Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

Got the Synth9, and returned it. Massive 'cracking' noise on retriggering of notes on the Mini Mood on the solo portamento voice. Other aspects were good. Polyphonic tracking of the guitar was near supernatural. It even effortlessly extracted chords after a distortion box, which should have had it glitching. Synth sounds all seemed to be variations on saw/triangle waves. Variations seemed to be 'signature' selections from the existing big EH HOG and MicroSynth pedals with limited adjustment. It has 20ms delay between the synth and dry outs. It's light as a feather and although not battery powered is rated at 100mA so should be easy to do. If they sort out the noise problem, and I subsequently tried 3 all with the same fault, I'll get one again. The underlying tech is good. It also shows the limits of guitar/synth control. Double stop faux steel bends easily accomplished and also demonstrates reasons for not using the Synth9 sounds for that purpose.

The Synth9 onboard compressor makes a difference. Haven't like the other *9 pedals with 'touch sensitivity' especially the organ types. I think the EH pitch-to-sound system may include touch/velocity conversion by default, and limited DSP capacity to exnclude a compressor on the organ types, so may be worth trying the organs with an outboard compressor in front.

Used it in parallel with a distortion box with a passive splitter at the synth-out with no problems. YMMV on that.

I saw that video before, and I'm still confuzzled.

There should be more & better explanations of the gear being driven through the effect. That little thing that looks like a toy pocket calculator is a tiny, inexpensive Synth, made by Teenage Engineering. We never even see the MicroBrute, an Analog MonoSynth, and there's no explanation of how the Drum Machine (Roland?) is driving the mini-Synth.

From what I can see and hear, the Pulsar seems to be a combination of a Sequenced Tremolo, with an Attack Delay. You could very likely work up a Patch like this in a good Multi-FX processor, with some effort.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Got the Synth9, and returned it. Massive 'cracking' noise on retriggering of notes on the Mini Mood on the solo portamento voice. Other aspects were good. Polyphonic tracking of the guitar was near supernatural. It even effortlessly extracted chords after a distortion box, which should have had it glitching. Synth sounds all seemed to be variations on saw/triangle waves. Variations seemed to be 'signature' selections from the existing big EH HOG and MicroSynth pedals with limited adjustment. It has 20ms delay between the synth and dry outs. It's light as a feather and although not battery powered is rated at 100mA so should be easy to do. If they sort out the noise problem, and I subsequently tried 3 all with the same fault, I'll get one again. The underlying tech is good. It also shows the limits of guitar/synth control. Double stop faux steel bends easily accomplished and also demonstrates reasons for not using the Synth9 sounds for that purpose.

The Synth9 onboard compressor makes a difference. Haven't like the other *9 pedals with 'touch sensitivity' especially the organ types. I think the EH pitch-to-sound system may include touch/velocity conversion by default, and limited DSP capacity to exnclude a compressor on the organ types, so may be worth trying the organs with an outboard compressor in front.

Used it in parallel with a distortion box with a passive splitter at the synth-out with no problems. YMMV on that.

I'm sorry to hear that, icarusi! I've read that some of these EHX '9 series pedals have been having quality and reliability issues. Some other GPF members might chime in on the matter... ?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Interesting, and promising- considering what might come further along the road here...

__ IK Multimedia is proud to present the brand new Fulltone® Collection for AmpliTube for Mac/PC

____________ [video:youtube]

It seems to me that sometimes I prefer the example-recording using the actual pedal in this- and sometimes, I prefer the digital-modeling...

Shameless GP Classifieds notification:

____ Pedaltrain PT-Pro-SC pedalboard and soft-case

Stock photos originally from manufacturer's site:

____ http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/pedaltrain-pro-pedal-board-soft-case-large.jpg

____

• 2 weeks later...
Nice!

I found this:

[video:youtube]

Env. Controlled Harm... ?! Wha... ?! :crazy::/:rawk:;):D

This pedal sure has you, Dannyalcatraz, Winston PSmith, and hurricane hugo written aaalllllll over it! Am I wrong? Is there anyone that I missed? :crazy::cool:

Hmmmmnn; I'd be interested in how some of those sounds sounded when sounding through the sound of an overdriven sounding or distorted sounding tube-amp or pedal sound... ;)

Seriously, some of the sounds- such as around 2:32 there in the ProGuitarShop vid- strike me as what I'd like when feeding a distorted tube-amp, so that overall, the distortion tone would be a bit more warmly 'traditional' and smoothed out, but with that quirky textural morphing in the middle... know what I mean? "Stacking" is a term often applied to such serial deployment...

I've achieved that sort of thing with my VFE Fiery Red Horse ("triangle"-era Big Muff based fuzztortion)) by dialing-back its Power control- effecting a bit of voltage-starvation to three crucial points of its circuitry- for a barky, strangling sound hitting the "Lead"/OD/Dist. Channel of my amp. Less jagged, sputtery fuzz, animated midrange character shifting and weirdness, very cool...

It'd also be interesting to hear how it responds to volume-swells and/or compression before its input.

Or how about inserting it into the feedback-loop of an echo pedal? Effecting and re-effecting and infecting and redistructing each echo-repeat in turn? :crazy:

:laugh: Haahh! "Who's That Lady" kinda sorta sounds with the neck-pickup and its tone-knob rolled-back there at around 3:33. Almost sounds like some kind of flanger or phaser modulation is in effect, as well- just the inherent dynamic textural response, I suspect? Nice.

Nice riffery; settings that sound a li'l more closerer to Classic Rock tones. Nice.

I like how a little ring-mod-ish squirreliness comes in around the edges- or sometimes takes over altogether!- sort of like some of the artifacts squidged out by an Octavia style octave-fuzz when pushed.

Yo!

Niiiiiiiiiice. You know how I love octave fuzz, both up and down- especially when a dry signal can be blended-in to taste.

I dig this. Beautiful finish graphics, by the way.

Compare the Okto-Nøjs to Foxrox Octron 2 (I have, love, and rock an original-iteration Octron; Octron 2 adds individual stomp-switches for Oct-Up, Direct, and Oct-Down), and Mu-FX Octave Divider.

Speakin' o' TWA, I think that I could really like their Great Divide 2.0 Analog Synth Octaver, particularly if paired with my Sustainiac Model C acoustic-feedback generator and my Boss RT-20 Leslie/rotary sim pedal, or my phaser or flanger... I enjoy copping keyboard-like sounds while still sounding like 'me', instead of yet another guitar player with a POG or '9 series pedal...

________

________

Slightly OT:

I'm sitting in a Thai restaurant eating breakfast. Never been to this one before, and it's gooood.

But the owner is watching something online that seems to be a talent or variety show, but right now sounds disconcertingly like a Miku Stomp demo vid. I almost shot noodles out of my nose...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Something a bit more subtle:

Nice. :cool:

I saw one of these at my FLUMS; looks like even more fun than the Prometheus.

While there are a lot of cool sounds in that stomp- W 0 W, that rearranged Beatles medley is absolutely FANTASTIC! (And the "Don't Worry Be Happy" quotes are, too!)

the latest from the people behind the Dream Sequence pedal:

@hurricane hugo - Thanks, I think you just sent me on my next quest . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

[font:Comic Sans MS]new stuff![/font]

Wow, I liked that a lot more than I thought I was going to; someday I might actually want to have TWO of those- one to have after a looper to process the repeating loops coming OUT of the looper, and another to have for my 'straight'/pre-looper material, for both processing what goes INTO the looper, and what I might play parallel to the repeating-loops, over them- dig?

I really like how it sounds like a tape-flavored alternative to chorus modulation, without the obnoxious LFO waveform-sweep of a chorus. Nice. :cool:

I already love the random glitchy artifacts and crinkly wrinkles in the repeats of my Strymon El Capistan when I have the Tape Crinkle maxed and the Wow & Flutter modulation quite high; if I could add some of the Shallow Water's quirky rippling to just the echo repeats of the El Cap, I'd really love it!

• 2 weeks later...
[font:Comic Sans MS]Lots of what we seem to post is boutique stuff.

Feels strange to be dropping some BOSS in here.[/font]

I have and love a Boss RT-20 Leslie/rotary-sim; it sounds amazing in 'stereo'. An RT-20 was good enough for Gary Moore to use for the Hendrix song "Angel" during his Blues for Jimi concert- it sounded great, like a real-live Leslie!

Never had a Boss pedal fail. I've had MXR, Rats, Visual Sound, Morley, EHX, Tech21, Vox, Thomas Organ Co., DeArmond etc..... in the shop but never a Boss.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Haven't killed any of my Bosses* yet, either. And the RT-20 is a solid piece of kit. One of the few I haven't tried to improve upon with another pedal purchase.

* At least, not any pedals....

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I've seen exactly one broken Boss pedal, an ancient T-Wah at a pawnshop. The switch plate was cracked where it screwed into the main body of the pedal.

That Boss switcher isn't exactly a new concept for them. I had a Boss/Roland catalog from the late 80's/early 90's(?) that showed a bunch of Boss pedals arranged on this large combination Switching System/Pedalboard, the SCC-700 Sound Control Center. It held 7 Boss pedals, and it was bigger than most modern Multi-FX.

That Boss switcher isn't exactly a new concept for them. I had a Boss/Roland catalog from the late 80's/early 90's(?) that showed a bunch of Boss pedals arranged on this large combination Switching System/Pedalboard, the SCC-700 Sound Control Center. It held 7 Boss pedals, and it was bigger than most modern Multi-FX.

Yeah, but did it include a flexible multi-effects with what, 112 effects types, USB-connected computer-editing, etc. etc.? This looks pretty cool...

This is more a MFX with patchable, switchable external effects-loops, than a switcher with bells 'n' whistles...

It can be deployed within the "four cable" topology, as well.

Yeah, but did it include a flexible multi-effects with what, 112 effects types, USB-connected computer-editing, etc. etc.? This looks pretty cool...

This is more a MFX with patchable, switchable external effects-loops, than a switcher with bells 'n' whistles...

It can be deployed within the "four cable" topology, as well.

Point well made, brother. It's a very cool concept, and very compact, easy to incorporate into a pedalboard.

In fairness, I'm not the target market for this device. I can see it being ideal for someone who just has a couple of pedals, looking to expand or upgrade to a MFX, without giving up the pedals they've been using.

Point well made, brother. It's a very cool concept, and very compact, easy to incorporate into a pedalboard.

In fairness, I'm not the target market for this device. I can see it being ideal for someone who just has a couple of pedals, looking to expand or upgrade to a MFX, without giving up the pedals they've been using.

I'm essentially with ya- although it might be just the thing, if a bit extravagant, for my EH '9 series and Boss RT-20 deployment quandaries, being able to easily switch them on and off together, perhaps with an EQ to tame the EH '9 series' excessive brightness, while leaving my amp-settings intact for my guitar... I don't currently have as much need for that as I did a little while back, but, I may again...

Just saw the price; $399.99, pretty much everywhere. I'd wait a few months, maybe a little longer, see if that price drops.

I'm not sure that it's exactly the right cross-over product at the right time. The Boss GT-100 is just $100 more, and you have access to every type of effect within the GT-series MFX, not just 6 onboard effects + three outboard pedals. Andy Summers, no less, says that we're living in the Golden Age of pedals, right now, and he should know. OTOH, more people are moving to VST's and iOS Apps, for a lot less money than $400. It'll be interesting to see if this thing takes off, or if it becomes a blow-out item in six months.