Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2855159 - 05/13/17 03:15 PM Mojo dual keyboard questions
Dlrshort Offline

Loc: NJ
Those of you who use this board do you find the Leslie sim on the board adequate or do you use the ventilator? I'm assuming the vent is comparable. How have you found factory settings? Have most of you tweeked them with a laptop or editor? Thanks.

KC Island
#2855169 - 05/13/17 05:22 PM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: Dlrshort]
jpgxk3 Offline

Loc: L.I. NY.
Hi; I have a Mojo, about a year old, and I also own a Vent I. I have gone back and forth from using the Vent, then not using it with Mojo. I find that when using a solid state amp, the Vent gives the Mojo a richer sound and more in your face Leslie sound. The amp is a MS kp500 and I run that setup in stereo. I also have a great tube amp; 22h Leslie powered amp with a 15", and an Atlas driver. Basically a motor-less Leslie which I run the Mojo in mono and I do not need the Vent for that setup. Yes, I took the time to fine tune most of the parameters using the Editor from Crumar. Stock settings are nice, but being able to dial in your own organ is great; you can save 6 in the editor. I settled on what I like, and saved it in the Editor, then loaded that into the Mojo as my organ so I could unplug the editor and close up the back panel. Of course I have gone back and re-tweaked some settings form time to time. I used to haul a 145, but have given that exercise up a while ago. The MS kp500 gets it done as does my own tube amp. JG

#2855177 - 05/13/17 06:28 PM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: jpgxk3]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
I have a gemini and use its leslie sim. I'm at gig right now (on break). The first set I used the vent and the 2nd set I used the Gemini sim. I find that the vent gives the organ more presence and is more spatial however I like the gemini sim better in the upper octave. The vent is more piercing in the upper octave. The vent is better but not overwhelmingly so. It is the 3rd time that I have used the vent with the Gemini. In a loud setting it is less distinguishable between the two.

#2855179 - 05/13/17 07:22 PM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: Delaware Dave]
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I use the Mojo sim. Owned several Vents and the Mojo sim is so close that its not worth the extra $$$$ and set up hassle to get such a slight improvement in the sound.

The new Mojo with the improved keybed is the best clone I ever played. And I have played most of them.

Edited by HammondDave (05/13/17 07:23 PM)

#2855182 - 05/13/17 07:40 PM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: HammondDave]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Interesting that, so far, 3 of 3 feel the Vent is better (outside of the tube amp scenario), though not necessarily by enough to bother. One thing I'm curious about, though, is the specifics, because any such comparison may depend somewhat on other variables. For example, are you playing jazz or rock? Are you playing in mono or stereo (which at least jpgxk3 talked about)? IOW, I'm wondering if people's feelings about how much better the Vent seems (or whether it is better at all) varies with how it's being used.

#2855187 - 05/13/17 08:25 PM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: HammondDave]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: HammondDave
the Mojo sim is so close that its not worth the extra $$$$ and set up hassle to get such a slight improvement in the sound

I just recently purchased a Mojo from the classified section of this forum. Still working out a few things. I have owned an original Vent and a Burn. Although I have yet to take this out, I wouldn't be using an external sim. Not necessary from what I can tell so far, in stereo through a CPS SS3 with a sub. I have yet to try it in mono through my Leslie Studio 12. I wouldn't be using the internal leslie sim in mono, as I wouldn't be using a Vent in mono if I still had it.

#2855191 - 05/13/17 09:58 PM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: davedoerfler]
zoooombiex Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Ohio
FWIW, I think they're pretty close on clean settings, but much prefer the vent's drive.

#2855192 - 05/13/17 10:22 PM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: zoooombiex]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

On my Mojo 61 I use the Cabinet On but Stopped.
Would the Vent make any difference when it's Stopped?

#2855194 - 05/13/17 10:44 PM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: zoooombiex]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: zoooombiex
FWIW, I think they're pretty close on clean settings, but much prefer the vent's drive.

I think that's often what gives jazz and rock players a different perspective on what rotary sim is best.

#2855202 - 05/14/17 04:08 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: AnotherScott]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
I have a Mojo and recently bought a Vent 2. To my ears, the Mojo internal sim is very good but the Vent 2 is better. Yes, I've tweaked the Mojo internal sim using a mouse and monitor -- a laptop is not needed. The Vent 2 is more tweakable and I like it's overdrive better. The Vent overdrive has a more organic, authentic, warm sound.

I think Scott makes a good point about the type of music being played. When playing jazz (or blues or R&B) the organ is very exposed and I can hear more nuance. I'm looking forward to my first jazz gig with the Mojo/Vent combo which is coming up on Thursday. If I were playing rock I think the difference between the sims would be less noticeable, but I might want to use the Vent anyway for it's overdrive.

Yamaha C3, '62 A100, Leslie 145, CP4, Mojo, HX3 Module, Vent 2, Electro 4D, AX Synth, SSv3, Markbass CMD 121P, Chopped Leslie 145, RCF TT08As

#2855203 - 05/14/17 04:11 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: AnotherScott]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Yamaha C3, '62 A100, Leslie 145, CP4, Mojo, HX3 Module, Vent 2, Electro 4D, AX Synth, SSv3, Markbass CMD 121P, Chopped Leslie 145, RCF TT08As

#2855228 - 05/14/17 07:17 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: Al Quinn]
Barryjam Offline

Loc: Auburn, Northern CA
Then to add complexity, there are those who are adding an Organ Grinder or Tall & Fat prior to the Vent, even with Mojo. Discussions of this on Clonewheel group on Facebook.

Home: Steinway L, Bob Schleicher A100 chop, 142 Leslie.

Gigs: Yamaha CP4, Nord Electro 4D 61, Ventilator II. Sound System: A&H QUsb mixer, Crown & QSC amps, JBL SRX-700 speakers

#2855229 - 05/14/17 07:34 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: Barryjam]
Dlrshort Offline

How is a Leslie connected? I looked at the owners manual PDF online and I didn't see an actual Leslie connector on the back of the board.

#2855231 - 05/14/17 08:09 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: Al Quinn]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Al Quinn
..... If I were playing rock I think the difference between the sims would be less noticeable, but I might want to use the Vent anyway for it's overdrive.

For me it's not so much the overdrive as it is the cabinet simulation. For me the spatial 3D effect is the difference (as well as the overdrive). That's kind of the first thing I immediately notice. However the one thing I like better about the Gemini sim is how it treats the last octave. It appears (to me) to be a little fuller, fatter, less piercing from the G to the C in the last octave. If I'm rating them it would be: 1) Viscount; 2) Vent; 3) Mojo/Gemini. They are all in the upper echelon, I think the story line is you can't go wrong with any of them. Of course you can only get the Viscount by purchasing the entire package. If the Viscount leslie sim were available separately I would purchase it.

#2855248 - 05/14/17 11:15 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: Delaware Dave]
Dlrshort Offline

Wanted to pose this question again: can you connect to a Leslie with the mojo?

#2855249 - 05/14/17 11:18 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: Dlrshort]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

There are a pair of 1/4 outputs on the Mojo. There is no 11 pin leslie connector. If you go out mono into a leslie pre amp then yes, you can use a leslie.

#2855329 - 05/15/17 06:30 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: davedoerfler]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
There are a pair of 1/4 outputs on the Mojo. There is no 11 pin leslie connector. If you go out mono into a leslie pre amp then yes, you can use a leslie.

Seems obvious but just in case, in addition to the above you must bypass the leslie sim on the Mojo.

#2855347 - 05/15/17 09:15 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: Delaware Dave]
BigJPatton Offline

Loc: LI
The Mojo sim and drive are great, the only thing better is a real spinner.

#2855350 - 05/15/17 09:26 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: Delaware Dave]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Delaware Dave

Seems obvious but just in case, in addition to the above you must bypass the leslie sim on the Mojo.

right Dave. To provide further clarity, what I meant was switching the output assignments to mono, which automatically bypasses the sim, as opposed to just plugging in a jack without changing the output assignments

#2855361 - 05/15/17 10:23 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: davedoerfler]
whannah Offline

Loc: Livermore, CA
I use the internal sim on my mojo, but I got to try a vent awhile back and I was really surprised by how beefier the lower octaves were with the vent. Much better for left hand bass when the pedal tones aren't used. There was a huge difference all around to my ear, but I couldn't really say one was better. The convenience factor of the on-board sim makes all the difference for me.

#2855366 - 05/15/17 10:48 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: davedoerfler]
Dlrshort Offline

Originally Posted By: Delaware Dave

right Dave. To provide further clarity, what I meant was switching the output assignments to mono, which automatically bypasses the sim, as opposed to just plugging in a jack without changing the output assignments

Thanks, but just to clarify, settings must be changed with either the Mojo Editor or a usb connection/monitor to switch to mono, whereas running a 1/4 inch out of the mono channel only will not bypass the internal leslie sim? Reason I am asking is that sometimes depending upon my amp/ PA set up I will use Mono only.

Edited by Dlrshort (05/15/17 10:51 AM)

#2855411 - 05/15/17 02:17 PM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: Dlrshort]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

You can turn the Mojo dual manual Leslie sim on or off with a couple of button presses.

#2855458 - 05/15/17 06:02 PM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: Al Quinn]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

The sim on the Mojo 61 I have might actually be a deal breaker for me. I love the CV on the Mojo... but my former clone was a Numa and I loved the sim on it.

The Mojo is quite a bit different. I really have to pump some bass into the Mojo to get adequate left hand bass and when I turn the sim on it seems to be very affected in the lower register.

I don't like to have the tone altered that much by the sim. The Numa /Key B was very good at not doing this. So the Mojo is different.... it's somewhat of an adjustment to me in a major way.

I don't want to come off as being bitching and moaning.... but I think I got very used to the Numa and I think that my ears hear more of the approach that Key B has.

A lot of people are liking the new K Bey sim. The old one was pretty good too.

#2855477 - 05/15/17 07:56 PM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: LX88]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: LX88
I don't want to come off as being bitching and moaning....

PianoBanana

#2855695 - 05/16/17 08:59 PM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: davedoerfler]
Mitch Towne Offline
Gold Member

A repost from Clonewheel group. Figured it would be useful here as well.

Recently, I have been experimenting with a feature that the Crumar Mojo has that none of the other clones do (or, at least, not in the quantity that the Mojo does): different tonewheel sets. Some clones give you two or three different ones to choose from. Some only give you one.

The Mojo gives you 22 different organs to pick from. 22! These are not EQ tricks, either. These are 22 different organs that were actually modeled based on their tonewheel readings. Some are really full and powerful, some are more hollow. Some have strong bass, others really cut through a mix.

Now, why is this such a cool feature? I mean, don't you pretty much pick your favorite one and then never change?

This is pretty much what I have been doing for a long time. A lot of people, including myself, really like the tonewheel set I created by modeling my own 1956 B3. It is a really ballsy, full sounding organ with a lot of low end that sounds great through a Leslie. Crumar started including it in the software a few years ago and I get emails all the time from people who use it.

So, why would I use another set?

Because not all amplification systems are the same.

I really love my Motion Sound KP500 amplifier. However, I have never really been happy with how the Mojo sounded through it. It didn't matter what I used for a Leslie simulation - Mojo internal sim, Ventilator, Burn, Lester G, etc. It still sounded really midrangy and forceful and somewhat harsh on the top end. It was frustrating because the Motion Sound sounds SO GOOD with anything else I run through it!

After getting the Tall and Fat, I decided to dive into getting the Mojo / Motion Sound combo to sound better. Since the T&F isn't a stereo pedal, using the Mojo internal sim was out. I have a Burn but haven't ever fallen in love with it (sorry, Guido), so the Ventilator was my only option. After tweaking and messing around with various settings using my B3 as the tonwheel set, I decided to really take the time to investigate the other sets that I had long dismissed.

Suddenly, the harshness and midrange heavy tone went away and there was more transparency in the sound when I used one of the less full sounding tonewheel sets (1965 B3, 1965 C3, 1964 A100). Additionally, using the "Cut 3" Generator Shaping parameter (another unique Crumar feature) rounded out the top end and greatly improved the sound!

So, the TL;DR version of my post is this: If you like how your Mojo sounds through some amplification systems and not others...try changing the organ you are using. It could make a huge difference.

#2855732 - 05/17/17 06:00 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: Mitch Towne]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Mitch Towne
Since the T&F isn't a stereo pedal, using the Mojo internal sim was out. I have a Burn but haven't ever fallen in love with it (sorry, Guido), so the Ventilator was my only option.

Is the Mojo internal sim unlike anything you can get from the Burn?

#2855782 - 05/17/17 09:11 AM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: AnotherScott]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Since the T&F isn't a stereo pedal, using the Mojo internal sim was out. I have a Burn but haven't ever fallen in love with it (sorry, Guido), so the Ventilator was my only option.

Is the Mojo internal sim unlike anything you can get from the Burn?

No, they are similar. But you could use the Burn after the T&F if you liked it.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2855907 - 05/17/17 06:43 PM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: BigJPatton]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: BigJPatton
The Mojo sim and drive are great, the only thing better is a real spinner.

Have you had the opportunity to compare it to the Mojo going through a Vent?

#2855916 - 05/17/17 08:59 PM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: Mitch Towne]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

as a new Mojo owner I found this post to be very useful, Mitch. thu

#2855922 - 05/17/17 10:22 PM Re: Mojo dual keyboard questions [Re: davedoerfler]
Mitch Towne Offline
Gold Member

as a new Mojo owner I found this post to be very useful, Mitch. thu

Awesome!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner