Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland FA-07

If it's the Juno Stage action I'm gonna buy one. Best semi-weighted action I've played. I believe it was the same as the Fantom series but with small weights under the keys. Enough to make piano playable while keeping organ swipes smooth as butter. The weight comparison looks promising.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After looking at the online demoes of this I am starting to grow cautiously optimistic as well, as I would love to add a piece of Roland gear to my travel setup. Like some others here I just can't handle the keyboard action of either the VR-09 or the FA-06. Since the integrated organ engine can be controlled by a DB-1 or similar controller, I think that I will head over to Gearfest at Sweetwater this weekend to see if the Roland reps have an FA-07 available to demo so I can test the action.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

According to this thread, your wish may be granted...

http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=53730

I ordered one last week. Approx. $80. Shipping from Hong Kong. The guy made a limited run (I believe <100) some in color, some in black and white. I'll post a pic once I receive it.

The mentioned Myrk overlay is cool, but that was not the point of my link... if you look at what's posted there, it looks like--unlike the 06/08--the 07 may ship matte instead of glossy, and not need the overlay. (For people who may want more info about the overlay, it's at http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=53680 )

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Since the integrated organ engine can be controlled by a DB-1 or similar controller

just be aware that the DB1 is no longer in production... I'm not aware of any "similar" controller, as it needs to be able to send sysex, not merely MIDI CC. But maybe someone can suggest something...?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Since the integrated organ engine can be controlled by a DB-1 or similar controller

just be aware that the DB1 is no longer in production... I'm not aware of any "similar" controller, as it needs to be able to send sysex, not merely MIDI CC. But maybe someone can suggest something...?

Thanks, AnotherScott! Since my "day job" is as a TV broadcast engineer with extensive programming & systems configuration experience, the single most important parameter for me is "is it possible"? Once I know that, then I can determine an appropriate course of action in locating a solution.

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

According to this thread, your wish may be granted...

http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=53730

I ordered one last week. Approx. $80. Shipping from Hong Kong. The guy made a limited run (I believe <100) some in color, some in black and white. I'll post a pic once I receive it.

The mentioned Myrk overlay is cool, but that was not the point of my link... if you look at what's posted there, it looks like--unlike the 06/08--the 07 may ship matte instead of glossy, and not need the overlay. (For people who may want more info about the overlay, it's at http://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=53680 )

Not to be a downer..... when you find the actual Roland FA-06/07/08 page and compare the picture, all look the same with regards to the glossy finish, like I have on my FA-08

I guess we will just have to wait to see. It would be nice if they went with a more matte finish.

As far as that Myrk thing... I ordered one for my 08

Also, Firmware 2.0 is cool so far in the limited testing I have done since I downloaded it last night

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

doing the 2.0 update later today.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

doing the 2.0 update later today.

Will be interesting to compare notes.

I need to setup some outboard gear to test the new Master capabilities. That is the big one for me.

David

Not to be a downer..... when you find the actual Roland FA-06/07/08 page and compare the picture, all look the same with regards to the glossy finish, like I have on my FA-08

I guess we will just have to wait to see. It would be nice if they went with a more matte finish.

From the page I initially linked to...

Re: FA-07!?!

Post by Lunar » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:10 pm

The trick is look at the FA screen. On the pics I have seen of the FA07 with the glossy surface, the screen clearly shows either a 61 or 88 key "virtual" keyboard - same as FA06/08 display. The pics with the matted finish, like the one above, show 76 keys on the screen. I'm guessing it does have a non-reflective surface. I really hope so, because just breathing in the same room as the FA06 creates a thousand new little scratchy bits all over it.

Right now I have the FA sending program changes and controlling sounds on my Electro, but I have the patches lined up 1:1. The downside is if I have 15 patches with a piano or organ sounds, I use 15 patches in the Electro to duplicate what should be 2 patches. I'll be interested to see how it works with my full stack for the Floyd band. Right now I don't do any program changes from the FA for that, while the boards are midi'd together for control/layer purposes, I change each patch manually. I put it all in order for the show and scroll thru on each board.

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Looks as though the FA-07 is confirmed to appear at Gearfest this weekend :thu:... I'm looking forward to more information on the keys/action and cosmetics.

I was about to pull the trigger on an MOXF8 when this thing showed up... !

Here for the gear.

Looks as though the FA-07 is confirmed to appear at Gearfest this weekend :thu:... I'm looking forward to more information on the keys/action and cosmetics.

Oddly enough, so was I......great timing for Roland....bad timing for Yamaha. I will be checking this out at Gearfest this weekend as well....particularly the action!

Oddly enough, so was I......great timing for Roland....bad timing for Yamaha. I will be checking this out at Gearfest this weekend as well....particularly the action!

Hi, guys! I will waiting your impressions about action and size keys,!

My fantom x6 with 4 srx cards sounds and feels better than the jupitar 50 (which I owned and sold)to me. That's why I'm not too curious about the fa series since it's supposed to be lesser than the jp50. It may be just me.

Interesting. I have my Fantom X7 and Jupiter 50 side by side here, and they feel really similar? Almost identical, although the Fantom is older and has like a million miles on it.

From the page I initially linked to...

Re: FA-07!?!

Post by Lunar » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:10 pm

The trick is look at the FA screen. On the pics I have seen of the FA07 with the glossy surface, the screen clearly shows either a 61 or 88 key "virtual" keyboard - same as FA06/08 display. The pics with the matted finish, like the one above, show 76 keys on the screen. I'm guessing it does have a non-reflective surface. I really hope so, because just breathing in the same room as the FA06 creates a thousand new little scratchy bits all over it.

Yeah I did see that. I am still not convinced either way. Myrk, himself, chimed in and said if you look at Roland's videos, the 07 looks like it has that same glossy finish.

Hopefully we'll know at Gearfest.

Regardless, that wouldn't be a show stopper for me.

Given the new 2.0 OS, I am considering trading in the 08, and using it above my PX5S in my Mainstage rig.

Of course that's the GAS talking :) No need to change things up now that I finally got it all working....

David

I was telling my wife about the 07 yesterday, not because I wanted to buy one, but because of the 2.0 update. She immediately thought I was out to get a new board, and I said why would I buy the same board I already have just in a smaller format?

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Oddly enough, so was I......great timing for Roland....bad timing for Yamaha.

Hopefully the FA07 sells enough to help convince Yamaha that there would be a good market for a MOXF7.

Though I see the FA07 as potentially stealing more MOXF6 customers than MOXF8 customers. So Star_Guy and Drawback, what was leading you to the MOXF8 that now can potentially be better served by the FA07? Mostly the need for more than 61 keys in your rompler? Had you considered the Artis7?

The new preset Studio Sets show off the new capabilities nicely. The new Africa patch is fun. They've set it up so that you can play the solo with one hand. One note = melody and harmony note. Neat.

EDIT: Playing with it. Hot damn, the FA was good before but it's now the ultimate covers band keyboard. Being able to mix the sounds in a studio set in any combination up to 16 times within a single studio set is a life saver. Setups can get infinitely more complex now. Love = rekindled.

EDIT 2: This is going to simplify so many songs that we do. Can merge several studio sets into one. Hot damn.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

Oddly enough, so was I......great timing for Roland....bad timing for Yamaha.

Hopefully the FA07 sells enough to help convince Yamaha that there would be a good market for a MOXF7.

Though I see the FA07 as potentially stealing more MOXF6 customers than MOXF8 customers. So Star_Guy and Drawback, what was leading you to the MOXF8 that now can potentially be better served by the FA07? Mostly the need for more than 61 keys in your rompler? Had you considered the Artis7?

The need for more than 61 keys absolutely, but I'm also looking for a workstation with all the benefits both the MOXF8 and the FA08 offer for live stage, DAW integration, and articulation that the Artis7 doesn't offer. So I was prepared to go with the MOXF8 has a narrow edge sound-wise, is supposedly infinitely expandable :wink: though weighted keys would have been a compromise for sure. I also factored the lighter weight and narrower width of the Yamaha.

The FA07 offers the best of both worlds, it seems, until if and when an MOXF7 comes out to challenge it.

Here for the gear.

It was great to hear the FA could be used with drawbars...and disappointing there are none available!

What are the preset organ tones like on the FA series? Derived from the VK organ a la the VR-09?

Preset organ tones are the Roland SuperNatural tones, so yes, like the VR-09. Base organ tone is okay, Leslie sucks. No C/V, which is a shame. There's a video of the FA with a vent on youtube and it sounds pretty damn nice. The vent can make almost anything into a high-end sounding clone wheel.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I also factored the lighter weight and narrower width of the Yamaha.

Compared to what? If we're still talking about the Artis7, the Kurz is noticeably smaller and lighter. But your other points about DAW integration and articulations are well noted (and not things I've made use of in my own Yamaha use).

It was great to hear the FA could be used with drawbars...and disappointing there are none available!

What are the preset organ tones like on the FA series? Derived from the VK organ a la the VR-09?

One thing maybe you weren't clear about is that, even though there are no "live" drawbars, you can still go into the edit screen and create any drawbar organ registration you want. You just can't really manipulate on the fly. So "what the preset tones" are like is an arbitrary restriction, you can make them whatever you want. (Though beside the modeled "SuperNatural organ" with that level of control, there are also rompler-style organ presets, since the FA has the sounds of the XV-5080 and, via axial downloads, the SRX cards.)

Leslie sucks...There's a video of the FA with a vent on youtube and it sounds pretty damn nice. The vent can make almost anything into a high-end sounding clone wheel.

Yes, and on a tighter budget, the Electro-Harmonix Lester-K seems nice. What's cool about the FA is that you should be able to send the organ out the Sub Out, so you can leave the rotary pedal of your choice permanently engaged on the organ sound, and not worry about having to remember to switch it in and out when using organ vs. non-organ sounds. And unlike the panning method you'd have to do on many other low cost boards (if you can even do that, which you can't on the VR-09!), it leaves the Left and Right out jacks both available for stereo operation of your other sounds (or, with panning, for dual mono with other sonic separation, like send your LH bass out one side to a bass amp, and your other sounds out the other side).

Can you guys tell from the videos if they've swapped out the 06 action for something better?

This seems pretty much definitive, from Roland's press release:

The new FA-07 model features a 76-note velocity-sensitive keyboard thats semi-weighted, offering enhanced playing feel and expanded range for complex live setups with multiple splits and zones. The FA-07 complements the other instruments in the series, which includes the FA-08 and its 88-note Ivory Feel-G keyboard with weighted action, and the mobile FA-06 and its 61-note velocity-sensitive keyboard. Aside from their unique keyboard configurations, all FA instruments include the same sounds and features.

"enhanced playing feel and expanded range" -- compared to what? Presumably the FA-06. It also seems to specifically contrast the FA's "76-note velocity-sensitive keyboard thats semi-weighted" with both of the others in the series in both size and type, i.e. "the FA-08 and its 88-note Ivory Feel-G keyboard with weighted action, and the mobile FA-06 and its 61-note velocity-sensitive keyboard."

So I'd say it's a near-certainty that it's a different keyboard. Getting to your question, then, whether it's better remains to be seen (felt), but based on what many say about the 06, it seems unlikely it could be worse. ;-)

https://www.roland.com/us/company/press_releases/2017/ROLAND-ANNOUNCES-FA-07-MUSIC-WORKSTATION/

Leslie sucks...There's a video of the FA with a vent on youtube and it sounds pretty damn nice. The vent can make almost anything into a high-end sounding clone wheel.

Yes, and on a tighter budget, the Electro-Harmonix Lester-K seems nice. What's cool about the FA is that you should be able to send the organ out the Sub Out,

I do exactly this (or did before I used Mainstage last week)

I have the Lester K. My organ tones run out the sub out on the FA08. The sub out is a TRS jack, so I use a TRS in to 2 TS out "Y" cable and run in stereo into the Lester K then out to my mixer

Just make sure to go in to the menu on the FA's organ tones you use and shut off it's effects so that Lester does all the work.

David

I have the Lester K. My organ tones run out the sub out on the FA08. It is a TRS jack, so I use a TRS in to 2 TS out "Y" cable and run in stereo.

Just make sure to go in to the menu on the FA's organ tones you use and shut off it's effects so that Lester does all the work.

Once you turn off the FA's own rotary effect, the organ sound should be mono, so a simple guitar cable from that to the Lester K should be sufficient, as the Lester will generate the stereo rotary effect from the mono signal. AFAIK, the only reason you'd really care about a stereo in on the Lester K would be to be able to pass a stereo sound from the board when you are bypassing the rotary effect and playing some (non-organ) stereo sound... which is not a factor when you're sending the organ out its own dedicated jack. (In fact, I would assume that the Lester K is summing its input to Mono--or only using one of its input jacks--whenever its rotary effect is engaged. Rotary is a mono-in, stereo-out effect.)

Under Studio Set/Part View there is a Vibrato parameter. TFX section includes Reverb (Delay, Tape Echo), Chorus (Phaser, Flanger), Tremelo/Pan and Overdrive. The Vent also offers a drive section for Leslie tube saturation. There's enough to work with here, no?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Is it just me, or does the Roland U.S. video seem to show larger keys than on the 06?

Roland FA-07

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

After looking at the online demoes of this I am starting to grow cautiously optimistic as well, as I would love to add a piece of Roland gear to my travel setup. Like some others here I just can't handle the keyboard action of either the VR-09 or the FA-06. Since the integrated organ engine can be controlled by a DB-1 or similar controller, I think that I will head over to Gearfest at Sweetwater this weekend to see if the Roland reps have an FA-07 available to demo so I can test the action.

I can't wait to hear what you make of the key action! I parted with my FA-06 several months ago purely because of the keybed. If the FA-07's action is anything similar to the Jupiter-50, then it's a game changer for me. My back is too broken to lug the FA-08 around. :laugh: