Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2854921 - 05/12/17 04:00 AM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
grin
Yeah, Andy was a hoot. And always wound up well liked by everyone he worked with. smile

Like Ms. Remler probably was too.
Whitefang

GP Island
#2855083 - 05/12/17 08:09 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted By: whitefang

Like Ms. Remler probably was too.

I was not really that close to her, I saw her every day for an hour a day for two weeks for several summers. I liked her enough but I could see she was troubled internally. No junkie is emotionally stable, I have known a few here and there, she was not heavily into the junk at the time I knew her. I have a friend a real good jazz guitarist, Kenny Wilson who worked at Manny's in New York, and he knew her intimately, as they dated and hung out & etc in her last days. The stories he told me about her habit were pretty sad sounding truthfully. I was a little sad when I heard those stories, but it was what it was.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2855109 - 05/13/17 04:57 AM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, but what I basically meant was like Andy, nobody probably had any complaints about WORKING with her.

And I based that mostly on how you made her sound whenever you wrote about her.
Whitefang

#2855154 - 05/13/17 02:28 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, but what I basically meant was like Andy, nobody probably had any complaints about WORKING with her.

And I based that mostly on how you made her sound whenever you wrote about her.
Whitefang

Larry Coryell would not pay her any more than expenses on the road when they toured together because of her junk habit. Then when they got back to the city (NY) he would settle up. So when on the road she would have to go out on the streets and hustle for money for her habit. That is all info I got from Kenny.

When I knew her she was fairly straight and just toying with opiates, I was a hippy back then so of course I used drugs, but my preference was psychedelics from weed on up. So she would ask me to get her some junk, but I wasn't into that. The local cops knew what I was up to of course, so I towed the line when it came to what I was into. Junk was taboo in my little berg, and if someone used it, to the slammer they went. We all knew each other in my little town, from law enforcement to the hippie scene, and we formed an unspoken agreement I assume because the cops never bothered me.

#2855205 - 05/14/17 04:44 AM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's odd( and funny to consider) that back in MY "hippie days", I never considered it to mean that "of course I used drugs". In fact, it wasn't until AFTER I "went straight", got a GM job, married and had my first kid that I ever TRIED any dope( pot), and got heavily( and I might add, a bit TOO heavily) into any drug use. Yeah, like you, weed and some hallucinogens and speed. I never understood the attraction of opiates. That's too bad in Emily's case. But my intent was to indicate that she wssn't difficult to work with in spite, and THAT'S what I meant about no complaints about working with her.
Whitefang

#2855444 - 05/15/17 04:40 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Emily was definitely a very nice person. Way lovable. As a player she was a monster player, I met her just after her days at Berkelee School of Music in Boston when she showed up on the resort island where I lived, before her heavy junk days. At the time she died, I hadn't seen her in many years. I don't know if she was trouble to work with later on, she was definitely easy going when I did know her.

Later on a friend of mine from our music days in New Jersey Steven Weinglass and I talked music and what Emily taught me was exactly what he learned at Berkelee. Steve and I go back a long ways back to the late 60's and early 70's when we jammed and hung out together. His brother Leonard Weinglass the lawyer who defended the Chicago 7 with William Kunsler is detailed in Steve's bio below. Steve showed up at my house last year unannounced to celebrate his birthday with his lady Jean. I lost touch with Steve in the mid 80's and in 2009 I e-mailed his brother at his Law Firm in NYC and asked him to foreword my phone number to Steve, and a few weeks later I heard from him. See a small bio below.

Steven Weinglass was born and raised in New Jersey, and began performing music professionally at the age of 16. His first performances were at the Jersey shore. Mr. Weinglass studied at Berklee College of Music and became bassist/vocalist and music director for such acts as; Shirley Alston Reeves of the Shirelles, The Four Tops, Bill Haley’s Comets, Crosswind, Restless, Michael and the Little Professors, among many others. During his teens he was deeply influenced by his brother's work in the peace movement of the Sixties who went on to defend The Chicago 8, The Pentagon Papers' Daniel Elsberg, Jane Fonda, and most recently, The Cuban 5. In recent years, Mr. Weinglass has become a music supervisor on film, produced music and had his songs placed in TV shows. Currently he has come back to his roots and is out performing music again. Mr. Weinglass is also serving as Commissioner of The Public Works Dept. for the city of Beverly Hills, CA., and has served on that commission for the past four years (serving the last year as the Chairman).

#2855523 - 05/16/17 04:28 AM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

You hang with some pretty heavy players, DBM. And NOT necessarily music players. smile
Whitefang

#2855604 - 05/16/17 10:05 AM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

You hang with some pretty heavy players, DBM. And NOT necessarily music players. smile
Whitefang

None of them never earned me a penny or invite to play at some event. I was asked to play at Steve's New Years Eve Party in 2009, but I did not have my own rig there, nor did I warm up, so I declined. But I did meet the script writer for Mississippi Burning, the granddaughter of the guy who started Metro Goldwyn Mayer, Malcolm Lukens who played keys for Roy Buchanan, and some other heavies.

#2855717 - 05/17/17 04:09 AM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I certainly hope( and no, I don't believe so) that those folks aren't as intellectually vapid as a lot of people THINK they are.

Would have LOVED to eavesdropped on some of those conversations. wink
Whitefang

#2855868 - 05/17/17 01:43 PM Re: For DesertBluesMan... [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I certainly hope( and no, I don't believe so) that those folks aren't as intellectually vapid as a lot of people THINK they are.

Would have LOVED to eavesdropped on some of those conversations. wink
Whitefang

It was interesting, those folks are real bright, tenacious and intelligent. The vapid part of what they do is because they have to reach the lowest common denominator to pay the freight on any movie, TV show, recording, and on and on. The game is played not on intellect, but on how many tickets can we sell. So they reach out to the biggest demographic. You can be sure that they have to be smart to hit the jackpot, which is what the game is all about in La La land. Very few are there for the artistic side, that can be practiced in any little town. They are there to hit the big time.....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose