Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2854539 - 05/10/17 06:57 AM Wasn't looking for a new Guitar, but . . .
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Lately, I've been having some fun with my Epi LP 7-string, but finding the right string gauges for the short Gibson scale has been an effort. Looks like I'm going to move up to a .065 for the low "B", at this point.

However, after doing a search on 7-string Guitars to see what else was out there, I found this!

Yeah, I know, it's made for Metal: I don't care. I've been curious about Charlie Hunter's Novax Guitars for a long time, and this thing looks close enough for Rock-&-Roll, so to speak. Novax copyrighted the phrase "Fanned-Fret", which is why this thing calls itself a Multi-Scale Guitar, I guess to avoid lawsuits. The standard string set on it seems kind of wimpy, especially for down-tuning, but I'm intrigued. Anybody with me?

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

GP Island
#2854550 - 05/10/17 07:56 AM Re: Wasn't looking for a new Guitar, but . . . [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
Looks cool! Lots of slanted vibe going on. Since you have experience with a 7 string you would be a good candidate for experimenting with that baby! Go for it! The only 7 string player I've witnessed is Buck Pizzareli and he does an excellent job of playing jazz on one. His son also plays one. I'm not so sure about those slanted frets as they make me dizzy LOL! But, I know you will give it a good workout. String gauges is a long and constant search until you find what you like for any particular guitar and it's part of the fun IMHO. Good luck and keep us posted! thu

#2854553 - 05/10/17 08:25 AM Re: Wasn't looking for a new Guitar, but . . . [Re: Larryz]
Danzilla Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Multi-scale fretboard looks interesting, and I'm sure you can put it to proper use. Already having experience on a 7-string, this shouldn't be too much of an adjustment to you. If someone like me were jumping from standard 6 string to 7 string AND multi-scale at the same time, there might be cause for concern (and frustration).

Make some music with that bad boy!

#2854566 - 05/10/17 09:06 AM Re: Wasn't looking for a new Guitar, but . . . [Re: Danzilla]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
That's probably as good a multi scale guitar as you're going to find under $1000.

Careful, though: get too aggressive with that thing, and Trent Reznor will come looking for you for the next NIN album!

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2854603 - 05/10/17 12:03 PM Re: Wasn't looking for a new Guitar, but . . . [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Scott Fraser Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Looks daunting, like an alien interpretation of a guitar.
Seven strings would confuse the hell out of me, it would be a disruption of the spatial relationships I use to get around on the fretboard. And when barring, does the hand just naturally fit the shape of the fanning on the frets?

#2854615 - 05/10/17 12:44 PM Re: Wasn't looking for a new Guitar, but . . . [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks, everyone, for the vote of confidence. Really love my 7-string, but futzing with the intonation takes up too much time & energy. I'm reluctant to cut the nut for a super-heavy gauge 7th string (.065-.070), as it would require a whole new nut if I want to downsize, later on. If I really decide to go deep into 7-string Jazz, I think I'll stick with the LP for that. I'd love to set it up with a Lenny Breau-style high "A' 1st string (EADGBEA, low to high), but I'm not sure about the neck tension if I crank the tuning up that much, even with wimpy .009's, or (gag, choke, cough) .008's.

I'd still want to go down to a .011 for a 1st string on that Ibanez, especially for the kind of tuning I have in mind.

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
That's probably as good a multi scale guitar as you're going to find under $1000.

Careful, though: get too aggressive with that thing, and Trent Reznor will come looking for you for the next NIN album!

I only wish! Saw NIN and David Bowie together. One of the greatest concert experiences in this life!

@Scott Fraser - I don't think anyone expects to play normal 1st Position Open Chords on a Guitar like this; I sure don't. My intent is to tune it down to something like a 7-string ADADGAD tuning. FWIW, on my LP, I've been shifting a lot of chords up the neck, by fingering the Root on the 7th string, instead of playing an open, or barred 6th string. The first tune I tried that with was Mahavishnu's Hope: Instead of starting from the 1st fret of the 6th string, I start on the 6th fret of the 7th string, and go on from there. That approach would help me adjust to new Chord shapes & voicings on the Multi-Scale neck, as well, but to be honest, I see it as more of an extremely aggressive Lead instrument, with some forays into Drone Tones, from the open tuning. I may not play Metal tunes on it, but the aesthetic concept isn't far off.

#2854642 - 05/10/17 03:11 PM Re: Wasn't looking for a new Guitar, but . . . [Re: Winston Psmith]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Saw NIN and David Bowie together. One of the greatest concert experiences in this life!

JEALOUS!!!

I love both; have seen neither.

The closest I ever came was NIN was on the first Lollapalooza tour, supporting that epic 1st album. I DID go to that... but they had a scheduling conflict and had to skip my date.

I have never been so disappointed to see Fisbone. Love them just as much, so the letdown was purely situational.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (05/10/17 03:16 PM)

#2854646 - 05/10/17 03:36 PM Re: Wasn't looking for a new Guitar, but . . . [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Saw Bowie three times: The Sound & Vision tour, the original Tim Machine tour (in a converted indoor roller rink) and the show with NIN.

#2854666 - 05/10/17 05:55 PM Re: Wasn't looking for a new Guitar, but . . . [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I predict that that guitar will suit you and your music VERY well, Winston.

What tuning are you planning on going with?

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Seven strings would confuse the hell out of me, it would be a disruption of the spatial relationships I use to get around on the fretboard.

Me, I would really love eight strings- one 8th/B below Low-E, and one 1st/High-A above High-E. A multi-scale axe would help out with the tension and gauges of both of those added strings.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2854702 - 05/11/17 02:57 AM Re: Wasn't looking for a new Guitar, but . . . [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
harvey Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
That looks very cool! I think you will dig the extended scale for the low strings.

I've never played a slanted scale guitar but a couple of friends have and say that it's surprisingly easy to get used to to feel.

I don't get why they flog the 'made for metal' mantra oh the ad?! Obviously it will chug like a beast, but in your hands Winston it will do a lot more besides just that.

#2854705 - 05/11/17 04:12 AM Re: Wasn't looking for a new Guitar, but . . . [Re: harvey]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Nice looking as it is, that axe is WAY out of MY class! I have a time enough just handling SIX strings let alone ADDING another! wink

And those slanted frets would make me worry too much that I'd sound as if I'm hitting the wrong NOTE, and I can do that WITHOUT slanting the frets! grin

But give her a whirl. And do keep us posted. smile
Whitefang

#2854726 - 05/11/17 06:03 AM Re: Wasn't looking for a new Guitar, but . . . [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've been looking at 8 and 9-string Guitars also, but the price for a quality instrument is well out of my range, for now, around twice that of the Guitar I'm looking at. Ibanez makes a $400 8-string, but I'm really dubious about it; looks cheaply-made, not worth risking $400 on.

@Caevan - I'm thinking of some variation on a DADGAD-style tuning, with a low "A", thus ADADGAD. There's also a DGDGGD low-to-high tuning I'd like to screw with, by adding a low "G" (GDGDGGD). It's my own variation on a GGDGGD tuning a Trumpet player taught me, way back in the Summer of 1970. Yeah, lots of drone tones, and you can get some cheesy faux-Sitar sounds, by strumming the open strings while playing a melody line on the 1st string. Think of Richie Havens' strumming style, and you've got the general idea.

@Whitefang - I expect to get somewhat lost on that fretboard, at first: That's part of the idea. I know you probably haven't seen any of my live videos, but in a lot of them, I'm playing with my eyes closed, relying on muscle memory to find my way along the neck. I need an instrument that makes some new demands of me, before I make the jump to a Fretless or a Microtonal Guitar.

Got some other things to do this month, but I think I'm going to order it. Like Dannyalcatraz says, this looks like the best thing I'm likely to find for under $1000, and just in case it's model they don't stick with, I should get one while they're around.

#2854767 - 05/11/17 08:36 AM Re: Wasn't looking for a new Guitar, but . . . [Re: Winston Psmith]
Scott Fraser Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
I'd love to set it up with a Lenny Breau-style high "A' 1st string (EADGBEA, low to high), but I'm not sure about the neck tension if I crank the tuning up that much, even with wimpy .009's, or (gag, choke, cough) .008's.

Or try one of Billy Gibbons' .007s.

#2854770 - 05/11/17 08:44 AM Re: Wasn't looking for a new Guitar, but . . . [Re: Scott Fraser]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
I've been looking at 8 and 9-string Guitars also, but the price for a quality instrument is well out of my range, for now, around twice that of the Guitar I'm looking at. Ibanez makes a $400 8-string, but I'm really dubious about it; looks cheaply-made, not worth risking $400 on.

Check out Agiles from Rondo. They get a lot of love in certain circles for delivering upper-mid level quality for lower mid level prices- kind of a downmarket version of Carvin/Kiesel. I know one guy whose collection is quite impressive who has bought several.
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

Their 8-stringers range from @$180-1000. Here's one on the top end:
http://www.rondomusic.com/interceptorelt82730ebemgnat.html

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (05/11/17 08:51 AM)

#2854956 - 05/12/17 06:53 AM Re: Wasn't looking for a new Guitar, but . . . [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
I have an Agile V that I really like and agree they are a good value worth looking at. Jim

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose