Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2927398 - 05/16/18 05:24 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Dave Bryce]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
The D especially.

Agreed. They're like a swarm of angry bees.

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

KC Island
#2927526 - 05/17/18 11:21 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about! The Rockets are supposed to look like *that.* Even if they lost playing like that, then that's (mostly) fine. Sometimes shootouts go until there's one left standing.

Hopefully Curry and CP3 are fine and the series will be two healthy teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2927674 - 05/18/18 08:10 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: timwat]
kpl1228 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Originally Posted By: timwat
And even here, LBJ doesn't look like he'll be able to carry the Cavs all the way to the Finals, much less to hoisting the trophy. And quite frankly, this is a prison of his own making and the natural end and conclusion to what the Lebron as offense, coach and focal point of the universe inevitably points to.

+1. He truly is the de facto GM. As big as Jordan got, and as much as the ego clashed with the coach (Collins), LeBron has taken it to a whole new level of manipulation and control to make the star happy.
As much as I respect his talent and love the Cavs, it'll probably be best to just let him go. It's just become an abusive relationship at this point.
One of the few things that turn me into a grouchy old man is the current NBA. Traveling, loss of the game in the paint and the loss of the power of the big man, superteams, whining, the lust for the three-pointer... it just keeps getting more annoying.
(Go Browns)

Edited by kpl1228 (05/18/18 08:10 AM)

#2927933 - 05/19/18 01:03 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: kpl1228]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Originally Posted By: kpl1228
loss of the game in the paint and the loss of the power of the big man,
A friend of mine and I were discussing the future of the NFL and we wondered how many big kids who would have ended up in football might end up in the NBA and soccer. If parents say no to football, the other sports may find that as an opportunity. idk

In other news, The Warriors And Rockets Have Reinvented Modern NBA Defense. Yes, Defense.

#2928041 - 05/20/18 03:56 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: kpl1228]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: kpl1228
And even here, LBJ doesn't look like he'll be able to carry the Cavs all the way to the Finals, much less to hoisting the trophy. And quite frankly, this is a prison of his own making and the natural end and conclusion to what the Lebron as offense, coach and focal point of the universe inevitably points to.

+1. He truly is the de facto GM. As big as Jordan got, and as much as the ego clashed with the coach (Collins), LeBron has taken it to a whole new level of manipulation and control to make the star happy.
As much as I respect his talent and love the Cavs, it'll probably be best to just let him go. It's just become an abusive relationship at this point.
One of the few things that turn me into a grouchy old man is the current NBA. Traveling, loss of the game in the paint and the loss of the power of the big man, superteams, whining, the lust for the three-pointer... it just keeps getting more annoying.
(Go Browns)

I don't understand the opinions of the ESPN talk show crew. They all talk about how Lebron makes all the personnel decisions. And they all talk about how bad a job management has done putting talent around Lebron. He has been his own worst enemy. He made all the decisions that left Cleveland with no good players and nothing to trade.

#2928173 - 05/20/18 07:58 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: RABid]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
41 points.

#2928175 - 05/20/18 08:09 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: timwat]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
41 points.

biggest playoff differential ever? idk

Quite simply - If you can't play Jump on it, you don't want it.
MojoGuyPan

The Voyager is a Minimoog.
Bob Moog

#2928189 - 05/20/18 10:35 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
As we say up here, ayoye.

#2928224 - 05/21/18 05:28 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

The first part of that game was how I expected the series to go. Why the Rockets weren't dropping their shots after that I don't know. frown

I don't mind it going back and forth, but at that rate, the Warriors will hit 4 wins before the Rockets. Oops.

#2928505 - 05/22/18 09:56 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Dave Bryce]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
If the Cavs can find a way to win one in Cleveland - and I'm not even sure that's gonna happen - then I'm thinking it'll be Boston in five.

I hope I'm wrong. I am not a Celtics fan.

This is why I do not gamble much $ on sports. facepalm

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNationSoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Cloud MicrophonesCrumar/GSielysiaReverb FoundryRoswell Pro Audio

#2928533 - 05/22/18 10:59 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Dave Bryce]
RABid Offline
10k Club

The series has gotten interesting, and Lebron has shown that he really is the best player in the NBA, no matter who gets the MVP.

#2928534 - 05/22/18 11:20 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Dave Bryce]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

If the Cavs can find a way to win one in Cleveland - and I'm not even sure that's gonna happen - then I'm thinking it'll be Boston in five.

dB

On the other hand, that unpredictability is part of what makes sports so fun to watch. cool

Unfortunately, the NBA is the most predictable of any league that we Americans typically enjoy; and if we wind up with yet another Golden State/Cleveland Finals, the anticipation that many of us had that it might have turned out differently will have been just an illusion.

Best,

Geoff

#2928538 - 05/22/18 11:31 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: RABid]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: RABid
The series has gotten interesting, and Lebron has shown that he really is the best player in the NBA, no matter who gets the MVP.

I can't see how any rational person doesn't vote LeBron for MVP.

Even the other candidates (some with delusional levels of ego) have to acknowledge what he is doing right now is on a higher level than anyone else in the league.

#2928567 - 05/22/18 12:49 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
Originally Posted By: Geoff Grace

dB

On the other hand, that unpredictability is part of what makes sports so fun to watch. cool

Unfortunately, the NBA is the most predictable of any league that we Americans typically enjoy; and if we wind up with yet another Golden State/Cleveland Finals, the anticipation that many of us had that it might have turned out differently will have been just an illusion.

Best,

Geoff

So far this series is TOTALLY predictable......role players play way better at home, and Boston has been havig a hard time winning on the road. Thing is, if it plays out to game 7, then you have to like the Cavs chances to win ONE game with the best player in the world living in their locker room. If Boston had its two best guys I think they would be looking to clinch this thing in the next game (if it wasn't over already) but that's the way it goes......

Edited by area51recording (05/22/18 12:51 PM)

#2928646 - 05/22/18 09:00 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: area51recording]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

Wow! 2-2 heading back to Houston.

Best,

Geoff

#2928648 - 05/22/18 09:08 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: timwat]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
I've been told more than once:

A series doesn't really start until a team loses a home game.

we now have a series. thu

Quite simply - If you can't play Jump on it, you don't want it.
MojoGuyPan

The Voyager is a Minimoog.
Bob Moog

#2928650 - 05/22/18 09:22 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: davedoerfler]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

What a game.

I dunno about you, but I kind of expected Harden passing up that open three in the first to come back and bite him. Chris Paul looked fired up at the end there.

#2928687 - 05/23/18 03:28 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Like I said earlier, I think that game was what we expected this series to look like. My poor wife was really stressed at the end. She didn't even realize the game "ended" until I said "yes!" and she was so relieved, only to find out it really wasn't over. I teased her and said, "wouldn't it be funny if he made one free throw, the Warriors inbound it and make the three to tie it?"

I'm kinda mean that way. evil

I am glad the series is rebalanced. The Rockets are great when they play with "force." I hope they do two more times, at least.

BTW, why is D'Antoni's rotation down to like, seven guys? I know some guys are only going to get garbage time, but Nene played all season when he was healthy.

#2928767 - 05/23/18 09:20 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Joe Muscara]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I had to listen on the radio as I was driving home from lecture. Frustrating and disappointing. An embarrassment of riches squandered, at least for one quarter (and one game as a result).

I'm sure there's quite a few dubs fans still in a little shock, as there was quite a bit of expectation for the fairy-tale ending.

But this really becomes a test of their mettle - they've made this kind of mistake before, and know what that movie ending feels like. i'm quite interested to see if our dubs get their focus and attention back.

They've already won big, and won in Houston, which would seem to me to make it very much obvious (IMHO) that the series is primarily the dubs to lose.

My guess is they will face a more fired up version than if last night had been a blowout (either way).

#2928771 - 05/23/18 09:30 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: timwat]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

It's funny you say that, Tim. I feel like last night's game was what we expected from this series, a horse race that when both teams are playing their best, it might just be a little luck that results in who is leading when the clock runs out. IOW, I'm not sure the Warriors did anything wrong. Both teams did well and poorly at some points of the game. Also, like the link I provided previously, both teams played defense, which I think the relatively low score shows. That was pretty cool to see, actually. Just think of it, two high-scoring teams playing D and overall keeping the score down.

#2928777 - 05/23/18 09:48 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Joe Muscara]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Joe - I think my perspective comes from the belief that the dubs have made a habit of coasting...simply because they can, and get away with it with style. They've done it for entire seasons at a time (multiple), as well as entire first rounds of playoffs.

They do because they can. Curry injured? Yawn. Poor first half? Yawn. And so many times, because of the loaded deck they have (and, I believe, the strategic superiority of the team-first system), it still results in a lopsided blowout.

For at least our side of the ball, it seemed apparent to me that after the typical 3rd quarter surge, we just got distracted by our own bright shiny objects. And didn't keep our foot on the neck. Because we've gotten used to not having to...not just during the regular season, just look at Game 3.

Again, I do believe when the dubs are at their best, there isn't another team currently in contention (or the league) that is really built to beat us. Respectfully, I do not believe the Rockets are fundamentally built to beat us (just look at the last 3 games). I believe what's built to beat the dubs is...the dubs.

And that's a cliffhanger for dubs fans. We'll see what they bring Game 5. More shall be revealed.

#2928779 - 05/23/18 10:04 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: timwat]
zephonic Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
Tim, I know what you mean and don’t necessarily disagree, but I think the Rockets’ defense in Q4 yesterday really shut the Dubs down. I mean, you rarely see them miss that many shots, or take that many wild ones.

Houston knew they had to win one away, and they did. Defeating GSW at home is no mean feat, and they earned it. I don’t think it was just because the Dubs were coasting.

#2928781 - 05/23/18 10:13 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: zephonic]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That may be - again, I'm at the disadvantage of not seeing Q4, only hearing on the radio.

At the same time, I don't think if they had their head all the way in at the start of Q4 that Houston's defense is so stifling as to negate a great offense entirely. Sure every great team these days can go on a run...and go cold.

But we have the offensive system and horsepower to overcome any defense. What I heard last night was a team that took their eyes off the gold ring for 7 minutes of the game, and I think it's because they thought 10 point lead was sufficient to start celebrating.

Maybe we're all correct. But like I said, I wasn't able to watch q4 at all.

#2928809 - 05/23/18 11:24 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: zephonic]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: zephonic
Tim, I know what you mean and don’t necessarily disagree, but I think the Rockets’ defense in Q4 yesterday really shut the Dubs down. I mean, you rarely see them miss that many shots, or take that many wild ones.

I fully agree with Menno. Houston had the fire on D in a big way. Tim - you had to see the look in the eyes of some of these guys - laser focused, way lit. Chris Paul stood out in that respect for me.

2 x best of three now. cool

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNationSoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Cloud MicrophonesCrumar/GSielysiaReverb FoundryRoswell Pro Audio

#2928820 - 05/23/18 12:10 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Dave Bryce]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Tim, if you look back in this thread, we've said some of the same things about the Rockets. They are a great team, and have lots of firepower. Yet they've coasted a bit in these playoffs. My wife keeps saying if the Rockets from a few months ago "showed up," they'd be blowing everyone out. I think that's mostly true. The games and quarters where the Rockets haven't dominated, they didn't look like that team. At best, they looked like a team. A good team perhaps, but not the team that went 65 - 17, had great winning streaks, etc. It has felt like in the playoffs and the latter part of the regular season they've coasted a bit.

It's like the Warriors and the Rockets are two napping giants, and the series will go to the one that wakes up and stays awake until they win.

#2928823 - 05/23/18 12:12 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Dave Bryce]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

2 x best of three now. cool
Yeah, really. I'm kind of hoping for it to stay tight in these two series and the Finals, though if the Rockets don't win, I don't think Lori will want to watch...

#2929048 - 05/24/18 11:52 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Joe Muscara]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

Will LeBron's NBA Finals streak end at seven?

Celtics push Cavs to the brink as Tatum, defense spark Game 5 rout

Best,

Geoff

#2929062 - 05/24/18 12:14 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
Originally Posted By: Geoff Grace
Will LeBron's NBA Finals streak end at seven?

Celtics push Cavs to the brink as Tatum, defense spark Game 5 rout

Best,

Geoff

I think game 6 is THE game. Obviously if the Celts win it's a done deal, but if home cookin' prevails and the the Cavs take it I'd be hard pressed to bet against Lebron in game 7, the Celts stellar performances at home to date not withstanding.....

#2929079 - 05/24/18 01:30 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Joe Muscara]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
Tim, if you look back in this thread, we've said some of the same things about the Rockets. They are a great team, and have lots of firepower. Yet they've coasted a bit in these playoffs. My wife keeps saying if the Rockets from a few months ago "showed up," they'd be blowing everyone out. I think that's mostly true. The games and quarters where the Rockets haven't dominated, they didn't look like that team. At best, they looked like a team. A good team perhaps, but not the team that went 65 - 17, had great winning streaks, etc. It has felt like in the playoffs and the latter part of the regular season they've coasted a bit.

It's like the Warriors and the Rockets are two napping giants, and the series will go to the one that wakes up and stays awake until they win.

Joe that all makes sense.

Sadly, my head is sort of not in it right now. Yesterday was one of the worst days in my professional life I have experienced in maybe 5 years. I'm not even in the mood to watch the game tonight, perhaps as the day goes on my head will turn around.

#2929103 - 05/24/18 03:01 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: timwat]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Best wishes Tim. You can ride the waves with the best of 'em.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner