Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab #2854994 05/12/17 01:35 PM
Dave Ferris Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
For Rhodes guys -stereo from one cabinet. From Chicago Electric Piano Co.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdAz7wsLL_c

KC Island
Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Dave Ferris] #2854997 05/12/17 01:44 PM
M
Morrisseysixman Offline
M
That's a great improvement. My first Rhodes had the satellite speakers and they were so bulky. Having one that delivers stereo is way better.

Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Dave Ferris] #2854998 05/12/17 01:45 PM
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
That is awesome!!! Wonder what they cost?

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.steveowensandsummertime.com
www.jimmyweaver.com
Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: BluesKeys] #2855009 05/12/17 02:23 PM
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Sick.

Eric
Website
Rhodes Mk 1 Stage 73; Hammond M3; Kurzweil SP-6; Roland FP-4, Juno-106; Nord E3-73; Studiologic Sledge; DSI Mopho KB; Moog Minitaur; Stuff
Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: BluesKeys] #2855020 05/12/17 03:14 PM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: BluesKeys
That is awesome!!! Wonder what they cost?

message them through REVERB and they will give you a quote

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: davedoerfler] #2855055 05/12/17 07:10 PM
R
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
R
This might show my ignorance but isn't the cab for any suitcase model stereo? IOW a single cabinet with two speakers and two channels of amplification, like this one? I don't remember seeing Rhodes with two speaker cabs set apart from each other.

Obviously this is different, being an external speaker not meant to mate with the Rhodes keyboard body. But it doesn't seem like a completely new invention.

I owned two Rhodes stage models way back in the day, but rarely played a suitcase – I thought they could do the stereo tremolo though. Have I lost too many brain cells? I'm not trying to disparage this product in any way – just curious where it gets it's wow factor from.

Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Reezekeys] #2855057 05/12/17 07:34 PM
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Originally Posted By: Reezekeys
This might show my ignorance but isn't the cab for any suitcase model stereo? IOW a single cabinet with two speakers and two channels of amplification, like this one? I don't remember seeing Rhodes with two speaker cabs set apart from each other.

Obviously this is different, being an external speaker not meant to mate with the Rhodes keyboard body. But it doesn't seem like a completely new invention.

I owned two Rhodes stage models way back in the day, but rarely played a suitcase – I thought they could do the stereo tremolo though. Have I lost too many brain cells? I'm not trying to disparage this product in any way – just curious where it gets it's wow factor from.

The Rhodes "Stage" models do not have a preamp built-in; the only audio you have is the mono signal off the harp, and a simple tone/volume control. The "Suitcase" models have various preamps built-in (most people prefer the so-called "Petersen" variety); all the preamps take in the mono signal and output a stereo tremolo signal. And there are some rarer "Satellite" Stage models that have the built-in preamp, but the amp/speakers are remote -- they don't need to be the keyboard support, too, because the Stages have their own legs.

This product is housed in the cabinet of one of those "Satellite" amps.

The thing with the Rhodes stereo preamps is that they are part of the piano, not part of the amp. It looks like this custom design places the preamp, too, inside the cabinet, which would make it useable by any model of Rhodes. That's the thing with Fender's "Suitcase" design -- pianos and amps are mated together. This way, you've got a standalone stereo amp that can be mated with any Rhodes model.

No, it's not revolutionary by any means. Just more versatile and compact.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Korg Vox Continental, Korg SV-1 73, Barbetta Sona 31 Pro-Combo
Fender Rhodes '73 Mark I Stage

Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Brad Kaenel] #2855065 05/12/17 09:22 PM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Brad Kaenel
The thing with the Rhodes stereo preamps is that they are part of the piano, not part of the amp. It looks like this custom design places the preamp, too, inside the cabinet, which would make it useable by any model of Rhodes.

Hey Brad -
I'm not seeing that at all, the piano being used in the demo has a suitcase preamp on the rail. Watch the video again and tell me what you think.

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: davedoerfler] #2855068 05/12/17 10:12 PM
ClavAnother Offline
I think the satellite speakers were called the Janus System and were used with the suitcase preamp in a stage model.

*edit, here it is

Last edited by ClavAnother; 05/12/17 10:14 PM.
Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: ClavAnother] #2855071 05/12/17 10:25 PM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: ClavAnother
I think the satellite speakers were called the Janus System and were used with the suitcase preamp in a stage model.

Right. So one needed to purchase a pre amp rail for their Stage Rhodes to use this system, best I can recall.

Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: ClavAnother] #2855073 05/12/17 11:02 PM
R
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
R

Those look very different from the Fender "Super Satellite" speakers I'm coming across in my googling:

Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Reezekeys] #2855093 05/13/17 12:46 AM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member

Those look very different from the Fender "Super Satellite" speakers I'm coming across in my googling:
That's the cabinet that is used in the video. twothumbs

Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Dave Ferris] #2855097 05/13/17 01:25 AM
Steve Nathan Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ah memories love
In the 70s, on tour with Leblanc & Carr we carried 4 of those cabs!
I put JBL 15s in the bottom two, and 8" mids and hi freq horns in the top two. Selectable crossovered with an effects loop that could be full range or just above the crossover point.
Paul Rivera (who was still a store tech at the time) built me a custom pre that had all the guts of a suitcase pre plus some special sauce. The sound was "YUGE" laugh

"What's the point of living longer if you have to give up everything that makes life worth living to do so?"
Einstein (supposedly)

www.stevenathanmusic.com
https://www.musiciansforpensionsecurity.com/
Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Steve Nathan] #2855099 05/13/17 02:04 AM
R
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
R
Steve, I would not have wanted to be doing load-ins & outs on that tour, ouch man! (Note the "shipping weight" figures in the ad... and that's with stock components!) I'm sure your Rhodes sounded awesome too- was that before the "Dyno" mod days? I'm imagining blood coming out of ears when playing high notes through the cabs with the horns...

Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Reezekeys] #2855105 05/13/17 03:41 AM
ClavAnother Offline

Yes, that is the earlier Mark I version of the suitcase preamp in that stage piano. The one I posted was from the Mark II era.

Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: ClavAnother] #2855119 05/13/17 11:48 AM
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
It's cool to see that Garth found a new gig after the Wayne's World franchise dried up.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
-Mark Twain
Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: davedoerfler] #2855161 05/13/17 07:51 PM
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
Originally Posted By: Brad Kaenel
The thing with the Rhodes stereo preamps is that they are part of the piano, not part of the amp. It looks like this custom design places the preamp, too, inside the cabinet, which would make it useable by any model of Rhodes.

Hey Brad -
I'm not seeing that at all, the piano being used in the demo has a suitcase preamp on the rail. Watch the video again and tell me what you think.

Dave, yah, I'm wrong; they only said the custom *amps* were in the cab, not the preamp. And the piano in the demo does have a Petersen preamp in the name rail, though I can't tell if it's a Stage with legs, or a Suitcase.

I jumped to the wrong conclusion that they were offering this amp for sale separately, which wouldn't make sense if the preamp wasn't in the cab. But on second listen, it's just an optional accessory with their restorations, so it follows that they would give you a new preamped name rail if they were restoring a Stage model to go with this cab.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Korg Vox Continental, Korg SV-1 73, Barbetta Sona 31 Pro-Combo
Fender Rhodes '73 Mark I Stage

Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Dave Ferris] #2855178 05/13/17 11:12 PM
Steve Nathan Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quote:
was that before the "Dyno" mod days?

Way

"What's the point of living longer if you have to give up everything that makes life worth living to do so?"
Einstein (supposedly)

www.stevenathanmusic.com
https://www.musiciansforpensionsecurity.com/
Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Steve Nathan] #2855188 05/14/17 12:31 AM
davedoerfler Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Steve Nathan
Quote:
was that before the "Dyno" mod days?

Way

thank goodness. cool

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner