and opinions folks!

#2883425 - 10/05/17 06:45 AM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: Chewbubba]
SteveC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Grand Forks, North Dakota
Oh GAS, how I know thee. I've gotten a lot better. I have my Roscoe 5 and a G&L JB-2 my wife got for a ridiculous deal as an alternate/back up bass. Everything else is gone. I feel pretty good.
I'm going to update my amp from a Genz Benz Shuttle that I've had for a long time to a new Genzler MG800/BA12-3 cab. I usually have FOH and IEM's so the Genzler should suffice for hime practice and occasional jazz quartet gigs.

Took me a while to get to this "happy place" but it's nice to just grab my bass and go. I think after I update my amp I'll feel the same. It's a nice place to be. I hope I'm old, wise and disciplined enough to stay here a while and realize what great gear I have and that it does all I need to do.

#2888002 - 11/01/17 03:08 AM Re: GAS decision problem - need outside opinions [Re: SteveC]
Seamy ALB Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Ireland
Thats a nice rig - health to play. I put casters on everything not wee ones - big heavy duty jobs therefore no bother on most surfaces. To get the coupling effect yo may want to put the cab on its side for playing. I prefer the sound of it floating on the casters though to my ears there is less boom and more clarity, thats a personal choice though!!