Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crumar Mojo 61 Review - (LONG)

Has any one had trouble with the WiFi editor function on the 61. Just got mine a few weeks ago and for the first time last night I decided to connect to WiFi and get at the editor control so that I can load in the firmware. I want that clav!!..well I followed the manual and my cell phone (galaxy S4) found the Mojo in the Wi-Fi scan.. put in the 00000000 password and the home editor page popped up.. great!.. for about 5 seconds.. the the home page darkened and a prompt for a user name and password came up. Tried the 0 factory thing again ..no good.. reset the little button on the back of the mojo...no good.. now I don't have the home page at all..my phone still shows the mojo available in the list of available Wi-Fi connections but it has that little pad lock on the Wi-Fi symbol.. every time I try and connect it wants user name and password. Unfortunately I don't have another Wi-Fi device to try, but has anyone had this issue.. I want to get into that editor and get my clav among other things. Hoping the issues is with my phone ,but I don't know..

I have questions and don´t want to wade thru all the pages of this thread:

a)

Is MOJO 61 bi-timbral (now), so I can play p.ex. organ using the local keyboard and controls and play one of the other sounds, p.ex. e-pianos, via MIDI on an additional keyboard connected ?

b)

If yes,- what did I lose ?

One of the MIDI channels ( 1, 2 or 3) the organ normally uses, p.ex. lower manual or pedal and because THAT channel will then be used for the extra sound ?

Or does an extra sound play on it´s own extra MIDI channel then, p.ex. ch #4 ?

And how to select p.ex. type of e-piano (Tine, Reed, Clav) using the frontpanel,- and ideally on the fly ?

I see the "type" selector button to the right w/ the options VB3 / Pipe / Combo / EP,- but no sub-category button or shift-function to do so.

I´ve downloaded the manual and read it twice but couldn´t find the answers.

I urgently have to know ´cause I don´t use wifi mobile devices like smartphones, tablets and related apps and don´t think I want to be connected to a web based editor during performances.

OTOH, it seems to be the best single manual DSP organ clone available for a very attractive price.

thx

A.C.

I have questions and don´t want to wade thru all the pages of this thread:

a)

Is MOJO 61 bi-timbral (now),

No.

And how to select p.ex. type of e-piano (Tine, Reed, Clav) using the frontpanel,- and ideally on the fly ?

I see the "type" selector button to the right w/ the options VB3 / Pipe / Combo / EP,- but no sub-category button or shift-function to do so.

Use the 4 preset buttons A B (upper) and A B (lower). For instance, when selector says EP, Upper A = rhodes, Upper B = wurli, Lower A = clav, Lower B = acoustic.

Moe

---

No.

I can't understand why it isn't. I'm not sure that I could keep my wallet in my pocket if it was. Surely it's not that difficult of an upgrade to implement? Or am I missing something?

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

No.

I can't understand why it isn't. I'm not sure that I could keep my wallet in my pocket if it was. Surely it's not that difficult of an upgrade to implement? Or am I missing something?

SSM

If it's a matter of hardware resources, i.e. it doesn't have the horsepower to generate two sounds at once (and I don't know if that's the case or not), then it's not a matter of being able to update the software. I agree with you though, I probably couldn't resist buying one if it was bi-timbral. Especially with the lower manual add on.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

These instruments run on a DSP engine. Except for the acoustic piano, they are modelled. That takes a lot of resources - the entire DSP apparently.

Gemini achieves bitimbral operation by having 2 DSP engines. So it looks like Mojo 61 will always be monotimbral since it only has 1.

Moe

---

Surely it's not that difficult of an upgrade to implement?

It's amazing how often non-engineers say something like that. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Has any one had trouble with the WiFi editor function on the 61. Just got mine a few weeks ago and for the first time last night I decided to connect to WiFi and get at the editor control so that I can load in the firmware. I want that clav!!..well I followed the manual and my cell phone (galaxy S4) found the Mojo in the Wi-Fi scan.. put in the 00000000 password and the home editor page popped up.. great!.. for about 5 seconds.. the the home page darkened and a prompt for a user name and password came up. Tried the 0 factory thing again ..no good.. reset the little button on the back of the mojo...no good.. now I don't have the home page at all..my phone still shows the mojo available in the list of available Wi-Fi connections but it has that little pad lock on the Wi-Fi symbol.. every time I try and connect it wants user name and password. Unfortunately I don't have another Wi-Fi device to try, but has anyone had this issue.. I want to get into that editor and get my clav among other things. Hoping the issues is with my phone ,but I don't know..

There is a WIFI reset button on the back panel. Try that.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

You don't know that I'm not an engineer! Actually, you're right, I'm not. Now that the dsp situation has been explained, I get it. Shame though.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

These instruments run on a DSP engine. Except for the acoustic piano, they are modelled. That takes a lot of resources - the entire DSP apparently.

Gemini achieves bitimbral operation by having 2 DSP engines. So it looks like Mojo 61 will always be monotimbral since it only has 1.

Thanks Moe, that makes a lot of sense. I will stop hoping for bi-timbrality for this keyboard, and look at alternatives.

SSM

You don't know that I'm not an engineer! Actually, you're right, I'm not.

I knew, because no engineer would say that. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

You don't know that I'm not an engineer! Actually, you're right, I'm not.

I knew, because no engineer would say that. ;-)

Oh. OK. It seemed fairly simple to a lay person. As a non-engineer, my new thought is that they should have used a bit of foresight, and built the 61 with two dsp's, and a second set of drawbars. And an 11 pin Leslie socket, and an effects loop.

Here's a bit for you (with your engineer's hat on) to take exception to: I'm sure that wouldn't have cost much extra if they had done it at the design stage. :)

BTW, that's something else we non-engineers say! :laugh::laugh:

SSM

^^^

Crumar/GSi was running a PC morher board in their Mojo - the reason being that they had already invested time and energy in the x86 software and it had become economically feasible to stick a PC in an instrument. I'm going to assume a light install of Windows was used - although it may have been Linux or Ubuntu or one of those. I'm sure guys that have had to go into their Mojo to fix something know for sure. I wonder if it was under MS's radar out or if they paid MS a fee for the OS on each unit sold?

With the DMC-122 they took the bold step of designing their own DSP hardware and the time to port (or program from scratch) all the stuff Guido had already done for x86 (and OSX in some cases). That's a lot of fricken work - but I'm sure it will yield lower component costs, give them more control over their instruments, and possibly protect their intellectual property.

The Mojo61 seems to be a single DSP Gemini? So I guess it can run any of the models and samples that run on the Gemini. So it could have and could yet get a VA synth, any of the other sample work they've done, the trumpet model, etc. The issue is the controls or lack there of on the Mojo61 and size- maybe type of screen.

It's a pretty cool organ and electric piano centric first effort at a competitive price. It's aesthetics and design are less niche than the DMC-122. When the single manual DMC shows up or however they brand it - UltraMojo-73, that will be pretty exciting. Easily undercutting the Nord Stage's price point and besting the Hammond SK1 in sound engines.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

There is a WIFI reset button on the back panel. Try that.

Thanks after much finagling i finally got the editor up and did the upload.. and man, i love the clav and the pedal wha and pitch bend..and ALL the editing features are awesome.good riddance DX rhodes.. hello clav!! thanks Guido!

Thx,- that explains it.

My former impression (even I dunno why) was,- both use 2 DSPs.

So we´d need MOJO61 hardware revision 2 = Gemini hardware in the shell of MOJO 61.

I`d appreciate some more preset memory locations too then.

A.C.

Guido, if you're reading this, and if you are considering a bitimbral Mojo 73, then PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD give it a C-to-C layout. Anything else on board that's organ-centric enough to have drawbars and waterfall keys simply makes no sense. I was surprised that Nord didn't realize this when they released the first 73-key Electro. When Hammond announced the 73-key Sk1, I thought, "They won't make that same mistake. I mean, they're Hammond!" And then... well. But something tells me Guido would get this.

Guido, if you're reading this, and if you are considering a bitimbral Mojo 73, then PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD give it a C-to-C layout.

I would buy this in an instant if it had two sets of drawbars, an 11 pin Leslie socket and an effects loop.

And I don't think that I'm the only one, there are a LOT of posts saying " The only thing stopping me getting a Mojo 61 is that you can't play two sounds on it....."

SSM

Guido, if you're reading this, and if you are considering a bitimbral Mojo 73, then PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD give it a C-to-C layout.

I would buy this...

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

It didn't stop me... because I don't care about 2 sounds at once. I do care that the AP lags at fast tempos.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

I would appreciate any PM about where they bought Mojo 61 and the best price. Thanks in advance,

Barry

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

Thank you for reminding me. So, do you mean you don't care that the Acoustic Piano lags or or is that you can't notice it does?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."