Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2855961 - 05/18/17 08:01 AM Re: Heartbreakers Keyboardist Benmont Tench No Likey the DX-7 [Re: jonregen]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Well two different pianos yes for sure.

noblevibes.com

KC Island
#2855965 - 05/18/17 08:30 AM Re: Heartbreakers Keyboardist Benmont Tench No Likey the DX-7 [Re: Outkaster]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
The Steinway's resonance is so nice compared to the Yamaha's more bell like tones. At least for my tastes that is...I like Yamaha's too, but ...
Low tension strings vs. high tension...the low tension Steinway vibrates that floating Alaskan Sitka spruce soundboard that's beveled at the edges that allows the sound-bridge to float with the string vibration. The whole piano almost becomes the resonator ...Yamaha's are good band instruments were most of sound comes from the strings (hi tension) and the hardened piano case edge to project it...good in big band/orchestral (non classical) acoustic settings...with Steinways the overtone's become more complex with their low tension string/soundboard approach.. But TP/Benmont is all amplified music so both pianos would not be in their natural settings.... As long as the Steinway is miked right....I'd take it any day over the Yamaha...unless it's (and it's very possible) a bad Steinway (hand made) ....not to mention the Steinway actions which I love. Yamaha learned mass production techniques many years ago from Schumann Pianos (I believe if I remember correctly from Germany)....they are all pretty much the same (or should be) ....

I took the Steinway Factory tour a few years back with my wife.
I grew up about 15 min. from there. I recommend that tour if you are going to be in NYC. Steinway built a whole facility with housing and shops years ago for his employees to live in in Astoria, Queens originally years ago. An amazing story...hit the food places in Astoria also after the tour...you won't be disappointed!

PS: I play a Yamaha YUX upright at home right now...,so!

Steinway Factory Tour . . .
keys

Edited by Legatoboy (05/18/17 09:01 AM)

#2855968 - 05/18/17 09:05 AM Re: Heartbreakers Keyboardist Benmont Tench No Likey the DX-7 [Re: Legatoboy]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Legatoboy
the low tension Steinway vibrates that floating Alaskan Sitka spruce soundboard that's beveled at the edges that allows the sound-bridge to float with the string vibration.

I got wood on that one...

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2855969 - 05/18/17 09:45 AM Re: Heartbreakers Keyboardist Benmont Tench No Likey the DX-7 [Re: SkiGuy777]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
Originally Posted By: SkiGuy777
Rick Wakeman is in a video talking about how he burned a mellotron in a bon fire in his back yard. But he still has all the tapes. Now he plays the digital version and thinks highly of it.

To play a vintage Mellotron is to understand. The motor control system for the original Mellotrons (remember it is a tape playback system, thus dependent on a motor) had a design error - they were hopelessly unreliable thus worthy of a flaming sacrifice. The control system failed to regulate the speed of the motor controlling the tape flow, resulting in unstable pitch.

Quote:
Rick embraced the new technology going with the Kronos (2 of them), Hammond SK1 (73 key), new synths, but he's got 2 Mini Moogs.

To play a Minimoog is to understand. They have a unique voice that still hasn't been duplicated.

Quote:
If Benmont Tench is going to complain about anything, it would be carrying the grand piano. The Kronos has those sounds.

To play a real piano is to understand. For most of us the digital simulation is good enough, and for rest of us aficionados we have to have the real deal. If Benmont has the resources to cart a grand piano, who are we to question his appreciation of the art?

Quote:
He needs to keep that DX7, pull it out in 10 years, and play that patch like we recently saw for Journey Separate Ways.

To play a DX7 is to understand. People either love the DX7 or they hate it, there is no in between. You have to remember that the DX7 was the first synth that could produce decent percussive sounds like EP and organ that didn't go out of tune, didn't cost a fortune, and it was lightweight. For the instant gratification folks, you could play it right out of the box. For the folks who aren't into that tinny FM sound and/or like to tweak a patch to give their own identity or to get a desired sound, the interface and unpredictability of FM programming made it very tedious. That meant you had to resort to third party patches, which were just as tinny and clangorous as the factory patches.

Benmont may be stuck using the DX7 for that one signature sound, but not being a fan of FM he isn't going to use it for future work.

#2855970 - 05/18/17 09:45 AM Re: Heartbreakers Keyboardist Benmont Tench No Likey the DX-7 [Re: mate stubb]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
the low tension Steinway vibrates that floating Alaskan Sitka spruce soundboard that's beveled at the edges that allows the sound-bridge to float with the string vibration.

I got wood on that one...

facepalm Much more than I needed to know but I'm glad for Ya! We all know how important good wood actually is by now! Steinway said they reject 95% of the wood sent to them for their soundboards... I usually reject Zero (0) % of my own wood personally . . . It's all 'good enough' for me!

Edited by Legatoboy (05/18/17 09:49 AM)

#2855973 - 05/18/17 10:03 AM Re: Heartbreakers Keyboardist Benmont Tench No Likey the DX-7 [Re: Legatoboy]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Coming soon to a phone number near you - Legatoboy's Seductive Gear Slutz Line. Only $9.99 per minute... wink

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2855979 - 05/18/17 10:50 AM Re: Heartbreakers Keyboardist Benmont Tench No Likey the DX-7 [Re: mate stubb]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
Coming soon to a phone number near you - Legatoboy's Seductive Gear Slutz Line. Only $9.99 per minute... wink

twothumbs
I'll be marketing my own line of ladies Hot Pants made from Leslie Scrim cloth. Oh so sheer! Oh so sexy!

"Get Your Bottom Rotating Baby!" grin

#2855981 - 05/18/17 10:55 AM Re: Heartbreakers Keyboardist Benmont Tench No Likey the DX-7 [Re: Legatoboy]
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

"Get Your Bottom Rotating Baby!" grin
I'm a horn man myself.

#2855982 - 05/18/17 10:57 AM Re: Heartbreakers Keyboardist Benmont Tench No Likey the DX-7 [Re: jonregen]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: jonregen
Hey All,

Benmont got a big kick out of this thread and wanted me to tell you a few things...

"I'm already using the Nord on that song, with a volume pedal, to bring a string drone in & out on that song, and since it's that DX on the record, that's what I brought. Also, a lot of the time Tom & Mike DO bring out the same guitar they used on the record. That stage is a bloody guitar museum. As to Yamaha/ Steinway? Really no comparison."

You heard it here first!

Jon

Jon Regen
Editor
KEYBOARDMAG.COM
Thanks Jon and Benmont! twothumbs

#2856046 - 05/18/17 07:49 PM Re: Heartbreakers Keyboardist Benmont Tench No Likey the DX-7 [Re: Joe Muscara]
DulceLabs.com Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Orlando, Florida
These "mods" will make your DX-7 much more vintage and thus better sounding.

#2856053 - 05/18/17 08:06 PM Re: Heartbreakers Keyboardist Benmont Tench No Likey the DX-7 [Re: The Real MC]
Synthoid Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: The Real MC
You have to remember that the DX7 was the first synth that could produce decent percussive sounds like EP and organ that didn't go out of tune, didn't cost a fortune, and it was lightweight. For the instant gratification folks, you could play it right out of the box. For the folks who aren't into that tinny FM sound and/or like to tweak a patch to give their own identity or to get a desired sound, the interface and unpredictability of FM programming made it very tedious. That meant you had to resort to third party patches, which were just as tinny and clangorous as the factory patches.

Couldn't afford a DX7 so I bought a DX21 back in the 80's. I actually spent time learning to program the thing. Not really deep programming, but I created some cool patches. Some were of the usual clangorous nature but others were more tasteful, like a very dreamy piano sound that I used a lot.

#2856095 - 05/19/17 05:51 AM Re: Heartbreakers Keyboardist Benmont Tench No Likey the DX-7 [Re: Synthoid]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
I still have a DX21 in mint condition in a road case....my dad got it for me in 1984 I think it was. There are still usable sounds on it.

noblevibes.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner