Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2853401 - 05/03/17 11:03 AM For DesertBluesMan...
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
For Dave, DesertBluesMan...

Man, this is GOOD STUFF.

________

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

GP Island
#2853407 - 05/03/17 12:29 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
+1 Caevan! Enjoy your former teacher...DBM! cool

#2853433 - 05/03/17 04:10 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Just imagine sitting and jamming on her bed in the motel room she rented on the island resort I grew up on. Getting personal lessons for 5 bucks a half hour. I could stop her at any lick she played and find out how she did it, why she went into that scale, how it related to the changes etc. It was a heady time. She was filled with musical soul at those times. She was 18 years old when I took lessons from her. and fresh out of Berkelee School of music.

We spent a lot of time jamming. She was actually impressed with what I was doing against her changes which gave me a lift in confidence big time. She could not understand how I came to do what I did really since she was schooled, and my experience was jamming with my fellow learners who could not count measures so every other beat could be a surprise, I was able to anticipate from experience where to go immediately if she threw in a curve ball. She shook her head more than one time and called me "totally outside" whatever she meant by that, but it sounded like a compliment to me.

Later on I took lessons from Bob Aslanian who was Al DeMeolas major influence, he was less feel and more technique than Emily. The mix of the two formed my playing habits from then on.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2853455 - 05/03/17 07:09 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I only took lessons for about 3 months in '79 from a great jazz standard player. He invited me to join his band and play on his next record. I have always felt bad about having to move away and many times I wish I could have stayed there and played with him. He was way above my pay grade but he really enjoyed my rhythm playing as that was my specialty in my former band. The lessons were $5 bucks an hour and I would always bring a six pack on ice. He always booked me as the last student of the day and then we would sit and play till the beer was gone LOL!

He was a great teacher. My old guitar buddy says (he likes to rub it in that I actually took a few lessons): "Yeah, you never played that good until you took lessons from that guy!" I tell him that was back in '79, never mind the 54 years I've been teaching myself how to play LOL! I know you will always have fond memories of Emily. I was the one throwing the curves at my teacher LOL! He loved to improvise over my chord patterns. And that's the one thing he had time to teach me...the word Improvise. From then on that's all I wanted to learn after hearing him do it for hours and never play the same thing twice! cool

Edited by Larryz (05/04/17 08:05 AM)
Edit Reason: sp

#2853491 - 05/04/17 04:16 AM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: Larryz]
harvey Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Great stories Dave and Larry!

#2853494 - 05/04/17 04:33 AM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: harvey]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I've read DBM mention that name a lot over my time here, so I just HAD to take the time to give a decent listen.

Wow! What COULDN'T one learn from this lady? Now I easily understand the REVERENCE in any of his posts where he mentioned her. If I could play 1/4 as good as her, I'd be FOUR TIMES the guitar player I am now. smile

And playing with the late, great HANK JONES of the JONES BROS. also shows she's highly respected in her field.
Whitefang

#2853541 - 05/04/17 08:11 AM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks Harvey! thu

#2853592 - 05/04/17 12:05 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Emily by The Sea, this is a result of my first lesson from Emily. I recorded it years later. I use the stage name Harvey Cedars which is the name of a town on the Island where I grew up. The first slow part is her wish for me to create a chord progression in the Dorian Mode, the faster part was a chord progression that she taught me as a jazzy blues with a sharped fifth intro to the five chord, which floored me at the time.
http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=8789159&q=hi&newref=1

#2853594 - 05/04/17 12:12 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: desertbluesman]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sadly this is about her after I heard the cause of her demise.

Remler was addicted to opiates including heroin and dilaudid. She died of heart failure at the age of 32 at the Connells Point home of musician Ed Gaston, while on tour in Australia.

The real cause of her heart attack was OD. I knew a friend of Ed and he pvted me the real story.

http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=12677381&q=hi&newref=1

#2853595 - 05/04/17 12:15 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: desertbluesman]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Here is my first recording about her after I got my digital recording equipment in 1999.

http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=2800306&q=hi&newref=1

#2853669 - 05/04/17 08:26 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

DBM, you did a great job on those tunes in her memory. I'm sure she would be proud of you... thu

#2853682 - 05/05/17 04:17 AM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's sad to think of someone being so talented and dying at such a young age for really no good reason at all.

For THAT matter, at ANY age for ANY reason.
Whitefang

#2853711 - 05/05/17 08:09 AM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

BB King and Chuck Berry both made it to 89/90...it's not as bad when the older ones pass away as they had a good long life. The younger ones hit me a little harder. +1 it is a lot of talent that is being laid to rest at any age. It's great that we have the icons on so many videos and can watch them perform. I like to call up Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed all the time on YT... cool

#2853789 - 05/05/17 02:40 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
DBM, you did a great job on those tunes in her memory. I'm sure she would be proud of you... thu

Thanks she was a very important person to me back then, because of her talent and her approach-ability in giving lessons. She was also a very sweet person. I was floored when I heard about her demise back in the early 90's, but I never knew how it happened although I suspected it's final confirmation. I have an internet friend of mine who was a good friend of hers, Kenny Wilson, a monster guitar player who made his living working at Manny's music in New York City. He used to hang out with all the greats and especially Joe Pass. Anyways he told me stories that sparked the Lady Lady Lady I Got The Blues For You tune. All that confirmed what I heard from the Australian friend of Ed Gaston. Sad truthfully.

#2853791 - 05/05/17 02:45 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang

And playing with the late, great HANK JONES of the JONES BROS. also shows she's highly respected in her field.
Whitefang

She also played in the Trio; Herb Ellis, Barney Kessel, she replaced Charlie Byrd in the trio when he was otherwise occupied. She also did European tours with Larry Coryell many times. She was highly regarded in the jazz scene on the east coast, as well as nationally and worldwide.

#2853855 - 05/06/17 05:07 AM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Sure. I mean, just judging from what was posted(the music) I'd say it was WELL DESERVED.
Whitefang

#2853861 - 05/06/17 06:33 AM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: desertbluesman]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Nice playing, Dave. cool

I am sorry about, and deeply touched by, the whole back-story and what became of her. I'm glad that you knew her, both of your lives were the better, the richer for it, I am sure.

I apologize for bringing up some sad memories for you by starting this thread- I just ran across that album there, was listening to it- really enjoying it- and thought of you, and posted it here...

On "Lady Lady Lady I Got The Blues For You", your playing has elements reminiscent of Roy Buchanan's and Peter Green's mixed together- of course, meant as a compliment, and then some. "When Emily Was Gone" also makes me think of those players, with some B.B. King thrown in for good measure.

Of course, Emily's influence is there, and your songs, your stories, are touching.

Be well, my friend.

#2853919 - 05/06/17 01:58 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Saw this a few days ago & was shocked at 1st b/c I misread the thread icon & thought.... facepalm

Glad that wasn't what I thought but still a sad story.
I'd never heard the bg on her drug use.
[BTW & FWIW, I think there's general confusion when ppl speak abt "cause" & "reason" in regard to life's events &, uh, eventualities.]

The traxks you posted are V good !
"Sea Emily Play" [ laugh ] shows a dynamic note-shaping sense & fluidity that's very impressive.
Who's on kboards ? Great interplay there !
The track that came up just after ("Gone Thrill") reveals that note-shaping skill even more, as does "Lay, Layla, Lady" [:D ].
Vox by you ?

Caeven's mentioned Buchanan & P Green but it remiinds me of what Derek Trucks does, although obviously acheived differently.
thu X twothumbs

#2853925 - 05/06/17 02:43 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
Nice playing, Dave. cool

I apologize for bringing up some sad memories for you by starting this thread- I just ran across that album there, was listening to it- really enjoying it- and thought of you, and posted it here...

On "Lady Lady Lady I Got The Blues For You", your playing has elements reminiscent of Roy Buchanan's and Peter Green's mixed together- of course, meant as a compliment, and then some. "When Emily Was Gone" also makes me think of those players, with some B.B. King thrown in for good measure.

Of course, Emily's influence is there, and your songs, your stories, are touching.

No need for apologies my friend, I never stay in sadness mode. When I lose a friend or even family member, I am shocked in the beginning, sad for a week or so, then on to a better feelings ASAP. I do not like sadness, so I have developed tools in my life to mitigate it ASAP. Everybody dies, I am 74 years old and outlived most of my friends and many of my family, so I am used to dealing with death.

As for Roy being an influence on me, that was spot on. He was, and still is my biggest influence on guitar as far as copying someone's style as best as I can.

Thanks for the nice words about my songs. It is always a boost to get good feedback.

#2853927 - 05/06/17 02:49 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: d]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
Saw this a few days ago & was shocked at 1st b/c I misread the thread icon & thought.... facepalm

Glad that wasn't what I thought but still a sad story.
I'd never heard the bg on her drug use.
[BTW & FWIW, I think there's general confusion when ppl speak abt "cause" & "reason" in regard to life's events &, uh, eventualities.]

The traxks you posted are V good !
"Sea Emily Play" [ laugh ] shows a dynamic note-shaping sense & fluidity that's very impressive.
Who's on kboards ? Great interplay there !
The track that came up just after ("Gone Thrill") reveals that note-shaping skill even more, as does "Lay, Layla, Lady" [:D ].
Vox by you ?

Caeven's mentioned Buchanan & P Green but it remiinds me of what Derek Trucks does, although obviously acheived differently.
thu X twothumbs

I do everything on my recordings including the vocals. I generate the backing tracks in Jammer Pro or Band In A Box, or sometimes I use a MIDI file and render it to audio using nice samples or in rare instances the Yamaha SW 1000 XG synth in my recording computer. I play all the guitars/vocals in live, flat and dry and effect them in the recording app.

Thank you for your nice words.

#2853938 - 05/06/17 04:41 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, I've lost some important to my life people over the years. I too, dispel the funk by filling my head with all the good things and fun times I can remember with the philosophy if I never forget them, they'll never really be gone.

And that iNet adage "Don't cry because they're gone, SMILE because they HAPPENED"

As for the vocals. Your natural voice? Kind of made me think "Dylan does Dr. John." wink Fit the tunes well I thought.
Whitefang

#2854075 - 05/07/17 12:45 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: desertbluesman]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman

Man, you more than earned them.

#2854127 - 05/07/17 05:09 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

As for the vocals. Your natural voice? Kind of made me think "Dylan does Dr. John." wink Fit the tunes well I thought.
Whitefang

Thanks amigo, I jokingly call my vocals; in tune croak-ings. cheers

#2854159 - 05/08/17 02:06 AM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: desertbluesman]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: d

Man, you more than earned them.

Agreed. cool

Whitefang

I bet you charm audience members at live gig performances with your friendly, off-hand, candid and direct delivery.

#2854165 - 05/08/17 04:16 AM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Whitefang

I always joke with people by telling them, "My singing voice is DIVINE. ANDY Devine, that is!" grin

And +1 on Caev's CHARM comment. smile
Whitefang

#2854292 - 05/08/17 03:08 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
I bet you charm audience members at live gig performances with your friendly, off-hand, candid and direct delivery.

I have not done a gig in 40 years Caev. But I was the one who talked to the audience between tunes. I do practice my stories of the songs I write, before practicing those songs on some days, talking to an empty couch usually rimshot (Just in case I ever do go out with my shtick and perform).

I asked my buddy Lou Maresca who just did a bunch of gigs with his band Live at The Fillmore on the west coast if I could open for them on his next west coast tour. He usually tours with other tribute bands (his is obviously an Allmans tribute band). But after thinking about it, I thought the practice regimen to get ready for a bunch of shows and the daily practice to keep my licks up to snuff would be daunting, and of course I probably would not be compensated very well for the effort so I withdrew my request.

Anyways I am usually not at all nervous on stage after the first few songs so I banter back and forth with the audience with whatever comes to mind. That stuff is super easy for me. Practicing like a madman however is beginning to wear on my old bones......

#2854293 - 05/08/17 03:15 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

"My singing voice is DIVINE. ANDY Devine, that is!" grin

I would almost have to steal that line Fang, except for the fact that very few would know who Andy Devine was these days.

Plunk Your Magic Twanger Froggy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H35odPm7b3w

#2854315 - 05/08/17 04:39 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: desertbluesman]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, let's enlighten, eh ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H35odPm7b3w

Then there's this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjPM-91QCbU

Although, honestly I prefer
which is where I thought that phrase came from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8IuOIuUNT8

#2854523 - 05/10/17 05:00 AM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Cool clip DBM. took me back. In the early '70's there was a Saturday night late night TV movie host who showed cheezy old horror flicks and was out of Cleveland who called himself "The Ghoul" (overdey"!) that did a send-up of the "Froggy" bit.

And didn't character actor VITO SCOTTI( the tuba player) get around on TV a lot over the years? wink

And of course, you also probably remember Devine as "Jingles" on the old "Wild Bill Hickock" TV show... smile
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (05/10/17 05:01 AM)

#2854876 - 05/11/17 04:02 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

And of course, you also probably remember Devine as "Jingles" on the old "Wild Bill Hickock" TV show... smile
Whitefang

Yep I remember the Wild Bill Hickock show and Andy Devine on it as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose