Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2856164 - 05/19/17 12:58 PM String Gauge Suggestion
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I'm thinking to tune my Epiphone Emperor archtop down a whole step, possibly with a drop C low string, just to have a deeper, but not quite baritone voice. I normally play .010s, but I'm wondering if this detuning calls for a step up to .011s, which are normally too stiff for my lazy fingers. It's a 25.5" scale so it's a little on the stiff side anyway. Do you all think I'll be just fine sticking with my usual size or should I bulk up a bit so as not to be too floppy on this axe?
Thanks,

GP Island
#2856174 - 05/19/17 01:23 PM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Scott Fraser]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
I'm thinking to tune my Epiphone Emperor archtop down a whole step, possibly with a drop C low string, just to have a deeper, but not quite baritone voice. I normally play .010s, but I'm wondering if this detuning calls for a step up to .011s, which are normally too stiff for my lazy fingers. It's a 25.5" scale so it's a little on the stiff side anyway. Do you all think I'll be just fine sticking with my usual size or should I bulk up a bit so as not to be too floppy on this axe?
Thanks,

If I recall correctly, Scott, that's a humbucker-equipped electric archtop, not a full-on acoustic, and you play roundwounds on that axe, DR Pure Blues, right? Are they their .010" through .046" set?

I love their Pure Blues .011" - .050" sets on my Les Paul.

I've used custom mixed-gauge sets of those strings for Open-D tuning (on a Les Paul), D - A - D -F# - A - D, lo-to-hi, employing the heavier gauges .012" - .015" - .024" (w) - .028" - .038" - .052", respectively.

[Edited:] Tuned down a whole-step, I think that you would find the tension, feel, and tone of the .011" - .050" DR PB set to be delightful; though you might want to go to a .052" for that 6th/Low-C string. Try the .050" first.

I have found that too heavy a string on a guitar, even for down-tuning, can lose the inherent guitar character, the 'twang', and begin to sound too much like a poor example of a short-scale bass instead; a balance-point must be found.

Edited by Caevan O'Shite (05/20/17 05:04 AM)
Edit Reason: Clarification

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2856178 - 05/19/17 01:54 PM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
Thanks,

If I recall correctly, Scott, that's a humbucker-equipped electric archtop, not a full-on acoustic, and you play roundwounds on that axe, DR Pure Blues, right? Are they their .010" through .046" set?

Yup, it's a single floating mini-humbucker on an L5 size body. That's the DR set I put on just about everything, & I thank you for the recommendation on those.

Quote:
I love their Pure Blues .011" - .050" sets on my Les Paul.

I've used custom mixed-gauge sets of those strings for Open-D tuning (on a Les Paul), D - A - D -F# - A - D, lo-to-hi, employing the heavier gauges .012" - .015" - .024" (w) - .028" - .038" - .052", respectively.

I think that you would find the tension, feel, and tone of the .011" - .050" DR PB set to be delightful; though you might want to go to a .052" for that 6th/Low-C string. Try the .050" first.

I have found that too heavy a string on a guitar, even for down-tuning, can lose the inherent guitar character, the 'twang', and begin to sound too much like a poor example of a short-scale bass instead; a balance-point must be found.

Yes, there's a muddiness to close voicings in first position on a lot of baritones that I'd want to avoid. And that's partly why I want to explore the one step down world for a while. I'll give the .011s a try & see what the low C needs. I like the idea of having the same low C as a cello.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know.

#2856183 - 05/19/17 02:36 PM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Scott Fraser]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Added thought: I've been enjoying the feel of Flatwounds on my Epi DOT, in standard tuning. Flatwounds tend to have a slightly higher string tension than Roundwounds, IME, although they're not as 'bright' in tone. It may be worth trying a set of .011 Flats, to see how they sound and feel.

Keep in mind that most .011 string sets will have a .048 or a .050 for the 6th string, which I'm not sure will do for your purposes. FWIW, I'm using a .060 as the 7th string on my Epi LP, tuned down to "B", and intonation is problematic with the standard Gibson/Epi scaling. Most ERG's and Baritones tend to have extended scales, as well. You may have somewhat better luck tuned to "C", however. Fripp uses a .059 for the 6th String "C" in NST.

Edited by Winston Psmith (05/19/17 02:41 PM)
Edit Reason: brain cramp

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2856262 - 05/19/17 09:12 PM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
11-50s sounds good to me for a drop D, and they have become my favorite gauge for my standard tuning. +1 For a drop C, I might consider something a little heavier like 11-52s to avoid too much slack on the bass string. I'm not a de-tuner, so I'm just taking a wild guess at it. cool

Edited by Larryz (05/19/17 09:25 PM)

#2856285 - 05/20/17 02:45 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Larryz]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
My co-worker's Emperor sounds and feels great with 11 flats, at regular tuning, so I imagine that would work better than 10's for drop-tuning, if not going even to 12's or even a balanced tension 13 set (maybe not recommended due to this being a 25.5" scale ).

#2856292 - 05/20/17 05:35 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Scott Fraser]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

I don't know why I didn't think to do this when I first posted above; moments ago, I detuned the .050" DR Pure Blues 6th/Low-E sting on my Les Paul- which has a shorter scale-length than your Emperor- down to C.

I found it a bit loose and floppy for my tastes- even a bit dulled sounding- but still playable; "YMMV", especially with your Emperor's longer scale-length and the increased tension that comes with that.

So, a .050" string of the same brand and type that you've been using may be heavy enough for Low-C; or maybe you'll prefer a .052" for that. Personally, I'd need 12's or even 13's for tuning-down a whole-step, even on a longer scaled instrument like your Emperor- and certainly a .052" or .054" for that Low-C.

By the way, years ago, when tuned-down a half-step, I found a set of 11's to be very comfy on a Strat (basically the same scale-length as your Emperor); I found their tension and playability to feel in-between 9's and 10's.

Tuned-down a whole-step, 11's may be just-right for you; or, maybe even 12's.

Yup, it's a single floating mini-humbucker on an L5 size body. That's the DR set I put on just about everything, & I thank you for the recommendation on those.

Hmmmmm; DR has a truly unique string-set, their DR ZEBRA™ Acoustic-Electric strings, that you might also like...

Originally Posted By: DR Strings on their 'site
Unique Acoustic-Electric ZEBRA acoustic-electric strings wound on Round Cores! They are designed for acoustic-electric guitars with piezo pick-ups under the bridge... or magnetic pick-ups in the soundhole. Full size archtop jazz guitars also respond to “Zebras” with “Richer tones” according to players. ANY amplified acoustic comes ALIVE when you put on the Zebra strings. Revolutionary because no one has ever done this before. And no one else does it yet. It is the very first string where you can SEE the difference. Every other coil is nickel-plated steel, every other coil RARE phosphor bronze.

The string on the left- the 6th/Low-E - is a Zebra; note the alternating phosphor-bronze and nickel-plated-steel wrap-wires, spiraled together:

___________.
___________.

___________.

#2856316 - 05/20/17 07:44 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
JuJu Kwan Online   content

Loc: Shenzhen, China
This is interesting to me. I've always used 9s, because they came on my Strat, and never thought about how different gauge strings act differently. Now I'm going to experiment with different strings.

#2856320 - 05/20/17 08:13 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: JuJu Kwan]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: JuJu Kwan
This is interesting to me. I've always used 9s, because they came on my Strat, and never thought about how different gauge strings act differently. Now I'm going to experiment with different strings.

@JuJu Kwan - Keep in mind that different string sets have different tension, as well, which means you'll have to adjust your intonation, and very likely the spring tension on your Vibrato, if you go to a higher string gauge. The good news for you is that bolt-on necks tend to be much better suited to heavier string sets. I had one of the folks from 1-800-Gibson tell me that I should not put .011's on my SG's, which was probably good advice, if somewhat disappointing. Your Strat will easily handle a .011-.049 string set, and may sound more lively with heavier strings.

#2856325 - 05/20/17 08:45 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Winston Psmith]
JuJu Kwan Online   content

Loc: Shenzhen, China
@ Winston Psmith. Thank you, this is the reason I came to this site originally. I've only been playing about 6 years and consider myself at best a novice, but when it comes to gear I'm a beginner. Almost everything I know about gear I've learned from everyone here. My generation has not embraced guitar like past generations and people here could play a part in changing that trend. We need to hear form real people who are longtime players, not from superstars who they can not realistically hope to be. If we could get a sense that we could play and just have fun maybe the future of guitar maybe better than some think. I Have no delusion of ever being a professional musician, but I would like to start trio of like minded professionals, after I graduate, just to play parties and have fun. Thanks everyone for allowing me to vent.

Edited by JuJu Kwan (05/20/17 08:47 AM)

#2856334 - 05/20/17 10:02 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, I was impatient last night, didn't have a chance to get to a guitar store, & had a set of .010s here. I can safely say that the included .036 & .046 can no way in hell stand up to being tuned to G & C respectively. Very floppy & lots of string buzz, but as a proof of concept I am loving the range of being tuned there. I just need the right strings to pull it off. I don't know if GC let's you make up custom sets, but I guess I can try a 7 string set to get something in the .050-ish range for my low C. Thanks everybody for the tips. More experimentation ensues.

#2856335 - 05/20/17 10:05 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: JuJu Kwan]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Hell JuJu, I've been hacking away at the guitar for about 60 or so years now and STILL consider myself somewhat of a "novice". grin

But seriously, since coming to this forum i've been able to save myself a LOT of time, trouble, heartache and money by relying on others relating their experiences with various strings and accessories and using much of that info as guidelines. And feel FREE to vent. That's what we're HERE for! wink
Whitefang

#2856363 - 05/20/17 12:14 PM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Scott Fraser]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, I was impatient last night, didn't have a chance to get to a guitar store, & had a set of .010s here. I can safely say that the included .036 & .046 can no way in hell stand up to being tuned to G & C respectively. Very floppy & lots of string buzz, but as a proof of concept I am loving the range of being tuned there. I just need the right strings to pull it off. I don't know if GC let's you make up custom sets, but I guess I can try a 7 string set to get something in the .050-ish range for my low C. Thanks everybody for the tips. More experimentation ensues.

Scott, I have to apologize for an oversight on my part. It is very likely you can find a hybrid Light Top-Heavy Bottom string set that will get you further into the .050+ range, without having to buy a 7-string set. DR makes a Pure Blues set that runs .010-.052., and D'Addario makes a Medium Top/Heavy Bottom .011-.056 string set. Something in that range should suit you.

#2856376 - 05/20/17 01:57 PM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Originally Posted By: JuJu Kwan

@JuJu Kwan - Keep in mind that different string sets have different tension, as well, which means you'll have to adjust your intonation, and very likely the spring tension on your Vibrato, if you go to a higher string gauge. The good news for you is that bolt-on necks tend to be much better suited to heavier string sets. I had one of the folks from 1-800-Gibson tell me that I should not put .011's on my SG's, which was probably good advice, if somewhat disappointing. Your Strat will easily handle a .011-.049 string set, and may sound more lively with heavier strings.

Also JuJu, those Strats came loaded with 9's as it's much easier to bend the notes with lighter gauge strings. I had no problem running 10's on mine as I do not do full bends much anymore. But, if you're a note bender, you may want to stay with the 9's. Give the 10's a try as you can always go back to 9's if they feel too heavy for you. If you like the way they feel, you can take your guitar in and have the intonation, etc. set up or go back to the 9's at anytime. cool

#2856417 - 05/20/17 05:45 PM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Scott Fraser]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Scott- if you haven't yet, please see my additional post above, the one including my report on my brief detuning to Low-C test-run and the info on and photo of DR Zebra hybrid acoustic-electric strings, and other stuff 'n' things...

DR will make up custom mixed-gauge sets for you through any dealer; you just might have to order two or three sets, and/or pay up front- I can't recall what the requirement was. But I myself used to regularly get my own custom mixed-gauge Pure Blues sets for Open-D tuning; I loved it! If the dealer says they can't or won't, it's the dealer saying "no"- not DR.|

If, besides putting a full set of Pure Blues .011" through .050" strings on that Emperor and tuning 'em to a whole-step below "Standard" (and you know, of course, that the guitar's relief and intonation will need to be adjusted, right? wink ), you just want to try a .052" Pure Blues and/or a .054" Zebra (I don't think that they make a .054" Pure Blues anymore, but they might) for that 6th/Low-C, you could, say, order a custom set consisting of, say, four .026" 's as spare 4th/"D" 's for all of your other electric guitars, and one Pure Blues .052" and one Zebra .054". Six strings- four that you'll possibly need for your other axes, and two to experiment with.

Those Zebra strings should feel and sound pretty similar enough to the Pure Blues, and maybe even better for that guitar and your intentions for it; I think that you'll like them.

#2856436 - 05/20/17 09:48 PM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
FWIW, when I got started playing in NST (CDEAEG), there were no hybrid sets and few for 7+ stringers. I have NST guitars in both 24.75" and 25.5" scales. I usually string them C:052+ G:044+ D:030 A:016 E:011 G:009

Try finding THAT in a 6-sting packet- IOW, to get strings of the proper gauges, I usually had to buy 2 sets of strings.

Over time, though, I found some string makers sold theirs in sets OR individually (like Aurora) and some retailers selling strings from all makers, like Just Strings, for example.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2856476 - 05/21/17 07:23 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
FWIW, when I got started playing in NST (CDEAEG), there were no hybrid sets and few for 7+ stringers. I have NST guitars in both 24.75" and 25.5" scales. I usually string them C:052+ G:044+ D:030 A:016 E:011 G:009

Try finding THAT in a 6-sting packet- IOW, to get strings of the proper gauges, I usually had to buy 2 sets of strings.

Over time, though, I found some string makers sold theirs in sets OR individually (like Aurora) and some retailers selling strings from all makers, like Just Strings, for example.

DR will happily make custom mixed-gauged sets for you consisting of the gauges you cite above in your choice of (among others):

Pure Blues (solid/pure-nickel wrap),

Tite-Fit (nickel-plated steel wrap),

Zebra (hybrid alternating nickel-plated steel & phosphor-bronze wrap),

Veritas ("Quantum Nickel™" alloy wrap & "XENON™ power-plain™" plain alloy strings).

All of the above use round-core wire for their round-wound strings.

Their Tite-Fit and Zebra strings include heavier gauges that should allow you to put together 7 or even 8 string sets, as well.

I've ordered various custom mixed-gauge sets of DR strings through Strings & Beyond, but any store or retailer that carries DR's should be able to do the same; I'd got custom sets of DR's through brick-and-mortar, individual non-chain stores before, too.

#2856480 - 05/21/17 07:34 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

At a Robert Fripp & The League Of Crafty Guitarists show, they were selling sets of Acoustic strings for the NST. Those sets ran .059-.047-.032-.022-.013-.011, low to high. Yes, I kept the empty package after I used the strings, as I've never found them again . . .

#2856482 - 05/21/17 07:53 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Winston Psmith]
CEB Offline
10k Club

FWIW I would be tempted to try the Digitech Drop or the Eventide PitchFactor and leave the guitar setup with as is and not deal with gauge feel and nut issues.

I have the Morpheus Drop Tune. I worked well enough for what I needed which was just a half step drops, because drop tuning would throw the stops off on the B and G benders. The newer pitch effects probably work a lot better than my old Morpheus.

Edited by CEB (05/21/17 08:09 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes !!!
So can a auto Mechanic. " - Stokes Hunt

#2856484 - 05/21/17 08:08 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: CEB]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Digitech Drop. Plays some cleanish stuff at about 2:15 in.

#2856495 - 05/21/17 09:35 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith

At a Robert Fripp & The League Of Crafty Guitarists show, they were selling sets of Acoustic strings for the NST. Those sets ran .059-.047-.032-.022-.013-.011, low to high. Yes, I kept the empty package after I used the strings, as I've never found them again . . .

I was talking electrics- shoulda made that clear.

I have some Auroras on my NST-tuned Ovation Elite right now. Can't remember what gauge, though.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2856509 - 05/21/17 10:45 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

http://www.juststrings.com/dad-ehr340.html <---D'Addario makes a set of 10-52 half wounds that are round wound stainless much brighter than flat wounds. They should do the trick Scott. And, they squeak less than regular round wound strings... cool

Edited by Larryz (05/21/17 10:47 PM)
Edit Reason: sp

#2856576 - 05/21/17 07:49 PM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: CEB]
harvey Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: CEB
Digitech Drop. Plays some cleanish stuff at about 2:15 in.

Burgs! I interviewed him last year for my podcast - top bloke!

#2856578 - 05/21/17 07:58 PM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: CEB]
harvey Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
FWIW I would be tempted to try the Digitech Drop or the Eventide PitchFactor and leave the guitar setup with as is and not deal with gauge feel and nut issues.

I have the Morpheus Drop Tune. I worked well enough for what I needed which was just a half step drops, because drop tuning would throw the stops off on the B and G benders. The newer pitch effects probably work a lot better than my old Morpheus.

Was the Orpheus ok for chords? That's where I find these things get a bit glitchy.

I'd understand why you wouldn't want to change the tuning with a bender equipped guitar...but I think part of the fun of a Bari or dropped tuning is the different tension and thicker strings.

I'll check out the Burgs video, when I can.

#2856662 - 05/22/17 08:28 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: harvey]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@Dannyalcatraz - Part of the reason I saved the pack from the NSTrings (that's what it says on the package) was so I could use those gauges as template, so to speak, for creating my own NST set for Electric. If you're curious, I'll send you a photo of the NSTrings pack, maybe you can find them somewhere? I've never seen them anywhere but at the show.

@Harvey - So far, the best-sounding Pitch Shift effect I have is the Pedal Bend effect on my Boss GT-10; very clean-sounding, no glitches. However, I tend to use it for bends of no one than one Whole Step either way. Haven't tried dive-bombing octaves with it?

FWIW, I had a Digitech Whammy, and found it too limited: Yes, it worked very well for what it did, but you couldn't re-program it in any way.

#2856665 - 05/22/17 08:53 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
http://www.juststrings.com/dad-ehr340.html <---D'Addario makes a set of 10-52 half wounds that are round wound stainless much brighter than flat wounds. They should do the trick Scott. And, they squeak less than regular round wound strings... cool

Less squeak is definitely the direction I want to take, but flatwounds have not appealed to me due to lack of sustain. Half wounds would be good if they're halfway to the squeaklessness of flatwounds, but not if they're halfway to the thuddy sustainlessness of flatwounds.

#2856667 - 05/22/17 08:59 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Scott Fraser]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I see DR has a line they call DDTs, or Drop Down Tuning strings, specifically intended for this application, so Ima try to find some locally today.

#2856672 - 05/22/17 09:14 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: harvey]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: harvey

Was the Orpheus ok for chords? That's where I find these things get a bit glitchy.

I'd understand why you wouldn't want to change the tuning with a bender equipped guitar...but I think part of the fun of a Bari or dropped tuning is the different tension and thicker strings.

I'll check out the Burgs video, when I can.

The Morpheus was Okay on chords. It was the best available pedal when I got it. It sounded OK live but you could feel some slight latency as the player..... Its not great to play but it got me through shows back when the band was alternating between standard and Eb tunings through out the show.

My biggest concerns with changing string gauges in the OPs case is that it may be possible that a new nut will have to be cut. The if Scott decides to go back to standard tuning and gauges how will the new nut work.

Edited by CEB (05/22/17 09:16 AM)

#2856673 - 05/22/17 09:15 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz

Less squeak is definitely the direction I want to take, but flatwounds have not appealed to me due to lack of sustain. Half wounds would be good if they're halfway to the squeaklessness of flatwounds, but not if they're halfway to the thuddy sustainlessness of flatwounds.

No other string will give you the silent treatment like a flatwound. I have used them for years but I too got tired of the dull thump sound. They do work well for those walking bass runs. I finally found some hand polished round wounds by Pyramid which cut the squeak substantially that I'm using now instead of those flatwounds.

My buddy is running the Half Wounds above on his acoustics to get less squeak and he and others really like them. I like my Pyramids better but they are not as bright. The Half Wounds come in a gauge which allows you to run the light 10's on the high E and a heavy E 52's on the low E which works good for drop tuning. There are probably other sets out there with a similar gauge. This gauge sounds like what you're looking for...you may or not want stainless steel, but that's how you get away from the dull flatwound sound. The brighter flatwounds are stainless. Nickel is duller. The Pyramids hand polished are pure nickel and they are brighter than the flats. Plus they are wound on round cores which bends easier for less stiffness. They reduce squeak by at least 50% over regular wound strings, which is a big factor in my choice of strings.

Good luck in your quest, as the hunt is half the fun! thu

Edited by Larryz (05/22/17 09:21 AM)

#2856675 - 05/22/17 09:25 AM Re: String Gauge Suggestion [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I see DR has a line they call DDTs, or Drop Down Tuning strings, specifically intended for this application, so Ima try to find some locally today.

They come in 10-52's as well for drop tuning... cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose