Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2855533 - 05/16/17 05:24 AM How is your gigging season going so far
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
How is your gigging season going so far? So far this has been the most god awful spring. One bar that wants us is a huge music venue that pulls very good acts and is under new management. It seems their liquor license hasn't been granted. I lost April 22 and May 26th as they are having trouble opening. Then we have a popular spot on Lake Ontario that we pack that has flooded because of the high amount of rain we have gotten this spring and probably won't open till the end of June. This also means my gig will be cancelled. I hope you are all having better luck than me.

Edited by Outkaster (05/16/17 05:24 AM)

noblevibes.com

KC Island
#2855551 - 05/16/17 06:43 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: Outkaster]
_Maximus_ Offline

Loc: Guatemala
It's been good, gigging 2-4 times a week, but we lost the most regular gig which was on Wednesdays, too bad, and they payed cash, unfortunately the relationship with the owner and our management soured really fast, but giggin there was becoming a chore instead of fun, just recorded a new song with another band and were working out details for the new video, I'm still filling out dates for the next month, a lot of gigs are due for payment in the next two weeks so some dough is coming my way like

Edited by _Maximus_ (05/16/17 06:46 AM)

#2855585 - 05/16/17 08:51 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: _Maximus_]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
About the same as usual.....playing about 15-20 times a month. A lot of it is solo these days though. Not nearly as many bar gigs with bands as in the past....ehhhh, better $$$ and less aggravation.....

#2855588 - 05/16/17 08:59 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: area51recording]
richforman Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
This is my busiest summer of gigs in four or five years; however in contrast to the last two or three, it is more quantity less quality. Kind of slid back down the ladder a notch or two from where I was a couple years ago in terms of the size prestige and money of the gigs I'm doing, but on the other hand the ones this year are a lot more local, no travel or road trips involved, and they are all nice outdoor/waterside type bar and restaurant gigs. Only a couple street fairs and private events. Anyway it's all good, I'm looking forward to the summer gigging steadily with my dance/oldies/top-40 band. We seem to be likely to lose what was our steadiest off-season/winter gig, where I'm hearing they're losing their lease so we will be on the lookout for a new spot or two to replace it when fall rolls around. Anyway the summer season starts for us this weekend with the first of those outdoor/waterside gigs this Saturday.

Edited by richforman (05/16/17 09:00 AM)

#2855592 - 05/16/17 09:08 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: richforman]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
So far, been busy. Most are decent money gigs, everything from weddings with the dance / covers band to funk in bars to jazz trio at private retirement party.

This year has a fair amount of unique gigs - from money being thrown at the band like we're strippers to naked sorority girls on stage.

Have had to say no to one major project (and 80's tribute with costumes and the like) as I just don't have time to do it justice (with current work, day job, and getting wed).

Still, looking like it may end up being a pretty satisfying music year, creatively and financially.

#2855600 - 05/16/17 09:54 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: timwat]
CEB Online   content
10k Club

It's going. I mean ..... I'm busy enough. I just wish I didn't have to be busy.

#2855601 - 05/16/17 09:55 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: CEB]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

So far so good. Playing our usual local bars and packing them in, along with the occasional unique gigs.

The wildest one looks to be later this summer playing a solar eclipse party at a winery on the bluffs above the Missouri river. They are expecting 10,000 people to descend on our area for that. I wonder how many drunken knuckleheads are going to find a way to fall off the cliff.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2855602 - 05/16/17 09:57 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: mate stubb]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'd rather gig 30 or 40 times in a four month period but I am down to about 16 with one band. It's just an awful season so far. I am glad you all are doing well.

noblevibes.com

#2855607 - 05/16/17 10:20 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: Outkaster]
Legatoboy Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
Fair to Moderate... I want it that way... maybe 3 gigs a month
More time to development myself at home and I believe I will gig like this for some time to come. Every weekend and 1 during the week with a day job would just suck for me at 62.

I don't rely on gig $ to survive now.
admire those who did... I've had to do that in recent years myself for periods...that and teach

Edited by Legatoboy (05/16/17 10:22 AM)

#2855619 - 05/16/17 11:03 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: Legatoboy]
David R Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Montreal, QC
April & May have been relatively slow but it kicks off with a bang: triple-header with the function band June 2-3-4 and then I'm slammed until October between the function band and the freelance/touring stuff that I do. Very grateful.

Logic 9, Mainstage 2, Kontakt 5, AAS & Arturia stuff, fingers, pencil, paper.

#2855623 - 05/16/17 11:14 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: David R]
SkiGuy777 Offline

Things have dried up for Solid Brass. There's nothing on the schedule. I just video taped them last weekend at City Place, got a ton of great footage that I need to edit.

Anyway, here's an e-mail the band leader sent out to everyone.

> First off, I got in touch with the guy who does the bookings for the xxxxxx, xxxxxx. Interestingly enough, he saw us at xxxxx's birthday party a couple of months back, so he was familiar with us. He loved us. As a matter of fact, he was so amazed by Fred's singing that he said he aspires to be that kind of person one day. Anyway, he told me that the xxxxxxxx has two seasons, one being for their outdoor concerts, which pays better, with sound provided, and the other their indoor season, which pays only $500 (but we would have to provide sound). Realistically, considering the agent's fee, it wouldn't be worth it to do the indoor gig. Even xxxxxx said it'd be ridiculous for a band of our size to accept such a small amount of money. He said he would definitely keep us in mind for their outdoor events, and those pick up again in November. May is the last month of that season, and they're already booked for every weekend. He did say he'd call us if there's a cancellation.
>
> In short, I'm telling you guys this because the harsh reality is if we want to stay busy this summer, we might have to accept gigs that pay peanuts. If you're not ok with that, than I won't waste my time. But I would like to hear your input on this. Anything. Even suggestions of where you'd like to play.

So there we are, an 8 piece horn band with a web site, videos, references, can't get a gig because it's the summer season, and the venues pay less.

That's ok with me, I have a day job, and I'm rehearsing with the 3DN tribute which is a side project.

#2855632 - 05/16/17 12:08 PM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: SkiGuy777]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That sounds like an e-mail I have to write often to get people on board.

noblevibes.com

#2855640 - 05/16/17 01:00 PM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: Outkaster]
Bob L Offline

We are at about the same place we were last year (which isn't bad). We play for a hobby so average of two gigs a month is the goal. We play in south Santa Clara county (many gigs south of San Jose, CA in Morgan Hill, Gilroy). There are many more bands than venues to play, and that has posed a challenge since the band started. I wish we could pick up many more private parties (pay better, built in audience) but the number of those is steady state from prior years. We are a quartet so that keeps our price to hire lower. We have some venues that we play multiple times a year so thank goodness for that. Also tough to get all the band members to put in enough time and energy to keep the calendar full. I finally backed off from some of that responsibility because it was driving me crazy.

#2855642 - 05/16/17 01:12 PM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: Outkaster]
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Raleigh, NC
About like others here. My main solo gig (two shows a month) was dropped to one show a month and now has been taken on by an agent in Aurora IL. So I may loose all those shows. The first three months I bet I had 15 shows I missed because I was already booked, so that was slim picking. Things have picked up and I have the 8pc band working 10-14 shows a month for the next several months and my Trio is picking up some work. And of course my original recording project is off and running. All in All it is going to be a good year!!

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.steveowensandsummertime.com
www.jimmyweaver.com
www.handsofmassage.com

#2855644 - 05/16/17 01:14 PM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: Bob L]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Things going well for the most part. March / April / Beginning of May were a little more mellow than usual for my Top 40 band. February was crazy though. I've used the time to work on and finish up my record. The Summer looks like it will be slamming which is good.

#2855677 - 05/16/17 04:41 PM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: Bobadohshe]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
My cover band is having a busier than usual 2017. We typically rotate through about 4-5 local bars and limit ourselves to 3-4 gigs per month, based on a few members that travel with families and such, plus this is really a sidebar thing we do mostly for fun.

The one exception we make to the 3-4 gigs per month is when we are asked to play on weekdays, which we'll typically take with no questions asked, so long as the pay is similar to what we typically make. We have locked into an interesting niche of easy party gigs on weeknights from 5-8 pm in beautiful locations, paying above our standard rate! It won't be consistent throughout the year, but as an example, this current week we have 5 gigs within an 8 day period - this is VERY busy for us.

#2855727 - 05/17/17 05:23 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: eric]
Losendoskeys Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: West Sussex, UK
Los Endos are doing better and better.
same number of gigs (about 15 in the year as we all have "proper" jobs") but places where we got e.g. 140 are now 270.
First gig in Braintree last Saturday we got 190, so word is getting round. like

#2855897 - 05/17/17 05:29 PM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: Losendoskeys]
KeyMoe Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Texas
A little better than last year. Texas country band doing 10-12 shows a month and my subbing has picked as well doing an additional 2 to 3 sub gigs a month. So over all 12 to 15 nights a month. About all I can handle as I still have a pretty busy day gig. I do wish the private party business picks up, but that is a little slower than last year.

All in all fairly good so far.....

#2855913 - 05/17/17 07:53 PM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: KeyMoe]
Polkahero Offline
KCFF League Champ '15
Platinum Member

Loc: Michigan
Band gigs on keyboards? Practically nonexistent this year. Even my gigs as a bassist are way down. However, I'm playing a lot more solo piano gigs which is more musically satisfying, less hassle, and pays almost as well.
Kawai MP7
Alesis QSR

#2855940 - 05/18/17 05:14 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: eric]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: eric
My cover band is having a busier than usual 2017. We typically rotate through about 4-5 local bars and limit ourselves to 3-4 gigs per month, based on a few members that travel with families and such, plus this is really a sidebar thing we do mostly for fun.

The one exception we make to the 3-4 gigs per month is when we are asked to play on weekdays, which we'll typically take with no questions asked, so long as the pay is similar to what we typically make. We have locked into an interesting niche of easy party gigs on weeknights from 5-8 pm in beautiful locations, paying above our standard rate! It won't be consistent throughout the year, but as an example, this current week we have 5 gigs within an 8 day period - this is VERY busy for us.

Your doing better than me.

noblevibes.com

#2855945 - 05/18/17 05:47 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: Outkaster]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
Non existent so far, particularly since I left Ghost Community. Hopefully once my Floyd band gets going things will pick up. I've got way too much gear to pay off this year!

#2855972 - 05/18/17 10:00 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: MorayM]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN
Kind of quiet: about twice a month between May and October. The band I'm with is okay -well, sort of - but I've got to get something more substantial happening, musically. Slight chance that could happen with this group, but as I'm not the leader that's pretty unlikely; and major personnel changes are just part of the equation.
It's a weird scene in this area; within a radius of 50 miles band gigs are pretty slim. Granted we're 65 miles from Chicago, but the gigs I've seen lately are far north / northwest of the city - about two hours one-way; and most of the bands want weekly rehearsals..

Have a solid, p/t church directing gig, and I teach a few days a week; so there is work happening, for which I'm grateful. But most of that is coaching, with very little opportunity to really cut loose and play. Just discovered a couple of jam nights / open mics in Michigan City and SW Michigan; time to start doing some hangs..

#2856034 - 05/18/17 05:05 PM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: allan_evett]
misterdregs Offline
Platinum Member

As busy as I want to be.

Two bands. Try not to do more than one gig per band per month. I want to keep it an enjoyable hobby and not a part-time job.

Inadvertently booked two nights this weekend but my girlfriend had to be out of town so avoided totally screwing up our weekend. But both are outdoors with pretty ugly forecasts. :-/

Best gig so far was an hour from home where the crowd surpasses the actual population of the town! How often does that happen?

#2856076 - 05/19/17 01:02 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: misterdregs]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Busier than I want to be. Two bands in Florida started sort of quiet, and then both came back to me with "we have all these gigs!!". Balancing that with work, life, travel, etc. has been a bit of effort this spring. A high class problem to have.

All good.

In the summer, I decamp to Cape Cod, and found a summer band that wants to take on a temporary keyboard dude. Hey, not many of us around, eh? Learned their setlist ahead of time (easy stuff), showed up to the first rehearsal last week and brought game.

Six gigs through mid Sept. I'm good.

Fall is looking to be busy again. I need to stop working for a living, and start playing more music.

Yeah, right.

Keys: Nord Stage 2, Piano 2, Electro 4D
Practice: Yam N3, Bosie 200 Klimt Model
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Spider Pro, MG06, etc.

#2856089 - 05/19/17 05:15 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: cphollis]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well that's cool. It's good to be busy but not overwhelmed.

noblevibes.com

#2856090 - 05/19/17 05:17 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: cphollis]
DanL Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
A little less busy with 1 band on purpose, 2 shows in May, 4 each in June, July Aug. Floyd band had nothing in spring due to poor planning on the part of the 2 guys in the band who handle that aspect. I kept telling them last fall they needed to get on venues for spring and they still think it's 1996 booking the local bar a month ahead of time. So our 1st show of the year is coming up in early June, then we have 1 show each in Aug, Sept, Oct, Dec, and Jan. Filling in the dates around that with a couple hippy band gigs, some freelancing with a blues band and some other walk on type shows.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2856109 - 05/19/17 07:04 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: DanL]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Dan how is the DE scene generally?

noblevibes.com

#2856114 - 05/19/17 07:59 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: Outkaster]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I'm not gigging full time anymore - just filling in as a hired gun, but have as much work as I want.

As far as I can tell, it seems to be like it always has....the bands and clubs that hit the right formula are busy. In St. Louis, different types of gigs are seasonal so you have to book different types of gigs throughout the year to keep busy.

The bars are busiest in the fall, period. After the new year, they slow down a bit except for special occasions - St. Pats, Mardi Gras, Cinco De Mayo, etc. They actually die a bit during Labor Day, Memorial Day, and July 4 because everybody goes to Lake of the Ozarks. Winery gigs are big in the Spring and Fall when the weather's nice. Summer is best for either Gigs at the Lake, or "Summer Concert" gigs, which just about every local municipality has, along with some festivals over the summer. Casino gigs are good year round.

If you can hit the right mix of hitting the right mix of different types of gigs each time of year, you can stay very busy. But you have to have the type of band and following that will work at all of those. Otherwise it's hit or miss and you're slave to the economy.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2856119 - 05/19/17 08:45 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: Outkaster]
DanL Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
Originally Posted By: Outkaster
Dan how is the DE scene generally?

I don't know compared to other markets, but if you have a decent band you can work pretty regularly. As a keyboard player I can pick and choose the bands I work with and maintain a good schedule. I could easily play more if I wanted, both with the 1 band and as a freelancer.

There are a lot of the typical lower paying bar venues, and then we have some decent paying places that once you get into, you usually get steady work if you are good and draw. I opt for those type rooms and play less per month and end up making more money than if I were doing the bar scene 6-8 nights a month.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2856123 - 05/19/17 08:52 AM Re: How is your gigging season going so far [Re: J. Dan]
tucktronix Offline
Platinum Member

So far, this year has been a bit unconventional compared to previous years. April was unusually busy and May is looking just as busy, but June and July's schedules.. typically the busiest time of the year, the summer months.. are looking rather anemic. Played 14 gigs in April and 10 are scheduled for this month. But so far, only 6 are scheduled in June and 7 in July. Over several years, I've played upon average of about 17 gigs in the month of July alone. Just to provide some background, I had dropped a few bands lately.. and those bands always played festivals throughout the summer.

Edited by tucktronix (05/19/17 08:53 AM)

Me & The Boyz
Chris Beard Band

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner