Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2853860 - 05/06/17 05:59 AM OT: Sad Acknowledgement
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Today marks the 80th anniversary of the Hindenburg disaster at Lakehurst New Jersey.

I mention it here due to a photo of the disaster being used for the iconic cover of Led Zeppelin's first LP.

As a kid I thought the cover was "cool".

Now in my old age, I do consider it a bit in bad taste. But the MUSIC on it still ranks high with me. wink
Whitefang

GP Island
#2853929 - 05/06/17 02:58 PM Re: OT: Sad Acknowledgement [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I used to work in Lakehurst NJ at a Chevy dealer as a mechanic. I never did go to the scene of that disaster however although I thought about it every time I passed the welcome to Lakehurst sign.

I also think that the first Zep album was stellar.

One night when we were tripping on LSD, riding in the back seat of a car with two friends in the front, listening to that album, my first wife leans over to me and says "the music sounds like giant insects". And immediately I heard what she heard. Although it never dimmed my liking of that album. One of the best hard rock debut albums of all time.

#2853937 - 05/06/17 04:24 PM Re: OT: Sad Acknowledgement [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And one of the best to come out in a year that saw a LOT of "bests" come out.
Whitefang

#2853954 - 05/06/17 07:01 PM Re: OT: Sad Acknowledgement [Re: whitefang]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
The reason for the band name and the album cover, is that they were going to be called the New Yardbirds until someone said "that'll go over like a lead balloon".

I think it's likely that they would NOT have been as successful if they had appeared to be a continuation of the original Yardbirds (at least two had played with that band, however briefly) -- even though it was band that had gone through many stylistic changes and thus wasn't "locked in" regarding its genre perception.

#2853962 - 05/06/17 07:56 PM Re: OT: Sad Acknowledgement [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
The reason for the band name and the album cover, is that they were going to be called the New Yardbirds until someone said "that'll go over like a lead balloon".

That someone was Keith Moon.

Quote:
I think it's likely that they would NOT have been as successful if they had appeared to be a continuation of the original Yardbirds (at least two had played with that band, however briefly) -- even though it was band that had gone through many stylistic changes and thus wasn't "locked in" regarding its genre perception.

While rehearsing the 1st Zeppelin album they did one short Scandinavian tour as the New Yardbirds in order to fulfill a contractual obligation with a promoter who had booked the Yardbirds before they broke up. "Dazed & Confused", under a different title, had been part of the Yardbirds' set list in their last year, so there was some overlap between the old & the new.

#2853985 - 05/07/17 03:31 AM Re: OT: Sad Acknowledgement [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I now wonder....

If they HAD kept the name "The New Yardbirds", how many would have REFUSED to listen to them because CLAPTON wasn't in it?
Whitefang

#2854012 - 05/07/17 07:51 AM Re: OT: Sad Acknowledgement [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: whitefang
I now wonder....

If they HAD kept the name "The New Yardbirds", how many would have REFUSED to listen to them because CLAPTON wasn't in it?
Whitefang

Jeff Beck also wasn't in that band.
Mainly, it's not a very good band name. The Yardbirds were known & established, The NEW Yardbirds just sounds like something which wasn't that. Also, under Page's direction, the new band sounded nothing like the old band. It would have been trading solely on the name brand recognition. Changing the name was a pretty good idea, & I guess those guys did all right with the name they came up with.

#2854126 - 05/07/17 05:08 PM Re: OT: Sad Acknowledgement [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

wink

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose