Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2855160 - 05/13/17 03:27 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: SteveCoscia]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Loc: USA

Congrats RABid! thu

Below is an interesting take-away from a 2014 Gallup.com article.

KLONK FOR THE ARTICLE

The average age at which non-retired Americans expect to retire is 66.

The average age at which U.S. retirees report retiring (in 2014) is 62.

Life is short.

Have fun while you're young. cool

KC Island
#2855171 - 05/13/17 05:31 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: ITGITC?]
NoahZark Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Maryland, USA
Congrats on your retirement, RABid!

#2855233 - 05/14/17 08:29 AM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: SteveCoscia]
KeyMoe Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Texas
I am 58 and thinking about retiring. Not worried about being busy as I have plenty to do and a decent pension coming. I am concerned about affordable healthcare as I am a diabetic. Any one have any advice on healthcare?

Congratulations Rabid!!

Edited by KeyMoe (05/14/17 08:30 AM)

#2855247 - 05/14/17 11:03 AM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: KeyMoe]
mate stubb Online   content
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

Originally Posted By: KeyMoe
Any one have any advice on healthcare?

<Deafening silence>

That's the giant gorilla in the room.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2855261 - 05/14/17 01:26 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: mate stubb]
KeyMoe Online   content
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: mate stubb

<Deafening silence>

That's the giant gorilla in the room.

I know. Pretty scary stuff!

#2855275 - 05/14/17 04:59 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: mate stubb]
RABid Offline
10k Club

I've spent my years working for a not-for-profit organization at a much lower pay rate than I would have gotten in the private sector. One benefit is the agency is in the state retirement system. My 27 years gives me full insurance upon retirement. A BIG benefit.

#2855276 - 05/14/17 05:56 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: RABid]
KeyMoe Online   content
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: RABid

I've spent my years working for a not-for-profit organization at a much lower pay rate than I would have gotten in the private sector. One benefit is the agency is in the state retirement system. My 27 years gives me full insurance upon retirement. A BIG benefit.

Huge!!!! That's awesome!

#2855299 - 05/14/17 08:38 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: KeyMoe]
Piktor Offline

Loc: Edmonton, Canada
Sorry that I don't have any advice regarding health care either. Because of my teachers' association, my wife's coverage and my governments, I almost don't have to think about it. I am grateful that I have some good options.

RABid, sorry that I forgot my manners in my first post. Congratulations to you.

#2855360 - 05/15/17 10:12 AM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: SteveCoscia]
B3Squeeze Offline

Loc: CT
I retired early due to downsizing at my company. That was five years ago. I am 65 now and although the loss of income was a hit, the time I have spent with my family and friends as well as playing music have been worth it. You just don't know how many years are ahead of you so enjoy the present.

#2855370 - 05/15/17 11:44 AM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: Legatoboy]
p19978 Offline

Loc: KY
According to Fidelity, the average retiree (starting at age 62) will spend $250k over their life expectancy on health care.

#2855905 - 05/17/17 06:01 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: p19978]
KeyMoe Online   content
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: p19978
According to Fidelity, the average retiree (starting at age 62) will spend $250k over their life expectancy on health care.

Wow, that's an alarming number!!!

#2856000 - 05/18/17 12:33 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: RABid]
simajanpa Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Congrats RABid! Fully enjoy whatever you choose to do from now on.
I too just retired a couple of months ago @ 66, my wife is a year younger and I had to wait until we both could get on Medicare. Hated my job, and couldn't wait to get the F out of there. Not bored in the least bit and never will be. Just build a Tiny House with my son and delivered it to Vermont. Between his propertys and mine...and cars....and music etc. there will always be something for me to work on.
Although I don't own an electronic keyboard, I did spring for a tune job on my old baby grand that's just been living room "furniture" for the last 25 years. Amazingly, it came back pretty well. Now I have something to fiddle on while I await the arrival of the Nord Stage 3 73.

Cheers
Paul

#2856078 - 05/19/17 01:11 AM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: simajanpa]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Yeah, healthcare is the bugaboo in the room. I'm not expecting a deal, as I am older and my healthcare expenses are appropriately higher. As far as 58-year old farts go, I'm obscenely healthy, but you can't fight demographics.

So when wifey and me sit down to plan retirement, we have a nice big chunk allocated for healthcare expenses. Although that's not my goal, I could pay my own way if I had to.

Suck it up.

Keys: Nord Stage 2, Piano 2, Electro 4D
Practice: Yam N3, Bosie 200 Klimt Model
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Spider Pro, MG06, etc.

#2856176 - 05/19/17 01:42 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: cphollis]
B3bluesman59 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: La Quinta,CA
I retired at 59 and was not old enough for Medicare at the time. However as a member of the AF of M Musicians Union I signed up for their medical and dental insurance which was affordable. Not all locals do have plans but if you need insurance you could check with the union in your area. Even by joining and paying the initiation fee and monthly dues it would still probably be cheaper than just signing up for insurance with any company. As I recall the union plan also included coverage for pre-existing conditions. Group rates are always much lower than buying an individual plan.

And having insurance is a must. I was one of those "never been sick a day in my life" kind of guys. Not long after signing up for Medicare I had my gall bladder go bad resulting in serious complications. By the time I was finally well again 90 days later the doctors and hospital bills totaled about $780K!! When I signed up for Medicare I also got a supplemental policy thru AARP that paid for things that were not covered by Medicare. I paid zero dollars, came out of it with no continuing problems, feel great, still gigging. I was very fortunate in many ways.

Edited by B3bluesman59 (05/19/17 01:53 PM)

#2856187 - 05/19/17 03:08 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: B3bluesman59]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
54, still working and healthy, and planning for retirement in about 15 years. That's long enough to vest in health care through my employer when I retire, but I'm not taking that for granted as IBM promised that to my father then when ACA became law IBM dumped all their retirees onto Medicare.

For the last two years I had been involved with elder care with my parents and I got an education in Medicare and the supplemental plans.

I'm currently in NY but want to move someplace less expensive when I retire. And warmer - I don't want to be clearing snow and paying for heating bills when I retire. Kentucky or Tennessee look ideal - any suggestions?

#2856228 - 05/19/17 06:45 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: The Real MC]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: The Real MC
54, still working and healthy, and planning for retirement in about 15 years. That's long enough to vest in health care through my employer when I retire, but I'm not taking that for granted as IBM promised that to my father then when ACA became law IBM dumped all their retirees onto Medicare.

For the last two years I had been involved with elder care with my parents and I got an education in Medicare and the supplemental plans.

I'm currently in NY but want to move someplace less expensive when I retire. And warmer - I don't want to be clearing snow and paying for heating bills when I retire. Kentucky or Tennessee look ideal - any suggestions?

Florida.

Seriously. I'm not retired, got down here early on, but it seems like Retiree Heaven near as I can figure. Lots of different warm locales depending on your interests and budget.

I live in a beach enclave which doesn't suck. The music scene is reasonable, with some effort. The year-round outdoor lifestyle rocks.

#2856559 - 05/21/17 04:59 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: RABid]
icarusi Offline

Loc: UNITED KINGDOM
After you retire you wonder how you found the time for a day job. OTOH other folks think you must be just kicking your heels, and always available to fit into their timetable. Ok, it's usually easier for me to reschedule, but then it can start becoming the norm, so you have to draw a line.

Edited by icarusi (05/21/17 05:00 PM)

#2856562 - 05/21/17 05:36 PM Re: OT - Retirement. [Re: icarusi]
cphollis Offline
Platinum Member

Yeah, I can imagine how non-retirees might think that you have unlimited time at their disposal. Sorry, doesn't work that way. The same time scheduling discipline learned in the working world will surely cary over.

And I'm NOT babysitting the grandkids.

OK, maybe once in a while smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner