Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2856160 - 05/19/17 12:27 PM Star Spangled Banner Suggestions
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I'll be filling in with a band Memorial Day Weekend and the guitar player wants to do a sort of Jimi Hendrix-esque version of Star Spangled Banner, but want's me to accompany him - mainly just chords, no melody, in D. We spoke on the phone a bit and he said he was thinking Hammond.

Of course, I can find some charts and music online, and have no problem transposing if they aren't in D. But given the criteria and that some of you do a lot more Hammond work than me, I figured I'd float it out there to see if any of you have any good ideas or suggestions in terms of how to arrange this or what drawbar settings, leslie, etc to use. Videos of notable performances for reference would be cool. This is obviously a rock band. He also wants me to include some fireworks samples/explosions/etc which is no big deal - got that covered.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

KC Island
#2856165 - 05/19/17 01:04 PM Re: Star Spangled Banner Suggestions [Re: J. Dan]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Play bass with your Left hand and just chord with your right, doing your best to follow him. You'll have a full sound then.

#2856167 - 05/19/17 01:06 PM Re: Star Spangled Banner Suggestions [Re: J. Dan]
The Real MC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Originally Posted By: J. Dan
He also wants me to include some fireworks samples/explosions/etc which is no big deal - got that covered.

Don't forget the daggers for the Hammond. Might be a keyboard tab for that song somewhere, complete with dagger icons.

#2856168 - 05/19/17 01:06 PM Re: Star Spangled Banner Suggestions [Re: J. Dan]
Moonglow Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
I've always liked the way Neal Schon and Jonathan Cain do it. Dig the symphonic string pad Jonathan uses and the chord variations.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner