Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2854994 - 05/12/17 09:35 AM 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
For Rhodes guys -stereo from one cabinet. From Chicago Electric Piano Co.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdAz7wsLL_c

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5

KC Island
#2854997 - 05/12/17 09:44 AM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Dave Ferris]
Morrisseysixman Offline

Loc: Midwest
That's a great improvement. My first Rhodes had the satellite speakers and they were so bulky. Having one that delivers stereo is way better.

#2854998 - 05/12/17 09:45 AM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Dave Ferris]
BluesKeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Raleigh, NC
That is awesome!!! Wonder what they cost?

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho
NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT
www.steveowensandsummertime.com
www.jimmyweaver.com
www.handsofmassage.com

#2855009 - 05/12/17 10:23 AM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: BluesKeys]
MAJUSCULE Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Sick.

#2855020 - 05/12/17 11:14 AM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: BluesKeys]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: BluesKeys
That is awesome!!! Wonder what they cost?

message them through REVERB and they will give you a quote
Moe

#2855055 - 05/12/17 03:10 PM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: davedoerfler]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
This might show my ignorance but isn't the cab for any suitcase model stereo? IOW a single cabinet with two speakers and two channels of amplification, like this one? I don't remember seeing Rhodes with two speaker cabs set apart from each other.

Obviously this is different, being an external speaker not meant to mate with the Rhodes keyboard body. But it doesn't seem like a completely new invention.

I owned two Rhodes stage models way back in the day, but rarely played a suitcase – I thought they could do the stereo tremolo though. Have I lost too many brain cells? I'm not trying to disparage this product in any way – just curious where it gets it's wow factor from.

#2855057 - 05/12/17 03:34 PM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Reezekeys]
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: Reezekeys
This might show my ignorance but isn't the cab for any suitcase model stereo? IOW a single cabinet with two speakers and two channels of amplification, like this one? I don't remember seeing Rhodes with two speaker cabs set apart from each other.

Obviously this is different, being an external speaker not meant to mate with the Rhodes keyboard body. But it doesn't seem like a completely new invention.

I owned two Rhodes stage models way back in the day, but rarely played a suitcase – I thought they could do the stereo tremolo though. Have I lost too many brain cells? I'm not trying to disparage this product in any way – just curious where it gets it's wow factor from.

The Rhodes "Stage" models do not have a preamp built-in; the only audio you have is the mono signal off the harp, and a simple tone/volume control. The "Suitcase" models have various preamps built-in (most people prefer the so-called "Petersen" variety); all the preamps take in the mono signal and output a stereo tremolo signal. And there are some rarer "Satellite" Stage models that have the built-in preamp, but the amp/speakers are remote -- they don't need to be the keyboard support, too, because the Stages have their own legs.

This product is housed in the cabinet of one of those "Satellite" amps.

The thing with the Rhodes stereo preamps is that they are part of the piano, not part of the amp. It looks like this custom design places the preamp, too, inside the cabinet, which would make it useable by any model of Rhodes. That's the thing with Fender's "Suitcase" design -- pianos and amps are mated together. This way, you've got a standalone stereo amp that can be mated with any Rhodes model.

No, it's not revolutionary by any means. Just more versatile and compact.

#2855065 - 05/12/17 05:22 PM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Brad Kaenel]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Brad Kaenel
The thing with the Rhodes stereo preamps is that they are part of the piano, not part of the amp. It looks like this custom design places the preamp, too, inside the cabinet, which would make it useable by any model of Rhodes.

Hey Brad -
I'm not seeing that at all, the piano being used in the demo has a suitcase preamp on the rail. Watch the video again and tell me what you think.
Moe

#2855068 - 05/12/17 06:12 PM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: davedoerfler]
ClavAnother Offline

I think the satellite speakers were called the Janus System and were used with the suitcase preamp in a stage model.

*edit, here it is

Edited by ClavAnother (05/12/17 06:14 PM)

#2855071 - 05/12/17 06:25 PM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: ClavAnother]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: ClavAnother
I think the satellite speakers were called the Janus System and were used with the suitcase preamp in a stage model.

Right. So one needed to purchase a pre amp rail for their Stage Rhodes to use this system, best I can recall.
Moe

#2855073 - 05/12/17 07:02 PM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: ClavAnother]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Those look very different from the Fender "Super Satellite" speakers I'm coming across in my googling:

#2855093 - 05/12/17 08:46 PM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Reezekeys]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Those look very different from the Fender "Super Satellite" speakers I'm coming across in my googling:
That's the cabinet that is used in the video. twothumbs
Moe

#2855097 - 05/12/17 09:25 PM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Dave Ferris]
Steve Nathan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Nashville, TN

Ah memories love
In the 70s, on tour with Leblanc & Carr we carried 4 of those cabs!
I put JBL 15s in the bottom two, and 8" mids and hi freq horns in the top two. Selectable crossovered with an effects loop that could be full range or just above the crossover point.
Paul Rivera (who was still a store tech at the time) built me a custom pre that had all the guts of a suitcase pre plus some special sauce. The sound was "YUGE" laugh

www.stevenathanmusic.com
https://www.musiciansforpensionsecurity.com/

#2855099 - 05/12/17 10:04 PM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Steve Nathan]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Steve, I would not have wanted to be doing load-ins & outs on that tour, ouch man! (Note the "shipping weight" figures in the ad... and that's with stock components!) I'm sure your Rhodes sounded awesome too- was that before the "Dyno" mod days? I'm imagining blood coming out of ears when playing high notes through the cabs with the horns...

#2855105 - 05/12/17 11:41 PM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Reezekeys]
ClavAnother Offline

Yes, that is the earlier Mark I version of the suitcase preamp in that stage piano. The one I posted was from the Mark II era.

#2855119 - 05/13/17 07:48 AM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: ClavAnother]
Wastrel Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
It's cool to see that Garth found a new gig after the Wayne's World franchise dried up.

#2855161 - 05/13/17 03:51 PM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: davedoerfler]
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
Originally Posted By: Brad Kaenel
The thing with the Rhodes stereo preamps is that they are part of the piano, not part of the amp. It looks like this custom design places the preamp, too, inside the cabinet, which would make it useable by any model of Rhodes.

Hey Brad -
I'm not seeing that at all, the piano being used in the demo has a suitcase preamp on the rail. Watch the video again and tell me what you think.

Dave, yah, I'm wrong; they only said the custom *amps* were in the cab, not the preamp. And the piano in the demo does have a Petersen preamp in the name rail, though I can't tell if it's a Stage with legs, or a Suitcase.

I jumped to the wrong conclusion that they were offering this amp for sale separately, which wouldn't make sense if the preamp wasn't in the cab. But on second listen, it's just an optional accessory with their restorations, so it follows that they would give you a new preamped name rail if they were restoring a Stage model to go with this cab.

#2855178 - 05/13/17 07:12 PM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Dave Ferris]
Steve Nathan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
Quote:
was that before the "Dyno" mod days?

Way

www.stevenathanmusic.com
https://www.musiciansforpensionsecurity.com/

#2855188 - 05/13/17 08:31 PM Re: 1975 Rhodes Custom 2x12 Stereophonic Satellite Cab [Re: Steve Nathan]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Steve Nathan
Quote:
was that before the "Dyno" mod days?

Way

thank goodness. cool
Moe

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner