Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DAMN. - Kendrick Lamar

What did you think? It's no To Pimp A Butterfly.

Agreed. I really like it, I've listened to it several times since. Obviously a little more conventional in its production. He really is one of the better lyricists around, though. He's earned his reputation. TPAB was an instant classic, and not just for the music. The timing of the message within society made it something that every artist dreams of. Tough to follow that up. But I do like DAMN. You?

DAMN. - Kendrick Lamar

Agreed. I really like it, I've listened to it several times since. Obviously a little more conventional in its production. He really is one of the better lyricists around, though. He's earned his reputation. TPAB was an instant classic, and not just for the music. The timing of the message within society made it something that every artist dreams of. Tough to follow that up. But I do like DAMN. You?

I just really gave it a first listening yesterday. I'm going to have to give it a couple more spins, I think. It hasn't grown on me yet.

Are you watching CNN Soundtracks? Kendrick gets some love in the first episode.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

DAMN. - Kendrick Lamar

I just really gave it a first listening yesterday. I'm going to have to give it a couple more spins, I think. It hasn't grown on me yet.

Are you watching CNN Soundtracks? Kendrick gets some love in the first episode.

I saw a comment from someone about Kendrick records always growing on you. I think that's true with every one of his releases, at least for me. And no, I don't know what that is. Don't see much CNN up north, and I don't have a TV where I am down here.

An old topic, but I found myself re-listening to the Progeny live Yes recordings last night. Ended up doing the following review on Amazon:

Call this 'The Revealing Science of an Unproduced Yes'.

Each player and vocal is positioned as it would be on stage. Jon Anderson and Alan White are center, Steve Howe guitar and vocal are left. Chris Squire bass and vocal are mid-right. Rick Wakeman is far right. Now you get to hear everything, and I mean everything that each person does. I'm a musician and I absolutely love it. It's like pulling a curtain away from the produced recordings and lets you hear what really went into it.

Some new things you might hear are Jon's vocal like a tiny but profound voice in a hurricane of sound. And Steve and Rick both sound at times like two flailing maniacs at opposite ends of the stage, playing in two different universes that somehow intersect at crucial times in the most amazing ways. Chris's bass doesn't so much 'hold everything together' as create a musical space where everything else can make sense. BTW, this is all good!

What you lose, and I think this will be up to individual taste, are what I think of as the 'softening' effects of the production on the studio albums. On the studio albums Jon's voice might be doubled or tripled to make it sound like it's coming from everything. And the group harmonies are always mixed to make it difficult to hear each of the three parts as distinct. They're panned together as a single 'group' sound. In the studio Steve's guitar licks between the vocals are often panned center, and Rick's harmonizing or answering keyboard lines are often panned to sit in the same place as the original guitar line. These are done, I imagine, to give Yes a more homogeneous tone, where the final work is a 'singular but complicated' musical idea.

The Progeny recordings leave out this 'softening production'. Instead of hearing One United Yes we hear five crazily talented musicians producing a joyful sound that must be made understandable by the active listener. If I want to play a Yes tune for someone who doesn't know Yes or isn't a musico, I'll play them the studio recordings. But if I'm drinking some Bourbon and branch with a musician friend, I'll have them take a listen to what I think of as "the Real" Yes.

• 3 weeks later...

Gorillaz - Humanz

Has anyone else noticed a distinct mid-period Thomas Dolby influence?

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

all kinda stuff but THIS MOMENT =

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTpt49GAIWM

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTpt49GAIWM

"shame on me / shame on you / shame on them / shame on us"

Stevie is just so incredible it's mind boggling, and looking at this, his playing/singing live is even more incredible than his recordings. It just blows me away when I hear a fantastic recording of someone, and then when I see them live it's even better.

Right now I can't stop listening to Marvin Sapp's 2015 album "You Shall Live". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Shall_Live

[video:youtube]m30hgYdoPpU

I understand this is not for everybody, but even if Gospel doesn't float your boat, you could still appreciate the arrangements, production, and the stellar musicianship.

Well, there it is, maybe the first time I have the impression I might have received an album exactly as it was intended by the artist for the first time in history, from HDTracks, the 44.1/24 version of "3-D The Catalogue (Compilation)" from, you guys guessed it: KRAFTWERK!

First time since my albums from around the end of the 70s I can put it on my best DAC straight, no changes, no EQ no special settings, straight into my pre-amp, to the 3 way multi amp set to normal balance, and there is that full, sharp sound from the quintessential pioneers of electronic music, no murky feeling, no terrible distortions, no painful stereo image, all good. At a more decent time it will be played louder, see if that is cool, too.

T.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The noise my mind is making over which keyboard to get which solves my issue that no one board

has a soulful Rhodes

organ

clean ac piano

I can't think of one. That is what I am hearing.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Aydin Esen ....

[video:youtube]

Small world, but I believe my brother was the person who recorded this on video at Ithaca College.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

• 2 weeks later...