Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lounsberry pedals

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Jim's review, and he used an XK3 with the pedal in the effects loop. Most clones don't have the benefit of one. Anyone used it "straight", and if so, how did you hook it up? I believe it's mono, not stereo, so L (or R) out, to Lounsberry, to Vent (or similar) to mixer? Or something completely different?

Wonder if a stereo one is in the pipeline?

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

• 1 month later...

ciao!

I have 5 of Lounsberry's pedals :laugh:

(2 Organ Grinder - different versions -, Wurly Grinder, Bass Overdrive and the new Tall & Fat)

they all sound great, but this new TALL & FAT is probably the best sounding non-tube pedal I tried on my hammond C3 (and digital clones too).

If you have a tube leslie (or Tornado) you can use it just a clean boost (as you already have "THE SOUND" coming from the leslie TUBE AMP).

but if you have a transistor rotary speaker (or digital simulator) the Tall & Fat is now a game changer.

here my first taste with a 3300W (internal tube preamp OFF):

till now, I just reached that kind of middle-frequencies vintage sound (with my 3300W) through a Organ Drive.

:cheers:

I still don't get how you can use it without bypassing the internal sim. Having to purchase a ventilator or something like it would add consderably to the cost.

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

To use it with an INTERNAL Sim you need an EFX-LOOP

on your instrument BEFORE the INTERNAL Sim.

(Some clones have that - Legend XK3/c - most not).

If not you have to bypass the INTERNAL Sim and have to

use an EXTERNAL device (Ventilator, Burn or real Leslie).

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Good to know. Unfortunately on the XK1c, there is no effects loop, so to use the Tall & Fat would mean also getting a Vent or equivalent.

I do miss the tubes from the XK3c, but not the 25lbs of extra weight.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

To use it with an INTERNAL Sim you need an EFX-LOOP

on your instrument BEFORE the INTERNAL Sim.

(Some clones have that - Legend XK3/c - most not).

If not you have to bypass the INTERNAL Sim and have to

use an EXTERNAL device (Ventilator, Burn or real Leslie).

So there is no way to use this with a NE unless I also get something like a Ventilator?

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

this new TALL & FAT is probably the best sounding non-tube pedal I tried on my hammond C3 (and digital clones too).

Okay, so what tube pedal(s) would sound better than the T&F?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

That's what I meant to say, without an effects loop the grind pedal is in the wrong "place" in the effects chain.

I mentioned this because some people run it post Leslie sim.

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

That's what I meant to say, without an effects loop the grind pedal is in the wrong "place" in the effects chain.

Are you saying this is less than optimal or useless?

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Are you saying this is less than optimal or useless?

Running overdrive after a leslie sim can cause it to throb unnaturally.

Moe

---

... can cause it to throb unnaturally.

Oh my! We don't want any unnatural throbbin' going on! :o

So not worth using with an external sim?

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

If you go to the Lounsberry webpage and play the T&F review video, the reviewer first places it in front of a Vent with the Vent drive set to zero. Then, the reviewer tries it after the Mojo sim. He points out that the Leslie rise and fall in volume changes the amount of good distortion that the T&F supplies in sync with that rise and fall. (In a real Leslie, the amp distortion is constant at a given volume into the Leslie--it doesn't very with the forward or backward position of the rotary speakers.).

It is not IMHO that the T&F sounds bad or useless post sim, but it is not ideal. Listen for yourself.

For me, I already own a Vent II. I'm on the fence re T&F; does it sound better than Vent II drive to justify an additional pedal?? Maybe I cannot know without buying one.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

I think you meant to say "internal." With an external, you can definitely place it where you would want it to be.

Just from what I've read here, it sounds to me like placing it after an internal sim is not worth doing IF your goal is to make your clonewheel sound more authentic. Whether the resulting sound may be musically useful even if inauthentic is a different and more subjective question.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I think you meant to say "internal." With an external, you can definitely place it where you would want it to be.

Just from what I've read here, it sounds to me like placing it after an internal sim is not worth doing IF your goal is to make your clonewheel sound more authentic. Whether the resulting sound may be musically useful even if inauthentic is a different and more subjective question.

Yes. Thanks for the correction.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

You are very restrained Moe. Running any sort of overdrive after a Leslie sim sounds terrible. And that's on a good day.

There are only three good ways to use an overdrive and rotary effect with keyboards:

1. Put the overdrive in an effects loop.

2. Keep the volume and drive levels on the overdrive very low, almost too low to be effective.

3. Defeat the internal Leslie sim, and use an external device AFTER the overdrive.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

You are very restrained Moe. Running any sort of overdrive after a Leslie sim sounds terrible. And that's on a good day.

SSM

A bit off topic,........

I know some Hammonds have reverb built in and then the leslie comes after the reverb'd organ, but i really dislike reverb before a sim.

There are only three good ways to use an overdrive and rotary effect with keyboards:

1. Put the overdrive in an effects loop.

2. Keep the volume and drive levels on the overdrive very low, almost too low to be effective.

3. Defeat the internal Leslie sim, and use an external device AFTER the overdrive.

SSM

Thank you for a concise summary. In spite of the glowing reviews for the Ventilator and The Tall and Fat, I think I'll keep things simple and save my money for now.

I'm really not an organ player primarily and the folks I play with have always raved about the NE2 Hammond. And the couple of rehearsals with the NE5 got even better responses and it certainly suits my purposes.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

If this helps anyone, I did a demo of various combinations of the Lounsbery pedals, most an SK through a vent with either a tall and fat, an organ grinder, or straight vent not necessarily that order. It's here in wav format, might answer some questions.

While doing that demo I thought to myself they're all so close I'm not sure I need the tall and fat, the grinder is cool for some extreme effects, that should be enough. But everyone that got a tall and fat said the same thing, you don't notice it when you pit it in, but you sure do when you take it out after using it for a while. I didn't believe that at all, figured it was some kind of psychosomatic thing that everyone said so nobody found out their ear was worse than everybody elses. But I tried it, removed a presonis tube pre I always run through and subbed the tall and fat in it's place, set very subtle. Well, everybody is right, it's permanently there now.

HammondCV,M3,L101,C6,SK1,xk5,Farfisa Combo Compact,RolandVR09,JX8P,vk09,Sound Canvas,CrumarTraveler1,Rhodes suitcase73,Wurly200,HohnerD6,KorgMS20,CasioCZ-101,Yamaha CP25,TX7,mx61,CasioCZ-101,PX110

If this helps anyone, I did a demo of various combinations of the Lounsbery pedals, most an SK through a vent with either a tall and fat, an organ grinder, or straight vent not necessarily that order. It's here in wav format, might answer some questions.

While doing that demo I thought to myself they're all so close I'm not sure I need the tall and fat, the grinder is cool for some extreme effects, that should be enough. But everyone that got a tall and fat said the same thing, you don't notice it when you pit it in, but you sure do when you take it out after using it for a while. I didn't believe that at all, figured it was some kind of psychosomatic thing that everyone said so nobody found out their ear was worse than everybody elses. But I tried it, removed a presonis tube pre I always run through and subbed the tall and fat in it's place, set very subtle. Well, everybody is right, it's permanently there now.

Just to continue the discussion we've had on facebook, do you have the Vent Drive on in addition to the F&T or is it way dialed down?

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Barry, on the demo it was off when the grinder or the tall and fat was in. Now, at my studio and live, I have the vent drive all the way up,which is the way I always ran with it, and just a very minor amount of dirt on the tall and fat. I still prefer the drive on the vent to anything else I've ever used except a 6550 tube leslie. But that tall and fat is adding something so subtle it's hard to hear, but you definitely miss it when it aint there.

HammondCV,M3,L101,C6,SK1,xk5,Farfisa Combo Compact,RolandVR09,JX8P,vk09,Sound Canvas,CrumarTraveler1,Rhodes suitcase73,Wurly200,HohnerD6,KorgMS20,CasioCZ-101,Yamaha CP25,TX7,mx61,CasioCZ-101,PX110