Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2855735 - 05/17/17 06:02 AM New Blog Post--30 Years Ago in GP
eichaan Offline

Loc: NE PA
I have begun a series on my blog where I re-read the Guitar Player magazine from exactly 30 years ago and discuss it in depth. My focus is on what I learned from the issue at the time (in 1987 I was 17 years old) and what I learn now by revisiting it. I got lots of really good feedback from people on the first installment in March, so I hope you find this one equally as interesting.

Some highlights of the May issue were articles about Robert Cray, the Georgia Satellites, Nashville session ace Brent Rowan, life as a pit musician, and a NAMM 1987 gear rundown.

You can read the post here:

http://icarusanybody.blogspot.com/2017/05/my-back-pages-thirty-years-ago-in.html

GP Island
#2855778 - 05/17/17 08:35 AM Re: New Blog Post--30 Years Ago in GP [Re: eichaan]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Nice blog article, cool idea...

I am sure that I had that issue, as I once had nearly every issue of Guitar Player magazine from August 1983 through April or May 2006, and many since '06, as well. Unfortunately I lost nearly all of those (08/'83 - 05/'06) due to a house-fire. I had a very good memory of the contents and covers, so it was very easy for me to quickly reference them and find specific articles and information for people. Had I the back-issues, I would doubtless make a fantastic, expert 'librarian'/'historian' for the magazine, their 'site, and these forums.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2855794 - 05/17/17 09:44 AM Re: New Blog Post--30 Years Ago in GP [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
eichaan Offline

Loc: NE PA
Thanks, Caevan. I'm so sorry to see about your fire--I hope nobody was hurt!

I know what you mean. For many years I've thought about trying to make an index of all of the issues and putting it under Creative Commons so anyone could search it.

I've always been VERY frustrated by GP's failure to make the contents of their back issues more available. Not sure if it's copyrights or ownership of free lance articles, but surely stuff written by staff members should be theirs to make available.

#2855803 - 05/17/17 10:13 AM Re: New Blog Post--30 Years Ago in GP [Re: eichaan]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: eichaan
I know what you mean. For many years I've thought about trying to make an index of all of the issues and putting it under Creative Commons so anyone could search it.

I've always been VERY frustrated by GP's failure to make the contents of their back issues more available. Not sure if it's copyrights or ownership of free lance articles, but surely stuff written by staff members should be theirs to make available.

I understand that there's a LOT of photo, author, artist, advertiser's, etc. etc. ETC. rights and royalties to untangle and pay-out with any reproduction of any given back-issue. Lawyers would have a feeding-frenzy. It's sadly virtually impossible, and certainly unfeasible, got GP to even try to make old back-issue contents available online, as files, downloads, media such as CDROM's, etc...

You, "Creative Commons", etc. might have a better chance... twothumbs cool

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2856085 - 05/19/17 04:47 AM Re: New Blog Post--30 Years Ago in GP [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
It might be a business decision too. Especially if back issues aren't free. Why make an ARTICLE or two of some back issue available for FREE when you can SELL the issue it was IN?

I can understand that and I'm not trying to INSULT GP for doing that, if it IS the reason.
Whitefang

#2856579 - 05/21/17 08:04 PM Re: New Blog Post--30 Years Ago in GP [Re: whitefang]
harvey Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I love this idea! Will check it out when I get a chance...

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose