Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA-07

My fantom x6 with 4 srx cards sounds and feels better than the jupitar 50 (which I owned and sold)to me. That's why I'm not too curious about the fa series since it's supposed to be lesser than the jp50. It may be just me.

Well, lesser in some ways (far fewer SuperNatural Acoustic tones, no more than one insert effect per tone), better in others (the large library of legacy SRX and XV-5080 sounds, sample pads, more split/layer functionality), very different interface. We'll have to see about the action.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also factored the lighter weight and narrower width of the Yamaha.

Compared to what?

Compared to the FA08. Sorry - I wasn't clear that it had become a choice between the 88 key workstations.

Here for the gear.

This is the Roland copy that went out to sonicstate.com.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2017/06/21/roland-launches-fa-07-music-workstation/

"The new FA-07 model features a 76-note velocity-sensitive keyboard that's semi-weighted, offering enhanced playing feel and expanded range for complex live setups with multiple splits and zones. The FA-07 complements the other instruments in the series, which includes the FA-08 and its 88-note Ivory Feel-G keyboard with weighted action, and the mobile FA-06 and its 61-note velocity-sensitive keyboard. Aside from their unique keyboard configurations, all FA instruments include the same sounds and features."

Now, this might be a translation from Japanese, but I am sure Roland UK read and approved this, and it seems they are making a clear distinction between the three actions... Ivory Feel-G on the 08, mobile friendly velocity sensitive on the 06, and a extended (76k) velocity sensitive semi-weight to offer enhanced playing feel and more room for splits and zones on the 07.

Am I filling in blanks to hear what we want to hear? Or do you guys read it this way as well?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The difference in weight between FA07 (18.6 lbs) and FA06 (12.6) can't be justified by just one extra octave, so most likely a different keybed. Besides keys on the FA07 look different - more rounded vs more sharp edges on FA06.

So yes - I'm thinking the keybed is from J50. (btw I see that J50 was discontinued, not sure when).

I have the Lester K. My organ tones run out the sub out on the FA08. It is a TRS jack, so I use a TRS in to 2 TS out "Y" cable and run in stereo.

Just make sure to go in to the menu on the FA's organ tones you use and shut off it's effects so that Lester does all the work.

Once you turn off the FA's own rotary effect, the organ sound should be mono, so a simple guitar cable from that to the Lester K should be sufficient, as the Lester will generate the stereo rotary effect from the mono signal. AFAIK, the only reason you'd really care about a stereo in on the Lester K would be to be able to pass a stereo sound from the board when you are bypassing the rotary effect and playing some (non-organ) stereo sound... which is not a factor when you're sending the organ out its own dedicated jack. (In fact, I would assume that the Lester K is summing its input to Mono--or only using one of its input jacks--whenever its rotary effect is engaged. Rotary is a mono-in, stereo-out effect.)

Yeah I get all that. I use Lester K for more than just the organ.

In some studio sets I send true stereo tones thru Lester.

I just didn't feel like getting into the weeds in this thread since we were talking about organ. :)

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Yeah I did see that. I am still not convinced either way. Myrk, himself, chimed in and said if you look at Roland's videos, the 07 looks like it has that same glossy finish.

Uh huh. Hmmph.

Of course that's the GAS talking :) No need to change things up now that I finally got it all working....

Yeah, I've just recently settled on a combo I thought I was going to be really happy with, and now...

Am I filling in blanks to hear what we want to hear? Or do you guys read it this way as well?

Yup, I posted something similar a bit upthread. But then you see something like the videos you posted, where their text groups the 61 and 76 together, saying, "Available models include the 61-note FA-06 and 76-note FA-07, which both feature velocity-sensitive keyboards with synth action, and the FA-08, which features an 88-note keyboard with weighted action." Hmmph again.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Okay, so back to the 2.0 OS.

What a huge difference. The tone remain function is very nice (within the Studio Set). Also, the Master Keyboard capabilities are a big step up, and the main thing I wanted Roland to do.

This may cause me to put the PX5S back in hibernation in my Mainstage rig. That's a topic for the other thread, though.

I've just done a lot of cursory examination of the new features, so not much in the way of details to report beyond what Roland shows in the various videos showing off the new functions.

David

This may cause me to put the PX5S back in hibernation in my Mainstage rig.

So, possibly willing to trade off having a hammer action on your bottom board, if the FA action meets a threshold of "good enough"?

This may cause me to put the PX5S back in hibernation in my Mainstage rig.

So, possibly willing to trade off having a hammer action on your bottom board, if the FA action meets a threshold of "good enough"?

I think you misunderstand. ;) I still have my FA08 That would be my main board again, with the Arturia Keylab61 still up top.

It's the Version 2.0 OS that has made the difference.

In addition to the things I talked about above, being able to assign pad mode per Studio Set opens up even more streamlined capabilities for me with Mainstage.

Since I couldn't do these things prior to the new release, I figured, save some weight and go with the PX.

Now I can have the true hybrid (rompler/Mainstage) rig I desire.

The power of some of the Roland tones that I can't recreate in Mainstage without buying $$$ VSTs, coupled with the powerful Mainstage sounds I've created gives me a rockin' setup.

After three years I sort of gave up on Roland ever updating the software.

I am very happy with Roland right now.

Also, the FA08 is it's own Audio interface. That would really clean up my rig.

David

I think you misunderstand. ;) I still have my FA08

Ah! Yup, I thought you were thinking about replacing the PX5S with the FA07. Got it.

I agree, for all the reasons you listed and then some, the FA08 would be functional and sonic improvement over the PX5S in your rig. The only trade-offs I see are the size/weight (36 vs 24 lbs) and fewer simultaneous assignable continuous panel controls (6 knobs, vs. 4 knobs + 6 sliders), though of course your Arturia also covers the latter. (ETA: The other possible trade-off is the variable of your opinion of the FA08 action vs. the PX5S action.)

Just to keep travel weight down, an alternative I might consider would be to stick with the PX5S and replace the Arturia with an FA06 (or FA07), if the combination of those boards could still cover what the Arturia does for you. One notable loss would be aftertouch, though. {sigh}

I did the update to 2.0 this morning, no issues. They added a few new factory presets to demo the sound remain/switching thing. Lots of possibilities there.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Does anyone have any inside info on the new EXP-11 that's coming out?

This, perhaps?

http://axial.roland.com/category/rd-2000/

No sir, this. In the first paragraph after the video.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/roland-fa-07-76-key-workstation/909165

Thank you! It sounds intriguing. I'll keep an eye out.

Re: EXP 11 - there's some speculation over at Roland Clan.

One user there noticed there was an extra slot in internal memory (where there used to be a total of 12 there's now a total of 13) so they've definitely made room for an additional EXP (you can't load more than 2 of course, but I believe this is so they each have unique Bank/Program (MSB/LSB/PC) numbering.

If we could only load more than 2 at a time...

These downloadable patches, are they just programmed patches or do they contain wave data as well? I haven't personally owned a Roland since XP-80/JV-2080 generation. So I haven't used the Axial website before. How big are the files usually? And with these storage slots you say there's already preset program locations so # off timbres limited by memory location not size?

Axial has two kinds of downloads... some are synth programs which contain no new waves and do not take up the virtual expansion slots that some Roland products have, others have wave data and do use up a slot (the DS has one slot, the FA has two). The ones available for the FA so far are at http://axial.roland.com/category/fa-06_fa-08/ - the ones that begin with EXP have wave data (and so far at least, they are all derived from the old SRX cards).

Got it, so the slots are for wav data. The non-EX sounds are just parameter programming and call on stock wavs or other internal synthesis engines. The EX downloads actually contain additional wav data and take up an expansion slot.

There is sampling and storage for samples on the FAs, but if I understand right it's single layer and intended for trigger via the pads? Not for user patch design, key mapping, etc.

Got it, so the slots are for wav data. The non-EX sounds are just parameter programming and call on stock wavs or other internal synthesis engines. The EX downloads actually contain additional wav data and take up an expansion slot.

There is sampling and storage for samples on the FAs, but if I understand right it's single layer and intended for trigger via the pads? Not for user patch design, key mapping, etc.

Yes to all, though there is apparently some way to trigger the samples from keys as well.

Yes to all, though there is apparently some way to trigger the samples from keys as well.

Correct. The assignments are constant.

C1 = Pad 1 C#1 = Pad 2, and so forth.

I used this when I was using my MOXF over my FA08 to trigger a pad.

On Studio sets you dont want this you need to make sure you turn off the option when using an external board to play some things on the FA, or else you get unintended triggering. Ask me how I know.

I found it to be a great feature for ergonomics while playing.

David

On Studio sets you dont want this you need to make sure you turn off the option when using an external board to play some things on the FA, or else you get unintended triggering. Ask me how I know.

Very handy feature. I use the keyboard to trigger samples for a few songs myself while using the pads to switch sounds at the same time. Just wish the sustain pedal would work with the samples! Or maybe it does but it's turned off by default and I haven't looked yet...

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Very handy feature. I use the keyboard to trigger samples for a few songs myself while using the pads to switch sounds at the same time. Just wish the sustain pedal would work with the samples! Or maybe it does but it's turned off by default and I haven't looked yet...

I have not looked for that either. I'm too busy having fun learning new things to do with 2.0 :)

David

Just played the FA-07 today at Gearfest. I will confirm that the action is a substantial improvement over the 06, which was set up just above it so I had an immediate comparison. It didn't feel as good as the action on my Jupiter-80, but it was very nice. Dare I say you could even play piano on it, in a pinch.

The real estate on the left side of the panel did not appear to be large enough to completely host a Boutique synth. Probably would be about two inches of overhang.

Overall, I think Roland has a winner here. :2thu:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Just played the FA-07 today at Gearfest. I will confirm that the action is a substantial improvement over the 06, which was set up just above it so I had an immediate comparison. It didn't feel as good as the action on my Jupiter-80, but it was very nice. Dare I say you could even play piano on it, in a pinch.

The real estate on the left side of the panel did not appear to be large enough to completely host a Boutique synth. Probably would be about two inches of overhang.

Overall, I think Roland has a winner here. :2thu:

Thank you for that report!

David

Just played the FA-07 today at Gearfest. I will confirm that the action is a substantial improvement over the 06, which was set up just above it so I had an immediate comparison.

Wonderful news and thank you so much for the report! I'll definitely be picking one of these up when they reach New Zealand. May be a wee while. :laugh:

Just played the FA-07 today at Gearfest. I will confirm that the action is a substantial improvement over the 06.

Oh jeez...I sense my pockets getting lighter in the next couple of months! If I do end up getting the FA-07, it would replace my aging TR-76 as a second tier board on big gigs and a stand-alone board on smaller gigs..I'll miss the aftertouch a bit...but the sampling pads would be VERY useful for the gigs I've been doing over the last couple years...and the lack of user Program/Combi slots on the TR has become extremely frustrating...To be honest, I haven't yet found a perfect replacement for my needs...The Kurzweil PC3 was probably the one I was closest to buying, but I think I'd find it's small screen frustrating eventually, and I hear that the action on the 76 key is polarizing...the Forte is pricey and not available in unweighted keys...Yamaha doesn't make a MOX7, and besides I've already got a MOXF8...Korg decided to put a weighted action in their 73 Kronos (plus the 2-minute boot up would be a problem for some of my gigs). I still consider the FA-07 a compromise (ideally, I'd want aftertouch and sliders/drawbars on this 2nd board), but it's about as close as I've seen to what I'm looking for

Moonglow, you say the action is noticeably better...is that in terms of the action itself, the key-size, or both? Also, was the finish on the chassis the same glossy style as the 06, or was it matte?

--Sean H.

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg TR76, Novation X-Station 61, Casio PX-320

Moonglow, you say the action is noticeably better...is that in terms of the action itself, the key-size, or both?

Both.

Also, was the finish on the chassis the same glossy style as the 06, or was it matte?

I don't remember, actually. The extent to which it was glossy vs. matte didn't really make an impression one way or the other.

I think one of the features of a good action is that it doesn't get in the way of your playing, so you don't really think about it because it's not distracting you from doing what you want to do. That was my experience with this action.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw