Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Herbie Hancock MasterClass

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait for this ...

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Awesome - thanks for posting!
Knabe baby grand, Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Wurlitzer 200A, Clavinet C, Minimoog Model D, Synthesizers.com modular, Sequential Prophet 6, GSI DMC-122 and Gemini module, Kurzweil PC3-X

I think even if you're just a fan of his, it would be worth it just for his stories and playing.

Has anyone preordered to get the early access?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've been telling myself I need to reintroduce myself to jazz. It's how I started playing, but I've generally been more interested in playing and listening to rock for a long time now. I don't think this will necessarily change that, but I know expanding my jazz knowledge will be a kick in the pants for all of my playing. Besides... $90 for 20 lessons from Herbie Hancock... yes please. I'd be an idiot not to.

Trying to decide between Herbie and Hans. If the price is right, maybe both.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Paid for mine. Has anyone started participating in their forums yet or doing the "assignment"?

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Paid for mine. Has anyone started participating in their forums yet or doing the "assignment"?

I'm a thousand miles away from home/keyboards at the moment but looking forward to participating in 2 weeks. :)

:nopity:

Wow, this looks absolutely incredible!

I think even if you're just a fan of his, it would be worth it just for his stories and playing.

I wholeheartedly agree! Worth watching even when not sat at the keys! ;)

Cheers,

James

x

ps. Are some of those YouTube commenters serious?!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I am following the Hans Zimmer master class; i find it really well done; it is not a lesson, it is master class where he tell his experience and explains his way of doing things. Really a lot to learn; ok, the guy is super, but in general the videos are very well done, good rhythm, great audio&video quality. I am having a lot of fun.

The only little problem is that you cannot download the video; considering that most of my learning time is during commuting by train, where i do not have a stable internet connection, this reduce my available time for the class; but this will not prevent me to enrol the HH class :->

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

Sheesh, 20+ lessons but no syllabus of what he's going to cover? What's the target skill level? Well at least we know they'll provide,

"10+ original piano transcriptions, including 5 exclusive solo performances."

But I agree, seeing a great talk about his art and how he does what he does may be worth watching for many. Even if they can't accurately share what level he's going to be speaking to.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• 3 weeks later...
From the previews I have seen I get the impression I already know everything he is going to talk about in terms of jazz piano playing. I think it's going to be a very amiable almost self interview with Herbie Hancock in which he will tell his life story and demonstrates some of the changes his piano styles went through. I think he will tell us he relies heavily on his intuition, rather than systems of "craft" Surely fascinating viewpoints , but perhaps no new precedence in jazz piano playing because Herbie has already been analyzed heavily by jazz piano theorists (Levine, etc.)

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• 2 weeks later...
Decided to sign up for Herbie's MasterClass and,while I was at it, check out my instructor, since he will be in town next month. August 17th in Mesa, AZ (about 15 miles from my home). I look forward to both the show and the class.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

• 2 months later...

Yep, I've watched the first few, it's pretty cool. The book that comes with it is a nice reference to what he talks about as well. I prefer the one PDF that has all the lessons rather than the individual per lesson.

I especially liked it when Herbie said, "you don't want to sound like me, you want to sound like you!" I think he's wrong about that. ;)