Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2854085 - 05/07/17 01:38 PM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Welcome aboard Paul Scott Rock! I too love a little reverb on my Nylon acoustics. Really brings it alive and makes them sound sweet. I also enjoy practicing my scales over my looper backups. +1 on playing from the soul/heart. Congrats on being able to provide some nice listening music to those upscale restaurants and weddings gigs. Works out nice playing at vineyards too If they have them back there?)...any way it's nice to have another old 50 years of playing guy on the forum! cool

GP Island
#2854124 - 05/07/17 05:00 PM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I'll join in the welcomes here too, Paul Scott. smile
Whitefang

#2854134 - 05/07/17 05:58 PM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: whitefang]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I've been trying to think my way through a live rig. I took a look at a couple of amps. (Fender and Fishman). They are a convenient 1 piece solution but for the cost I don't think I would be getting much. I think I would rather use my EV ZXA1 powered speakers. I have some small Yamaha mixers I could mount to a small pedaltrain pedal board but my mixers do not have verb. I like a little verb and possibly compression.

I've looked at a Fishman, Zoom and Boss DI effects pedals I could put in front of the mixer but they use modeling. I don't I want modeling. I like the sound of my guitars. Maybe all I need is a reverb pedal. I have no idea yet. Back when I cover acoustic steel string parts in a country band they just ran my Ovation from a passive DI into the PA snake and sent it back through my floor wedge. The Zoom A3 looks interesting but I don't know what the modeling does.

Edited by CEB (05/07/17 06:56 PM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2854310 - 05/08/17 04:21 PM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Yes, welcome to the GPF, Paul Scott Rock!

Loved your story on the "...your first guitar"-thread.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2855313 - 05/15/17 01:53 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Originally Posted By: whitefang
Yeah. Montreal. I might have mentioned a cousin that for reasons I've long forgotten used to split time living in the Detroit area(lived with me and my brother for a few years when I was about the four and five year old range) then Memphis Tenn. then Montreal.

Me and the ex visited her and my aunt back in '72 when they were living in Verdun( a suburb) and +1,000! on Montreal being a beautiful city!

Well back to the matter at hand....

Only payed a friend's nylon stringed guitar(the one he was learning classical on) during a few jams we'd have. Easy on the fingers, but couldn't get the VOLUME out of it for the music I was playing on it. I couldn't do them justice, so I'll stick with my old steel string acoustic. wink

Glad to learn you're back in the States Skip. And just in time too. I mean, it must be getting nigh on GODZILLA SEASON over in Japan by now, ain't it? smile
Whitefang

WF
We`re talking about a SUMMER visit here, lke in August. I`ll be handcuffed to a desk before then.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2855322 - 05/15/17 04:33 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well I hope while in Montreal you take the time to visit the impressive PLACE VILLE MARIE and it's awe-ispiring two or three floors of UNDERGROUND shopping mall!

My cousin workd in that building and took us there. I'm STILL impressed with it 45 YEARS LATER!
Whitefang

#2855930 - 05/18/17 03:15 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I`ll ask the special someone I want to see there about it, thanks for the tip!

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2856084 - 05/19/17 04:37 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Anytime Skip. Have a great time! smile
Whitefang

#2857257 - 05/25/17 10:30 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: whitefang]
Paul Scott Rock Offline

Loc: Ohio
Thank you It's good to have new friends. I want to know what kind of strings you use.I have been trying different types I think I need to use something heavier . The lighter gauge strings wear out too fast and make too much string noise and they keep stretching for weeks. I am going to be looking for a better guitar in a few months I hope.
Does elixer make a nylon string ? Lay some nylon string knowledge on me . I know I like the blue steel electric strings and I usually put elixer on my taylor unless I'm broke which is most of the time then I go with Martin strings. 10 s.

#2857269 - 05/25/17 11:59 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Paul Scott Rock]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
http://www.juststrings.com/dad-ej46lp.html <---I really like these polished strings by D'Addario EJ46LP Pro Arte. They are made for recording but I use them all the time. A lot less string squeak on the wound strings. They come with two 3rd strings so you can decide which one you like best. You can throw the composite on and see if you like it at all. If not, then throw the clear one on. I prefer the clear one .0410 over the composite .037. (.0285 E, .0327 B, .0410 G or .037 G, .028 D, .035 A, .045 E). For years I was hoping someone would make polished strings for steel string guitars and you can now get them at Strings and Beyond Hand Polished by Pyramid. cool

Edited by Larryz (05/25/17 12:49 PM)

#2857274 - 05/25/17 12:32 PM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Larryz]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I used nothing but Blue Label Albert Augustines for years. But this year I needed strings and no one local had Augustines in stock. I got the high tension D'Addario strings Larry suggested. I like them a lot.

They settled in pretty much in about 3 days. The G string took about 5 days. The package says they are high Tension and they had nice snap and was bright enough but not too brittle and vibrato felt fine. Let us know when you are looking to buy a new guitar. We like to help other people spend their money. grin

Edited by CEB (05/25/17 12:33 PM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose