Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2850744 - 04/20/17 11:38 PM What is the most recent song you learned, and why?
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Belgium
A simple question to start the weekend: what is the most recent song you learned, and why?

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

BP Island
#2850771 - 04/21/17 05:01 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: EddiePlaysBass]
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
The band I'm working with now is an 'Originals' band and always coming up with new stuff & ideas. Telling you titles would be meaningless, but it's quite stimulating.

(Youtube 'Something Out of Nothing at the Clutha')

G.

#2850772 - 04/21/17 05:16 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: The Geoff]
lug Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: League City,TX,UNITED STATES
Gonna Have To Face It, You're Addicted To Love" because I keep trying to explain to my wife that it should be her favorite song.
I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

#2850789 - 04/21/17 06:31 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: lug]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
"Walk In My Shadows" by Joe Bonamassa & Paul Rodgers; "Fooled Around & Fell In Love" by the Winery Dogs/Elvin Bishop; and "Walkin' the Dawg" by Tony Spinner. All for an audition that never happened, as the band decided to fold rather than replace the bass player. Another member was having some health issues, which played into it. But I can't help but feel like "Geez, they'd rather not play than have me in the band. Must have heard I know Lug."

That said, I've made contact with another group that needs a bassist, that is doing original music. We'll see what happens with that.

#2851040 - 04/22/17 12:15 PM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: Danzilla]
jeremy c Offline
10k Club

Loc: Berkeley,CA,UNITED STATES
I learned a whole bunch of religious songs which I played on Easter with a praise band at the Blossom Valley Bible Church in San Jose. I was a substitute for the regular guy.
It was my first gig with headphones, no amps, and each person with his or her own mixer so we could hear whatever we wanted. I have no idea what it sounded like to the congregation, but what I heard sounded good.

#2851062 - 04/22/17 02:25 PM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: jeremy c]
EddiePlaysBass Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Belgium
"Been Hurt" by Uriah Heep. Originally recorded with John Lawton, later rerecorded with John Sloman on vocals and released as a B-side. It's always been a favourite of mine and I absolutely love Trevor Bolder's funky bass line. I nailed it, too! With the exception of two notes, which I have not figured out yet.

This is purely for my own enjoyment and personal development as a bass player. Chances of ever playing this song in a band are practically nil, but I had fun figuring it out, and seeing how Bolder plays over certain chords.

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

#2851111 - 04/22/17 08:34 PM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: Danzilla]
lug Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: League City,TX,UNITED STATES
Originally Posted By: Danzilla
"Walk In My Shadows" by Joe Bonamassa & Paul Rodgers; "Fooled Around & Fell In Love" by the Winery Dogs/Elvin Bishop; and "Walkin' the Dawg" by Tony Spinner. All for an audition that never happened, as the band decided to fold rather than replace the bass player. Another member was having some health issues, which played into it. But I can't help but feel like "Geez, they'd rather not play than have me in the band. Must have heard I know Lug."

https://app.box.com/shared/static/aemq3d9ldv.wav
I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

#2851422 - 04/24/17 09:56 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: lug]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Python

#2851836 - 04/25/17 05:11 PM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: Danzilla]
butcherNburn Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Onions Peppers Garlic
I didn't want to part with some old cassettes, which, because of the format, put them on the back shelf. So, last time I came across them I copied them to my computer. One side was an old jam a long recording from about 96 that I recorded while I had the flu and pretty nice fever. Hearing the coughs brought all that memory back. Toward the end was a completely improvised song that amazed me. I wish the part of the memory where I played that would have come back so easily. I'm still trying to nail it, all I need is a 103 fever and it's mine.

Edited by butcherNburn (04/25/17 06:57 PM)
Edit Reason: heads up

#2852640 - 04/29/17 01:11 PM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: butcherNburn]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
"So Whatcha Gone Do Now" by Public Enemy, b/c what I'm gonna do now is steal the kboard lines for a tune of my own.

[Caution: Explicit lyrics eek ]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naogoc4hyAE

#2853112 - 05/02/17 06:32 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: d]
SteveC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Grand Forks, North Dakota
A list of about 50 - starting a new band.

#2853807 - 05/05/17 04:38 PM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: SteveC]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm a solo singer/songwriter...last song I learned was Blind Faith's "Can't Find My Way Home." It was supposed to be deployed at my last gig, but I was too sick to hit the highs, so it's coming out at the next one.

Edited by hurricane hugo (05/05/17 04:39 PM)

#2854528 - 05/10/17 05:34 AM Re: What is the most recent song you learned, and why? [Re: hurricane hugo]
_Sweet Willie_ Offline
El Superfly Grande
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Brklyn, yo
"One in Seven" by Soulive for a band I'm in. Thx.

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.
Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.