Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Running

Phred

Joe, good to hear you never bail! :)

I can vouch for running with the wife. We have a great time. It's funny, she is in such better condition than me and could leave me in the dust no propblem, yet whenever I run with her my mile times are significantly slower. I think it's because we talk a lot - which is a good thing! I hope Mrs. Muscara finds a way to like it. :thu:

I hope Mrs. Muscara finds a way to like it. :thu:
I don't think my mom will start running anytime soon. She's 87. ;) We will see about my wife*.

Funny about your times together. We shall see what Lori and I do when she gets there. I have to be careful because she doesn't like to be pushed, nor feel like my expectations of her are too high. She makes me walk a fine line between encouragement and leaving her the hell alone!

Meanwhile, I've discovered that I need to be better about warming up and using walk intervals. I seem to be doing better balancing those in right now. I'm just doing them "by ear" but I feel like when I do it right, I run more overall.

*She didn't change her name. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Whoa Tommy. Man that's outstanding ! :2thu:

I'd have to go back and look through my "Jerome" logs going back about 24 years ago, and go up through age 39 into my late my 40s but I don't believe , even in my prime, I ever got up to 2400 miles for the year. That's around 46 miles a week average. That's a lot of running ! Congrats. Do you do races ?

Joe- yeah man just maybe alternate walking and running till those shin splint issues go away. Maybe concentrate on time as opposed to miles. Just make sure you have good supportive running shoes, not cross trainers or some other BS shoes they market as ok for running. ;)

Jeff Galloway , along with many, has a good and sensible program for beginning runners. A huge part of running is restraint and common sense.

Thanks Dave! No races for me - I have never been fast and I don't like to push myself for better times. I seem to get injured every time I do that. I am unbelievably consistent. I average around 49 miles a week and the 7 mile times are usually within a minute of each other. Extremely hot weather or more recently, very rainy weather might result in an anomaly of 5 minutes but normally I'm within a minute of my total time each run and often within 5 seconds. I guess the body does what the body does!

I only wear Nike Pegasus 32 (now Pegasus 33) shoes and get new ones every three months. The best thing I ever did was to purchase, at my wife's strong suggestion and over my own strong objections, really good running shorts and shirts. I used to run in cotton t-shirts and shorts. I bought a Lululemon running shirt and one pair of their shorts and after one run I bought seven pairs of each. The sweat disappears, they never smell, you can wear them a second time in a row if you have to (important for me because of heavy work travel) and they last forever. Best investment I ever made and I would have never done it on my own.

I've been using CBD oils for pain management (I know, controversial) and I literally run pain-free now. I don't take a single big-pharm medication, don't drink alcohol and my BP is 110/70. I can't recommend running enough to everybody I meet and trust me, I am not the prototypical runner! I was 6'2 and 240 pounds and walking to the fridge used to be an ordeal! It was hard work but once you're there it takes 50 minutes of your day and you can eat what you want and enjoy life.

Off my soap box now. Have a great week everybody!

The best thing I ever did was to purchase, at my wife's strong suggestion and over my own strong objections, really good running shorts and shirts. I used to run in cotton t-shirts and shorts. I bought a Lululemon running shirt and one pair of their shorts and after one run I bought seven pairs of each. The sweat disappears, they never smell, you can wear them a second time in a row if you have to (important for me because of heavy work travel) and they last forever. Best investment I ever made and I would have never done it on my own.

I'm gonna try those shirts and shorts! I've used microfiber against cold and it's like a miracle fabric the way it deals with temperature and sweat. Thanks for the tip!

Another day of me getting lucky.

More often than not, it seems like I manage to get windows of it not raining here when I need to run. When I woke up today, it was pouring. By the time I was ready to run, it had stopped. The streets were wet and I wore a cap in case it started up again, but it didn't.

In other news, yesterday was a great run and I probably ran more than I ever had. Today was harder. I'm not sure if I'm still recovering a bit from yesterday, or if it's just other factors that cause day-to-day variability. Still, I was able to run longer segments than I probably have been not too long ago.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 1 month later...

Today, I'm unlucky as I just heard some storms rolling in. I'm killing time while I wait for them to pass.

I wanted to ask you guys some questions about your running. How often do you run? How far, and for how long?

I broke the 5k barrier the other week (I had been running the distance, but not straight through before that) and I'm running about 6k every day. It takes me around 38 - 40 minutes, I think. Depends on the day, of course. :)

Joe,

Congrats on the 5K barrier.

During the warm weather I run as often as possible. Everyday if possible. 4 or 5 miles usually and once a week I'll go longer to 7 or 8. How far depends on how I feel, what I did the day before, what I want to do the next day, weather, darkness etc...

If I'm prepping for a half marathon the mileage increases pretty dramatically.

In the winter, I do 5K on the treadmill 4 days a week. 5K is about all I can stand to do on that thing.

Regards,

Joe

I run the same route - 4.25 miles (just under 7K) 3 times a week and some times 4. I need at least a day of rest in between to not over exert my knees and back. No marathons, competitions or fun runs for me; I'm a lone runner and I prefer to start early, usually before 6:00am. Used to be 3:00am-ish when I was working.

I'll use the treadmill at the rec center when it's really bad outside; icy roads being the number 1 impediment. Fortunately that's only happened 2x this winter so far. This week I had one morning where it was a comfortable dry 22F degrees with no wind. I'll take that any day over the summer months here in DC. Light to medium rain wins out over the treadmill as long as it's not cold.

Normally 6 miles. If I'm feeling good at the end , I'll run down to the Verdugo park and back to make it a little over 7. But I have to be feeling strong because it's uphill coming back.

Recovery runs (1 or 2 days a week) are usually 4 but Monday I only did 2.5 as I ran 11.34 on Sunday in just under 2 hours . I had planned on 4 but my legs wouldn't do it. I never push things, always listen to my body. I'm certain that's why I've been able to stay in the game so long.

On weekends, depending on gigs, my long run is 8 -10 miles. I'd like to start bumping that up again to the 12 - 13 mile area. Since I've slowed down SO much and it's really hilly around me, a 12 miler would take me around 2:10 on my normal road courselonger on trails. I used to do them in 1:40 to 1:45 but then age became an extenuating factor.

When everything is right, I try to run 6 days with one day of total rest. If I have a nagging injury or I feel something not quite right, I'll take more days of recovery.

I used to run with people from 2 different running clubs at least 2-3 times a week. Now it's rare when I hook up with other people. It's just me and my 3 yr. old Border Collie Lacey. She's with me on every run.

Before my agoraphobia got really bad, I was doing between 3 and 4 miles, 3x a week, with one long run (between 6 and 8 miles) once a week, and only if it's above 50F degrees, as I cannot stand cold weather.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I can't stand cold weather either, but I've gotten a bit used to it. I also have a bunch of cold weather running gear such as long tights, long sleeve shirt, gloves, and if it gets really bad, a hood! The trick for me is figuring out how much to wear. Yesterday and today I misjudged and overdressed a bit. Today it got warmer because I ran later.

60° and up I wear shorts. A lot of people who know me would be surprised by that because I never wear shorts and I usually think below 70° is chilly. But not when I'm running!

Thanks for all the reports so far. I'm curious where I go next with this. I didn't make the full 5k today for some reason, but I'm not worried about it. I know some days are easier than others.

Skimmed over this thread with interest - great to see so many folks keeping up with their fitness. I've always run two or three miles a few times a week, but never considered myself a "runner." I'm more of a "plodder." A few years ago, I thought I should challenge myself to train for a marathon. I had never so much as run an organized 5K when I ran my first marathon. I was slow (I'm fairly certain I saw a tortoise pass me around mile 18), but I finished. I've run two more since, improving my time each race. I actually got to where I enjoyed the training, especially the long (15-20 mile) runs. I enjoyed just listening to music, with no one bothering me, no emails to answer, no decisions to make, etc. Very peaceful in its own way - just have to focus on putting one foot in front of the other.

I registered for another one in May, but got sidelined with an ankle problem. Just had surgery yesterday which will hopefully resolve the problem. I hope to be able to run again by summertime.

Good luck with the ankle, Husker.

I would love to do a full marathon but right now I don't have the time for the training. I've done two halfs, though, and I know I have a full marathon in me. Maybe after my kids get in high school.

Keep running! :rawk:

Hope the ankle is good, soon, Husk! :thu:

I still can't imagine doing a marathon, but it's not as crazy of a thought as it used to be for me. The funny part is, how my wife has been reacting to my running. I tease her about me doing all this running, and she's often like, "I know :rolleyes: " :D

OTOH I'm encouraging her to do it. I'd really love to be able to run with her sometimes. "Otherwise I'm going to have to find another hot babe to run with... ;) "

The funny part is, how my wife has been reacting to my running. I tease her about me doing all this running, and she's often like, "I know :rolleyes: " :D

OTOH I'm encouraging her to do it. I'd really love to be able to run with her sometimes. "Otherwise I'm going to have to find another hot babe to run with... ;) "

It's a good way to spend time together. I've logged a lot of miles with the missus. We did the Philly Half together. We did 4 on a muddy, slushy trail on Saturday.

My times are a lot slower with her, but I think it's because we talk a lot, not because of her fitness, she's in WAY better shape than me!

• 2 months later...

Sigh.

I had to do a reset. I guess I was overdoing it, and started seeing a doc because of problems I've been having with my right hip/thigh. He was really against running (or doing any particular exercise) every day, as he felt you need at least one day a week to let those muscles recover. I started backing off and doing some of the stretches and rolling he suggested which helped, but not completely.

I started going again and by the end of last week I felt things starting to get bad again. I ran on Monday and it wasn't great either. Tuesday morning it rained steadily and I decided to take the day off, and I didn't run from then through Friday. Then, I had an idea. Jeff Galloway's method claims to not only build strength and endurance, but to be pain-free. So I've decided to try his "Easy 5K" app. I gave the first workout a test run on Saturday and I really liked it. The app can play music with the tempo matching the pace you should be going. It was funny because it started a song and I thought, "I didn't remember it was that fast," and I was right. When I finished that interval, it slowed the song down! :D

Anyway, I've decided I'm going to go with his program for the duration, skipping the days he says I should and see where that gets me. I'm bummed about not running as much as I was before, but hopefully this will get me back in the game better than before.

• 5 months later...

Because of the fractured pelvis/sacrum bone, my last run was on August 22. It was 3 miles. After that I had to stop and was walking up until Sept. 3. Then the pain got to be too much for even that.

I received the results of the MRI on Sept. 6 and have been mostly house bound since then.

But yesterday I ventured out for my first walk "for exercise" in just under 7 weeks. It was .63 of a mile and it took me 18:37. No pain, just walking very slow.

Today I bumped it up to my mile loop around my neighborhood. It has one short hill. It took me 24:10.

The Ortho cleared my to ride my bike around the neighborhood but said try to stay flat, which is difficult to do around here.

He wants another MRI at 3 months out before he clears me to start running again. I'm hoping for a Dec. 1st return date. But that's not set in stone as I'll adhere to his recommendation on when to start up again.

In the meantime it's walking and riding. In a couple of weeks I hope to be able to work up to start hiking the steep trails behind my house in the Verdugos - at least part of the way up.

Just getting out the last two days, doing the mile today and getting some oxygen to my brain and body feels incredible.

Congrats on that, Dave. I imagine being home bound all this time must have been difficult. I know I get crazy when I don't get my runs and walks in.

• 1 month later...

I feel like the first line in Fagen's "Deacon Blues" -- and it's pissing me off ! :mad:

Walking 65 to 75 minutes a day is good and I'm thankful to be doing it but I gotta get back to running.

Aug. 22 was my last run when I gimped through a 3 miler. At 4:30 today I meet with the Doc to see how the MRI looks from last Friday. Sure hope he clears me to start up again.

Dave, hope the MRI has some good news for you. For me, I am not the expanding man, but shrinking. Doctor told me to lose weight because he said I am pre-diabetic. My score was within the margin of error, but I lost 17 pounds anyway which is not insignificant on a 6 ft. 192 pound frame.

Anyway, it's kind of depressing. 20+ years and thousands of miles and to hear that is depressing!

But I gotta admit the weight loss has had a huge positive effect on my running. And I had a nagging hamstring issue for 3 years that has all but disappeared. But my dedication to running is not what it used to be because it is easy to think "what has it got me?". I'm 53.

Nevertheless, I will never stop running. I need a goal, maybe I'll do a half in 2018. :idk

• 2 months later...
I still can't imagine doing a marathon, but it's not as crazy of a thought as it used to be for me. The funny part is, how my wife has been reacting to my running. I tease her about me doing all this running, and she's often like, "I know :rolleyes: " :D
I came back to this thread to write about something else, and this was the first post I saw. It's funny because I've decided to do Galloway's training schedule for a half marathon. :o I don't have any plans for actually doing an official one, I'm more interested to see if I do it, or can do it.

Badges? I don't need no stinkin' badges!! :D

That brings me to my reason for posting. I don't care about my time generally. Have any of you done his Magic Mile? If I don't need to do it, I won't. I did 10k on Friday and my pace was pretty consistent throughout. If I do it, I have to find a track to run it on someplace I can access. I usually do my long runs on Fridays but school is in session so I can't use a school right now. And, I'm just lazy. I'd rather just run.

Yeah Joe, Dave speaks wisdom.

I've done 2 halfs and I used Hal Higdon's schedule both times. I'm not sure how useful the Magic Mile calculation is, especially with changing conditions. But knowing your mile time is handy, particularly if you are consistent, you can run anywhere and know the distance.

I really want to do another half this year, but I got nobody to run with. My wife needs a new ACL, she did the Philly Half with me. It's so much better running with somebody, the long runs can be pretty boring and lonely otherwise.

I really enjoyed both halfs I did, but the Philly one was totally awesome. The people lining the streets, costumes, music, just an all-out street party.

I'm looking forward to the time change here, then I can get off the hamster wheel and back onto my trails after work.

I encourage you to do a half, it's a blast.

I really want to do another half this year, but I got nobody to run with. My wife needs a new ACL , she did the Philly Half with me. It's so much better running with somebody, the long runs can be pretty boring and lonely otherwise.

My gosh, what happened ?! :o From running ?

Karate incident (she's a Black Belt :freak: )

First opinion was replace it (with cadaver ACL :eek: ), we are getting a 2nd opinion in March, but based on how she feels she thinks it probably needs to be replaced (she's an RN). She's mobile and in fact has a dance performance on Sunday. I don't understand how she can have a torn ACL and do all that when the guys in the NFL go off on stretchers. I guess it is the degree of the tear, but I don't know anything about that stuff.

Hope your healing speeds up, Dave!

A contrarian viewpoint? Just because my KC buddies can handle it?

I am now a speed walking dude. My body is not designed for running. It is what it is. I totally suck at running. Lord knows, I've tried it dozens of times, and it's just not for me on all sorts of different levels.

So, next best thing? Find a measured mile trail, and bring game. Move yourself from 3.8 mph to 4 mph to 4.5 mph and beyond. My best time is four miles at 4.7 mph, which -- in the world of fast walking -- is pretty nuts. Scary fast, faster than most joggers.

The good news? I can do it 6 times a week. I burn 500+ calories every time. No, I don't get the social thing, because *nobody* in my world walks as fast as I do. Oh well.

But the health benefits are obvious, and I'm not going to change anytime soon.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Thanks for the input, Dave and Joe. I'll consider signing up for a half, those are not bad reasons. :thu:

Chuck, I'm a fast walker too. I often get around 8 min/km when walking. I think that's around 4.7 mi/hr. More often it's closer to 8.5 min/km or 4.4 mi/hr. That tells me your times are pretty good!

• 3 months later...

So after 9 months and 8 days off ( but who's counting ) from the fractured pelvis/sacrum, I started to run again. It seems like it has been 9 years !

Today was day 6 back and I'm starting to see a bit of progress. I was able to extend the duration of all my run intervals to 6 minutes and only needed a 2 minute walk recovery.

And the total time ran in just under 4 miles was 30 minutes out of 49. In this early stage of comeback it seems I get best results out of running every other day and continuing with the walking or light bike on the off day.

Next goal is to run a mile without stopping. It's beyond humbling to see how much I've lost in the 9 months. :cry: