Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2861843 - 06/20/17 01:06 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: Dave Bryce]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: Dave Bryce
Originally Posted By: Markyboard
I'm holding out for Yamaha's version.
snax

It'll have sliders. poke idk

dB

Can't wait to read the user manual.
HeadPop

KC Island
#2861849 - 06/20/17 01:27 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: Markyboard]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

If one of them sounds close to a minimoog, 6 of them chained will not sound anything like a Memorymoog.

Good point, it could sound better. ;-)

#2861853 - 06/20/17 01:40 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: AnotherScott]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
If one of them sounds close to a minimoog, 6 of them chained will not sound anything like a Memorymoog.

Definitely. But it will never smell as toxic. sick

#2861856 - 06/20/17 02:00 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: _Maximus_]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: _Maximus_
I might be judging roland prematurely here but i think they missed an opportunity to feature their claim chained mode to do some memorymoog type sounds, perhaps it's not ready yet, but 6 of those things chained together would have made some wow factor in the video

One of the articles I read stated "can be daisy chained to other units for polyphonic possibilities."

#2861879 - 06/20/17 03:49 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: eric]
ksoper Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Murfreesboro,TN,UNITED STATES
"You got Studio Electronics on my Roland!"
"You got Roland on my Studio Electronics!"

Two great tastes that taste great together.

#2861898 - 06/20/17 06:04 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: AnotherScott]
RABid Offline
10k Club

And fewer tuning headaches.

#2861899 - 06/20/17 06:04 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: RABid]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Wonder if they will have one to show at Gearfest?

#2861995 - 06/21/17 07:34 AM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: RABid]
felix Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN
Originally Posted By: RABid
Wonder if they will have one to show at Gearfest?

The Roland representative says that yes, they will have both an SE-02 and an FA-07 on display at GearFest at Sweetwater.

#2861997 - 06/21/17 07:44 AM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: felix]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Las Vegas
Got mine, also snagged SpaceStation XL to further punish my Band mates.
XL will be demo'd this weekend @ Sweetwater (Musical Amazon).

Keep your eyes peeled for Spacestation vrs. 3 with Behringer Sub, with covers + shipping in classifieds above in August.
600 for both since they paid themselves off long ago.

Let someone else enjoy life

SE-02 with XL = Fat Bastards

#2862066 - 06/21/17 01:20 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: hardware]
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Washington DC
Speaking of Yamaha, wouldn't it be funny if the next Designer in Roland's Boutique Designer Series turned out to be the Deckard's Dream guy.

Roland Boutique DD-80, coming soon to a store near you.

#2862084 - 06/21/17 03:12 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: GovernorSilver]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Why did a company as successful and big as Roland need to partner with SE? Does Roland not have anybody left on their staff who knows how to design a real analog synth?

#2862088 - 06/21/17 03:30 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: The Real MC]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: The Real MC
Why did a company as successful and big as Roland need to partner with SE? Does Roland not have anybody left on their staff who knows how to design a real analog synth?

I actually find it refreshing that a big company doesn't succumb to NIH (not invented here) syndrome.

#2862147 - 06/21/17 10:07 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: The Real MC]
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Originally Posted By: The Real MC

No.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2862198 - 06/22/17 07:53 AM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: Markyboard]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area

#2862217 - 06/22/17 08:46 AM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: AnotherScott]
JerryA Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England
I actually find it refreshing that a big company doesn't succumb to NIH (not invented here) syndrome.

Props to them for being smart in their choice of a partner (SE) whose expertise in Moog-like synths is legendary.

Can we hope for a small format VCO polysynth based on the Omega 8? wink

#2862242 - 06/22/17 10:24 AM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: JerryA]
marino Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
Originally Posted By: JerryA
Can we hope for a small format VCO polysynth based on the Omega 8? wink

I would hope for something better: A 6-voice synth with the same voice channel, 3 oscs per voice. If this will cost $500, how much a poly could add? $2,000? Sounds right to me.

Btw it sounds definitely "SE" to my ears, which is close to Moog but not quite the same. Perhaps, more toward ATC territory than SE-1.

My SE-1 seems to refuse to hold calibration lately... this SE-02 is tempting, but I think I would miss the *four* envelopes (all complete ADSRs with selectable curves), the two-pole filter, the three LFOs, the ring mod, the stackable waveforms, the two-way osc sync, the 200 user memories with names, etc. smile On the other hand, this has built-in delay and a few cross-mod things.... but judging from the demos, I still prefer the sound of the SE-1. Yes, I'm old...

Edit - almost forgot: The Tiny Knobs Factor. Definitely too tiny. I'm afraid I would throw the SE-02 out of the window after a few tweaking sessions... grin

Edited by marino (06/22/17 10:27 AM)

#2862254 - 06/22/17 12:02 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: ElmerJFudd]
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd

I dig.

#2862274 - 06/22/17 02:19 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: GovernorSilver]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia, US
Nice to have an offering at this price point. Younger, poorer me would have been tempted, but older, wiser me would tell that person: save up for the Novation Peak.

#2862277 - 06/22/17 02:50 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: marino]
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: marino

Edit - almost forgot: The Tiny Knobs Factor. Definitely too tiny. I'm afraid I would throw the SE-02 out of the window after a few tweaking sessions... grin

Behringer's clone appears to have bigger knobs, but then again it's an explicit clone of the Model D, whereas Roland/SE have created something that is kind of Model D-like but not really.

#2862279 - 06/22/17 02:51 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: johnchop]
bennyray Offline
Gold Member

Loc: USA
[quote=johnchop]Nice to have an offering at this price point. Younger, poorer me would have been tempted, but older, wiser me would tell that person: save up for the Novation Peak.

Very true!

#2862400 - 06/23/17 09:31 AM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: GovernorSilver]
marino Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rome, Italy
Originally Posted By: GovernorSilver

Behringer's clone appears to have bigger knobs, but then again it's an explicit clone of the Model D, whereas Roland/SE have created something that is kind of Model D-like but not really.

Well, they are two separate things. Ok, the Behringer is an explicit clone and the Roland just "inspired by"; rolleyes Regardless, tiny knobs are tiny knobs.

#2862403 - 06/23/17 09:52 AM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: marino]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

The video below shows its parameters being controlled in real time from knobs on the attached controller, so it looks like the functions will be MIDI CC controllable, meaning you're not limited to the small on-board knobs, you could take the function you use most frequently in real-time performance and map them to more suitable knobs, using the rest mostly for "offline" patch creation.

#2862410 - 06/23/17 10:38 AM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: marino]
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, they are two separate things. Ok, the Behringer is an explicit clone and the Roland just "inspired by"; rolleyes Regardless, tiny knobs are tiny knobs.

I wasn't criticizing your opinion - I just happened to look up the Behringer clone out of curiosity and couldn't help but notice how much bigger the knobs are:

I anticipate "Buy Behringer or Roland SE-02?" threads in the near future, on all synth forums. I could see some going for the Behringer on the knob size alone. Others going for the SE-02 because of the SE reputation. Yet others going for it because it has a sequencer. And so on.

I guess SE was told by Roland to make the SE-02 the same size as the other Roland Boutique synths - that could have forced them to go with smaller knobs. I guess they could have gone with bigger knobs, but at a cost of less knobs overall on the panel and possibly more menu-diving for the user.

Edited by GovernorSilver (06/23/17 11:46 AM)

#2865160 - 07/07/17 12:40 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: GovernorSilver]
TomKittel Offline

Some of the SE02 YT demos sound pretty convincing. And it can easily be hidden from your wife if you can't resist GAS...

;-)

#2865163 - 07/07/17 12:45 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: GovernorSilver]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
I could see some going for the Behringer on the knob size alone.

You all understand that the Behringer is System 500 dimensions, right? The "bigger" knobs aren't much larger than the MIDI DIN jack, so while it's true that they are larger, I anticipate a lot of people being shocked when they see the Behringer in person.

snax

#2865170 - 07/07/17 12:55 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: Sven Golly]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Originally Posted By: Sven Golly

You all understand that the Behringer is System 500 dimensions, right? The "bigger" knobs aren't much larger than the MIDI DIN jack, so while it's true that they are larger, I anticipate a lot of people being shocked when they see the Behringer in person.

snax

Agreed. I had the Behringer on pre-order with SW when they announced the new $299 price point but canceled when I watched videos of people navigating the instrument. My take is the size of the knobs/switches is going to be similar. The Behringer has the advantage of more space between, but the SE-02 is feature rich. The Roland Boutique stuff is just too small for me. And, as I own the new Minimoog Model D I have no need for either one.

Busch.

#2865175 - 07/07/17 01:01 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: burningbusch]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Why are they making these things this small? As that really for saving costs on materials or is the market demanding this?

Stuff: Nord Electro 3, Casio PX5s, DSI Mopho keys, Nord Lead A1, Korg N5, Korg Poly 61, QSC K10 and a Shure SM58.

#2865181 - 07/07/17 01:26 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: RudyS]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: RudyS
Why are they making these things this small? As that really for saving costs on materials or is the market demanding this?

They just want to provoke the forum members. HeadPop

#2865182 - 07/07/17 01:39 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: Synthoid]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
Patch memory would be the reason for me to go for the SE. Plus the built in sequencer would be cool for some things I do. Probably worth the price difference. Plus I already have the Roland little keyboard dock for my JP module.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2865201 - 07/07/17 02:22 PM Re: Roland & SE boutique series analog [Re: Sven Golly]
GovernorSilver Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Sven Golly

snax

Well, I didn't know, but thanks for the info.

I have a couple of Korg Volcas. Being used to those knobs, the ones on the SE-02 and the Behringer all look relatively huge to me.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner