Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2851957 - 04/26/17 08:15 AM Any Nylon Players here?
CEB Offline
10k Club

Anybody else like to play nylon string guitars? I prefer them over steel string acoustics. I come from a classical guitar background.

We are trying to start a new project where I specialize in nylon string play. A friend who .... ironically enough was a Classical guitar major in college will be playing steel string. The plan is no drums or electric instruments. 2 guitars, bass (guitar and fretless), violin, percussionist playing mostly Cajon. If I play any keys it will be Melodica or accordion. We'll see if it gets traction. I'm just tired of loud stuff.

A lot of instrumental music. Versions of various past hits, some jazz, some classical tunes, and Flamenco inspired stuff. Celebrated by buying another guitar LOL.

Edited by CEB (04/26/17 08:16 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes !!!
So can a auto Mechanic. " - Stokes Hunt

GP Island
#2851960 - 04/26/17 08:20 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: CEB]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
I've been looking at the Godin nylon-string Guitars with the Synth Access, and the Craviola models as well. I'm not really a Nylon player, but I love that sound, especially for Bossa Nova. At one point, Alvarez made a nice nylon-string A/E, with a narrower neck for Jazz & Bossa Nova, but I can't remember the model?

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2851967 - 04/26/17 08:50 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Winston Psmith]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Synth Access would be really cool. Al Di Meola has a synth pickup on one of his Philpe Conde guitars and on his Ovation steel string. It adds some interesting sounds to some of his live stuff.

#2851969 - 04/26/17 08:55 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: CEB]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Been a very long time since I played a nylon string guitar. I owned one back in the 1960's, and pI layed it a while. I liked the nylon tone better than steel, but I gravitated to electric guitars (Which I can and do play at very low volumes usually) The classical axe went by the wayside a few months after the electric came into my life. In fact I can't recall what I did with it. I think I gave it to one of my pre teen sons, and only the deity knows what happened to it after that.

#2851972 - 04/26/17 09:00 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Winston Psmith]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

If you're going to mic it, you might want to try the mic mount used in the video at link: La Santa Cecilia

...I seriously need to get my ol' Giannini nylon-string up and running again.

#2851998 - 04/26/17 10:06 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: hurricane hugo]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I love just about all types of guitars! AND, I play fingerstyle already, no matter what kind of guitar I'm playing, never using a pick- which kind of lends itself to playing a Classical guitar...

I have owned- sort of- a weird old '50s or '60s Silvertone (Sears!) "classical" guitar. The reason that I say "sort of owned" is that it was given to me as a gift by the original owner, someone who has repeatedly asked if I could loan or give it back to them- which I have- and then given it to me again. grin

She told me that it originally came with actual gut strings, and that she much preferred their tone, if not their consistency.

The first time she gave it to me, I gave it a really thorough cleaning (which it REALLY, BADLY needed!) and carefully oiled the fretboard (which was incredibly dried-out). it could use a new/modified bridge-design with multiple holes to allow for tying/stringing with a steeper break-angle behind the bridge, for improved tone and sustain. I probably would have undertaken such a project, if it wasn't being asked for again and again, and not 'really' mine...

It's not much of a guitar, but it has its charms, and I really enjoyed the change of pace with different types of strings and tension and all. I also really enjoyed using it for slide, tuned to Open Tunings, particularly Open-G6 or Open-A6, basically Open-G or Open-A with the 4th-string tuned up to the 6th-interval (E and F#, respectively), or Open-D6 or Open-E6, with that 6th on the open 5th-string... Tangy Western-Swing or Hawaiian vibe! With the set-up just-right, a little fretting-behind-the-slide is fun and expands the possibilities of just such a guitar...

That may seem a little odd- I thought so at first- but then I remembered that much of slide- and steel-guitar's heritage comes from early Hawaiian players who took "steels" to their gut or nylon strung "Spanish" guitars, using things like railroad-spikes and knives and tools and such to produce what became Hawaiian Guitar, and ultimately gave rise to lap steel, "Dobro", electric lap-steel, and pedal-steel guitars, techniques, and styles.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2852019 - 04/26/17 11:06 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northern California
I have two nylon Taylors which I have been neglecting and need to start playing them again. They have a narrow neck as compared to a classical guitar. They are made for guys/gals who just want to add the nylon sound to their arsenal without having to deal with the much wider classical neck. I love the sound and love playing them when I do take them out of the case. Instead of Larryz, I refer to myself as Lorenzo! as every thing I play has a Latin vibe to it LOL! cool

#2852093 - 04/26/17 03:39 PM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
In the 70's I mostly played an inexpensive handmade classical guitar I picked up while living in Chile. That got me through my college years & some thereafter. I don't know what became of that guitar, but I've had a few others since, currently playing a nice Eastman classical prototype when the nylon itch needs to be scratched.

#2852098 - 04/26/17 04:03 PM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I had a Godin SynthAccess that I sold to my then-housemate, and he still uses it as his primary guitar as he focuses on Brasilian music and nylon guitar is the tradition in most Brasilian genres.

I went without for a few years, then a couple of years ago bought a mid-range Kremona classical guitar that is my favourite ever. Bulgarian made, it's a bit different from the Spanish school.

I've been looking for a good flamenco for years, They are more expensive to make and thus harder to find at the intermediate level. Every time I think I find one, they disappear as an available option. I guess the USA isn't big on flamenco.

#2852172 - 04/27/17 06:31 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Mark Schmieder]
CEB Offline
10k Club

This is the model of my new guitar that is on the way. I wanted an electric nylon string and I wanted something brighter than my classical. It should get here May 1st or 2nd. Spruce top, Cypress sides and back, mahogany neck, rosewood bridge and rosewood cap on the headstock.

I may pickup a used Cordoba C7 cedar Classical electric if I like this one. I played the C7 and liked it but I am not familiar with the Fishman Presys system. It uses both an internal mic and a piezo under saddle pickup and allows you to blend between the two. Also has built in tuner.

Edited by CEB (04/27/17 06:40 AM)

#2852199 - 04/27/17 08:27 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: CEB]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

That's beautiful, CEB!

I absolutely love LOVE love cedar tops, whether on flat-top steel-string or classical nylon-string guitars.

I would like a "classical" guitar with some radius to its fretboard, and slightly narrower string-spacing more like what's much more commonly found on steel-string flat-tops. A rarity, I'm sure, and very expensive to have custom-made, or even modified on an existing guitar!

#2852211 - 04/27/17 09:10 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Actually that seems to be a trend right now. Cordoba has what they call the Fusion Series. Yamaha has the NTX series and Taylor is doing some stuff also. There is a market for steel string players that want the sound or comfort of a nylon string guitar but don't want the flat fret board and 2" neck width.

#2852212 - 04/27/17 09:15 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: CEB]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: CEB
Actually that seems to be a trend right now. Cordoba has what they call the Fusion Series. Yamaha has the NTX series and Taylor is doing some stuff also. There is a market for steel string players that want the sound or comfort of a nylon string guitar but don't want the flat fret board and 2" neck width.

+1 CEB, my two Taylors I talked about in my earlier post fit the bill perfectly. The necks are not as wide as the classical nylons and they are really easy to get used to for us regular guitar players (much the same as Caevan is describing). The NS34CE has spruce and the NS74CE has a cedar top. Congrats on your new guitar! Keep us posted and I'll be waiting for your review! cool

Edited by Larryz (04/27/17 09:29 AM)

#2852224 - 04/27/17 10:01 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Larryz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: CEB

Originally Posted By: Larryz
+1 CEB, my two Taylors I talked about in my earlier post fit the bill perfectly. The necks are not as wide as the classical nylons and they are really easy to get used to for us regular guitar players (much the same as Caevan is describing). The NS34CE has spruce and the NS74CE has a cedar top. cool

That all sounds very good to me!

#2852292 - 04/27/17 03:08 PM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
MartinFingerpick Offline

Loc: Ohio

I played nothing but classical for close to a decade, after I got tired of bars and hauling tons of gear everywhere. I still have a cheap Yamaha classical but don't play it often enough to have any chops. I still play mostly fingerstyle but steelstring stuff. Hopefully after I retire (I can see the finish line!) I'll dust off the classical repertoire again.

I dig the ensemble idea. I always liked John Williams attempt at prog-rock with Sky back in the dim and distant past.

#2852409 - 04/28/17 07:56 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: CEB]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I don`t often wear nylons, but when I do... grin
This is a perky little one I picked up in the Philippines
I`m not keen on the idea of hitting it with any more climate changes than absolutely required. It got all the way to N.Y. intact, and that`s where it stays for now. The fretboard is unlaquered.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2852425 - 04/28/17 09:11 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: skipclone 1]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
I don`t often wear nylons, but when I do... grin
This is a perky little one I picked up in the Philippines
I`m not keen on the idea of hitting it with any more climate changes than absolutely required. It got all the way to N.Y. intact, and that`s where it stays for now. The fretboard is unlaquered.

Ooooh, that's lovely, Skip!

Is that mahogany-bodied and cedar-topped?

That's a combination that I dearly love in an acoustic guitar, be it strung with steel or nylon!

#2852433 - 04/28/17 10:23 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
Nice guitars!
I have owned nylon string guitars, mostly inexpensive ones. I'd like to get another one, since I do dabble in classical guitar and have trouble getting a good sound playing fingerstyle on a steel string, which is why I haven't focused much on fingerstyle over the years, much as I love to hear it!
John McLaughlin played a classical guitar with synth access in the early 90s, and Chet Atkins played a solid body nylon string guitar with pickups at times.
As to preferring nylon to steel string or vice versa, both can be quite beautiful in the right hands!

#2852575 - 04/29/17 08:01 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Eric Iverson]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
I like playing them but don't own one or have a real classical touch.
I want to point out the new "Besame Mucho" thread (as well as older ones) from Mark Huessey [aka Markblues]. That cat's likely yer best contact here.

----------------------------------------
You have yer own interests for repertoire but I'd like to point out there's a lotta material that may not be apparent from outside the classical or jazz, etc, idioms.

For example, chk this tune out...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU2JE7L124A

While played on an electric (by Bill Harkleroad, aka, Zoot Horn Rollo, of Capt Beefheart, uh, sorta fame) it's right up Classical Alley.

#2852579 - 04/29/17 08:31 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Caevan-
I think the top is cedar but the body is kamagong, often referred to as `Philippine ebony`. It`s dense but not as hard as African ebony. Still, it`s good for export guitars-this one weathered the climate change well-once. Like I said, I`m not pushing my luck.

#2852657 - 04/29/17 05:17 PM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: skipclone 1]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Caevan-
I think the top is cedar but the body is kamagong, often referred to as `Philippine ebony`. It`s dense but not as hard as African ebony. Still, it`s good for export guitars-this one weathered the climate change well-once. Like I said, I`m not pushing my luck.

'S in New York... I'm in New York... Jus' sayin'... wink

#2852751 - 04/30/17 09:35 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
Caevan-

'S in New York... I'm in New York... Jus' sayin'... wink

Very beautiful guitar Skip! Next time you're in NY, I hope you and Caevan will give us a demo! I'd love to hear that baby! cool

#2852900 - 05/01/17 07:04 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Larryz
Caevan and I have spoken over the phone but, actually within New York state we are quite a distance apart. Even a two hour train ride to my former college town would barely get me 30% of the way.
That said, I`ve never recorded anything with this guitar, The studio where I recorded part of my video soundtrack would be a good place to return to-and I believe I`ll be in N.Y. over the summer.
Please stay tuned on that one.

#2852903 - 05/01/17 07:23 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@ Skip, It would be cool if U2 could get together in the studio! Looks like Caevan may be in for a road trip this summer LOL! coffee

#2853681 - 05/05/17 03:48 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That would be some big fun!
Well there`s never enough time-there`s someone in Montreal I`d really like to spend a day or two with, and my mom may be visiting our relatives in Minnesota at the same time I`m back-we have to work out details.

#2853709 - 05/05/17 07:56 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well you may as well work Bartholomew in too while you're in Montreal. I was there once and toured the city with a couple of gals I met on the west coast while they were on vacation. It was a beautiful city with everyone speaking French and all the highway signs and building signs and street signs in French, you really feel like you are in a foreign country. I loved it there and there are only two cities I would love to return to some day Montreal and Sydney...I know you'll be busy and will work in a little fun too! Au Revoir cool

#2853970 - 05/06/17 11:33 PM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Merci Monsieur Larryz-
I`ll try to fit as much as possible without burning myself out-a constant struggle, even when I`m not traveling.

#2853984 - 05/07/17 03:22 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Yeah. Montreal. I might have mentioned a cousin that for reasons I've long forgotten used to split time living in the Detroit area(lived with me and my brother for a few years when I was about the four and five year old range) then Memphis Tenn. then Montreal.

Me and the ex visited her and my aunt back in '72 when they were living in Verdun( a suburb) and +1,000! on Montreal being a beautiful city!

Well back to the matter at hand....

Only payed a friend's nylon stringed guitar(the one he was learning classical on) during a few jams we'd have. Easy on the fingers, but couldn't get the VOLUME out of it for the music I was playing on it. I couldn't do them justice, so I'll stick with my old steel string acoustic. wink

Glad to learn you're back in the States Skip. And just in time too. I mean, it must be getting nigh on GODZILLA SEASON over in Japan by now, ain't it? smile
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (05/07/17 03:24 AM)

#2853999 - 05/07/17 06:27 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: CEB]
Paul Scott Rock Offline

Loc: Ohio
Greetings fellow musicians. I do play the nylon string guitar for my living. I play in restaurants mostly , weddings , where ever I can . I love to play my nylon string guitar. I have a 1970 Yamaha that I have been abusing for all these years and no one can stop me. ( Evil laugh ) I took lessons on it for a few months many years ago. And I tried to learn theorie. I knew a man names Joe Mateo in Oceanside Long island back in the 1970s who played guitar for a living . He played a big hollow body electric guitar.
I like to watch Estes Tonne on you tube. Some vids Estes is surrounded by people, and some vids people just walk by.I suspect that when he plays in plazas in Mexico the people all stop and listen. But when he plays in American places, they walk by. That is just my feeling. Americans can't be bothered.
So I play in upscale restaurants. Where people are having dinner. So they hear me.I use reverb delay and it sounds so beautiful .
I also use a loop station . I put a simple chord structure and play my scales. I play my heart. I play whatever I feel. I do not play structured classical music. I play my soul. I am the luckyest person who ever lived. I worked my whole life to be able to do this and I made it. It was a long road and I am still on it. Still learning. I also play steel string guitars. I enjoy delta style blues. I like to sing and I play blues harp too.
I just joined this board ,I want to ask questions. I have a million of them. Because after some fifty years of playing guitar, I am starting to make progress.

#2854011 - 05/07/17 07:47 AM Re: Any Nylon Players here? [Re: Paul Scott Rock]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Welcome aboard Paul Scott Rock. I also feel like after 50 years of playing guitar I'm starting to make progress.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose