Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2854568 - 05/10/17 09:45 AM OT - Retirement.
RABid Offline
10k Club

Well, Iíve been contemplating retirement from my day job. People keep telling me that I would be bored, but with music, photography, the blog I never started, etcÖ there is plenty to keep me busy. As any good musician would do, I crunched the numbers to determine the difference between retiring now and waiting three years. After taxes, the difference would buy me a nice keyboard per year, every year. No, not Steinway nice, but more like Rev 2 nice. Then I told my boss I would stay 3 years. (Some of you have seen my keyboard collection addiction.) I've had my eye on an RD2000.

Last weekend I was busy at home. I enrolled in online bass lessons because I always wanted to learn to play better. I enrolled in online drum lessons because I had never studied the rudiments. As I drummer Iím totally self-taught. I was also trying to work on some articles for my future blog, lamenting because I had not done any photography for months (iPhone does not count), and was trying to find the time to take a stained glass class. At that point it hit me. Monday I went in and told the boss Iím retiring for my birthday, the end of October.

So, in reality, Iím retiring from two things, day job and keyboard collecting. This may be the push I need to start selling off my collection and reduce to a Kronos and a Virus. Hell, if I can overcome GAS I can really live on less. A LOT less.

KC Island
#2854572 - 05/10/17 09:59 AM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: RABid]
Barryjam Offline

Loc: Auburn, Northern CA
In retirement, I've never been bored. Chops have improved. GAS still occurs but so does the desire to simplify and sell off stuff I'm not using.

Congratulations!

Home: Steinway L, Bob Schleicher A100 chop, 142 Leslie.

Gigs: Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo 61, Ventilator II. Lounsbury H&F. A&H QUsb mixer, Crown & QSC amps, JBL SRX-700 series speakers

#2854573 - 05/10/17 10:08 AM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: RABid]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Retirement is a huge decision. But, if the difference in monthly income isn't too significant, go for it.

Time certainly is not waiting around. As a retiree, you get to make your own schedule and dive into your interests, hobbies and passion. You might even discover new things.

Nowadays, depending on skillset and location, retirees stand a better chance of picking up a lucrative full or part-time job thsn someone actively seeking employment. The assumption is that a retired person has knowledge, wisdom and will be dependable.

The adjustment will take some time. It will also allow focusing on that which is most important. Maybe you will downsize or consolidate the gear collection or use it differently.

That Roland RD-2000 is a nice DP. I'm curious to see and hear the Korg GrandStage. But, I could certainly see a DP as my final KB purchase in retirement.

I've still got quite a few years left to work before retirement. So, I live vicariously through those who are already eligible. smile cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2854576 - 05/10/17 10:22 AM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: ProfD]
lightbg Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Rockaway,NJ,UNITED STATES
I went through my board of ed. minutes in January to retire as of July 1. 31 days left, and I've filled my private teaching schedule and added some studio time for unfinished projects.

Can't wait!

Jake

"It needs a Hammond"

#2854582 - 05/10/17 10:33 AM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: lightbg]
matted stump Online   content
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Two years in, it's still the best decision I ever made. Stress and worry was killing me in my job.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2854586 - 05/10/17 10:53 AM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: matted stump]
stillearning Offline

I retired about two years ago, and do not look back. I teach keys part time at the local School of Rock, play in bands, and consult on occasion. I'm often as busy as when I was working, but now it's mostly on my terms. No complaints.

#2854587 - 05/10/17 11:00 AM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: stillearning]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
My pop retired at 65. He was great for about 3 months. Then started feeling a little edgy, not sure what to do with himself. But he worked it out, found part time job, took up some hobbies, etc. I'm at the very earliest 10 years out, at the latest 20. I already have idea of what I'd like to do. Is that bad? Nah! smile
Congratulations and enjoy!

#2854588 - 05/10/17 11:05 AM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Barryjam Offline

Loc: Auburn, Northern CA
"final KB purchase in retirement"

Or so you think. Sorry, cannot resist.

Home: Steinway L, Bob Schleicher A100 chop, 142 Leslie.

Gigs: Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo 61, Ventilator II. Lounsbury H&F. A&H QUsb mixer, Crown & QSC amps, JBL SRX-700 series speakers

#2854590 - 05/10/17 11:08 AM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: Barryjam]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
It's coming soon for me, think I can swing it...I'm 63 in August.
I will go to 66-67 though if possible. Preparing now with thinking about income / health Ins. (?) / expenses

#2854597 - 05/10/17 11:39 AM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: Legatoboy]
retrokeys Offline
Platinum Member

Going into my third year. First year I sort of missed work (well actually some of the people at work) then..... I wonder now how I ever had enough time to hold down a job.

#2854606 - 05/10/17 12:12 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: retrokeys]
StanC Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Connecticut USA
66 next week. Planning on going to 70 just due to the difference in SS bennies. But meeting with a financial adviser this weekend. That may change! w00t

#2854609 - 05/10/17 12:21 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: retrokeys]
DarkyLord Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: retrokeys
First year I sort of missed work (well actually some of the people at work) then..... I wonder now how I ever had enough time to hold down a job.

Going on 1.5 years and same here. Eye opener for me this year was realization that my work friends were...work friends; even those I felt closest to. Being a manager/leader type for my last 5 or so years blinded me somewhat. A little sad but no ill feelings. I did however make a decision that I no longer wanted to join my "friends" during work related social events. And it turns out that's all there ever really was. I'm in my "moving on" phase and the same thing happened when I left California years ago. I'm also not into reunions or hanging out with fellow retirees. No Del Boca Vista for me. Python

I stay extremely busy most of the time which is a must for me. Just wish it didn't include this week's project of removing/replacing silicone caulk sick . No matter I need to stay busy to be happy, and now I fulfill that need with useful activities to me(and my wife) and fun stuff.

As to the important stuff I never considered myself a "collector", but I did know the day would come when I'd finally have time to really explore these cool toys and work on getting better. That day is every day now. I'm not getting rid of anything as this is what I worked for and it brings me happiness. As for new stuff I find very little that gives me GAS, mostly because of what I already have. But when I do really want something I'll do what I've always done- find a way.

#2854612 - 05/10/17 12:29 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: DarkyLord]
sleepngbear Offline
Gold Member

Loc: RI
I'm about three years away from possible retirement -- I'll be 62 and eligible for SS -- but in reality, there's still about 7 years left on the step kids' school loans, so I really don't see any way of hanging it up before then. But, as has been noted already, the stress is literally killing me, but not to the point that disability is an option. I'm actually between jobs right now (consulting sucks!), so I'm getting a taste, and the longer I'm out, the more I don't want to go back. I know I would find plenty to do to keep from getting bored, starting with selling unused gear and motorcycle parts from 7 bikes ago and several in between, which if you could see my garage could be a job in itself. But the numbers don't quite add up yet. Maybe in three years ...

I'm truly happy for you, and anybody else who's able to cut that cord and enjoy life without day-job stress. Good for you all, and just please say a prayer for me that I make it long enough to join you! smile

#2854614 - 05/10/17 12:32 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: DarkyLord]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia, US
15 years to go, and I'll be 60. Hoping I've played my cards such that I won't have to keep at it for $s sake.

Don't let the door hit me in the ass. grin

Between hanging with my family, music, reading, enjoying nature, and my Steam library, there's zero room for boredom.

#2854618 - 05/10/17 12:56 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: johnchop]
Frightful Mike Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I retired from one time consuming job to take care of Mum (91). I am still very busy, but it's all at home basically and the phone is now silent. sleep

#2854624 - 05/10/17 01:31 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: Frightful Mike]
DarkyLord Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Almost forgot... congrats RABid! cheers

#2854626 - 05/10/17 01:51 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: DarkyLord]
rockinroller Offline

Loc: Motown
Lots of folks measure their value substantially by their respective jobs. Unless you are of the opinion that your job is nothing more than generating an income in which to support you/your family, there's usually a fair amount of "trauma" that occurs after one retires, with most of that rooted in suddenly being stripped of the source of much of your value--self perceived or otherwise.

Seems to me if you look forward to going to work at least a fair amount of time, you should continue that as long as you are physically able (or until they tell you to leave, whichever comes first). That job of yours might actually be a big part of who you are.

Edited by rockinroller (05/10/17 01:52 PM)

#2854640 - 05/10/17 02:52 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: rockinroller]
Sospiri Offline

Loc: Crete, Greece
I'm 80 now and retired at 65. Two days before I was due to go, the employer panicked and asked if I would work on a consultancy basis online. Best thing I ever did. The first two years I was making far more money, working on my terms, and only averaging two days a week. Over the next six years I gradually reduced it to zero hours a month and lived purely on pensions.
I've persuaded many friends to take retirement a.s.a.p. and despite some initial resistance, everyone has said it was the best thing they ever did and wondered how they ever found time for a day job. In short, if you can afford to do it then do it. Every year the earth revolves faster and faster, and before you know it, your retirement years will be over.

#2854673 - 05/10/17 06:56 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: Sospiri]
tfort Offline

My father retired when he was eligible, and then kept working as a consultant to make money for future toys and trips as well as just being generally more financially sound. He liked his work okay, but if left little time for other things, like visiting the grandkids.

Not long after retiring, he found out he had cancer and passed away relatively soon thereafter, without having a chance to enjoy the toys (a boat) he had bought, or travel with his wife.

I guess we all know it in theory, but the opportunity cost of continuing to work is not having that time to do something else, and you never know when your time is up. I am planning on retiring about as soon as I'm financially able, rather than keeping on working to be as financially secure as possible.

A friend of mine retired when he was 50. I asked him how he'd managed it, and he said it was all about keeping his life simple, and therefore his expenses down-- he didn't need a big house, fancy car, etc. I think about that sometimes and wonder if I should have changed priorities earlier in life to be able to retire sooner.

#2854674 - 05/10/17 07:03 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: tfort]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I thought I was going have to retire in about 2 years, but certain things have changed and now it looks like I will be able to go another 5. FWIW, I have known many people who became busier after they "retired."

#2854676 - 05/10/17 07:50 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: retrokeys]
B3bluesman59 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: La Quinta,CA
I retired from the fulltime/big time music biz 19 years ago...and have never looked back. Some wise investments in tech and real estate years ago along with a 401K, social security, and medicare made it possible. I live in area that has many venues to work and I do a solo vocal/keys act and also have a four piece classic rock/blues band. Still leaves plenty of time for golf and travel. I miss many of the people I used to work with but not the constant travel and stress that came from dealing with many of the superstar egos of my former job. Everyone must make their own decision on when to retire but if you can swing it now, do it now while you are still healthy. You wont regret it.

#2854691 - 05/10/17 09:37 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: B3bluesman59]
Desert Rat Offline

Loc: Arizona, U.S.
Wow! I have been retired for 10 years now, but as of next week I re-join the workaday crowd. Perhaps GAS was too much for me. Fortunately, the new work will allow for flexible time to do what I enjoy and, with all thing being equal, I do plan to fully retire in 5. I agree that retirement sometimes makes your life's schedule fuller than it was when you were working.

#2854762 - 05/11/17 08:29 AM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: Desert Rat]
RudyS Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
32 here, so still a long way to go!

Confrats Rabid!

Stuff: Nord Electro 3, Casio PX5s, DSI Mopho keys, Nord Lead A1, Korg N5, Korg Poly 61, QSC K10 and a Shure SM58.

#2854840 - 05/11/17 01:08 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: RudyS]
Al Quinn Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
I retired three years ago and am never bored. I know it's a cliche, but I don't know how I had time to work.

Yamaha C3, '62 A100, Leslie 145, CP4, Mojo, HX3 Module, Vent 2, Electro 4D, AX Synth, SSv3, Markbass CMD 121P, Chopped Leslie 145, RCF TT08As

#2854852 - 05/11/17 02:00 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: Al Quinn]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Two years away from retirement. I'm 57 now.

I've spent the last few years repositioning my life to make for an easy pivot: e.g. moving to Florida, getting the kids out of college and into real jobs, devoting more time to playing in bands, setting up a substitute income stream, consolidating stuff, getting all my major GAS out of the way, etc.

No consulting or other job for me. I'm tired of working for a living. I want to play.

Keys: Nord Stage 2, Piano 2, Electro 4D
Practice: Yam N3, Bosie 200 Klimt Model
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Spider Pro, MG06, etc.

#2854912 - 05/11/17 09:24 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: cphollis]
WWW Offline
Gold Member

Loc: NYC
I retired at 49, cut my expenses, and moved to Key West with my wife. Now, I am working 5 to 7 gigs a week, transporting my gear on a motorcycle trailer. No gig is more than five minutes away. I spend my days rehearsing with the band, practicing, writing music, or going out on the boat. I would say I am lucky and busy. It's an unconventional life though, and I am out almost every night. Thank goodness I have an understanding and loving wife. But, in order to retire you really have to give up a lot of your attachment to material things. They are too expensive to maintain, and they bog you down. Suffice it to say, that I am happy, and time is much more important than possessions

#2854916 - 05/12/17 01:13 AM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: WWW]
waygetter Offline

Loc: Sausalito, CA
Originally Posted By: WWW
I retired at 49, cut my expenses, and moved to Key West with my wife. Now, I am working 5 to 7 gigs a week, transporting my gear on a motorcycle trailer. No gig is more than five minutes away. I spend my days rehearsing with the band, practicing, writing music, or going out on the boat. I would say I am lucky and busy. It's an unconventional life though, and I am out almost every night. Thank goodness I have an understanding and loving wife. But, in order to retire you really have to give up a lot of your attachment to material things. They are too expensive to maintain, and they bog you down. Suffice it to say, that I am happy, and time is much more important than possessions

Great wife, Key West, boat, motorcycle, gear, gigs, writing, more... sounds pretty damn good!

#2854920 - 05/12/17 03:45 AM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: WWW]
DarkyLord Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: WWW
But, in order to retire you really have to give up a lot of your attachment to material things. They are too expensive to maintain, and they bog you down.

Couldn't agree more...although I never thought of my kids as material things. w00t w00t w00t

#2855084 - 05/12/17 08:12 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: DarkyLord]
Piktor Offline

Loc: Edmonton, Canada
This is a timely topic for me. I haven't hit 60 yet and still have lots of energy and goals. However, after teaching in the same school and same music room for thirty-two years, I will be retired on July 1. This wasn't an easy decision to make, because I still love what I do. Reading the positive comments in this thread just helped to reaffirm my decision. I lost a brother a few years back. He didn't get to have a retirement. Time waits for no one and there is still so much to do, especially in respect to personal musical endeavours that I have not been able to commit enough time to. I loved being a music crusader, but I can leave that in the hands of some of the great younger people that we have in our district. I think that the most difficult part about retiring will be leaving all of the relationships that come with being a teacher. Now I am looking forward to my final formal jazz concert next week. We'll have some great local jazz musicians, former students, colleagues, elephants, pirates... and then, when all of that is done, there will be fond memories and precious time to take on new projects!

#2855087 - 05/12/17 08:21 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: RABid]
SteveCoscia Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA
Retirement is a blurred line - I'm 63 and self-employed. Not sure when I will retire.

During the last two years, I have worked less, raised my consulting fees and developed passive revenue with online education lessons. I am happier, gross revenue is up and I am working less.

I can stay with this trend for another five or ten years. The nice thing about self-employment is the freedom to work much or a little.

Big retirement priorities are good health and mobility.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner