Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#2925796 - 05/07/18 07:36 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Dave Bryce]
KenElevenShadows Offline
10k Club

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
Originally Posted By: KenElevenShadows
Golden State looked very "normal" this evening.

Indeed. And Houston looked like the scary team folks have been expecting to see. eek

GS roared back as you knew they would. The GS/Houston series is going to be a LOT of fun.

As much as this pains me to say, I cannot believe how well the Celtics are playing while not having two of their star players.

KC Island
#2925797 - 05/07/18 07:43 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: KenElevenShadows]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
this long-time dubs fan is confident that as the level of adversity increases, so will the dubs' focus and resolve. this present incarnation has the bad habit of getting lackadaisical and sloppy when someone isn't trying to punch them in the mouth.

#2925802 - 05/07/18 07:59 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: timwat]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Sad ending to an amazing year for the Raps.

#2925969 - 05/08/18 11:54 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Joe Muscara Online   content
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: timwat
this long-time dubs fan is confident that as the level of adversity increases, so will the dubs' focus and resolve. this present incarnation has the bad habit of getting lackadaisical and sloppy when someone isn't trying to punch them in the mouth.
I know another team that's been doing something similar. It should be interesting when they get together for the Western Conference Finals!

Originally Posted By: MAJUSCULE
Sad ending to an amazing year for the Raps.

I was bummed to see Toronto not put up a better fight. Lebron/the Cavs have really turned it on. Lebron, really.

#2925970 - 05/08/18 12:02 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Joe Muscara]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

LeBron is certainly raising his status in GOAT conversations.

Although carrying a mediocre team on your back didn't ultimately help John Elway, as he's rarely mentioned in NFL GOAT quarterback conversations now.

I guess time will tell...

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

#2926133 - 05/09/18 08:19 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Why has Harden been "slumping"? [that is, not playing to the level we would expect]

“The performance Chris put out there,” Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni said. “If he didn’t make it to the conference final this year, something is wrong. James (Harden) was under the weather. He was hurting. That (made it) even more important to get this over with. Chris stepped up and did it.'

“I know for sure he didn’t want to go back to Utah,” said Rockets forward Luc Mbah a Moute, a Clippers teammate Paul recruited to join him in Houston. “Knowing he’s gone through losing a series after being up 3-1, you could tell. Especially with James not feeling good, you could tell he was playing with a chip on his shoulder."

I've seen Harden do this before. He sometimes gets "under the weather" and doesn't play like his usual MVP self. Hopefully he'll be back to full strength by Monday's game against the Warriors. But it was nice to have another all-star to fall back on. CP3 did much of the work the last two games.

How about that Donovan Mitchell? It's too bad he went out late in the game, but he appears to have a great career in front of him. He didn't play like no rookie. thu

It's nice to be able to say...

#2926170 - 05/09/18 10:34 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Joe Muscara]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
I may be "mis remembering", but it seems to me like Harden is one of those guys whose productivity seems to drop a few notches come playoff time as a rule....

#2926171 - 05/09/18 10:40 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: area51recording]
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

That has happened, but deepening the team especially with another PG like CP3 was supposed to fix that. He was able to not play as many minutes in the regular season because of the additions.

We will see next week how he does.

#2926173 - 05/09/18 10:48 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Joe Muscara]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
As an aside, I watched The Carter Effect on Netflix last night. Very cool one-hour documentary from last year about Vince's effect on basketball in Canada. Might not mean as much to y'all, but it struck a chord with me. I was never a huge basketball fan growing up, but Vince was basketball in Canada. Period. Steve Nash winning MVPs was huge too, but Air Canada/Vinsanity was what got kids like Wiggins, Thompson, Olynyk, Stauskas, Murray et al believing they could get to the next level. Seeing Vince play a game with the Grizzlies last year in NOLA was totally a bucket list moment for me. Recommended (hopefully it's on American Netflix too haha).

#2926187 - 05/09/18 11:57 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Joe Muscara]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
That has happened, but deepening the team especially with another PG like CP3 was supposed to fix that. He was able to not play as many minutes in the regular season because of the additions.

We will see next week how he does.

These über-athletes are still (somewhat) human, subject to fatigue and injury and the vagaries of age. Doubtless the adrenaline of finally getting what you want (conference finals vs. dubs) will fuel Game 1 for Houston. One wonders if carrying the burden will eventually wear upon JH and CP3 over the course of the entire series. As the Chinese proverb says, the only thing worse than not getting what you always wanted...is getting what you always wanted.

One of the luxuries of this dubs incarnation is the embarrassment of riches that allows "only human" to rest and recover (steph goes out, the team continues winning) compared to other teams (boogie, kyrie, rubio, mitchell, the list goes on).

Next week will be the real Finals either way. I still like our boys chances vs. Houston. And I believe whoever wins west will end up facing LeBron.

And I believe whoever faces LeBron will face our present GOAT candidate...who will be feeling the fatigue and consequences of mortality, as he has in previous Finals appearances.

Right now, I think dubs repeat, mainly because after all the possible matchups there isn't anybody left who's going to shut Durant down, if he shows up consistently.

#2926230 - 05/09/18 02:56 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: timwat]
KenElevenShadows Offline
10k Club

I believe I would still favor the Warriors to take it all as well, but this year, it's hardly a gimme.

#2926507 - 05/11/18 05:38 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: KenElevenShadows]
RABid Online   content
10k Club

Is Simmons the next Mello?

#2926551 - 05/11/18 10:06 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: RABid]
Dave Bryce Administrator Offline
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Loc: Thousand Oaks,CA,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: RABid
Is Simmons the next Mello?

If he doesn't learn how to put the ball in the hole, maybe. idk

Would kinda like to see Philly trade him to SA for Kawhi.

dB

rockit ==> ReverbNationSoundCloud <==rawk

Professional affiliations: Cloud MicrophonesCrumar/GSielysiaReverb FoundryRoswell Pro Audio

#2926596 - 05/11/18 03:41 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Dave Bryce]
RABid Online   content
10k Club

I watched him a bunch as LSU. National announcers constantly criticized his teammates for being awful, but SEC schools like LSU don't recruit awful players. They never made the NCAA tournament with the "best" player in the nation. The next year after he went to the NBA those same players were suddenly much better. I'm seeing hints of the same thing at Philly. Of course the players are much better, but he does not seem to be doing anything to make them even better.

#2926814 - 05/13/18 01:47 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: RABid]
KenElevenShadows Offline
10k Club

It feels so wrong to root for the Celtics.

#2926842 - 05/13/18 05:17 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: KenElevenShadows]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
Originally Posted By: KenElevenShadows
It feels so wrong to root for the Celtics.

lol, I know what you mean!

It’s a team I have always disliked, but the way they have been defying the odds these playoffs is truly inspiring.

#2926845 - 05/13/18 05:35 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: zephonic]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

A lot of it is their defense, I think. It's amazing - these guys constantly attack/smother whoever has the ball. Really tough to get any sort of rhythm going against them....and they don't let up on it, either. idk

I noticed it in the Philly series, saw the same thing today.

dB

Professional affiliations: Cloud MicrophonesCrumar/GSielysiaReverb FoundryRoswell Pro Audio

#2926885 - 05/14/18 04:11 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Dave Bryce]
RABid Online   content
10k Club

They play defense like a good college team.

#2926983 - 05/14/18 12:52 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: RABid]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

The Celtics are a well. Coached. TEAM. I think the strategy of running a bunch of guys at Lebron is the best call, but then you have to have the guys at your disposal to execute that strategy. Even if the Cavs prevail, this has the makings of a long series, if the C's can play with the necessary discipline.....

#2927052 - 05/14/18 08:39 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: area51recording]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I thought Rockets would win game one at home. I guess not! They started strong, but ran out of steam in Q4.

Dubs were very efficient tonight; Houston will need to bring something extra for game 2.

#2927223 - 05/15/18 06:48 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: zephonic]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

Finally, the Suns catch a break:

Suns grab No. 1 overall pick, with Kings, Hawks to pick 2nd, 3rd

This was the first time in franchise history that Phoenix won the lottery. Let's hope they draft well with their pick.

Best,

Geoff

#2927240 - 05/15/18 08:56 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
Geoff Grace Offline
10k Club

Celtics rally in second half to take 2-0 lead despite LeBron's triple-double

I've learned not to count LeBron out, but this looks pretty serious.

Best,

Geoff

#2927244 - 05/15/18 09:27 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Geoff Grace]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've been told more than once:

A series doesn't really start until a team loses a home game.

#2927248 - 05/15/18 10:51 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: timwat]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Tough game, after halftime Celtics masterfully stopped the Cavs from finding their rhythm.

I had this series pegged at Cleveland wins in seven. Not so sure now.

#2927320 - 05/16/18 08:38 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: zephonic]
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

I like the Rockets' (over)confidence. Even on Tuesday, D'Antoni, Harden, etc. were being asked about how they played and shouldn't they play differently now. I think D'Antoni said something like, "have you watched us for 82 games? That's how we play."

Tonight should be interesting.

And wow, how about those Celts? Maybe we will have a Rockets/Celtics finals rematch. It's overdue. smile

#2927334 - 05/16/18 09:46 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: zephonic]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

Originally Posted By: zephonic
Tough game, after halftime Celtics masterfully stopped the Cavs from finding their rhythm.

Oh, hell no.

If the Cavs can find a way to win one in Cleveland - and I'm not even sure that's gonna happen - then I'm thinking it'll be Boston in five.

I hope I'm wrong. I am not a Celtics fan.

dB

#2927354 - 05/16/18 11:27 AM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: Dave Bryce]
zephonic Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
Originally Posted By: zephonic

Oh, hell no.

If the Cavs can find a way to win one in Cleveland - and I'm not even sure that's gonna happen - then I'm thinking it'll be Boston in five.

I hope I'm wrong. I am not a Celtics fan.

Can’t disagree with that. My prediction was made before Game 1. Although I still think it could go to Game 7, I wouldn’t bet on the Cavs taking it.

I never liked the Celtics either, but the way they have been kicking butt in the playoffs without Kyrie and Hayward, I can’t help but admire them.

#2927362 - 05/16/18 12:31 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: zephonic]
timwat Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

In some ways it seems to me both the west and east conference series look like referendums on post-Jordan basketball.

What I mean: the outsized egos and natural obsession with superstars and "who's the next MJ?" has inevitably lead to this:

LBJ > Cavs
Harden > Rockets (and, mind you, d'Antoni's decades of convictions about system)

The plucky Celtics appear to be the far better team. The Warriors appear (to me) to be the better team than Houston.

But I would not say Durant > Warriors, Curry, Green or Thompson > Warriors. And I don't even know who is now supposed to be the dominant player for Boston now that their two are riding pine.

So it appears to me the two conference series play out to confirm the old adage that team > superstar.

Celtics > LBJ
Warriors > beard (+ CP3)

Maybe too simplistic. But what strikes me is that post-Jordan, we have the most extreme example of the next possible heir apparent to carry a team on his lonely shoulders. And even here, LBJ doesn't look like he'll be able to carry the Cavs all the way to the Finals, much less to hoisting the trophy. And quite frankly, this is a prison of his own making and the natural end and conclusion to what the Lebron as offense, coach and focal point of the universe inevitably points to.

Just my 0.02. Probably meaningless. Oh well off to my next meeting.

#2927372 - 05/16/18 02:01 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: timwat]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

I've been told more than once:

A series doesn't really start until a team loses a home game.

I think this has a lot of truth going for it. The Cavs role players will almost certainly play better at home. They'll HAVE to, because it's been shown that even with a great effort from Lebron the C's can prevail....I see them splitting the next 2 in Cleveland, leaving the Celts with an opportunity to wrap it up in Boston. If that happens we'll probably see Bron Bron out on the west coast next year.....

#2927375 - 05/16/18 02:17 PM Re: Official NBA 2017-2018 Thread [Re: timwat]
KCFFL Champ '14, '16
10k Club

I don't even know who is now supposed to be the dominant player for Boston now that their two are riding pine.

I think Horford is the one who's supposed to be holding the baton at the moment. Really hard to tell, though - last night, Marcus Smart was kind of the guy.

I so want to dislike this team...but MAN, I love teams that play basketball like this. The D especially.

dB

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner