Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2853779 - 05/05/17 02:11 PM Fishman Triple Play Midi controller pickup
3dog Offline

Just started setting up my Hamer arch top electric with the Triple Play system and I am amazed I got it working on the first try. Having an autotune bridge made the installation more complicated and I though I would have screwed up my action but I everything seems to be working. Purchased an open box from Guitar Center and everything was there. I am amazed with the amount of software that you can download from the Fishman site but you really need to understand interfacing with midi software or be prepared for a big learning curve. I installed it on my Mac so it was pretty easy. Didn't have to install anything on my IOS devices as I have tons of midi apps and they all seem to work given that it is a guitar sending midi to apps that are designed for keyboard triggers. I am a novice on guitar but experienced with midi software as I have worked with the apps and software with both keyboards and wind controller in the past. I am amazed at how well it tracks with no noticeable latency. Time will tell but I am please so far (day one) Love to hear from others who are more advanced using this system. There are a lot of neg posts and reviews and I can see how this will not work on every guitar and setting things up may be more difficult on a windows machine.

GP Island
#2854000 - 05/07/17 06:31 AM Re: Fishman Triple Play Midi controller pickup [Re: 3dog]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Sorry there's been no response, 3dog. While I use MIDI and Guitar Synths extensively, I've never used the Triple Play; all of my gear is hardware, thus my main Guitar-to-MIDI system is to use my Roland Guitar Synths as MIDI Converters. As you've already noted, there's a bit of adjustment in terms of the tracking, even more so with note-bending.

I have one friend over in England, who uses the Triple Play as his sole Guitar-to-MIDI connection, and he's been very happy with it. Not sure what kind of computer he's using, but he's never mentioned any issues with tracking, nor latency.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose