Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Heads-up: SpaceStation keyboard amp is apparently back

Just to clarify your point cphollis. I mentioned in previous posts the clear benefit (perceived) after installing the alternative coax Faital 8HX200 for my Acustic piano sound. In fact I have kept it in my SS3 since, as this was an improvement for my music style (mainly jazz) . I understood from Cdom report (who did the upgrade as well) that the Faital didn't work for him mainly because of the Nord EQ changes that are required for the adjustment. To be clear, this upgrade bring some benefits but could be optimized .
Steinway M!70 - Hammond B3 - Nordstqge - Physis piano H1 - Moog Prodigy - Piano Rodes MK2

Just to clarify your point cphollis. I mentioned in previous posts the clear benefit (perceived) after installing the alternative coax Faital 8HX200 for my Acustic piano sound. In fact I have kept it in my SS3 since, as this was an improvement for my music style (mainly jazz) . I understood from Cdom report (who did the upgrade as well) that the Faital didn't work for him mainly because of the Nord EQ changes that are required for the adjustment. To be clear, this upgrade bring some benefits but could be optimized .

It wasn't my ability to to alter the EQ settings on the Nord that was at issue. The tone, color, and balance of the SS3 was clearly affected (especially at louder volume, using the SS3 as a multi-keyboard amp within a blues/rock band context). So, replacing the original equipment with a higher-priced (perceived, higher-quality speaker) didn't work out for me. For all you GAS-ers out there, I still have the new Faital, sitting in its original packaging, waiting for a good home. PM me and make an offer.

NS2 / NE2 / PX-5S / Monologue / Reface CP & DX / Organ Grinder / Vent1 / MXR Talk Box / L6DL4 / Zed10FX / SS3 / B1200D

FWIW I just played a piano trio gig in a large new restaurant (Maybe 1500 square feet) with my PX5s and the SS. I forgot my stand--been a while since I gigged and I forgot a bunch of stuff!--but the SS was more than enough. Played softly at times and powerfully at times. Still would like a slightly brighter sound from the AP on the Casio but I'm working on it.

Doug Robinson

www.dougrobinson.com

FWIW I just played a piano trio gig in a large new restaurant (Maybe 1500 square feet) with my PX5s and the SS. I forgot my stand--been a while since I gigged and I forgot a bunch of stuff!--but the SS was more than enough. Played softly at times and powerfully at times. Still would like a slightly brighter sound from the AP on the Casio but I'm working on it.

This thread jumped the shark when Fonzie adopted that kid, but: I think room size is secondary to room type. Many reflection points = good SS3 room, almost regardless of size. Warehouse with cavernous walls and ceiling = terrible SS3 room, almost regardless of size.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

This thread jumped the shark when Fonzie adopted that kid, but: I think room size is secondary to room type. Many reflection points = good SS3 room, almost regardless of size. Warehouse with cavernous walls and ceiling = terrible SS3 room, almost regardless of size.

Is it coincidence that you invoke Fonzie on the day that Joanie died?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Is it coincidence that you invoke Fonzie on the day that Joanie died?

are there ever coincidences in the science of math? :)

in a way he's right. This improbable adventure has been hovering high over the lagoon ever since the first guy strapped on a b1200 to fix his magical "one-box stereo" solution and attempted to fly over the frothing sonic shark tank.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

...I think room size is secondary to room type. Many reflection points = good SS3 room, almost regardless of size. Warehouse with cavernous walls and ceiling = terrible SS3 room, almost regardless of size.

I bought a SSSV3 back in 2015 to replace my Traynor K4. I loved the SSV3, but sold it after 6 or 7 months after I wasn't able to sell the K4. And I regretted it every minute. I picked up another SSV3 last week (Thanks, Redknife!), used it at a dive-bar gig this past weekend, and had one of those "oh, yeah!" moments. I was dialing it in before soundcheck, playing my Hammond XK-3C (with Jim A's tonewheel set) and Vent through it. A guy walked in from a side room and said, "Man, I had to come over and check out that Hammond B3! Sounds like the Allman Brothers!" Put a big ol' smile on my face.

From my previous stint with the SSV3, in large open spaces where there is no wall or corner behind the Spacestation I've had good luck by setting up a false "back wall" using the Road Ready RRKB76W case I use for my Yamaha S70XS. I set the case on its edge and set the Spacestation at about a 45-degree angle to the case. It gives it a decent reflective surface, at least for one side of the side-firing speaker.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

I guess the v5 has a semi-official name now.

Big Spacestation Announcement

Announcing the Spacestation v.3 Lite for 2017!

(Which actually looks and sounds exactly like our previous Spacestation v.3, but is 7+ lbs. lighter!)

APD is pleased and excited to announce we have made the popular Spacestation v.3 stereo powered monitor even better by upgrading both the power supply and the cabinet materials. The new SS3 Lite is about 7-10lbs lighter than previous SS3 versions. This weight reduction is due to upgrading the older transformer based power supply with a modern switching or digital power supply unit (DPSU), and also, by changing the cabinet construction over to a lighter, stronger plywood material to replace the MDF particle board material as used in all previous SS3 amps. The new SS3 Lite weighs in at just 32 lbs., or 14.5 kgsbut still packs the identical audio power, tone and punch of all previous SS3 versions!

The new DSPU actually supplies more power reserve for the four SS3 class D audio amps and is also now more convenient as the DPSU is auto-ranging to work anywhere in the world regardless of the AC wall power and without modification. Just plug it into the AC wall outlet and it automatically ranges from 100vac (Japan), 117vac (US/Canada/Mexico), 220vac (Europe) and up to 240 vac (Australia).

We made no changes to the cosmetics or the audio devices, so the sound and performance is identical. The SS3 Lite delivers the same amazing 3D stereo sound everywhere in the room from a single cabinet at 106dB SPL max output.

We did NOT change the 4 class D amps, or the 4 transducers they drive thru our SS3 Lite tri-amped 3-way Front speaker system or our full range Side speaker system. So the sound and performance is identical, as shown in these SPL and frequency charts comparing the audio power and performance of the older to new SS3 Lite at near maximum SPL output levels, Using the same signal source the old and new SS3 Lite performance curves are nearly identical, with just a slightly improved low frequency performance in the newer SS3 Lite (due to the new improved power supply).

The new Spacestation v.3 Lite s is now in dealer showrooms around the world and ready for for immediate delivery. It was debuted at the NAMM 2017 Show and was already in dealer warehouses from the first of the year.

http://aspenpittmandesigns.com/big-spacestation-announcement/

Photos and graphs available at the link.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

They've been shipping the "Lite" version for six months or more. Now there's an announcement about it? To me this reads like an attempt to counteract the perception that the v5 sounds different from (and perhaps quite not as good as) the original. Not sure this is a good idea. As soon as you claim that "the sound and performance is identical," you acknowledge the possibility that somebody might claim otherwise. OTOH, maybe there's enough confusion out there over the design changes that Aspen felt he needed to stake out an official position.

I picked up another SSV3 last week (Thanks, Redknife!), used it at a dive-bar gig this past weekend, and had one of those "oh, yeah!" moments. I was dialing it in before soundcheck, playing my Hammond XK-3C (with Jim A's tonewheel set) and Vent through it. A guy walked in from a side room and said, "Man, I had to come over and check out that Hammond B3! Sounds like the Allman Brothers!" Put a big ol' smile on my face.

Thanks for the "shout-out". Glad it's working out. Wear it out, friend.

Chris

Main gear: Yamaha C7, Kronos 2 88, Moog Sub 37, CK61,  Kurzweil PC2x, Pearl epro, Mac/Logic/AUs

They've been shipping the "Lite" version for six months or more. Now there's an announcement about it? To me this reads like an attempt to counteract the perception that the v5 sounds different from (and perhaps quite not as good as) the original. Not sure this is a good idea. As soon as you claim that "the sound and performance is identical," you acknowledge the possibility that somebody might claim otherwise. OTOH, maybe there's enough confusion out there over the design changes that Aspen felt he needed to stake out an official position.

I'm no engineer, but from the little I do know I admit being a bit skeptical that you can physically change the weight of a sound reproduction enclosure by 20-25% and replace "the older transformer based power supply with a modern switching or digital power supply" without there being at least a slight difference in the performance of the unit. :idk:

Both Mike and I could tell right away which was which...and Alan said he and his friend said they could as well - heck, they thought the newer unit was better/sounded clearer!

Alan said:

In our testing the variables which made far more of a difference in sound, rather than the composition of the cabinet or difference in power supplies, were proximity to a wall, addition of a sub, or simply making minor adjustments to the onboard EQ on my Nord.

Aspen's announcement would seem to indicate that none of us could be right. :confused:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

A true scientific test would be to have a blind listening using maybe 3 of each type to see if there is a consistent perceiveable difference between the two models.

I think it's three models - I believe the original v3 was over 40 pounds, the second was under 40 and the third is closer to 30. Regardless, one would have to be able to get a few of all those units together to do what you suggest, and a bunch of people with qualified ears. Maybe not so easy...

For me, it doesn't really matter that much any more, tbh. I got way more than I needed when I added my K8 to the mix. KC community to the rescue once again. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I've been using the SS V3 with a MarkBass CMD121P bass amp and dual manual Mojo for jazz organ gigs. I'm pleased with the overall sound and playability of this rig. Volume across the keyboards is even and, to my ears, the bass is full, clear, and warm. And, all the pieces are of reasonable weight so I'm not injured or sore the day after a gig.

Here's a recording from a restaurant gig last week. Thought some might be interested in hearing it. The SS was sideways on top of the CMD121P and propped up at an angle so that the side speaker was reflecting off the floor which gave nice bloom at short distance. The recorder was on the Mojo and, because we were in tight quarters, the SS/CMD121P combo was only three or four feet away.

https://soundcloud.com/al-quinn-2/sunny-live

I've been using the SS V3 with a MarkBass CMD121P bass amp and dual manual Mojo for jazz organ gigs. I'm pleased with the overall sound and playability of this rig. Volume across the keyboards is even and, to my ears, the bass is full, clear, and warm. And, all the pieces are of reasonable weight so I'm not injured or sore the day after a gig.

Here's a recording from a restaurant gig last week. Thought some might be interested in hearing it. The SS was sideways on top of the CMD121P and propped up at an angle so that the side speaker was reflecting off the floor which gave nice bloom at short distance.The recorder was on the Mojo and, because we were in tight quarters, the SS/CMD121P combo was only three or four feet away.

Organ sounds great, and so does the player. Nice.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I have a MarkBass CMD121P (used when I play LH bass) and an EV ZXa1. I wonder--assuming I wouldn't want to take all three!--what would be better... putting the SpaceStation over the CMD121P for really full bottom, or using it with a ZXa1 for tone... which would be subjectively better at filling the room with sound (probably the CMD route, as it is inherently more omnidirectional, as the SS itself kind of is), which would actually give me more total output when needed...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Just bought a Soundcraft Signature 12 mixer to front-end my SpaceStation and realized I don't have any female XLR to male phone plug cables. Given that the mixer outputs are balanced and the SS inputs are unbalanced, which type of cable are people typically using:

XLR->TRS (i.e. ring floating)

or

XLR->TS

I know either should work but any strong opinions either way? XLR->TRS would probably more useful to me in other situations.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Here's a recording from a restaurant gig last week. Thought some might be interested in hearing it. The SS was sideways on top of the CMD121P and propped up at an angle so that the side speaker was reflecting off the floor which gave nice bloom at short distance.The recorder was on the Mojo and, because we were in tight quarters, the SS/CMD121P combo was only three or four feet away.

Organ sounds great, and so does the player. Nice.

I'll add my agreement with MOI's statement and also add that I liked the different arrangement. Most people do Sunny as a Latin/Funk version. It was good to hear a different beat feel on it.

Purchased a Spacestation Lite today. Same conclusion as with the unit I tested a week or so ago: the sound is either identical to or slightly brighter and clearer than my original. And 30.8 pounds is a winner.

Second winner is that On-Stage RS4000 folding tiltback amp stand. Wish I had bought one at least a year ago, and not wasted so much time trying to make their tripod model suffice.

Third winner is the suggestion (Aspen's, as I recall) that in small venues one should try aiming the Spacestation towards the back wall. What a difference!