Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2855954 - 05/18/17 06:53 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: AnotherScott]
BigJPatton Offline

Loc: LI
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Originally Posted By: BigJPatton
The Mojo sim and drive are great, the only thing better is a real spinner.

Have you had the opportunity to compare it to the Mojo going through a Vent?

No, why should I? a sim is a sim, nobody can tell the difference from one to the other on stage, and on stage is all that matters for a sim.

KC Island
#2856092 - 05/19/17 05:28 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: BigJPatton]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
I had a jazz organ trio gig last night in a restaurant and used my new Vent 2 for the first time with the Mojo dual manual. I thought it sounded great but didn't think anyone else would notice. Without me mentioning anything about getting new gear my 83-year old mom asked if I bought a new organ. She said it sounder different and better than what she heard on previous gigs. To be honest, I was surprised (and kind of impressed) that she noticed. So, some folks can hear the difference.

Yamaha C3, '62 A100, Leslie 145, CP4, Mojo, HX3 Module, Vent 2, Electro 4D, AX Synth, SSv3, Markbass CMD 121P, Chopped Leslie 145, RCF TT08As

#2856101 - 05/19/17 06:28 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: BigJPatton]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
The Mojo sim and drive are great, the only thing better is a real spinner.

Have you had the opportunity to compare it to the Mojo going through a Vent?

No, why should I?

I asked because the OP asked about comparing the Mojo sim to the Vent, and you answered that the only thing better than the Mojo sim is the real thing. So that could be interpreted to mean that think the Mojo's sim is as good as or better than the Vent. But if you haven't tried the Vent, then that would be a misreading.

#2856120 - 05/19/17 08:47 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: AnotherScott]
BigJPatton Offline

Loc: LI
Not really, he asked if the Mojo sim was adequate or does he need a Vent?

The answer is no, it's more than adequate, no Vent needed.

I hear what you're saying, without having a Vent I'm not in any position to make the call, so I'm making an assumption, but I think it's a fair one that nobody can provide any real proof to dispute, unless you think some subtle little difference from one sim to another really matters.

Personally I think we've long ago passed the need for external sims, all the good clones have everything a player needs in this department.

#2856125 - 05/19/17 09:17 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: BigJPatton]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

I'm making an assumption, but I think it's a fair one that nobody can provide any real proof to dispute, unless you think some subtle little difference from one sim to another really matters.

To the extent that there is any consensus forming, it seems to be that the Vent is better, though maybe not better enough to make it worth the expense and trouble. Yours was the only response that seemed to indicate no advantage to a Vent, which is why I wanted to clarify the context, so thanks for that.

A later message suggesting that the Mojo sim is essentially a subset of the Burn kind of addressed the question as well. I am among those who owned both, and was really tempted to stick with the Burn for all its additional versatility, but ultimately stuck with the Vent because, to me (in a mono, rock environment), the Vent just sounded better. I also preferred the Vent to the internal sim on the original Numa Organ which, similarly, many people said didn't really need a Vent. I found the difference quite substantial, in fact.

But yeah, lots of people presumably woudn't notice/care. And meanwhile, I've been playing my new Electro 5D and haven't yet even hooked up my Vent to it, and I still find it quite satisfying to play. I'll have to get around to trying the combo, and see whether or not I think a Vent is worth adding to that!

#2856127 - 05/19/17 09:23 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: AnotherScott]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

The Mojo sim is very good. The Vent is better. It has more sense of motion, and collapses to mono better. Both Vent and Mojo overdrive are very good, and you don't lose the Mojo OD when you disable the sim.

I set my basic OD on the Vent, and add from the Mojo when I need extra.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2856128 - 05/19/17 09:30 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: mate stubb]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
The Mojo sim is very good. The Vent is better. It has more sense of motion, and collapses to mono better. Both Vent and Mojo overdrive are very good, and you don't lose the Mojo OD when you disable the sim.

This is very similar to how I felt comparing the Numa Organ's sim to the Vent. The Vent had noticeably more 3-dimensionality to it, at least in mono (I don't think I compared them in stereo), and similarly, the Numa allowed you to use its OD even when you bypassed its rotary, and I got my favorite sound out of the combo when combining the OD from both units.

#2856130 - 05/19/17 09:44 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: Dlrshort]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
Originally Posted By: Dlrshort
Those of you who use this board do you find the Leslie sim on the board adequate or do you use the ventilator?

To answer your questions more directly:
- Yes, the Leslie sim on the Mojo is adequate (and then some)
- Yes, I use a ventilator because it sounds better then the internal sim

Yamaha C3, '62 A100, Leslie 145, CP4, Mojo, HX3 Module, Vent 2, Electro 4D, AX Synth, SSv3, Markbass CMD 121P, Chopped Leslie 145, RCF TT08As

#2856249 - 05/19/17 08:11 PM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: Al Quinn]
John Tweed Online   content

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: Al Quinn
Originally Posted By: Dlrshort
Those of you who use this board do you find the Leslie sim on the board adequate or do you use the ventilator?

To answer your questions more directly:
- Yes, the Leslie sim on the Mojo is adequate (and then some)
- Yes, I use a ventilator because it sounds better then the internal sim

+1

Having said that I'm tempted to try the Mojo sim out on a gig again, now that I've spent a while tweaking everything to the point where the difference is minimal. One less item, power supply and fewer cables to deal with.

Edited by John Tweed (05/19/17 08:15 PM)

#2856268 - 05/19/17 10:01 PM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: John Tweed]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

I can gig with either the Mojo sim or the Vent. If I had to fiddle at all with hooking up the vent each time, I wouldn't bother. I use it because it sits in a box prewired to my mixer, and I spend zero time setting it up.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner