Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#2872432 - 08/11/17 04:11 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: sosho]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: sosho
what kind of cable do you use ? in school those cables from ipod to stereo break every 10 min

It helps if you use a cable with a 90 degree end.

KC Island
#2872434 - 08/11/17 04:20 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: AnotherScott]
sosho Online   content

Loc: germany
makes sense, thank you

#2872435 - 08/11/17 04:25 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: AnotherScott]
Beethree Offline
Platinum Member

A privately written, superior to the official, manual can be found here:

http://sunshine-jones.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/A-Users-Guide-To-The-Roland-SE-02.pdf

The only thing bumming me out so far about the module is the 1/8 inch audio out....but I will get used to that. A keeper.

#2872801 - 08/14/17 06:44 AM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: count doerflera]
TomKittel Offline

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Just got my SE-02

Lucky you !

You are lucky fellows indeed! In Europe the SE02 will not be available until October.

#2872847 - 08/14/17 08:51 AM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: AnotherScott]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Originally Posted By: sosho
what kind of cable do you use ? in school those cables from ipod to stereo break every 10 min

It helps if you use a cable with a 90 degree end.

That is good. I also recommend braided cables. best things I have ever found for my iPhone and iPad cables. They just don't break or get kinked up.

I see you can now get the small audio cables that way now, as well. I get mine from Amazon.

#2878415 - 09/11/17 11:42 AM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: EscapeRocks]
JerryA Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England
Nick at Sonicstate has a full review of the Roland SE-2 now....

while Dan Fisher has an in depth demo of the Behringer Model D ...

I figured anyone who is interested in one of these modules would have more than a cursory interest in the other. It's an embarrassment of riches. thu

#2878423 - 09/11/17 12:29 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: JerryA]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Nashville, TN.
You really don't appreciate the power of the SE-02 until you program it and modulate the parameters in real time.
So many parameters like the XMods, Feedback and Oscillator Sync/Envelope that make the power swell. No need for volume as these multiplier/modifiers can add all the db you want.
My only beef is I had to adjust Trim on my mixers so I could control preset volume through MIDI.
I don't care for the bottom dropping out on Moog Ladder Filter.
So each really resonate Filter preset is max preset volume (CC# 115) then the bigger powerful sounds are level matched...

#2878429 - 09/11/17 12:50 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: JerryA]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Analog with extras for $500, that's probably going to have some success. I can't say I deeply loved the sound or am thrilled about yet another new analog, there's good stuff, I like analog, but I don't think I'll ever need it.

T.

#2879001 - 09/13/17 08:14 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: Theo Verelst]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Nashville, TN.
Well if you need punchy low end live you might.

I just finished racking up to be a sideman only (Thank God) and running the SE-02 through a Bellari 2.1 Sonic Tube Exciter.
This means my Sub (B1200D) gets 120 and lower, the Spacestation gets all freqs above 120.
Its basically the killer low end sound from the SE-1/SE-1X but with substantially more control and routings.

This sounds so big I should do a Gino Vanelli Medley from when brotha man Joe kicked left hand Moog Bass.
None of my VSTi synths got punch like that.

It's so good Im going to use 2 for duo poly where you can sustain the root and bounce the upper notes. Just avoid re triggering the envelope and you have an ARP Odyssey quality low end, but with an extra Oscillator as the 2600s had.

I'm still stoked after months of messing around.

#2879012 - 09/13/17 08:38 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: hardware]
Karl Schmeer Offline

Loc: State of Misery
Originally Posted By: hardware
Well if you need punchy low end live you might.

I just finished racking up to be a sideman only (Thank God) and running the SE-02 through a Bellari 2.1 Sonic Tube Exciter.
This means my Sub (B1200D) gets 120 and lower, the Spacestation gets all freqs above 120.
Its basically the killer low end sound from the SE-1/SE-1X but with substantially more control and routings.

This sounds so big I should do a Gino Vanelli Medley from when brotha man Joe kicked left hand Moog Bass.
None of my VSTi synths got punch like that.

It's so good Im going to use 2 for duo poly where you can sustain the root and bounce the upper notes. Just avoid re triggering the envelope and you have an ARP Odyssey quality low end, but with an extra Oscillator as the 2600s had.

I'm still stoked after months of messing around.

Yes, You are so right!! I have found it dominates any synth
sounds I have (analog or digital)in a mix. Even high tones!! Took it over to a power drummer friends house. The SE-02 is so thick, He could keep time with it's sequencer without cans or click track. Love this tone beast.

SE-02 With Live Drums

Edited by Karl Schmeer (09/13/17 09:13 PM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner