Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2861154 - 06/16/17 06:44 AM P bass rebuild
Maarkr Offline

Loc: Maine
I have an old Yamaha P-Bass that I'm rebuilding, nothing special. I'd like to soup it up with some newer style tone pots or pickups that will fit in the current body. Don't need to throw a bunch of money in it, just want to spice it up... or I could go with a frankenbass mod if it doesn't require too much.

Help me with recommendations? or should I just stick with the original equipment?

BP Island
#2861220 - 06/16/17 06:35 PM Re: P bass rebuild [Re: Maarkr]
Bottom End Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: VA
Stick with a budget, but built something you want to play. With a p-bass I'd keep it simple, the pickups will probably be the biggest factor.

I picked up some Fender P bass pickups for a very low price, I'll smack them into an aftermarket P-Body with a Maple neck.

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

#2861250 - 06/17/17 08:20 AM Re: P bass rebuild [Re: Bottom End]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
What points led you to decide on project ?
Was there a prob w/ the bas or just kinda bored ?
Is a change in sound yer focus ?
Sometimes just switching strings'll alter that.

#2861322 - 06/17/17 08:26 PM Re: P bass rebuild [Re: d]
Paul K Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ithaca, NY
Form or function? For function, focus on pickups and setup. After that, everything else is eye candy. Don't get me wrong: I loves me some eye candy. But other changes won't change a thing.

And if'n you heard one P-bass, you've heard them all. So it's all about form....eye candy. Paint it something purty: a funky color that's not in the normal tobacco sunburst palette, or some wood carver engraving. Or hit up one of those tattoo artists who do airbrush painting on the side, maybe. If they screw it up, you're only out the cost of a new or used dime-a-dozen body blank.

#2861461 - 06/19/17 06:52 AM Re: P bass rebuild [Re: Paul K]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Try at ToneStyler tone pot. Keeps the bass passive, but gives you a variety of preset resistances. And not too expensive. Eventually I'm thinking of putting one in my Schecter T5.

#2861759 - 06/20/17 08:35 AM Re: P bass rebuild [Re: Danzilla]
Maarkr Offline

Loc: Maine
info... it's a 80s? Yamaha RBX 260. I was nicked up and needed love so I stripped it and am painting it. I'm not a great stripper/painter so it's not going to anything glamorous. I'm thinking now I may just replace the old wiring and stay with the orig pickups, since the bass is nothing special. Now I just need to finish the painting, throw it together, put some decent strings on it and call it good. thanks