Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond XK-5 Tips, Tricks & Other Cool Stuff

Way back on August 25th, 2004 JMcS started an XK-3 (and later an SK-1 and SK- 2) thread that over the years has (and continues to) glean much useful information concerning these instruments.

Hopefully he wont mind me starting a Hammond XK-5 thread. :)

To get things started, here are a few things Ive learned thus far.

As of this date (02/12/17), Hammond USA (http://hammondorganco.com) and Hammond Europe (http://www.hammond.eu) have no support files for the XK-5, e.g. manuals, updates, etc.

XK-5 Manual: the manual is included on a usb key shipped with the instrument; some units were shipped with a hard copy. An English version of the full XK-5 manual can be found here: http://global.suzuki-music.co.jp/pdf/00457-40195_V127Web.pdf

Updates: There have been 2 system software updates since the XK-5 was released (10/31/16 and 02/06/17). The latest update may solve the stuck notes/partials that some users have reported. The updates for downloading are here:

https://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/support/download/22497/

Updating the XK-5 to the latest version: go to the above link, then find and click on

xk5release2.zip(24.6MB)ダウンロード(2017/02/06) the update will download to your computer as a zip file. If your computer does not automatically decompress the zip, then unzip manually.

The folder will be called: xk5release2 inside the folder will be 5 sys files, a readmeE file in English, and a pdf XK-5_UpdateSystem in English. The read me file explains the fixes and lists the files updated, the pdf file contains a page from the full manual that explains how to do a system update. (See also the full manual on page 137 Using the USB Ports).

You should use an empty usb key - plug into the XK-5 and format the usb key. The formatted drive will contain the following folders in this hierarchy:

hammond > xk-5 > setup system

The folders are blank, unless you are saving the setups, then the setup folder will contain your setup file(s), e.g., SETUP01.set

NOTE: Before you transfer these system files to the XK-5, if you already have your own custom setups saved on the XK-5, you will want to save (back up) these settings to a usb key before proceeding.

Once your setup files are backed up (or if you dont have any setups), then you can proceed with the update.

Before updating I wrote down the software versions that came with it - you can find them by going to the System Edit Menu (page 122 manual):

I had versions : Main: 1.200 Wave Info 1.000 DSP0 1.016 DSP1 1.014 FPATCH 1.023 SUB 1.100 PANEL 1.400

A few observations: you can save setups to the USB drive (called USB To Flash Drive port) from the XK-5. You cannot save system files from the XK-5. There is a USB MASS STORAGE option that uses the to host usb port (next to the flash drive port on the back of the XK-5) to transfer additional files to a computer, but these are still not system files. To do a mass storage connect your computer via USB cable to the to host usb port on the back of the XK-5, then go to the system menu, usb, USB MASS STORAGE and select ON The only thing that happens is the ON flashes - look at your computer screen and a disk will appear. In it are the following folders in this hierarchy:

hammond > xk-5 > ini_setup setup system use_setup wav_info

(you can back up these files to your hard drive, when you are done, go to the XK-5 menu and change the ON back to OFF and it then disconnects from your computer.)

All these folders (from the mass storage dump) will contain files, except (again) the system folder. Apparently system files stay on the XK-5 and cant be backed up via usb. (At least I couldnt).

Ok, back to the update: Copy the sys files (that you downloaded) to the system folder on the USB drive. Then place the USB drive in the XK-5, go to update (see page 148 manual), select USB Flash and ENTER.

When done the menu will show Please power off Completed!!!

The manual says to just power up again and you are done, but the readmeE file that comes with the update concludes Please execute Default All after updating. So you need to go to the default menu (page 122 manual) and select Default All to reinitialize. Then you are done.

After the update the versions are: Main: 1.343 Wave Info 1.000 DSP0 1.023 DSP1 1.021 FPATCH 1.028 SUB 1.100 PANEL 1.400 (Wave, SUB and PANEL are unchanged.)

The organ works fine after the update. BTW after I did this update I did a factory reset to see what would happen to the versions - they remained the same, i.e., they did not revert to the original. Which makes me wonder if the update did not work how would I go back to the original sys files? Obviously, I dont completely understand how it works yet.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how are you liking the new x5 ?

I'm enjoying it a lot. For me, it was my first full organ console after many years of playing exclusively 88 note pianos - acoustic and digital - and 61 key synths. The last organ I had was a Hammond Porta B - a spinet with 2 44 note keyboards and a 13 note pedalboard. All the organs I had before that were also spinets.

Working the 25 note pedalboard, the 61 note keyboards and the 2 sets of drawbars per manual and the percussion is helping me understand how and why the instrument is played the way it is and allowing me to achieve the coordination to play in the Hammond style. It's interesting that what you learn when you are very young you never forget - it has been relatively easy to find my way quickly and accurately around the pedalboard without looking despite previously playing only 13 note small pedals. I guess that the first 13 pedals are about 75% of what is played in jazz considering that most of the notes fall within the first 1 1/2 octaves. What I never did with the tiny pedals was heel to toe - so now I am able to practice that.

I have stayed with the stock sounds so far but will start to venture into tweaking - this thing has a good effects section that I have not even scratched the surface of. Also the virtual multi contact system of 3 physical contacts can simulate 9 bus bar contacts by tweaking the sequential timing between the virtual bus bars and their order can be changed as well.

One of the reasons for not tweaking much is that I want to get good speakers or a Leslie to pair with it. I am currently using a Roland PM-03 Personal Drum Monitor - it's a laughable combination I guess, but the XK-5 actually sounds very good (at low volumes) through this thing.

I have had 2 Leslie models in the past - a vintage 122 and later a solid state 900 and I think the XK-5 Leslie SIM is very well done, especially listening with headphones. I think that Leslie SIMs are best when 2 speakers are used in stereo (or maybe one Spacestation?) to get closer to a real Leslie.

Way back on August 25th, 2004 JMcS started an XK-3 (and later an SK-1 and SK- 2) thread that over the years has (and continues to) glean much useful information concerning these instruments.

Hopefully he wont mind me starting a Hammond XK-5 thread. :)

Not at all, thanks for starting it. I haven't purchased an XK-5 (yet) and couldn't find the manual anywhere so I didn't have anything to contribute. I just downloaded the manual and may be starting to feel some gas.

Have you tried any button combinations to see if there are hidden voices etc?

Thanks for providing a link to the user manual.

I like that the USB sends both audio and midi. :cool:

I'm interested in the ability of the drawbars to send midi CC information. It appears on page 141 that there's the old (Xk-3C)way of doing this where they assign multiple drawbars to the same CC and differentiate them based on the range of values sent. I've never been able to figure out how to use this with VB3. But it also appears in the table right below that each drawbar has a unique CC assigned to it. Am I interpreting this correctly? That would be very good if true.

Question for you owners: How to you control the key contact click from a midi keyboard (or XL-3) controlling the lower manual? Do the virtual contacts (not physical obviously) parameters affect the sound?

Thanks a lot!

I just could update mine now. I got the XK-5 only a few week and played 2 gigs with it and last gig I got to make a restart in the middle of the show because suddenly was no more sound.

I hope now that doesn't happen any more after this new update.

With my old XK-3c I never got any problems.

Thanks for the manual. Weird it's still not on the web site. Band member just bought an XK-5 for his studio, said he had to have it. He traded in some huge bass cabinets he no longer wants to move.

I think the last piece for Hammond to conquer is the Leslie simulation. I have a Neo Ventilator 2 and it's going to be interesting to compare the internal simulation to the Vent.

I wish Hammond would put a Ventilator 2 inside the next model (XK-6) with the 5 knobs and switches. Many parameters can be changed but it is done through the menus. However, it could be said that Hammond wants a sub standard internal Leslie so people will buy the real thing, even if it's big equipment that is heavy.

Korg 01W/FD, Hammond XK-2, Neo Ventilator2, JBL Eon, Rhodes 88

I'm interested in the ability of the drawbars to send midi CC information. It appears on page 141 that there's the old (Xk-3C)way of doing this where they assign multiple drawbars to the same CC and differentiate them based on the range of values sent. I've never been able to figure out how to use this with VB3. But it also appears in the table right below that each drawbar has a unique CC assigned to it. Am I interpreting this correctly? That would be very good if true.

Its not rocket science, Logic/MainStage's Vintage B3 has a built-in option to select an SK/XK as the controller, also Roland VK, Korg CX and Electro.

If VB3 were not a legacy app I guess Guido would have mapped it as an option by now. Maybe this type of mapping is what AcousticSamples have in mind for the next update to B5.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

If VB3 were not a legacy app I guess Guido would have mapped it as an option by now. Maybe this type of mapping is what AcousticSamples have in mind for the next update to B5.

Hopefully these software developers don't look at the XK-3C as an oddball from the past and not worth writing a little extra code for. I'd like to think they see enough people looking to upgrade their sound without replacing their XK-3c - but maybe not.

Its not rocket science

When my wife says this to me I tell her it's more appropriate to say "It's not rocket science, but you may still be able to understand this". :wave:

Have vent 2. I have used bypass functions on organ sim and vent to "side-by-side" compare the two with vent the winner so far. Was hoping to have one less piece, but not yet. Have not tried any tweaks on organ sim, though. The difference shows up on fast speed.

On the SK1/2 the slowest fast speed setting is still too fast in the opinion of more than a few users, and players have posted the measured speed of real Leslie speakers to make their point. But Hammond's answer was always "well this is the authentic speed and we're not changing it". Might still be the issue? Anyway, try slowing down the top rotor's 'fast' speed setting.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Played the XK-5 at a rehearsal. I wanted to hook up my Vent2 but the band leader said I wouldn't need it (his studio). He has the half moon switch, even though the Leslie button is right there on the left side. I'd say the internal sim is good, but I also think the Vent2 is better and offers more control.

The feel of the XK-5 is great and the sounds are there. I basically set it up like Jimmy Smith with the Bb (full organ) and B preset (3 bars). There's 100 presets to access by spinning a wheel, the first few say Jimmy, Emmerson, Gimmie Some Lovin, and so on.

• 3 weeks later...

Had something weird happen to me at rehearsal playing the XK-5 tonight. If I swiped up from the bottom and hit the black preset keys by mistake, the organ would start making a rumbling sound, and the only way to get rid of it was to power off and on. Pressing the C preset did not work. The organ sound was there, but a constant rumbling was there even when no keys were being played.

I made it happen again after a few tries. The Top and Bottom preset button were on, so the black keys had the favorites loaded starting at Jimmy (00) and going up from there.

Most will be asking why I'm swiping the presets? Because I'm not used to playing the XK-5, mine is an XK-2, so it seems I just reached down that low not thinking. And why am I swiping from the very bottom? Because it's not a left hand jazz bass song but rock, a Three Dog Night tune called Eli's Coming.

I'll have to get used to not swiping starting at the very bottom, but it's something I always do on the XK-2. Just be aware that if your XK-5 starts rumbling, it means you swiped the presets. This is the single manual version, no bottom.

Has anyone used the USB audio interface yet? Is it actually an ASIO interface? It's hard to tell from the description in the manual.

What's the general consensus so far? Is it 3x better than a Mojo 61 in terms of playability and Hammond tone? It sounds like the Leslie sim may be a little lacking for some tastes.

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Has someone experimented with other tubes in the XK-5?

In my XK3c I changed them with Sylvania NOS 12BZ7 and Sylvaniy NOS 12AT7 and it was perfect. I had this tip from musicplayer here long time ago and it was perfect.

I could have a wonderful sounding distortion when I boost the tubes. Punchy but nice warm sounding distortion so I could left the drive knob on the Ventilator at about midday.

That's what I'm missing now in my XK 5.

I will try change the tubes too and will tell here if it does the trick.

Maybe someone have a tip on how to get a warm pleasant drive sound on the XK-5.

They changed a lot in managing the tubes and driver in XK-5.

This is a Hammond for Petes sake.

Shouldn't it kick ass on day one?

3600 bucks and it needs better Tubes, a better Leslie sim?

I'll check back next year.

Maybe their Leslie's should also get a USB Port too.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

^^^

On better tubes:

That is the unfortunate reality for any electronics that has tube(s). Modern tubes just are not equal in quality to what used to be made back when tubes were the predominant (or only) electronic active devices. Affects all manufacturers of today.

One does not see modern devices that are shipped with NOS or used OS tubes. (of course, at some time, this will become irrelevant due to total unavailability of the finite stock of these tubes).

Also, modern equipment runs tubes in "starved plate" mode, meaning using something like 12 volts on the plate. Old gear like a B3 runs more like 150 to 300 volts on low-level tubes, even higher on power output stages. The tube is thus operating on a very different part of it's available output curve.

Better sim:

Probably depends on who is evaluating, and for what type of playing. Even the best sim available does not sound EXACTLY like a real Leslie in the room.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

• 5 months later...

It took me a long time to tweak it until i was happy. In the meanwhile I'm fully happy with my Hammond Sound on the XK5.

I use it only with the Neo Ventilator 2 for the moment.

I got the XK3c that I still keep with the first Vent as reserve in case or in the rehearsal room for less schlepping.

Got the Uhl x3-2 too for more than 2 years but don't need it any more. I'll sell it. It's a good sounding Hammond clone but like the Hammond Suzuky better because of more boddy and warmth in my opinion. The hardware is much better build too in the XK5 and 3. Got many problems with the Uhl X3-2 but Uhl always helped me. It was one of the first series I must say.

With the XK5 didn't have any more hanging notes or no sounds in the middle of the show until the last update.

The reverb, chorus, percussions as the sound has improved vs XK3c.

I didn't spend much time with the intern XK5 Leslie, so I can't comment much about it. The Vent1 and 2 is a very good Leslie simulator and improve the sound if you don't have the real thing in my opinion.