Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2851442 - 04/24/17 10:28 AM Special Allan Holdsworth issue
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
I hope you guys can find your way clear to have at least a special section of an upcoming issue devoted to Allan's contribution. It'd be nice to have him on the cover like you did with B.B. King, but maybe Allan is not as well known to the general public - naturally, you have to consider newsstand sales.
Of course, you have given him good coverage over the years - no question about THAT!

#2854193 - 05/08/17 08:01 AM Re: Special Allan Holdsworth issue [Re: Eric Iverson]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Good luck on influencing that here.
When's the last time y'saw an GP writer or editor in this forum ?
I think we gotta chase 'em oever at FBook or Twits-R-Us.

Anywhat, for thos wondering, here's something maybe of interest:

Last AH interview in DBeat mag

http://downbeat.com/news/detail/qa-with-allan-holdsworth-the-man-who-changed-guitar-forever

#2854419 - 05/09/17 11:07 AM Re: Special Allan Holdsworth issue [Re: d]
Editor Boy Moderator Offline

Loc: San Mateo,CA,UNITED STATES
Hi Eric,

Sadly, Allan died in the middle of our publishing cycle (and on Easter!), so the July issue is where the tributes are. Not a cover, we already had a TONE issue scheduled, and, unfortunately, you are spot on as influential and brilliant an artist as Allan was, it would be difficult to sell issues with him on the cover these days.

We did get our web story up as soon as Allan's daughter gave us the tragic news.

Sincerely,
Mike

#2858475 - 05/31/17 02:30 PM Re: Special Allan Holdsworth issue [Re: Editor Boy]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Then, can we expect a cleverly yet sincerely spun- read, angled to sell- Allan Holdsworth cover-story on the next issue? Sometimes the way to take the high road, to do the right thing, should be found, even if the way to do so is not immediately, obviously simple. What is it that younger potential GP magazine buyers could gain from reading about- and getting various related links and online content thereby- the late, undeniably great Allan Holdsworth? Find those bulletins- and cover 'em.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2858480 - 05/31/17 02:45 PM Re: Special Allan Holdsworth issue [Re: Caevan O'Shite]

Hi Caevan... Sadly, no cover story. I wouldn't be able to get that past the circulation department, as Allan was pretty underground (to the public at large) and newsstand sales would reflect that. We did try to do some respectful content in the July issue. Let me know how you all feel about that.

It's tough. So many of our heroes are passing, or may pass away in the coming months/years, and the publishing cycle demands getting that news out on the web immediately. What does that leave for the magazine, when the news is about 3 months old by the time the issue appears? Not a comprehensive obit, for sure, because that's done and dusted online. Lessons? Artist quotes (which online media also publishes first)? Critical essays? Photo tributes with captions?

What would forum members like to see, and/or expect us to do?

I'm more than happy to bring your comments to the staff to see how best and appropriately to remember the fallen in the future.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Sincerely,
Mike

#2858780 - 06/02/17 03:19 AM Re: Special Allan Holdsworth issue [Re: Editor Boy]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Editor Boy
Hi Caevan... Sadly, no cover story. I wouldn't be able to get that past the circulation department, as Allan was pretty underground (to the public at large) and newsstand sales would reflect that. We did try to do some respectful content in the July issue. Let me know how you all feel about that.

It's tough. So many of our heroes are passing, or may pass away in the coming months/years, and the publishing cycle demands getting that news out on the web immediately. What does that leave for the magazine, when the news is about 3 months old by the time the issue appears? Not a comprehensive obit, for sure, because that's done and dusted online. Lessons? Artist quotes (which online media also publishes first)? Critical essays? Photo tributes with captions?

I'm more than happy to bring your comments to the staff to see how best and appropriately to remember the fallen in the future.

Sincerely,
Mike

Michael-

Thanks for askin'! I'll mull all this over a bit, and also try to engage other GPF members on these matters, as well. I will get back to you here!

Sincerely,
Kevin "Caevan O'Shite" E. Miller

#2858870 - 06/02/17 10:20 AM Re: Special Allan Holdsworth issue [Re: Caevan O'Shite]

Awesome. Thanks, Kevin. Sadly, this kind of "obit coverage" is going to be an ongoing dilemma -- certainly for the '50s, '60s, and '70s artists we all dig.

Have a good weekend,
Mike

#2860032 - 06/08/17 07:41 AM Re: Special Allan Holdsworth issue [Re: Editor Boy]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
FWIW, the other New Bay gtr mag [Gtr World] has put out an issue w/ "AH's last interview", although it seems more a retrospective + some reader / Holdsworth Q & A.

That's not a criticism of GP, only a mention of available info.

In another thread there's an invitation for GP 1967~2K17 ideas.
I posted there but will mention here that one potentially profitable resource is the trove of material GP has in back files (although I was also told several years ago that the actual collection of back issues is incomplete-----true ?!).

Perhaps a collection of AH articles / lessons / etc. would garner enough support from his fans to make it worthwhile ?

#2860175 - 06/08/17 09:05 PM Re: Special Allan Holdsworth issue [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
Hey Michael, Thanks for coming back and talking to us again, please see my comments on the Hey Editor Boy thread! I agree that like many of our threads and many of your GP tributes, it's not always about covering the obits even though us boomers are dropping like flies LOL! I think we should always pay tribute to the greats as they pass on and that's just a fact of life. So, please don't hesitate to showcase them for us fans. I think guys like BB, SRV, Jimi and others deserve a cover while the ones that are not so well known, can still get a little coverage in the back pages. I hope? Thanks again, Larryz twothumbs

Edited by Larryz (06/09/17 07:47 AM)

#2866769 - 07/14/17 06:42 AM Re: Special Allan Holdsworth issue [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Briefly stopping by: I want to apologize for taking so long in getting back to you on these matters, Ed' Boy; I've been a bit busy- new town, new home, new job, new life, FANTASTIC Grrrlfriend and stepsons- I'll try to swing by here again soon with some valid input. In the meantime- the Grrrlfriend and I are going to see Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience and Cheap Trick in a few days! Woot! (Same venue where we previously caught Steely Dan and Steve Winwood.)

There's a thought- featured articles and interviews on classic artists from vintage issues of GP, highlighting their influence, current reincarnations, and/or "tribute" bands and the like; technique/performance, PA's, venues, gear, etc. then and now...

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
Originally Posted By: Editor Boy

Sincerely,
Mike

Michael-

Thanks for askin'! I'll mull all this over a bit, and also try to engage other GPF members on these matters, as well. I will get back to you here!

Sincerely,
Kevin "Caevan O'Shite" E. Miller