Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2862117 - 06/21/17 06:18 PM Practicing Too Loudly
BigMoney Offline

A mature guitarist doesn't need to practice loudly I've come to notice. After 4 years of jazz school, I noticed the best guitarists in the program during my time there practiced rather quietly while the lesser guitarists practiced obnoxiously loud. I try to practice at a talking volume these days. It's just annoying when the girlfriend still complains it's too loud at 10pm

What do you gents think?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcZ2NCZyxrBJYC5yufPaVAg

GP Island
#2862143 - 06/21/17 09:44 PM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: BigMoney]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Volume is OK if playing in a bigger room with a drummer. I play at the volume that my vocals are without amplifying the vocals. I try to balance my backing tracks and the guitar sound with the un-amplified vocals. I practice at home at reasonable volume levels always. I have a tube overdrive pedal that gives me almost everything I need at conversation levels to get that singing tone. I set the overdrive pedal to the same volume level as my clean sound.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2862149 - 06/21/17 10:19 PM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: desertbluesman]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I've always kept my practice volume to a dull roar or less. In fact, I most often use headphones.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2862150 - 06/21/17 10:21 PM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: desertbluesman]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I practice all my electrics unplugged. That's about the right volume for me. When I need my effects racks, my amplified volume is about what an acoustic guitar puts out. This is basically the result of playing gigs with acoustic players.

#2862153 - 06/21/17 10:40 PM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I keep my volumes low, but I still want my vocals mic'ed. My voice just sounds better with a little reverb. I only have one rule when playing with a band on stage or in practice. Never be louder than the vocals (No matter which instrument). You can crank up a lead or play a little louder on fills, but don't step on or drown out the vocals.

Dynamics is very important and I can adjust my guitar volume without turning up the volume knob. When playing solo and when playing with sensitive players, using dynamics is the way to go. I like to play electric the same way I play acoustic. Set it and forget it. Being able to hear myself on guitar and vocals is paramount IMHO. cool

#2862163 - 06/22/17 03:15 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Larryz]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Heck 90% of the time I don't bother to plug in. Just an unplugged Tele. Maybe A Nylon string guitar. If I do plug in it is probably going to be at estimated stage levels because I'm probably trying to zero in my benchmark settings. Mostly amp settings, Graphic EQ and dirt box settings. Everything else (compressor, tremolo, phaser chorus and delays) is easy is set. The stuff that is hard to tweak is gain stage related and depends on the room, headroom, how the pickups and amp talk to each other etc ..... It seems to be a constantly moving target sometimes. Probably a big reason I don't trade amps often. My main amp is a Boogie I bought in 91 and my other amp is a 65 Twin I got in 1985 or so.

Edited by CEB (06/22/17 03:23 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2862164 - 06/22/17 03:32 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: CEB]
whitefang Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Only having a couple of acoustics, I really CAN'T get very loud. And since lately, as I said, my main focus is on left hand finger placement and dexterity, I don't NEED to get very loud. So there's no problem. wink
Whitefang

#2862192 - 06/22/17 07:39 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: BigMoney]
Fred_C Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: PA
I own a Roland Cube 40XL amp. It has a function that lowers the output of the amplifier from 40 watts to 2 watts. The 2 watt setting offers a room filling and musically satisfying sound and the tone remains excellent as well. Perfect for practicing.

#2862204 - 06/22/17 08:03 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Fred_C]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
As Scott & CEB mentioned, practicing on electric gtr w/out amplification can be effective plus there's a couple interesting effects: you can often tell more abt the gtr's natural timbre w/out an amp &, for a real kick, try butting the headstock of the gtr against a door frame for some "room ambience".

#2862210 - 06/22/17 08:24 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: d]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've done that years ago when I had a cheap electric. A friend of mine told me about it.

Good idea.
Whitefang

#2862224 - 06/22/17 09:13 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: whitefang]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I feel I should track down the people who lived around me in my teens-to-early 20s and apologize profusely... I was a volume terrorist! I played in loud bands of the punky indie rock variety (still do, but now it annoys me) and I played loud as hell by myself... it just seemed to be part of writing material for those bands, being engulfed in the volume and the noise... and we practiced LOUD, and were loud onstage. But if I was "practicing," learning things or working on technique (which I didn't use when I was playing noise rock), then it quiet, if plugged in at all.

At the same time, I played in r&b or jazz bands and had to be appropriate with the volume.

Just schizo, I guess...

Once I got acoustic guitars that became more of a focus for playing at home, and little practice amps. Maturity, I guess.

I have a soundproof room out in the back yard, but I never feel like going out there alone unless I get the urge to play drums. Otherwise, I set in the living room (my house was built by a guy who owned a door factory as his residence... I knew I wanted to buy it when I noticed that the interior doors were all solid wood, so if I close the doors and my family is asleep or whatever they can't hear a thing, not even if the alarm gets set off, which might be a problem) and play acoustic or electric (through a nifty Vox AC4 or my iPhone using AmpliTube into earbuds or into a zT Lunchbox Jr., which actually sounds good by itself). I never get the urge to set up the amps I use to play onstage or the effects pedals, really, unless we're doing a full band practice out back for something (and I have the room set up where nobody needs to be loud).

Maturity, laziness, or both?

I can tell you that I can't take the volume that my wife will sometimes play music in the car, while she'll complain about the lesser volume that I play records at home.

I have no patience for bands that are way too loud for the room, anymore (and I'm still called "the loudest guitar player in the universe" by some here in town)... I have no more patience for being in rock bands that practice at blasting levels and put earplugs in and aren't really playing with each other but starting and stopping at the same time (so now those people say I'm gotten to be an old fart). But I notice audiences - especially young women - don't want to be in the same room with loud bands, anymore, so...

#2862267 - 06/22/17 01:31 PM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: p90jr]
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
I play quiter as I grow older. Go figure.

#2862322 - 06/23/17 03:13 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Delta]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
By myself, sometimes I practice with my electric guitar 'unplugged', though often I like to practice plugged-in, and often that was through a digital-modeler and headphones, as well as an amp and speaker. Usually just loud enough to get the dynamic and tonal nuance in my amp's (or a digital-modeler's) response, and that of some of my pedals when used, that is a large part of what I do.

With a drummer and/or a full-on band, I like to practice with EVERYONE just and I mean just loud enough most of the time, with occasional gig-level practice-sessions and those shouldn't be too much louder.

You need to be able to hear each other, you need to be able to hear yourself, you need to be able to hear your mistakes as well as everyone's successful fruition, you need room for variation in dynamics.

I have striven for these goals using digital-modeler/multi-effects units, headphones, low-powered tube-amps, speaker-emulators and attenuators, feedback-generating devices that allow- empower!- feedback at any or NO volume... And, technique and touch and listening-skills and a musical ear.

When I was a kid in High School, when I showed up for the 'Stage Band's' rehearsal with my Peavy T-15 and a high-powered SS Peavey Deuce 2x12 combo and began to play along, the Instructor remarked with a crazy "who knew?!" smile, "WOW, I guess you CAN play quietly! You can actually turn UP a little!" She, of course, had dreaded that I was going to be obnoxiously, inappropriately LOUD, overpowering even the horn section and the drummers and percussionists with bad tone... crazy grin rawk

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2862325 - 06/23/17 04:27 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Not knowing for sure, I would assume it more USEFUL for a BAND to practice at "gig level". But for someone in solitude, there's no real need for blowing out the windows.
Whitefang

#2862330 - 06/23/17 05:03 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: whitefang]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: whitefang
Not knowing for sure, I would assume it more USEFUL for a BAND to practice at "gig level". But for someone in solitude, there's no real need for blowing out the windows.
Whitefang

"Gig Level" actually shouldn't be very loud; that is, the stage-area should have relatively tame volume levels, and everyone in the group should be able to clearly hear both themselves and everyone else in the group. Ideally Monitors or IEM's should be used and will help this tremendously; some will use direct sends to the PA and monitor-system and thus have NO amps and speakers being heard onstage (other than the monitor-system being used).

The volume-level from the PA to the audience will likely be another matter, and will almost certainly be louder than the stage-area.

#2862390 - 06/23/17 09:18 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

"gig level".

Of course "Gig Level" could be monstrous. Or Not.
I've read interviews with Page, a guy known to occasionally stand in front of a couple Marshall 100 watt twin stacks, where he says they never put Bonham in the monitors. No matter how loud they played on stage, they could always hear Bonham acoustically just fine. He was that loud. Which is kind of amazing.

#2862395 - 06/23/17 09:24 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

You can always turn it down...

I showed up at a winery gig with my big PA and asked the owner for a larger extension cord. I brought my bigger stuff as it was an outside gig. The owner said: "you aren't going to blow us away are you?" and I said: "no, we left the drummer at home LOL!" and "don't worry, we can always turn it down"...he was more than happy with our volume level.

Another outdoor private party my guitar bud put on, had to stop at 10pm, and the party moved inside. Everyone but me brought their acoustics (guess I didn't get the memo LOL!). So, I hauled my Hot Rod 410 DeVille and my Strat inside and set it up to play with the acoustic snobs (actually my very good buds!). They were giving me a hard time saying: "you're not really going to play that with our acoustics, you'll blow us away!" and I said: "I can always turn it down." Once we started playing, they were amazed that I could play under their acoustic levels and using dynamics get a tad louder for a lead. They were very happy campers and even bragged on me a little LOL!

And, at another outside stage gig, the bass player saw me setting up my DeVille and said "that's a little overkill ain't it?" and you can guess what I told him: "I can always turn it down a little." When you need a little more volume, it's always available. He was happy after hearing me in the mix...

+1 you need to be able to hear everyone you're playing with to include yourself. And, everyone has to be sensitive to their volume levels and be able to hear you as well IMHO. cool

#2862411 - 06/23/17 10:49 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: CEB]
BigMoney Offline

Originally Posted By: CEB
Heck 90% of the time I don't bother to plug in. Just an unplugged Tele. Maybe A Nylon string guitar. If I do plug in it is probably going to be at estimated stage levels because I'm probably trying to zero in my benchmark settings. Mostly amp settings, Graphic EQ and dirt box settings. Everything else (compressor, tremolo, phaser chorus and delays) is easy is set. The stuff that is hard to tweak is gain stage related and depends on the room, headroom, how the pickups and amp talk to each other etc ..... It seems to be a constantly moving target sometimes. Probably a big reason I don't trade amps often. My main amp is a Boogie I bought in 91 and my other amp is a 65 Twin I got in 1985 or so.

@CEB interesting. I don't often plug in these days either, but it's never because I want to I think of tweaking stage levels. I guess it does depend on the venue to a degree as well. I'll remember this

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcZ2NCZyxrBJYC5yufPaVAg

#2862522 - 06/24/17 04:19 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: BigMoney]
MP Hall of Fame Member

As for hearing the other players, I can understand that. Otherwise, you'd have to employ the use of a conductor, like the big symphony orchestras do. wink And that would look kind of silly, wouldn't it? grin

But I'll have to take all y'all's word for it as when I WAS in a band that only played a few small parties, our scant equipment wasn't ABLE to really get all that loud. wink
Whitefang

#2862538 - 06/24/17 07:54 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Because much of the sound I'm going for is tied up in FX and Synths, I tend to plug in to practice, and very often use headphones with an Amp Modeler. However, I only turn up loud enough so I can comfortably hear myself, and I take frequent "ear breaks", every twenty minutes or so, where I take off the headphones, and let the little cilia in my ears relax for a while. Ear fatigue is a real thing, and a precursor to hearing loss, so I don't put up with it.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2862547 - 06/24/17 08:43 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 Winston, above all, protect your hearing! thu

#2862577 - 06/24/17 01:13 PM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Larryz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Yes, by all means, hearing safety is a must!

#2862636 - 06/25/17 04:24 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Better SPECIFY more Caev. Critical thought is ALSO on the downswing, and some millennial mudbrain is gonna try stretching a CONDOM over his head! grin
Whitefang

#2862646 - 06/25/17 05:35 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: whitefang]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Better SPECIFY more Caev. Critical thought is ALSO on the downswing, and some millennial mudbrain is gonna try stretching a CONDOM over his head! grin
Whitefang

I... I can't heer yoo... Whutt?! freak

#2862651 - 06/25/17 06:22 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
JuJu Kwan Offline

Loc: Shenzhen, China
Millennial mudbrains have been dying in a war they didn't start for 15 years, and generation Z will be fighting it for another 15 years. Millennial bashing is getting old. People in to 30s were probably doing the same thing to the generation that fought WWII, and on and on.

I don't belong here.
Ju Kwan

Edited by JuJu Kwan (06/25/17 06:28 AM)

#2862697 - 06/25/17 10:32 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: JuJu Kwan]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: JuJu Kwan
Millennial mudbrains have been dying in a war they didn't start for 15 years, and generation Z will be fighting it for another 15 years. Millennial bashing is getting old. People in to 30s were probably doing the same thing to the generation that fought WWII, and on and on.

I don't belong here.
Ju Kwan

I think you belong here, JuJu'; and every generation and any in-between has had its share of mudbrains, geniuses, and everything in-between, not to mention detractors and bashers, lovers and haters. I don't think whitefang was directing that toward you- nor was I with my previous reply to your post on the NYTimes: "The Death of the Electric Guitar"-thread; your words just presented a spring-board, a catalyst, inspiring what came to my mind and keyboard. Please forgive if we've offended or hurt you!

I'd hate for you to completely leaver this forum- and even more so, I'd hate for you to have been hurt and insulted.

People in to 30s were probably doing the same thing to the generation that fought WWII, and on and on.

Good point; you're right.

#2862699 - 06/25/17 10:51 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

JuJu, splitting is a doubleplus-ungood idea.

I think you might've just misunderstood an attempted joke abt "protection" but it was rather annoyingly put, w/ the generational angle.

Stick with us, many think yer some fresh air.

#2862732 - 06/25/17 01:22 PM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Don't leave us JuJu! You definitely belong here and bring a breath of fresh air to this forum. I'm still waiting to comment on your upcoming Millennial thread. I'm a baby boomer mud brain and had to fight in a war for 1 year at the tender young age of 19. That old fart attempt at a joke could have easily been aimed in my direction back in the day... cool

#2862819 - 06/26/17 04:50 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Larryz]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Could have been aimed at many I KNEW TOO back in that ambiguous period of American history known as "the day". wink Wasn't anything PERSONAL intended, nor aimed at anyone in particular.

And in one way or another, I too have taken my share of lumps over the years in this forum. Comes with the territory. And nobody seriously means much of the "ribbing" they give and get. That some DO is something you just have to let roll off. Life EVERYWHERE is a bit like that, and if you don't build up a thick skin HERE, you might not out THERE, and that'll just make your life miserable.

Not for ONE SECOND did I enter this forum expecting some kind of "custom fit" to my particular sensibilities and idiosyncracies, and WELCOMED the wide variance of diverse personalities, far different from my own, exchanging ideas and experiences.

A "Twilight Zone" episode titled "The Mind and The Matter" with Shelly Berman might show what I mean in a way.
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (06/26/17 04:53 AM)

#2862835 - 06/26/17 07:01 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: whitefang]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Whitefang

For some, that's a good look...

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2862836 - 06/26/17 07:01 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Y'know that last section looks like another distraction egregiously injected into a thread but there's a certain aspect that definitely relates to being too loud.
cop

BTW & FWIW
Thank you, ....
I'm moving, so I will be missing for a while.

#2863052 - 06/27/17 04:12 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: d]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
At home I practice my electric unplugged, though I have a headphone amp I could use if I wanted to. Playing at stage volume would lead to endless problems with the neighbors, which I don't need, thank you very much.
Of course, I can practice my acoustic and mandolin without problems, and the flute, well, they asked me not to practice before 10 am, which seems reasonable enough. The problem is I can't practice flute at 2 in the morning without waking my wife up, a problem I DEFINITELY DON'T NEED, LOL.
I have a beautiful old Fender Princeton bass without an amp for it. If I practiced that, it would be with the headphones.

#2863081 - 06/27/17 07:13 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Eric Iverson]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Eric
I have a beautiful old Fender Princeton bass without an amp for it. If I practiced that, it would be with the headphones.

I thought Princeton was an amp...can't find a ref to a Princeton bass anywhere........ idk

#2863240 - 06/27/17 08:50 PM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: d]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: d
BTW & FWIW
Thank you, ....
I'm moving, so I will be missing for a while.

Thanks, half'.

#2863279 - 06/28/17 04:37 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Re: d's comment: you are right, Princeton is the guitar amp, and Precision is the bass guitar. Anyway, it's a beautiful instrument.

#2863322 - 06/28/17 07:44 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Eric Iverson]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Princetons are great little practice amps with great sound...I like the Jazz Bass a little better than the Precision, but I sold mine and now I kind of wish I had kept it! cry

#2863338 - 06/28/17 08:35 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think some of Clapton's Layla stuff was done w/ a Princeton.

#2863436 - 06/28/17 01:30 PM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Clapton and BB were sporting Twin Reverbs on the classic photos on the Riding with the King album...they are some of our great clean players of all time...My brother has a Princeton, but I can't get him to sell or trade it to me! cry

Edited by Larryz (06/28/17 02:16 PM)

#2863439 - 06/28/17 01:36 PM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

If ya can't get him to let y'borrow it, kill him & take it.
The law will stand by you as a coerced necessity.

BTW & FWIW, I mistook the facts of history.
EC seems to've used a Fender Champ during Layla.

Edited by d (06/29/17 06:57 AM)
Edit Reason: typo correction

#2863461 - 06/28/17 02:18 PM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Those Champs are very cute...I like the Twin the best, but no one will carry it around for me LOL! So, I've sized down to a 112 HRDeluxe. Great little amp, so I guess I'll let my brother live for awhile longer LOL! cool

#2863469 - 06/28/17 02:42 PM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I had 2 Twins over the years, smokin for clean and bright. My favorite amp of that era was the Pro Reverb silver face 50 watt with 2 JBL K 120's in it. I got tones out of that thing that would still amaze me to this day. Everything on 10 except the bass control. It was loud. Maybe that is why I have tinnitus. I used that amp every time I played out.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2863522 - 06/28/17 08:48 PM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: d]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

I think some of Clapton's Layla stuff was done w/ a Princeton.

BTW & FWIW, I mistook the facts of history.
EC seems to've use a Fender Champ during Layla.

Some of EC's Layla guitar tracks were played through a tweed Champ, and some of Duane's guitar tracks were played through a tweed Deluxe.

#2863555 - 06/29/17 04:25 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yes, you don't need to play at high volume with huge amps in a studio.... it's not a stadium with 20,000 screaming kids, LOL.

#2863565 - 06/29/17 04:52 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Eric Iverson]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Eric Iverson
Yes, you don't need to play at high volume with huge amps in a studio.... it's not a stadium with 20,000 screaming kids, LOL.

And even if it was, the PA and monitors or IEM's would provide a lot of the needed 'horsepower', with mics and direct-sends for your amp and cab; stacks of 100- or 200-watt tube-amps are generally just not necessary.

#2863663 - 06/29/17 09:24 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Back in my gigging days, we didn't have any IEM's or instruments mice'd or sent to the PA (other than my Keyboard). We had to adjust our instrument volume levels for small bar venues, outdoor gigs and dance halls. We had to make sure those volume levels never overpowered the vocals and had a couple of sound and light men to keep us in line LOL! My Twin put out about 85 watts rms, and it was never up past 4 on the volume level for the most part. I can get by with 30 to 40 watts now days if I was playing similar gigs.

One thing I learned is to not stand in front of the bass drum or the bass amp. I had to stand to the side as the low frequencies bothered my ear drums and I could feel the vibrations. At my home gig parties I now mic and/or send everything to the PA. I have never used IEM's yet, but I'm sure you have to watch those volume levels much the same as when using headphones. I do have to have good monitors so I can hear myself and the rest of the guys! I wish we had better equipment back in the day, but protecting your ears is paramount as far as stage volumes go IMHO. cool

Edited by Larryz (06/29/17 10:00 AM)

#2863778 - 06/30/17 04:51 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Larryz]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The closest I ever came to killing a fellow musician was onstage with this bass player whose amp speaker was right in my ear! I asked him to turn down "just a little, please" and he smirked, did so, and then turned the $*#)(@* up as soon as my back was turned!!
Luckily, I didn't kill him, and he has since mellowed out a lot, LOL.
I still think that in a lot of situations, the bass is WAY too loud. Just yesterday walking past a store where they were playing Latin music, the bass could have been turned down 50% and still be heard perfectly fine - no one's saying the bass should be buried in the mix, especially in dance music. It should be clearly heard in the room. But why does it need to heard in the NEXT COUNTY???
And yes, in jazz ensembles, it's a good thing for the upright bass to be miked or amplified enough to be audible.

#2863781 - 06/30/17 05:06 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Eric Iverson]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've usually heard the "way too loud" issue with drummers who feel they NEED to hit their cymbals hard enough to both put DENTS in them AND burst everyone's eardrums. I've even seen some drummers raise their arms as high as they could and stand UP a little before crashing down on their cymbals!

OW!
Whitefang

#2863799 - 06/30/17 08:22 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite

And even if it was, the PA and monitors or IEM's would provide a lot of the needed 'horsepower', with mics and direct-sends for your amp and cab; stacks of 100- or 200-watt tube-amps are generally just not necessary.

Engineer Tom Dowd has said that the big challenge in recording the Disraeli Gears album was that Jack Bruce & Eric Clapton were playing 100 watt Marshall twin stacks in the studio. Dimed.

#2863803 - 06/30/17 08:33 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Scott Fraser]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm not technically astute enough to understand a lot of this. But I DO remember in the liner notes of "Second Winter" Johhny Winter said it was "recorded as loud as technically possible".
Whitefang

#2863807 - 06/30/17 09:08 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm not technically astute enough to understand a lot of this. But I DO remember in the liner notes of "Second Winter" Johhny Winter said it was "recorded as loud as technically possible".
Whitefang

And wasn't there a Stones album in the 70's bearing the quote: "Made loud to be played loud."

#2863823 - 06/30/17 11:11 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Scott Fraser]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That slogan was on many albs.

Yeah, lotsa bands recorded at high levels (can y'say Jimi Hendrix ?) or with gear set to stun.
Bill Harkleroad, aka Zoot Horn Rollo, of Capt Beefheart's main bands, says Zappa (w/ asst eng Dick Kunk) started their sessions for TROUTMASK REPLICA by walking along the amp line & rolling every knob to max.

#2863853 - 06/30/17 03:33 PM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Eric Iverson]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

And yes, in jazz ensembles, it's a good thing for the upright bass to be miked or amplified enough to be audible.

+1 I have heard some very talented upright jazz bass players that you have to be up front in order to hear them...I love it when the bass player can be easily heard in the mix, while not blowing our doors off! The only loud bass that makes sense (and I'm not talking overdoing it) are the reggae players as they make the genre happen IMHO... cool

#2863893 - 07/01/17 04:40 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: d]
MP Hall of Fame Member

That slogan was on many albs.

Yeah, lotsa bands recorded at high levels (can y'say Jimi Hendrix) or with gear set to stun.
Bill Harkleroad, aka Zoot Horn Rollo, of Capt Beefheart's main bands, says Zappa (w/ asst eng Dick Kunk) started their sessions for TROUTMASK REPLICA by walking along the amp line & rolling every knob to max.

And wasn't it rumored that BLUE CHEER was SO loud they had to be recorded OUTDOORS? crazy
Whitefang

#2863923 - 07/01/17 06:57 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: whitefang]
JuJu Kwan Offline

Loc: Shenzhen, China
Sometimes I practice unplugged, but most of the time I use headphones. I like to experiment with the different pickup combinations and I can't do that unplugged.

#2863926 - 07/01/17 07:23 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: JuJu Kwan]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Good point

#2863954 - 07/01/17 10:19 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And wasn't it rumored that BLUE CHEER was SO loud they had to be recorded OUTDOORS? crazy
Whitefang

Another great apocryphal Blue Cheer story tells of a dog walking across in front of the stage when Blue Cheer hit the downbeat, keeling over dead from the SPL.

#2865059 - 07/07/17 09:27 AM Re: Practicing Too Loudly [Re: Scott Fraser]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Were Blue Cheer sued for canine homicide [canicide??] by the ASPCA?
I've also heard of pigeons being killed when they flew too close to the speakers of assorted rock bands......
Too many )(#*$)* pigeons anyway, IMHO.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose